Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Hop Loses Out

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    whlinder said:

Cohen needs men's rowboat to save her jerb at this point. What a flaming dumpster fire the athletic department has become in the past year.

her job is very, very safe
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,091
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

BaldwinIV said:

Cohen is in for a rough year. Hopkins is flaming out to a degree of failure never remotely imagined. Lake almost assuredly will be a massive bust, as evidenced by his hiring of Donovan which might be the worst OC hire in the history of college football. Both are first-time HCs learning on the job, massively, massively in over their heads. At an elite university and with the tools and recruiting base to succeed quickly and sustainably.

Embarrassing.

Imagine agreeing with this.
    He's hyperbolic but this isn't the best time for you to slither out with your passive aggressive, peanut IQ doogisms. Run along.
    The Hop stuff is spot on. Torching Lake/Donovan before they've even coached a spring camp is fucking ridiculous.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I really liked Hopkins but this past month has been a massive disaster. Romar flamed out going after the one and dones and he's about to. I don't know if he needs to be fired but it's pretty hard to argue against at this point. I don't get to see many games, but there is no cohesion and team chemistry, there's a lack of effort, and these prima donnas play for themselves. He would have been better going after the decent three star guys and following the Gonfaga way.

Gonzaga has figured out it is a 3 legged stool to be successful at the highest level: attract 3-/4-star and above recruits out of high school, throw in a couple international players and round out with a couple of transfers each year based on need.

Unless you're Kentucky or Duke, the one and done mentality is shit for building consistency.

I would love to see Randy Bennett at UW because he could do something very similar. A bunch of 3/4 year players and foreigners, some of those that end up very, very good.

The most valuable player in CBB is the three year player that starts or so tributes right away and is a seat by his last season.

The number fiasco is stupid, but it probably did okay a little bit of an affect regarding team morale. All players have to be treated the same other than playing time. Of you can’t do that, your teams will have negative aspects happen because of it.
    Brian Dutcher at SDSU is another. They more toward the African international player instead of the Aussie/Euro guys but same concept. He might be getting a little long in the tooth but also recruited the Fab 5 so he knows how Starbucks cups with money work.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

Cohen needs men's rowboat to save her jerb at this point. What a flaming dumpster fire the athletic department has become in the past year.

her job is very, very safe
    Yeah but when has that ever stopped us from calling for someone to be fired?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

That zone is shit. Didn't watch yesterday but did watch the Cuog game where it got sliced and diced. You can't play zone unless there's some SOME concept of defending man to man. Hop put them in this weird umbrella 4-1 kind of configuration with spread arms and hopes they get a deflection or a steal.

There's no pressure on the ball, there's no recognition of picking up off-ball cutters flashing middle and baseline. Once in a while they extend the defense and try to trap out of it - but overall it's shit. Complete shit.

The effort on D in the zone is terrible

The effort on D playing man to man is terrible

Lots of dudes on this team half ass it on D ... doesn’t matter what system we play

The only thing dudes care about are getting steals and blocks so they can fly the D end and get their SportsCenter dunks
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,832
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I really liked Hopkins but this past month has been a massive disaster. Romar flamed out going after the one and dones and he's about to. I don't know if he needs to be fired but it's pretty hard to argue against at this point. I don't get to see many games, but there is no cohesion and team chemistry, there's a lack of effort, and these prima donnas play for themselves. He would have been better going after the decent three star guys and following the Gonfaga way.

Gonzaga has figured out it is a 3 legged stool to be successful at the highest level: attract 3-/4-star and above recruits out of high school, throw in a couple international players and round out with a couple of transfers each year based on need.

Unless you're Kentucky or Duke, the one and done mentality is shit for building consistency.

agreed

Romar tried it a couple of times and it always backfired. They have little loyalty to the school and to be honest, their teammates and coaches. The team chemistry always sucks. It's one reason I barely watch any college basketball or the NBA.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

That zone is shit. Didn't watch yesterday but did watch the Cuog game where it got sliced and diced. You can't play zone unless there's some SOME concept of defending man to man. Hop put them in this weird umbrella 4-1 kind of configuration with spread arms and hopes they get a deflection or a steal.

There's no pressure on the ball, there's no recognition of picking up off-ball cutters flashing middle and baseline. Once in a while they extend the defense and try to trap out of it - but overall it's shit. Complete shit.

As someone who’s played basketball their entire life, my dick gets hard when I see the other team come out in a zone.
    Zone has a time and place and can be effective. The way Hop is coaching it -it is shit.

You think they'd be an offensive juggernaut because they are clearly not spending any time on the defensive end.

Zone is effective out of a timeout, or if it’s a full court press/halfcourt trap extending back into a junk zone that makes the offense work. If there’s no ball pressure, good passing is going to find a wide open look every trip. I can take 4 guys I’ve played with forever and if you give us a full 30 with no on ball pressure, we will get an open look every time.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think the team has given up or he doesn't give a shit or anything, the majority of the players he's recruited just suck that bad on offense.

Maybe he didn't think Nowell was leaving? Maybe he's a fucking noodle spine that doesn't know how to deviate from Boeheim's system that needs someone like Melo to put the offense on his back? No idea but get him the fuck out of here at this point..
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla still dooging for Hop.
  • Options

Tequilla still dooging for Hop.

Not dooging per se

But I’ve seen Hop pull guys aside to be coached up, pulled from games, benched, call guys out in the media, and it seems like nothing is getting through.

It’s alarming on many levels ... but I’m also not prepared to fire someone I think is a good coach because of a year where everything has gone wrong

Now, if things look like a disaster next year ... then let’s revisit things at that point
  • Options
    Doogles said:

This has to be the most bizarre year on record.

The Improbable come from behind victory against Baylor showed a grit and determination that erased any doubt the young freshman wouldn't be ready for prime time.

Now a double digits lead in the second half is a guaranteed collapse.

Probably a pretty uncomfortable locker room. Stewart is one of my favorite Huskies of all time, too bad it had to be like this.

What's crazy is they still have the talent to win the P12 tourney.

Exactly

They could just as easily be at the top of the P12 as the bottom of it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

The Improbable come from behind victory against Baylor showed a grit and determination that erased any doubt the young freshman wouldn't be ready for prime time.

Probably a pretty uncomfortable locker room. Stewart is one of my favorite Huskies of all time, too bad it had to be like this.

Exactly

Ummm, you haven't watched the last 10 games.
  • Options
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Exactly

Talent isn’t why they are where they are

They’ve been in positions to win basically every game they’ve played

I don’t expect them to do much of anything going forward

I do think they probably win 2 of their last 3 at home
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Exactly

Talent isn’t why they are where they are

They’ve been in positions to win basically every game they’ve played

I don’t expect them to do much of anything going forward

I do think they probably win 2 of their last 3 at home
    Hop is terrible dude. Lived off Nowell and Thybulle and Dickerson and 2 good college gets.

He's shit. It's embarrassing for the Pac 12. Like why even poach from NY State if you're in Seattle metro. One and done is a net negative. What a shitshow.

Jen needs to cut bait.
  • Options
    Seattle metro hoops is massively overrated in my opinion

Lots of dudes can play ... no question about that

But there have been a lot of dudes coming out of Seattle that play super selfish individual ball that flames out

For all those that like to say the local kids want to put on for their school, family, and friends locally ... historically that hasn’t been true in hoops other than for fits and starts