Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Hop Loses Out

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

See 54 new posts in the "Hop sucks donkey balls" thread.

Hope all the activity means Hop's been fired.

Read thread.

Remember why I rarely come to the b-ball bored.

Look for bleach and a shot glass.

50+ new comments!!!!

Here I thought there would be some new take or information about Hop leaving or something, instead its Tommy trying to run Teq's ass and a "discussion" on the local talent UW doesnt recruit

Thread plays out as about the same as the basketball season did; decent start, issues but still some promise, absolute shit show collapse, Roadie trying to carry the thread like Stewart, more collapse, apathy
    I just like to help doogs find their way back home to Doogman where they can really shine.
    To put this in perspective, this squad would give its left nut for a Ryan Appleby right now.

Think about that. Ryan Fucking Appleby is a value-add to the shit show that Hop has cobbled together.

I mean, I love me some gritty whiteboy guards but when Apples is what you'd plug in right this second as an upgrade, that's just wrong.

Before CJ Wilcox he was the best 3 point shooter in school history, hell maybe the best considering he had fewer seasons at UW, I don’t care enough to check. I don’t think that’s saying a lot that he would be an upgrade on a team with only 1 actual shooter, who also happens to be a true freshman playing limited minutes. Apples was a valued piece on one of our best teams. I’d take an Appleby type every year if I could. Teams that can’t shoot suck. This team can’t shoot.
    BRoy, Appleby, Burmeister, Brockman, Wolfinger, Wallace, Gasser - all local boys. Sweet 16.

Year before - BRoy, Simmons, Nate, Conroy, Jensen.....Sweet 16

But 'historically' the local talent sucks. Right?

You're really citing Burmeister, Wolfinger, Wallace, and Gasser as proof of local talent = Sweet 16?

Get the fuck out with that take ... that's terrible

CAREER point/rebound/assist totals for those JAGs at Washington

Burmeister: 178/67/44

Wolfinger: 144/56/8

Wallace: 239/207/35

Gasser: 193/124/38

Wolfinger was never on a Sweet 16 team ... I think you're confusing him with Zane Potter

Two sweet 16s. STFU
    Only a scrub poster would cite scrubs as backing up his shitty ass points
    So those two Sweet 16's didn't exist?

Broy didn't go to Garfield? Simmons? Conroy?

Those squads were built on local kids - fuck off if you can't live with that reality.

Fuck off any way.

A guy that plays zone in pickup and brags about it....scrub indeed. That's rich. Fucking delicious.

I'm not talking about BRoy and Nate and Will

I'm talking about your preposterous inclusion of the scrub bench mob as evidence

Getting to the Sweet 16 in hoops is like bragging about going to the Alamo Bowl ... and I'm called out for Coug talking points

I don't brag about playing zone in pickup hoops ... I laugh about it ... get that part straight.
    You played zone in pickup. Nuff said. Don't try to be a revisionist.

That's a bitch move.

If I stayed on the court 4 hours a day 5 days a week and idiots like you couldn't beat me when we either a) didn't play defense or b) played a soft bitch ass zone ... then who is the soft bitch?

Work smarter not harder bitch
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Tequilla said:

@ Gladstone

Let me try to be a little clearer with my points ... it's fair that I've been responding to different aspects and points and likely not solidified any real opinion in full so let me be clear

1) There's plenty of evidence to suggest that there are NBA caliber players that come out of Seattle and Washington St

2) UW has historically not done well keeping in-state players at UW

3) Many of the recent players coming out of the Seattle area and AAU scene over the last 10 years or so has been iffy IMO in terms of doing much of anything (I think this coincides with the FOH vs Seattle Rotary world)

Throughout the history of the NBA, there have been a total of 61 players that have either played in the NBA and/or ABA and of those 61, 29 of those started in the NBA in the last 20 years (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=WA). It's probably missing a few local kids that have been born outside of the area, but it's a decent list to start the discussion.

Sorting the list by the top 20 scorers (overall points), only 6 of the 20 played college hoops at UW (James Edwards, IT, Nate, BRoy, and Spencer/Steve Hawes).

When you look at the list, what you see is a bunch of dudes that left the area for college: Jamal Crawford (Michigan), Jason Terry (Arizona), Marvin Williams (UNC), Doug Christie (Pepperdine), Avery Bradley (Texas), Aaron Brooks (Oregon), and Zach LaVine (UCLA). This list isn't including guys off the top of my head that I know were Western Washington guys that left like Michael Dickerson and Luke Ridnour.

If you look at the list of all-time UW recruits per 247 (https://247sports.com/college/washington/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/), it's a pretty telling story of some that worked out really well for us and a bunch of others that were some form of a bust.

If we go more recently of guys that we missed on not previously mentioned you can add to the list guys like Kevin Porter (USC), Allonzo Trier (Arizona), Peyton Siva (Louisville), and Terrence Williams (Louisville) over the last 10 years

So my point on the Seattle/Washington recruiting base is that while I have no problem acknowledging that there's talent, there's really not a huge amount of evidence to suggest that local kids are looking to stay home. In fact, the evidence suggests more often than not that they are prepared to leave home.

And to this idea that Hop hasn't recruited locally is one that doesn't really resonate with me ... in last year's class he signed McDaniels (Federal Way), Battle (Marysville Pilchuck), and Tsohonis (Portland) ... so when you are getting 3 guys from essentially your NW footprint, that's telling me that you're recruiting locally.

Someone mentioned that the 2020 class is pretty much trash locally ... and it's showing in that we've got nothing. We went for more big time recruits and we've failed big time there. This is where not having a recruiting strategy that hits internationally, etc. becomes a major issue.

I'm not trying to doog here but I really don't know what people are expecting out of Hopkins ... it seems like a massive amount of Monday Morning QB'ing to me. This year has sucked ... no question. But nobody would have looked at the recruiting class for this year and been disappointed in terms of quality or attention locally. The question for me is how he pivots off of this year whether it be one and done's vs widening his net for years where the local base isn't worth a damn, etc. Does he focus on recruiting the best talent possible and trying to figure it out or does he focus more on culture and fits? Is targeting more 3 and 4 year players going forward?

There's a whole laundry list of items to look at in terms of the on court product. I think @RoadDawg55 is on to something in saying that I think one of Hop's big misses (and this is a consistent Syracuse issue) is that he leaned more to long and lanky athletes instead of guys that can shoot. The game has shifted to the ability to space the court and shoot being the most important skill in the game (followed closely on being able to penetrate and create shots for others). We all can bitch at scheme but ultimately at some point players have to play with effort and execute. I've seen way too many examples of guys making selfish plays and creating difficult situations for themselves to just sit there and not say that the players have some accountability for it.

As for the season, my explanation for what has gone wrong is as follows:

1) Quade Green being academically ineligible

The team was 11-4 with Green and is 1-10 since then. When you look at the numbers, it makes a ton of sense as to why as Quade had the highest offensive rating of anybody on the roster and was the only significant player that had a defensive rating over 100 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/washington/2020.html). It's fair to be critical of Quade for not only not handling his business, but also to question what oversight was in place to prevent this from happening. It's impossible not to see how important Green's absence is when 7 of the 10 losses since Quade has been ineligible have been by 6 points or less.

2) Lack of defense/effort = immaturity

Everybody wants to play offense ... it's a sign of any young and immature player at any level of play in any sport. They want the glory that comes with the highlight and getting points. Anybody that has played any amount of sports knows that games are one through details and effort. Anybody that has played hoops knows the importance of getting on the ground for loose balls. We don't do that ... we waist bend. It's like people are afraid to get hurt. But the defense is bad. The hustle back is bad. The defensive rating on this team is putrid. Stewart is at 92.9, McDaniels at 94.2, and Carter at 94.5. When your 3 best players aren't putting in a great work rate defensively, it's going to filter across the team.

3) Naz wasn't able to take the leap

One of the areas that was required for this team to take a leap forward this year was Naz taking a leap forward and getting into a leadership role as a Junior. Instead of taking the reigns and running, particularly after Green got suspended, he's pretty much turned into a guy that is a high end role player at best as every single metric for him is either the same or worst this year. His shooting % is down as his shot selection isn't great. He remains a low 60% FT shooter. His scoring per 40 minutes is at comparable levels even though he's in theory being given more opportunities. His rating on both ends of the floor have taken dramatic dips. Not taking a step up to at least an honorable conference level, he's basically just turned into a supporting piece and shifted the brunt of the burden on the shoulders of young players that aren't ready to handle it.

Just who in the fuck do you think you are?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Here I thought there would be some new take or information about Hop leaving or something, instead its Tommy trying to run Teq's ass and a "discussion" on the local talent UW doesnt recruit

Thread plays out as about the same as the basketball season did; decent start, issues but still some promise, absolute shit show collapse, Roadie trying to carry the thread like Stewart, more collapse, apathy
    I just like to help doogs find their way back home to Doogman where they can really shine.
    To put this in perspective, this squad would give its left nut for a Ryan Appleby right now.

Think about that. Ryan Fucking Appleby is a value-add to the shit show that Hop has cobbled together.

I mean, I love me some gritty whiteboy guards but when Apples is what you'd plug in right this second as an upgrade, that's just wrong.

Before CJ Wilcox he was the best 3 point shooter in school history, hell maybe the best considering he had fewer seasons at UW, I don’t care enough to check. I don’t think that’s saying a lot that he would be an upgrade on a team with only 1 actual shooter, who also happens to be a true freshman playing limited minutes. Apples was a valued piece on one of our best teams. I’d take an Appleby type every year if I could. Teams that can’t shoot suck. This team can’t shoot.
    BRoy, Appleby, Burmeister, Brockman, Wolfinger, Wallace, Gasser - all local boys. Sweet 16.

You're really citing Burmeister, Wolfinger, Wallace, and Gasser as proof of local talent = Sweet 16?

Wolfinger was never on a Sweet 16 team ... I think you're confusing him with Zane Potter

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Those squads were built on local kids - fuck off if you can't live with that reality.

Fuck off any way.

A guy that plays zone in pickup and brags about it....scrub indeed. That's rich. Fucking delicious.

I'm talking about your preposterous inclusion of the scrub bench mob as evidence

Getting to the Sweet 16 in hoops is like bragging about going to the Alamo Bowl ... and I'm called out for Coug talking points

I don't brag about playing zone in pickup hoops ... I laugh about it ... get that part straight.

That's a bitch move.

If I stayed on the court 4 hours a day 5 days a week and idiots like you couldn't beat me when we either a) didn't play defense or b) played a soft bitch ass zone ... then who is the soft bitch?

Playing zone in pick up is a bitch move. You're not playing with any level of competition with that. That's old man with boxers hanging out of their shorts noon ball shit.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

Playing zone in pick up is a bitch move. You're not playing with any level of competition with that. That's old man with boxers hanging out of their shorts noon ball shit.

The dude that’s always getting beat is ALWAYS the one crying about switching to zone. Or the fat guy. Sometimes they’re the same person

It’s pick up. Man the fuck up.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

The dude that’s always getting beat is ALWAYS the one crying about switching to zone. Or the fat guy. Sometimes they’re the same person

We should become BFFs.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

Abundance on occasion but I've never suggested switching to zone.

Fuck that noise.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about

In college the guys I ran with were regularly beating teams full of football players. The football players that could ball would play with us instead of their teammates because we always won and the goal was to stay on the court instead of sitting 45 minutes.

We beat dudes that played for UW hoops ... we beat dudes that played in college ... we beat dudes that were playing overseas.

If we played some scrubs we’d junk it up a bit to get a bit of rest ... sometimes it was a stupid passive zone sometimes we’d blatantly cherry pick. If we dumbed it down and still kicked the shit out of who we played then the egg was on your face.

And when we played guys that we couldn’t realistically guard instead of shrugging shoulders and saying shit we are going to lose ... we’d change things up and try to figure out what would give a better chance to win. Sometimes that was a zone ... sometimes it was hard doubles to get the ball out of people’s hands on the perimeters ... sometimes it was me trying to get under 6’10 dudes to push them out a step or two and rely on our bigger guys to come over and either block shots or get rebounds easier.

Idiots that took my highly joking comment about zones out of context are the definition of fucktarded
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,150
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Tequilla said:

In college the guys I ran with were regularly beating teams full of football players. The football players that could ball would play with us instead of their teammates because we always won and the goal was to stay on the court instead of sitting 45 minutes.

We beat dudes that played for UW hoops ... we beat dudes that played in college ... we beat dudes that were playing overseas.

If we played some scrubs we’d junk it up a bit to get a bit of rest ... sometimes it was a stupid passive zone sometimes we’d blatantly cherry pick. If we dumbed it down and still kicked the shit out of who we played then the egg was on your face.

And when we played guys that we couldn’t realistically guard instead of shrugging shoulders and saying shit we are going to lose ... we’d change things up and try to figure out what would give a better chance to win. Sometimes that was a zone ... sometimes it was hard doubles to get the ball out of people’s hands on the perimeters ... sometimes it was me trying to get under 6’10 dudes to push them out a step or two and rely on our bigger guys to come over and either block shots or get rebounds easier.

Idiots that took my highly joking comment about zones out of context are the definition of fucktarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM

Why are you doing this to yourself...

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,438
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Every week at the IMA I would walk by the basketball courts before going to play racquetball and think, "Wow what a bunch of fucking losers."

True Story.
  • Options
    WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    As a few others have stated here, chasing one and done's is simply not a recipe for success in the college game. This is especially true for a school like Washington, but it even still applies to the "Blue blood programs".

Kentucky is a perfect example of this. Over the last 10 years, Kentucky has never finished lower than #2 in the final recruiting rankings, yet for all those stellar classes, they have but 1 national title to show for it, in the year when they had Anthony Davis who is just a freak, and only three Final 4 appearances, and none of those coming since 2015
    Now, don't get me wrong, i'd run over my own mother for Washington to win 1 national title and make 2 other Final 4's in a 10 year span, but the expectations at a place like Kentucky and a place like Washington are a lot different.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

sure.gif

D1 athletes would knock you the fuck out playing zone in pick up ball. Don't run that bullshit.

You have no idea what my basketball background is. Quit embarrassing yourself.

• Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

sure.gif

D1 athletes would knock you the fuck out playing zone in pick up ball. Don't run that bullshit.

You have no idea my background ... so fuck off with your assumptions

What I do know is that the guys I’ve played with have been on the same court and beat NBA players ... guys I’ve played with regularly played with the UW team over the summer

I’ve spent a lot of time talking with a lot of players in the college/pro caliber back in the day ... the only thing that gets you in trouble is foolishly undercutting someone on purpose.

If you’re playing with idiots ... then just about anything will get you punched
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Read thread.

50+ new comments!!!!

Two sweet 16s. STFU

Fuck off any way.

That's a bitch move.

sure.gif

You have no idea my background ... so fuck off with your assumptions

What I do know is that the guys I’ve played with have been on the same court and beat NBA players ... guys I’ve played with regularly played with the UW team over the summer

I’ve spent a lot of time talking with a lot of players in the college/pro caliber back in the day ... the only thing that gets you in trouble is foolishly undercutting someone on purpose.

If you’re playing with idiots ... then just about anything will get you punched
    No- you've revelled us with your glory days repeatedly. You have fun with that, Teen Wolf.
  • Options
    OneNippleOneNipple Member Posts: 179
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    zone in a pickup game.....get out of here with that crap.