Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Hop Loses Out

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The funny thing is that the guys I played with we rarely ran zones (like 1% of the time) ... we doubled, clogged driving lanes, and dictated through defense who we wanted to shoot more than anything else

Only times we legitimately contemplated and/or played zones or comparable were when we absolutely didn’t matchup athletically and protected ourselves from obvious mismatches ... usually due to height and/or lack of ball handlers

It’s fine to give me some shit on it ... whatever I can take a good natured ribbing. When it’s used as a means to discredit, that’s full of shit
  • Options
    Zone? I played city league and I only had a few musts.

1) if they give you 5 fouls, you always use 4.

2) those four fouls are like currency, use them wisely. Meaning always violent and always sending them to the ground.

3) Always punish the first guy that tries to set a screen on you. When it happens, lower your shoulder and bulldoze into them as hard as you can. You never get screened again.

4) when rebounding, make sure early in the game you box their big man out of bounds. It sets the tone.

5) when you can’t shoot or dribble (that is me), learn to rebound and fuck people up.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,130
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

2) those four fouls are like currency, use them wisely. Meaning always violent and always sending them to the ground.

3) Always punish the first guy that tries to set a screen on you. When it happens, lower your shoulder and bulldoze into them as hard as you can. You never get screened again.

4) when rebounding, make sure early in the game you box their big man out of bounds. It sets the tone.

5) when you can’t shoot or dribble (that is me), learn to rebound and fuck people up.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895
    Tequilla said:

The funny thing is that the guys I played with we rarely ran zones (like 1% of the time) ... we doubled, clogged driving lanes, and dictated through defense who we wanted to shoot more than anything else

Only times we legitimately contemplated and/or played zones or comparable were when we absolutely didn’t matchup athletically and protected ourselves from obvious mismatches ... usually due to height and/or lack of ball handlers

It’s fine to give me some shit on it ... whatever I can take a good natured ribbing. When it’s used as a means to discredit, that’s full of shit

How many brothers out there know just what I'm gettin' at
    Who thinks it's wrong ''cause I'm splittin' and co-hittin' at

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maurice Lucas was a Sonic late in his career
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

6) You better be ready throw hands if you do these things regularly
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895

Tequilla said:

Letting the Kobe wannabes jack up long twos or finish contested shots at the rim is the way to win. Let the And-1 ball handler do his thing and fuck up finishing the play, grab the rebound and run. Most players have enough pride to not call a foul on any contact near the basket so it’s good to also be physical and right on the line of fouling and not fouling.
    Three’s in transition when you have numbers is another good, efficient way. Either you hit the three or probably get the rebound and an easy put back.

Like Teq, I rarely lose playing pick up ball. I’m a pretty good player tho and have never lost my ability to shoot. I can go months without playing and can step on a court and still get red hot. My handle isn’t as tight anymore and I definitely can’t jump as high, but I have more old man strength and play the typical white guy, shooter and hustler role very well.

6’2” is pretty tall for a typical pick up player too so I grab a lot of rebounds and definitely run the floor well. I normally lose after my third or fourth game when I just don’t have the wind to put forth the same effort I did in earlier games.
    I can still finger roll.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Letting the Kobe wannabes jack up long twos or finish contested shots at the rim is the way to win. Let the And-1 ball handler do his thing and fuck up finishing the play, grab the rebound and run. Most players have enough pride to not call a foul on any contact near the basket so it’s good to also be physical and right on the line of fouling and not fouling.
    Three’s in transition when you have numbers is another good, efficient way. Either you hit the three or probably get the rebound and an easy put back.

Like Teq, I rarely lose playing pick up ball. I’m a pretty good player tho and have never lost my ability to shoot. I can go months without playing and can step on a court and still get red hot. My handle isn’t as tight anymore and I definitely can’t jump as high, but I have more old man strength and play the typical white guy, shooter and hustler role very well.

6’2” is pretty tall for a typical pick up player too so I grab a lot of rebounds and definitely run the floor well. I normally lose after my third or fourth game when I just don’t have the wind to put forth the same effort I did in earlier games.

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

hi frodo
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the token Asian guy on the board actually being a 6'2" white guy. Next you're all going to tell me that Pup's not black!...
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Tequilla said:

Imagine caring this much about pickup basketball...
    I’ve been waiting for someone to say this.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The pride of Hurricane Hoops.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The original trash talking obnoxious Cane

The Sonics first trips to the playoffs coincided with the Warriors run to the title in the mid 70's. Sonic fans hated Rick. Poured beer on him.

The 76 title team was awesome as was Rick
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I remember my pickup basketball phase.