Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2020 Class Prediction

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Woof said:

Woof said:

So I went 2 for 5 so far with misses on Yurosek and Shipley. By Eklund's metric, I'm batting like 143% though, so at least I've got that going for me.

Revised prediction:

QB - Garbers
    RB - Sunday and Adams
    TE - Redman and West
    WR - McMillan and Odunze
    OL - Memmelaar, Rosengarten, Hatchett, and Murao

OLB - Banks and Lolohea
    LB - Racanelli and Bruener
    DB - Esteen, Paster, Hector, and Covington
    P - Punter guy (IDK his name)
    LS - Snappy McSnapperson

Switching my doog hope from Smalls to Murao here because we're at least getting a hat on the table. I feel the least certain about Paster, and was tempted to add another WR considering how many guys we are chasing and my prediction that Racanelli will never play an offensive snap.

July and August were much better to my predictions. I went 6 for 8 in the past 7 weeks.

Mid-August prediction

QB - Garbers
    RB - Sunday and Adams
    TE - Redman, West and Overman
    WR - McMillan, Odunze, and Racanelli
    OL - Memmelaar, Rosengarten, Hatchett, and Murao

OLB - Banks, Smalls, and Lolohea
    LB - MacDonald and Bruener
    DB - Esteen, Smith, Covington, and Hector
    P - Punter guy

Given that I've hit on my last two doog predictions (Murao and McMillan), it's only right that I jump back on the Smalls bandwagon. That puts us at 23 for the class. I removed LS because @sonics1993 says we're taking a walk on and going to add him to scholarship later. I think Luke Lane is supposed to be decent enough as a backup that maybe we don't take anyone.

This class would probably end up around a top 15 class nationally, but I would be plenty happy with it. I generally think about recruiting as a 2 year horizon, and the misses from last year are mostly addressed in this class (OLB, TE, RB).
    In the spirit of holding myself accountable, I should bump this now that our class is pretty much set. I got Smalls right, but other than that I was in Eklund territory with my final few guesses.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dawgs206 said:

I didn't think we'd have less 4*s on 247 than the composite.

Garbers and Redman are 3* on 247. The trend in the past have been the other way around where our guys had 4* on 247 but dropped to 3* in composite due to ESPN rankings (Cam Williams, Jackson Sirmon).
    Yeah, Gaard is also ranked ridiculously low on 247
    That's one of the things where rankings don't fucking matter. The dude slaughters people, has every measurable in the book, and has like 30 fucking offers.

One of the gripes with recruiting services in pretty much every recruitable sport is the lack of focus on lesser recruited areas or classifications. The Washington services all want to look at 3a and 4a (for good reason, that's where the best players are). The flip side is that lower classification guys get ignored. That's not to say the levels of talent in, say, 1a baseball are close to 4a, but the 1a guys actually get completely ignored even when there are legitimate division 1 caliber guys there. The only saving grace is showcases that cost a shit ton.

It's similar with the national recruiting services lile 247 or ESPN. 247 is much better about it, but the focus is still on the areas with more talent, similar to the focus on higher classifications. So Idaho, which is basically a 1a football state in this comparison, gets essentially ignored. There may be legit high 4* caliber guys like Gaard, but the focus isn't there, so often they are rated far too low.

And, similar to the Washington recruiting comparison, that isn't to say that the recruiting services are necessarily wrong to focus on California and Texas over Idaho. The talent levels aren't close and the ratings are actually often a very good guide for how teams in CFB will do.

But it still remains very possible for a guy like Gaard to slip through the cracks. I'm not saying that recruiting services don't matter. They do! Ratings are overall very important on a full class basis in terms of average. It's simply that there will be misses that seem obvious in retrospect.

Taylor Rapp and Trey Adams are obvious examples.

Edit: TL;DR Gaard is good
    I know he told his coaches not to pull him out of class and he has no interest in other schools, but where did you find he has 30 offers?

This is coming from a big supporter of Gaard. Probably the most underrated commit we have. Didn't go to camps or pursue other offers. In his basketball highlights he goes down the court flexing after made buckets. Clearly an alpha.
    Pretty sure in an interview with Ektard awhile back, Gaard’s coach mentioned that once he committed to UW he told his coach to not allow any communication or recruiters on campus. Was mentioned that the entire Pac-12, half the Big-10, and then a handful of both the Big-12 and SEC schools had called to offer or start communicating and they were turned away.

I hope Gaard is that sleeper from Idaho like Leighton Vander Esch was and has a similar impact. We offered very early so I view him as a 4* level recruit.
    I thought his junior film was borderline 5* level. He's in the Troy Fataunu category. He's quick as fuck, is naturally huge and powerful, could easily play tackle, but will be a monster as a pulling Gaard. There really couldn't be a more obvious miss by the recruit ranking services. It happens.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

dawgs206 said:

Garbers and Redman are 3* on 247. The trend in the past have been the other way around where our guys had 4* on 247 but dropped to 3* in composite due to ESPN rankings (Cam Williams, Jackson Sirmon).
    That's one of the things where rankings don't fucking matter. The dude slaughters people, has every measurable in the book, and has like 30 fucking offers.

One of the gripes with recruiting services in pretty much every recruitable sport is the lack of focus on lesser recruited areas or classifications. The Washington services all want to look at 3a and 4a (for good reason, that's where the best players are). The flip side is that lower classification guys get ignored. That's not to say the levels of talent in, say, 1a baseball are close to 4a, but the 1a guys actually get completely ignored even when there are legitimate division 1 caliber guys there. The only saving grace is showcases that cost a shit ton.

It's similar with the national recruiting services lile 247 or ESPN. 247 is much better about it, but the focus is still on the areas with more talent, similar to the focus on higher classifications. So Idaho, which is basically a 1a football state in this comparison, gets essentially ignored. There may be legit high 4* caliber guys like Gaard, but the focus isn't there, so often they are rated far too low.

And, similar to the Washington recruiting comparison, that isn't to say that the recruiting services are necessarily wrong to focus on California and Texas over Idaho. The talent levels aren't close and the ratings are actually often a very good guide for how teams in CFB will do.

But it still remains very possible for a guy like Gaard to slip through the cracks. I'm not saying that recruiting services don't matter. They do! Ratings are overall very important on a full class basis in terms of average. It's simply that there will be misses that seem obvious in retrospect.

I know he told his coaches not to pull him out of class and he has no interest in other schools, but where did you find he has 30 offers?

This is coming from a big supporter of Gaard. Probably the most underrated commit we have. Didn't go to camps or pursue other offers. In his basketball highlights he goes down the court flexing after made buckets. Clearly an alpha.
    Pretty sure in an interview with Ektard awhile back, Gaard’s coach mentioned that once he committed to UW he told his coach to not allow any communication or recruiters on campus. Was mentioned that the entire Pac-12, half the Big-10, and then a handful of both the Big-12 and SEC schools had called to offer or start communicating and they were turned away.

I hope Gaard is that sleeper from Idaho like Leighton Vander Esch was and has a similar impact. We offered very early so I view him as a 4* level recruit.
    I thought his junior film was borderline 5* level. He's in the Troy Fataunu category. He's quick as fuck, is naturally huge and powerful, could easily play tackle, but will be a monster as a pulling Gaard. There really couldn't be a more obvious miss by the recruit ranking services. It happens.
    we took his commitment after his sophomore season
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

chuck said:

dawgs206 said:

That's really no excuse for the rating services. They can watch tapes just like anyone, but prefer to sit back and let the prospects' offers and camp hype determine their rating. So fucking worthless.
  • Options
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

dawgs206 said:

That's really no excuse for the rating services. They can watch tapes just like anyone, but prefer to sit back and let the prospects' offers and camp hype determine their rating. So fucking worthless.
    also the kid did not want to do the whole underwear olympics thing
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

dawgs206 said:

If they were worth a fuck those olympics would be where the unknown guys from off the grid go to get noticed. That's where the diamonds in the rough should be discovered. Instead it's a chance for scout services to fall over themselves trying to suck off the kids they already knew everything they needed to know about. It's a chance for clubs like FSP to spread their brand. It's a joke.

Gaard had highlights posted for all to see. The servicea saw him. They just ignored what they saw because he wasnt going to be a part of their hype machine.
  • Options
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

dawgs206 said:

If they were worth a fuck those olympics would be where the unknown guys from off the grid go to get noticed. That's where the diamonds in the rough should be discovered. Instead it's a chance for scout services to fall over themselves trying to suck off the kids they already knew everything they needed to know about. It's a chance for clubs like FSP to spread their brand. It's a joke.

Gaard had highlights posted for all to see. The servicea saw him. They just ignored what they saw because he wasnt going to be a part of their hype machine.
    you do understand their product is hype. so cant blame them