Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Hop Loses Out

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

The funny thing is that the guys I played with we rarely ran zones (like 1% of the time) ... we doubled, clogged driving lanes, and dictated through defense who we wanted to shoot more than anything else

Only times we legitimately contemplated and/or played zones or comparable were when we absolutely didn’t matchup athletically and protected ourselves from obvious mismatches ... usually due to height and/or lack of ball handlers

It’s fine to give me some shit on it ... whatever I can take a good natured ribbing. When it’s used as a means to discredit, that’s full of shit

Letting the Kobe wannabes jack up long twos or finish contested shots at the rim is the way to win. Let the And-1 ball handler do his thing and fuck up finishing the play, grab the rebound and run. Most players have enough pride to not call a foul on any contact near the basket so it’s good to also be physical and right on the line of fouling and not fouling.
    Three’s in transition when you have numbers is another good, efficient way. Either you hit the three or probably get the rebound and an easy put back.

Like Teq, I rarely lose playing pick up ball. I’m a pretty good player tho and have never lost my ability to shoot. I can go months without playing and can step on a court and still get red hot. My handle isn’t as tight anymore and I definitely can’t jump as high, but I have more old man strength and play the typical white guy, shooter and hustler role very well.

6’2” is pretty tall for a typical pick up player too so I grab a lot of rebounds and definitely run the floor well. I normally lose after my third or fourth game when I just don’t have the wind to put forth the same effort I did in earlier games.
    This is the most frustrating part about getting old and I really didn't expect it. I can still cross guys and run the floor, but at 33 there are times where I'm just completely uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball and my hands aren't where they think they are.

That and the knee pain.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

Seattle metro hoops is massively overrated in my opinion

Lots of dudes can play ... no question about that

But there have been a lot of dudes coming out of Seattle that play super selfish individual ball that flames out

For all those that like to say the local kids want to put on for their school, family, and friends locally ... historically that hasn’t been true in hoops other than for fits and starts

umm teq what is your greater point with this?
    There’s always this narrative that Seattle is this hot bed of hoops ... there are lots of very good players

UW has never really been the primary school of choice for the local kids ... that’s been true across multiple UW coaches

Most of the best players that this area has produced has gone elsewhere

I’m not super crazy about the general mindset that has come out locally tied to the local AAU level ... lots of kids playing individually and not tied to the team

Who is the last Seattle area kid that really did anything of consequence in college? Payton Siva?
    Depends on the context, but as I noted earlier. Malachi Flynn is the leading scorer on a 25-0 team. Elleby is one of the best players in the PAC 12. Stevenson is Wichita State’s leading scorer and Gregg Marshall compared him to Ron Baker and said he’s a flat out winner. Noah Williams on WSU is a good role player as a freshman and will be very good.

In state recruiting is vital. Superstars aren’t common and aren’t even that valuable because they leave after a year.
    I’m all for getting the local kids that get it and aren’t prima donnas ... tired of the kids that act like they should be sucked off that haven’t done jack shit
  • Options
    I only was present for the first half tonight ... but wow, just wow

Offensive sets full of dudes standing around with no clue what they are doing

Defense full of lack of awareness

Still not ready to join the fire Hop bandwagon but he’s got a lot of soul searching to do
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The original trash talking obnoxious Cane

The Sonics first trips to the playoffs coincided with the Warriors run to the title in the mid 70's. Sonic fans hated Rick. Poured beer on him.

The 76 title team was awesome as was Rick

I remember when I was a little kid and dad took me to the Kingdome to see the Sonics play Golden State. For some reason we were waiting in some line near the players' entrance, and Rick Barry walked right past me. He was a wearing a gigantic fur coat. I thought that was a bit of an odd look. But I was also in awe.

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,899
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I’m definitely rooting for losses at this point. I know Cohen doesn’t have the balls to fire him, but she should be fired if she doesn’t. She really should be fired anyways. She’s terrible and this is the only real hire she made and it’s failed.

They were fucking 4 for 24 from 3 last night and still kept jacking them up because they have quit on their coach and there is no offensive game plan. Raequan Battle is supposed to be their "sharp shooter" where that is his only job. He took 8 3 pointers on that game and only made 1.

I'm thinking now that besides McDaniels and Stewart leaving, Naz might try to go to and just D-league it for a couple years. I could also see 2 or 3 transfers. Hop decided not to recruit this year but he may have to start doing it really late and pick up some scraps just to fill the roster.
  • Options
    LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,209
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    I haven’t watched any of the last 8 games or so. I predicted a bottom third finish over a month ago. Looks like they’ll finish dead last! What an epic cluster of a season. This team is worse than any team Romar ever had which is comically bad
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,457
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    None of the players besides Stewart have any offensive wherewithal. Tsohonis looks like his ceiling is league average pg.

It's like Hop only gave a shit about whether a player would fit into his defense.

Successful teams doing that are the exception, and even the elite ones (Virginia) have had some embarrassing tournament losses.

Get him out of here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That being said at least my daWg Timmins still gives a shit.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The original trash talking obnoxious Cane

The Sonics first trips to the playoffs coincided with the Warriors run to the title in the mid 70's. Sonic fans hated Rick. Poured beer on him.

The 76 title team was awesome as was Rick

I remember when I was a little kid and dad took me to the Kingdome to see the Sonics play Golden State. For some reason we were waiting in some line near the players' entrance, and Rick Barry walked right past me. He was a wearing a gigantic fur coat. I thought that was a bit of an odd look. But I was also in awe.

Atta boy Rick.

Stalin, we? Hurricanes go big or we go home. Doesn't play well in Peoria, and it don't play well up here in the staid PNW. But down in my hometown, we? love it.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I haven’t watched any of the last 8 games or so. I predicted a bottom third finish over a month ago. Looks like they’ll finish dead last! What an epic cluster of a season. This team is worse than any team Romar ever had which is comically bad

Honestly, you could have seen this coming after what happened against a pretty flawed Oregon team in the tournament. And that was with guys like Thybulle, who can fucking play and bring it. It was an embarrassing beat-down, and when you have a team like he had last year and THAT happens, you know full well it's a coaching issue.

There's a reason that Syracuse didn't hurry Boeheim into retirement; they knew Hop wasn't going to be the answer.
  • Options
    Early in the game last night I thought that Jaden was going to foul out in 15 minutes ... I was wrong ... took 16 minutes
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

None of the players besides Stewart have any offensive wherewithal. Tsohonis looks like his ceiling is league average pg.

It's like Hop only gave a shit about whether a player would fit into his defense.

Successful teams doing that are the exception, and even the elite ones (Virginia) have had some embarrassing tournament losses.

Get him out of here.

Guys like Thubulle, Dickerson, and even Crisp had a few moments early in their careers but were nothing special because they played for a shit coach and had basically quit and we’re running thru the motions.

We are seeing the same thing. Battle and Tsohonis are possibly good enough to be quality players on a Pac 12 winner, but not alone. They sure as fuck aren’t stars or guys that should be your best players.

They need to be developed by someone other than Hop and need 5 other good players that we don’t currently have.

No re-inforcements are coming. Hop maybe thought he could get another high 4 or 5 star player late in the process after they saw Stewart and McDaniels lead UW to the tournament. That didn’t happen. No good grad transfer or recruit is gonna want to come play for the last place team in the PAC 12. Hop gotta go and we all know it.

At least Romar had the Porter brothers coming. Fuck Basnight for thinking firing Romar was a blunder, but I’m being serious. The Porter brothers, Nowell, and the Stanford PG were more valuable than Hop and the roster we will have next season. Fuck, even this season considering we are dead fucking last in the PAC 12.
    Yeah, he took some risks and they backfired.

I agree Tsohonis and Battle and maybe Roberts are guys that in a responsible program become pieces at the end.

The football team was such an embarrassment and it's hard to believe this team is on another level.

Jesus Christ what the fuck is going on
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Early in the game last night I thought that Jaden was going to foul out in 15 minutes ... I was wrong ... took 16 minutes

Jaden got called for some bullshit ticky tacky fouls it's like the refs were targeting him word to Ed Rush. Jaden had 18 pts, 15 rebs in their first meeting and the Pac 12 couldn't let the UW upset a tournament (NCAA, NIT) bound team. Pac 12 basketball is a business and the refs are doing Larry Scott's bidding. The faster Jaden is in the NBA the better for him because Pac 12 refs are as crooked as they come.
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mike Hopkins and his Trump Cabinet looking basketball staff need to get the fuck outta Montlake ASAP. Mike Hopkins has 12 staff positions to fill under him as per the UW's men's basketball roster on the UW's official athletic site but has only 2 African Americans on his staff- Conroy and Dollar. At least Romar always had a basketball staff that was diverse, inclusive not exclusive. Mike Hopkins will recruit African Americans recruits (12 of 13 scholarships athletes are African American) but he won't hire them outside of the 2 that he requires to mediate between him and African American recruits.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Jaden got called for some bullshit ticky tacky fouls it's like the refs were targeting him word to Ed Rush. Jaden had 18 pts, 15 rebs in their first meeting and the Pac 12 couldn't let the UW upset a tournament (NCAA, NIT) bound team. Pac 12 basketball is a business and the refs are doing Larry Scott's bidding. The faster Jaden is in the NBA the better for him because Pac 12 refs are as crooked as they come.
    If Jaden goes to the NBA after this year, with his current maturity level, he'll be going up/down between the NBA and G-League for the next 2 years minimum. He also will have a good chance of washing out of the league at the end of his rookie contract and turning into an overseas player just like Tony Wroten.

But go ahead and suck him off like he's this innocent victim that just has had everybody against him all year ... it's an absolute dog shit take.