Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Jimmy lands Costello...

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,325
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Costello would be a massive QB upgrade for the 2020 Washington team

Maybe. You like everyone else dont know that though.
    I'm with Terrance and Phillip on this one. The Hardcore Husky Way seems to be to complain about something and then almost immediately contradict that complaint with the next one.

When Haener was in the neverending QB battle, it was, "Get Sirmon in there; he's a million times more talented." Now it's, "Sirmon is shitty, and only a transfer QB can save us."

I suppose there's a needle you can thread whereby both are correct, but... What I saw during the Petersen era is that the offense looked broken no matter what QB was running it. Cyler Miles had a gimpy hip and awful throwing motion, but he actually looked decent in his one game in the spread-to-run offense Sark stole from Arizona et al., then he went downhill from there. Browning seemed to get worse every year in the system. Eason seemed to get worse every game he played.

That's three completely different quarterbacks, physically and mentally, and all of them regressed. Which is to say I don't think any of us have any fucking clue what Sirmon or Morris can do. We DEFINITELY don't have any clue what Garbers can do. New head coach. New OC. New offense. Three new OL starters. New receivers. New RB1. This is a complete reshuffle, and it's entirely plausible that we see another Keith Price "Who the fook is that guy?" surprising performance by one of the current players.

Of COURSE a proven player like Costello is more likely to succeed. The safe bet is the one you actually have information to back up. But the extreme confidence here that Costello would definitely be an upgrade is strange to me. We won't even know what we had until the offense is fixed. If Costello came here as a freshman, running Petersen's offense, this might be a thread about our 2020 offseason natty now that that dipshit, run-backward, throw pick-sixes Costello is finally out of the program. With a completely new staff and offense in place, I wouldn't be shocked if Sirmon or Morris--or even Garbers stepped up and took that job.

The Coug thought for sure that Gage Gabrud* was going to come in and save them like Minshew had. Then he got beat out by unheralded JUCO transfer Anthony Gordon and was never heard from again.

*Apparently it doesn't go without saying that Costello is in another league from Gabrud, but that's irrelevant to the analogy. Besides, Sirmon and Morris and Garbers are also in another league from Gordon. Counting your chickens before they hatch is still counting your chickens before they hatch.
    Well of course we gotta wait for it to happen, but Costello is a huge upgrade. You are really overrating our players. Our QB situation without Costello is bad. I never liked either Sirmon or Morris.
    The quarterback situation without Costello is bad no matter what because there are only three of them, none have played, and one is fresh out of diapers. I'm all in for getting Costello, as it increases the odds of having a serviceable quarterback by at least 33%. He's not a certainty, though, even relative to what's on the roster.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,032
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

I'm with Terrance and Phillip on this one. The Hardcore Husky Way seems to be to complain about something and then almost immediately contradict that complaint with the next one.

When Haener was in the neverending QB battle, it was, "Get Sirmon in there; he's a million times more talented." Now it's, "Sirmon is shitty, and only a transfer QB can save us."

I suppose there's a needle you can thread whereby both are correct, but... What I saw during the Petersen era is that the offense looked broken no matter what QB was running it. Cyler Miles had a gimpy hip and awful throwing motion, but he actually looked decent in his one game in the spread-to-run offense Sark stole from Arizona et al., then he went downhill from there. Browning seemed to get worse every year in the system. Eason seemed to get worse every game he played.

That's three completely different quarterbacks, physically and mentally, and all of them regressed. Which is to say I don't think any of us have any fucking clue what Sirmon or Morris can do. We DEFINITELY don't have any clue what Garbers can do. New head coach. New OC. New offense. Three new OL starters. New receivers. New RB1. This is a complete reshuffle, and it's entirely plausible that we see another Keith Price "Who the fook is that guy?" surprising performance by one of the current players.

Of COURSE a proven player like Costello is more likely to succeed. The safe bet is the one you actually have information to back up. But the extreme confidence here that Costello would definitely be an upgrade is strange to me. We won't even know what we had until the offense is fixed. If Costello came here as a freshman, running Petersen's offense, this might be a thread about our 2020 offseason natty now that that dipshit, run-backward, throw pick-sixes Costello is finally out of the program. With a completely new staff and offense in place, I wouldn't be shocked if Sirmon or Morris--or even Garbers stepped up and took that job.

The Coug thought for sure that Gage Gabrud* was going to come in and save them like Minshew had. Then he got beat out by unheralded JUCO transfer Anthony Gordon and was never heard from again.

*Apparently it doesn't go without saying that Costello is in another league from Gabrud, but that's irrelevant to the analogy. Besides, Sirmon and Morris and Garbers are also in another league from Gordon. Counting your chickens before they hatch is still counting your chickens before they hatch.
    so you'd say 'new attitude and ready to rumble,' per chance?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Husky fans: "We only have two Elite-11 quarterbacks and one Elite-11 finalist in the quarterbacks room. Our QB situation is terrible."
    95% of college football fans: "Fuuuuuuuuuuck you."

We may hate the guys because the two last year didn't beat out Haener or because neither did jack shit in a game, but the NFL guys who worked with them at these camps thought they were good enough to build an offense around, and there are three to choose from. If you can't make it work with at least one of them, it's time to look at the offense. In the meantime, Costello gives you a third Elite-11 QB on the roster, so would seem to up these odds even more. That's a good thing, but I still think it's selling the other three a bit short to say with certainty that they're shit.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

Look at the refuse Peterson has recruited at quarterback since Moore

Imagine having confidence in his evaluations

Pete should go down as the most overrated offensive mind in the recent history of the game. I stood by him because he stacked titles like cord wood, but it sure wasn't his offense which led to those titles.
    Chip Kelly is also in the running.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    what's the date Costello needs to decide on this?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Maybe you haven't noticed but all the "Get Sirmon in there; he's a million times more talented" people poast at a different website now.

Personally I was upset that Haener was splitting reps with Eason, not that he was taking them from Sirmon. I was negative on Sirmon in the recruiting process and was heavy on #TeamYankoff. Obviously I was wrong about Colson but I haven't changed my opinion on Sirmon.

The day Morris committed I predicted he would be the 2020 starter but that was because Pete loves small QB's not because I ever liked Morris. With Pete gone I have no expectations for Morris to ever start here.

I stated last offseason that Eason was going to suck and it's because we don't know how to coach QB's. I hope and pray that has changed but Donovan inspires zero confidence. At least with Costello you have someone who has received quality QB coaching for a number of years before he gets here, which you can't say about any of the other guys.

And fuck off with the repeated Gabe Gabrud bullshit. Cougs think everyone of their QBs is going to be the greatest QB of all time. Gabrud never QB'd a D1 offense at a high level. He's completely irrelevant to Costello.
    You read the Goobrood poasts?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Maybe you haven't noticed but all the "Get Sirmon in there; he's a million times more talented" people poast at a different website now.

Personally I was upset that Haener was splitting reps with Eason, not that he was taking them from Sirmon. I was negative on Sirmon in the recruiting process and was heavy on #TeamYankoff. Obviously I was wrong about Colson but I haven't changed my opinion on Sirmon.

The day Morris committed I predicted he would be the 2020 starter but that was because Pete loves small QB's not because I ever liked Morris. With Pete gone I have no expectations for Morris to ever start here.

I stated last offseason that Eason was going to suck and it's because we don't know how to coach QB's. I hope and pray that has changed but Donovan inspires zero confidence. At least with Costello you have someone who has received quality QB coaching for a number of years before he gets here, which you can't say about any of the other guys.

And fuck off with the repeated Gabe Gabrud bullshit. Cougs think everyone of their QBs is going to be the greatest QB of all time. Gabrud never QB'd a D1 offense at a high level. He's completely irrelevant to Costello.
    You read the Goobrood poasts?
    Hell no. I'm just taking @1to392831weretaken at his word.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pete should go down as the most overrated offensive mind in the recent history of the game. I stood by him because he stacked titles like cord wood, but it sure wasn't his offense which led to those titles.
    I don't think I'd agree with that. Chip's 2009- 12 achievements dwarf anything Pete ever accomplished. He was a c-hair away from winning a FULL Natty. We should Saint Cam Newton the same we have Pat Hayden.
    They do, but he’s not an offensive guru at all. He’s sucked since then.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,053
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think I'd agree with that. Chip's 2009- 12 achievements dwarf anything Pete ever accomplished. He was a c-hair away from winning a FULL Natty. We should Saint Cam Newton the same we have Pat Hayden.
    He was a guru in 2009- 12. It didn't translate to NFL success and college defenses adapted.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

He was a guru in 2009- 12. It didn't translate to NFL success and college defenses adapted.
    Agree. Pete used to light teams up too, both as an OC and head coach until a year or two before he came to UW. Things change. Adapt or die. Chip has tried to adapt, but now he just has a boring, nondescript offense.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Yew knew hear?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Yew knew hear?
    Still trying to get my reads down.