Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some watch shots

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Muscle car hawt talk is in short supply around here. Sad. I would think with all the rich people on this bored there would be more interested in the car scene.

I used to care about this stuff a long time ago, but my muscle / sports car doog died a good 10-15 years ago. I'm just another pathetic middle-aged loser now. I have an SUV, which Yella makes fun of anyway. He reminds me that it's a mom car. Yella can be a real hurtful jerk sometimes.
    *cross over SUV, mom car

I have a solid rear axle in my ride, like @Swaye
    I have two sport bikes, so suck it rowboat.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    This one, while nice, is a little busy for my taste. I think I prefer just a basic face without extra marks or dials, etc.
    Swaye said:

Tissot and Hamilton are considered entry level "nice watches." My first "nice" watch was actually a Hamilton many years ago. I love them. I have never bonded as much with Tissot, but they make a fine watch at their price point.

Appreciate the input, Watch Sensei. I have, quite literally, never owned or worn a watch in my life. Probably will never buy anything high-end, but am thinking about something that looks nice enough for work that can still be worn casually on occassion. Needs to be 36-40mm range in size because I do not have big, meaty rowers wrists.
    Every man should have a nice watch. Doesn't have to cost a thousand bucks (or tens of thousands). Just something nice that suits you. Good luck in your hunt. Take a look at Oris. Touch more expensive, but absolutely stellar entrance into "real" watches.

edit: And don't be afraid to buy used. Some fantastic deals to be found on used timepieces. You can find watches that were originally 3 grand for less than half that.
    What are good sites to shop used watches? I check eBay occasionally but there are a bunch of seemingly random sites I've never heard of that I find myself going down the rabbit hole on. I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling the trigger if I found my deal on any of them.

It's not made anymore, but I've been half-assed shopping this one on and off for years;

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Muscle car hawt talk is in short supply around here. Sad. I would think with all the rich people on this bored there would be more interested in the car scene.

I used to care about this stuff a long time ago, but my muscle / sports car doog died a good 10-15 years ago. I'm just another pathetic middle-aged loser now. I have an SUV, which Yella makes fun of anyway. He reminds me that it's a mom car. Yella can be a real hurtful jerk sometimes.
    *cross over SUV, mom car

I have a solid rear axle in my ride, like @Swaye
    I have two sport bikes, so suck it rowboat.

That's totally inaccurate. I don't have an AK-47.
    It's true. He is more into RPGs.
    Go big, or go home.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    This one, while nice, is a little busy for my taste. I think I prefer just a basic face without extra marks or dials, etc.
    Swaye said:

Tissot and Hamilton are considered entry level "nice watches." My first "nice" watch was actually a Hamilton many years ago. I love them. I have never bonded as much with Tissot, but they make a fine watch at their price point.

Appreciate the input, Watch Sensei. I have, quite literally, never owned or worn a watch in my life. Probably will never buy anything high-end, but am thinking about something that looks nice enough for work that can still be worn casually on occassion. Needs to be 36-40mm range in size because I do not have big, meaty rowers wrists.
    Every man should have a nice watch. Doesn't have to cost a thousand bucks (or tens of thousands). Just something nice that suits you. Good luck in your hunt. Take a look at Oris. Touch more expensive, but absolutely stellar entrance into "real" watches.

edit: And don't be afraid to buy used. Some fantastic deals to be found on used timepieces. You can find watches that were originally 3 grand for less than half that.
    What are good sites to shop used watches? I check eBay occasionally but there are a bunch of seemingly random sites I've never heard of that I find myself going down the rabbit hole on. I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling the trigger if I found my deal on any of them.

It's not made anymore, but I've been half-assed shopping this one on and off for years;

I feel like used Omegas are a good value in the $2K to $3k give or take range. Does that sound about right @Swaye ?

My next watch, currently working on a deal to get it new around 3500

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

I could not find a general watch thread (I'm too lazy to search) so I'll ask here. For my watch whores, is this an ok watch as far as being on the cheap end? There are several variations on color/strap.

@BleachedAnusDawg check out Seiko presage for a classy kick ass automatic. Here's a link it took me a few seconds to look up for one at Macy's

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-mens-automatic-presage-stainless-steel-bracelet-watch-40.5mm

Edit: that link is broken, but here is another I found on eBay on a leather strap so it's more similar to your original pic at a better price, used though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/174059503088

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,512
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

I really like this one but it was limited run.
    https://seikousa.com/collections/mens/products/spb089

Here's a collection of similar style. The entire prospex land, sea, sky line are amazing. Though some of these are higher priced

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/prospex/land

I like this one:

Edit: and another

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    Swaye said:

TAG has some really nice watches. I do tend to agree with @YellowSnow though that once you are paying TAG dollars you should stretch a touch more and get an Omega. TAGs are nice. Omegas are legendary.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    Swaye said:

I feel like used Omegas are a good value in the $2K to $3k give or take range. Does that sound about right @Swaye ?

My next watch, currently working on a deal to get it new around 3500

Killer diver.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    New (but year 2000 A serial) one for my stable:

Have always LOVED this 16710 look and size. I really like that this came with everything it left the factory with. Only missing the original sales receipt. And best of all, it's been polished before and still has dings so it is a wearer. No worries about keeping value up or anything. Just a good honest 20 year old example of a legendary watch. My GMT collection is getting to be fucking excellent.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Have always LOVED this 16710 look and size. I really like that this came with everything it left the factory with. Only missing the original sales receipt. And best of all, it's been polished before and still has dings so it is a wearer. No worries about keeping value up or anything. Just a good honest 20 year old example of a legendary watch. My GMT collection is getting to be fucking excellent.

Swaye said:

Sweet! Twinsies!

Congrats, you have been on quite a GMT roll my friend.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    spuden said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sweet! Twinsies!

Congrats, you have been on quite a GMT roll my friend.
    Can't beat a GMT! Most Rolex fans fall into one of three camps - Diver guy, Daytona guy, or GMT guy. I like all three and have examples of each, but my heart bleeds GMT blue/red/black/brown.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

@swaye, so here's an Omega vs Rolex question: So, obviously these are the 2 most recognizable luxury brands for professional watches. And MSRP on a new Omega Seamaster is $5,000 and a SS Submariner Date is $8500 (not that you can go into a store and buy it whenever you want). Is there really a difference between the two in terms of quality of movement and other material used that makes the Rolex command a lot more or is it all cache?

I guess I'm a loser because Connery wore Rolen and Piece and Daniel Craig wore Omega.

Many many people say the brand new Omega SM is a better watch than a Sub, from a technical standpoint, for 30% less. I can believe it. Omega has always been super good technically. And I think they are better at pushing the boundaries, whereas Rolex is a much steadier slow company. That said, the Sub is one of the 3 most iconic watches in history, and the Omega is not. I find the Sub to be much classier and more classic, and the Omega is sportier and more "now."

You can't go wrong with either. I have been asked before "What are three watches I should own before I die?" Easy answer. Rolex Submariner, Rolex GMT, and an Omega Speedmaster Professional (only the professional version though). To me those are the three most instantly recognizable watches in the world with the most amazing histories attached to them.