Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2020 Class Prediction

Comments

• Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

guntlove said:

It won't be a super exciting class but it won't be a disappointment either. We need to load up on offense with better talent so that's what I think they're gonna do. We've had classes dominated by defense recently so it's time to really focus on this pussy ass offense. You look at the offensive class they're lining up and you are looking at a lot of big, physical, tough dudes at every position. Big receivers, big running backs, big TE's. All of them are just big. This class will make our offense bad ass and equal to the talent we already have on defense. It's a meat and potatoes class. Won't be flashy. But will easily be the best class in the Pac-12 in a down year for talent.

I hear what you're saying... and I agree (if we actually get Adams/McMillan/Rosengarden/Hatchet) that it would be a pretty solid offensive class. But there's no good reason why our defensive recruiting should have to fall off in order to sign a solid offensive class. It's not just low on numbers defensively (which would be okay), it's way low on fucking talent in a lot of areas. LIPO, I guess.
    It is mostly because we are low on scholarships available for the defense. We have loaded up on defense the past two classes so now we don't have a lot of room on that side of the ball. You also have to recognize that the 2020 class sucks. There's just not a lot of elite talent to go around compared to previous classes.

This DB class will be elite as usual.

DL was always going to be just one guy because of the big haul they took last class. Shipley is an animal. When I watch a D-line recruit's high school highlights I want to see a guy who enjoys physically dominating other human beings, plays with relentless effort, and does it consistently. I see that from Shipley. His size and movement ability is similar to Drake Jackson at the same age. There are quite a few plays in Shipley's film in which he surprises you with how quick he is off the ball. The more I watch his film the more I like him. He could be a big steal for us.

ILB will be nonexistent. Just pretend Tuputala, Ah You, and Fowler are the 2021 ILB class because that's essentially what they are. They will redshirt and get bumped back a class while Calvert and Heimuli play right away.

The biggest disappointment right now is no doubt OLB. Smalls is now a long shot after whatever drama went on between him and UW behind the scenes that caused him to supposedly eliminate us in the Spring. Bama and Ohio State are not taking Jordan Banks, but Oklahoma will. He's not coming here. It also blows my mind that Damian Sellers isn't interested in UW at all. That's how bad Kwat sucks at recruiting. I think our best chance to get a legit level up talent at OLB in this class is to flip Jaden Navarrette from Oregon and I think that's a legit possibility with how good UW's defense is gonna be this season. I won't be surprised to hear he's taking an official visit to UW at some point.
    I'll never understand why Petersen steadfastly refuses to address this shit. It's been a huge problem for years. He had a chance to fix it with the extra assistant coach a couple of years back and he chose not to. Kwat's total fucking uselessness as a recruiter and Pete's steadfast unwillingness to address the problem is hurting the program. And It's gonna continue to be an issue against blue blood teams going forward, just like it was against Penn State an Ohio State.

This year's OLB recruiting is a fucking farce. Jesus... Kwat is so fucking inept... Smalls, Banks, Navarette, Sellers... he can't even get visits out of these dudes. He has no fucking clue. It's a really bad look for Pete that he hasn't figured out a solution for this after five years.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,122
    Founders Club

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

It won't be a super exciting class but it won't be a disappointment either. We need to load up on offense with better talent so that's what I think they're gonna do. We've had classes dominated by defense recently so it's time to really focus on this pussy ass offense. You look at the offensive class they're lining up and you are looking at a lot of big, physical, tough dudes at every position. Big receivers, big running backs, big TE's. All of them are just big. This class will make our offense bad ass and equal to the talent we already have on defense. It's a meat and potatoes class. Won't be flashy. But will easily be the best class in the Pac-12 in a down year for talent.

I hear what you're saying... and I agree (if we actually get Adams/McMillan/Rosengarden/Hatchet) that it would be a pretty solid offensive class. But there's no good reason why our defensive recruiting should have to fall off in order to sign a solid offensive class. It's not just low on numbers defensively (which would be okay), it's way low on fucking talent in a lot of areas. LIPO, I guess.
    It is mostly because we are low on scholarships available for the defense. We have loaded up on defense the past two classes so now we don't have a lot of room on that side of the ball. You also have to recognize that the 2020 class sucks. There's just not a lot of elite talent to go around compared to previous classes.

DL was always going to be just one guy because of the big haul they took last class. Shipley is an animal. When I watch a D-line recruit's high school highlights I want to see a guy who enjoys physically dominating other human beings, plays with relentless effort, and does it consistently. I see that from Shipley. His size and movement ability is similar to Drake Jackson at the same age. There are quite a few plays in Shipley's film in which he surprises you with how quick he is off the ball. The more I watch his film the more I like him. He could be a big steal for us.

ILB will be nonexistent. Just pretend Tuputala, Ah You, and Fowler are the 2021 ILB class because that's essentially what they are. They will redshirt and get bumped back a class while Calvert and Heimuli play right away.

The biggest disappointment right now is no doubt OLB. Smalls is now a long shot after whatever drama went on between him and UW behind the scenes that caused him to supposedly eliminate us in the Spring. Bama and Ohio State are not taking Jordan Banks, but Oklahoma will. He's not coming here. It also blows my mind that Damian Sellers isn't interested in UW at all. That's how bad Kwat sucks at recruiting. I think our best chance to get a legit level up talent at OLB in this class is to flip Jaden Navarrette from Oregon and I think that's a legit possibility with how good UW's defense is gonna be this season. I won't be surprised to hear he's taking an official visit to UW at some point.
    I'll never understand why Petersen steadfastly refuses to address this shit. It's been a huge problem for years. He had a chance to fix it with the extra assistant coach a couple of years back and he chose not to. Kwat's total fucking uselessness as a recruiter and Pete's steadfast unwillingness to address the problem is hurting the program. And It's gonna continue to be an issue against blue blood teams going forward, just like it was against Penn State an Ohio State.

This year's OLB recruiting is a fucking farce. Jesus... Kwat is so fucking inept... Smalls, Banks, Navarette, Sellers... he can't even get visits out of these dudes. He has no fucking clue. It's a really bad look for Pete that he hasn't figured out a solution for this after five years.
    Too extreme. Don't like it. Dude is the mastermind behind our D, and I won't allow his name to be taken in vain. What's he supposed to do with Kwat? Fire him? C'mon. Kwat took a title demotion to keep Lake on board. He's the key to our defense and Pete's right hand man, whether you like it or not. He got Latu last year, arguably one of the better specimens in the nation. Tryon is about to explode. We can only guess what's going on right now with recruiting in June. Some think Smalls is still in play. Not counting Banks out. Not counting Navarette out. Where's the blame with Lake? He's the D coordinator. I don't care if he's a secondary guy. He's everything now. If Lake is that good of recruiter, he should be able to recruit more than just the secondary to a team with a best-in-conference D for 4 years running and NFL draft picks left and right. Kwat is a COACH. Expecting him to be an elite recruiter is an exercise in futility. I'm perfectly OK with that, considering the results. Blame the offense.
    Pete is the boss, he can tell Lake to help recruit linebackers, so he gets the blame if Kwat misses on guys.
    That too. Agree.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

Too extreme. Don't like it. Dude is the mastermind behind our D, and I won't allow his name to be taken in vain. What's he supposed to do with Kwat? Fire him? C'mon. Kwat took a title demotion to keep Lake on board. He's the key to our defense and Pete's right hand man, whether you like it or not. He got Latu last year, arguably one of the better specimens in the nation. Tryon is about to explode. We can only guess what's going on right now with recruiting in June. Some think Smalls is still in play. Not counting Banks out. Not counting Navarette out. Where's the blame with Lake? He's the D coordinator. I don't care if he's a secondary guy. He's everything now. If Lake is that good of recruiter, he should be able to recruit more than just the secondary to a team with a best-in-conference D for 4 years running and NFL draft picks left and right. Kwat is a COACH. Expecting him to be an elite recruiter is an exercise in futility. I'm perfectly OK with that, considering the results. Blame the offense.
    Pete is the boss, he can tell Lake to help recruit linebackers, so he gets the blame if Kwat misses on guys.
    This.

Pete gets paid 4 mil/year to figure this shit out. He could have hired Gerald Alexander, but he didn’t. He could’ve given Lake more responsibility with recruiting OLBs, but he didn’t. He’s left Kwat out there on an island and the dude has been failing on a spectacular level for years.

Of course Kwat’s a genius coordinator... but he’s fucking terrible at one very important part of his job. So if we’re going to keep him around... which I think we should... it’s on Pete to figure out a way to get him some recruiting help. Whatever they’re going right now is not working at all.

I think Tyron will be good... but he hasn’t done a fucking thing yet to warrant that level of optimism. Also... Kwat doesn’t get a lot of credit for Latu... that dude was recruited by all the other poly signees far more than by Kwat.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

This.

Pete gets paid 4 mil/year to figure this shit out. He could have hired Gerald Alexander, but he didn’t. He could’ve given Lake more responsibility with recruiting OLBs, but he didn’t. He’s left Kwat out there on an island and the dude has been failing on a spectacular level for years.

Of course Kwat’s a genius coordinator... but he’s fucking terrible at one very important part of his job. So if we’re going to keep him around... which I think we should... it’s on Pete to figure out a way to get him some recruiting help. Whatever they’re going right now is not working at all.

I think Tyron will be good... but he hasn’t done a fucking thing yet to warrant that level of optimism. Also... Kwat doesn’t get a lot of credit for Latu... that dude was recruited by all the other poly signees far more than by Kwat.
    Wasnt there talk a couple years ago when he became DC that Lake would be helping out with recruiting the OLBs since Kwat was essentially the co-DC and they had Harris on staff? Nothing ever became of that. I also think Hamdan should be more involved in the offensive recruiting. He seems to just take care of QBs and that's it
    The Lake recruiting Bucks thing was pure bored speculation, nothing more. No one connected to UW ever said anything of the sort. It was just an HH Doog wet dream.

Yes I gladly partook in it.

Giggity.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,122
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019
    guntlove said:

guntlove said:

guntlove said:

This.

Mostly agree, but you can't not give credit for a certain coach pulling in a player at their position just based on how it fits your narrative. Do Malloe and Huff not get credit for pulling in their Poly guys also? You're basically saying Kalepo and others were more instrumental in recruiting than the coaches. While they certainly had an impact, that's too far. No, I don't know exactly how much Kwat impacted Latu's recruitment, but I'm giving him the feather in his cap anyway.

I love Latu so much.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

This is a great thread with lots of well reasoned responses and interesting discussion.

I was thinking the same thing! Nice work guys. I thoroughly enjoyed the last page and a half of comments.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Beno4Life said:

Since Malloe fucks on the recruiting trail and he basically has the year off after the 2019 numbers/talent haul and due to a weak sauce 2020 crop, does anyone have any info as to why he hasn’t been deployed more this cycle to assist Gregory and Kwat?

Before Savvy blasted us to Huffman, in that Athletic story that praises his Korean grade school teacher, Savvy explicitly said “Ikaika is my boy.”

I guess I’m just perplexed why Malloe wasn’t even able to get Botelho, Herbig, Banks, Sellers, and Savvy on an official. No blame toward Ikaika but just curious about his role in this class.

Anyone?

No idea? It would make sense to deploy him strategically onto some of the really top tier OLB/ILB since as you say this year for DL is pretty much a dead period, all year. Maybe he is busy making 2021 inroads?
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Esteen committed on his official but they don’t want it public yet for timing/recruit momentum purposes

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2019

Esteen committed on his official but they don’t want it public yet for timing/recruit momentum purposes

Sí he was told to hold off
  • Options
    Founders Club

Sí he was told to hold off
    You better PM the details
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Chinteresting.

You would think the staff would want him to announce now so as to generate momentum and buzz. It seems that would get a rise out of Hector, Covington, etc, in addition to the class overall.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Beno4Life said:

Chinteresting.

You would think the staff would want him to announce now so as to generate momentum and buzz. It seems that would get a rise out of Hector, Covington, etc, in addition to the class overall.
    Maybe they want to drop it timed with RR or something to really light the stick of dynamite
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

This is a great thread with lots of well reasoned responses and interesting discussion.

I was thinking the same thing! Nice work guys. I thoroughly enjoyed the last page and a half of comments.

It is impressive. Just proves we can have threads without AIDS