Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some watch shots

Comments

• Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Got myself a new watch this weekend!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Here it is. Still have to keep track of the sun to tell time but this watch will kill my dinner!

What model of stubby is this?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Here it is. Still have to keep track of the sun to tell time but this watch will kill my dinner!

What model of stubby is this?
    Mark2 with bull barrel. I really wanted the grey laminated stock but I was too impatient to wait for one so I went with the black composite. Scope is a Nikon 3x9
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Anybody have knowledge of Farer watches? I think I've settled on more entry-level (sub-$500) for a first watch and will see how I like it then decide in a year or two if getting something a little nicer is worth doing (automatic, higher-end brand, etc).

https://usd.farer.com/products/frobisher-2
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Anybody have knowledge of Farer watches? I think I've settled on more entry-level (sub-$500) for a first watch and will see how I like it then decide in a year or two if getting something a little nicer is worth doing (automatic, higher-end brand, etc).

Seen these on Hodinkee but don't know a bunch about them. Check reviews and then go for it if you like it and it sounds good.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

Farer watches seems like another microbrand. They’ll use a Swiss or Japanese movement and pair it with a case from China. It’s a huge industry and there are good watches to be found. For $500.00 you can get an automatic Swiss movement. In fact $475.00, for the Farer watch, is a high price for a quartz watch. An automatic movement (just the movement) typically costs $80.00 to $250.00, depending on grade. A quartz movement is in the $5.00 to $25.00 range. If you’re interested in microbrands I’d recommend Aevig Watches, Melbourne Watches, Zelos Watches, NTH Watches, Helm Watches, or Meccaniche Veneziane Watches. There are a lot more but all the ones listed have been doing this awhile and have a broad portfolio. Given the style you like, start with Aevig or Melbourne.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

Farer watches seems like another microbrand. They’ll use a Swiss or Japanese movement and pair it with a case from China. It’s a huge industry and there are good watches to be found. For $500.00 you can get an automatic Swiss movement. In fact $475.00, for the Farer watch, is a high price for a quartz watch. An automatic movement (just the movement) typically costs $80.00 to $250.00, depending on grade. A quartz movement is in the $5.00 to $25.00 range. If you’re interested in microbrands I’d recommend Aevig Watches, Melbourne Watches, Zelos Watches, NTH Watches, Helm Watches, or Meccaniche Veneziane Watches. There are a lot more but all the ones listed have been doing this awhile and have a broad portfolio. Given the style you like, start with Aevig or Melbourne.
    Thanks for the feedback and tips. Being a newbie to the watch game, I'm not really sure if "microbrand" is a description of the company or to be taken as something else, but I've seen that term used here and there. Seems like for some it's a way of devaluing something that isn't a traditional watchmaker product, but I really don't know any better.

I ended up ordering the Farer and it should arrive tomorrow. I did see other watches at that price point that were automatics, but being my first watch purchase I wanted it to be something that I liked the look of and that was of good quality. This one is a Swiss movement and is handmade in Switzerland, which is also something I liked (I'm sure most high-end watches are handmade). Decided to go with a quartz because I'm not sure if I'll wear the watch every day and I didn't want to deal with a power reserve and having to reset the watch. Didn't want a first purchase to put me off of pursuing something a little fancier in the future. If I enjoy wearing this watch I'll start thinking about something like an Omega in the future.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    I have a few Diesel watches. They arent expensive but look cool and fool plebs into thinking they are expensive. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have a few Diesel watches. They arent expensive but look cool and fool plebs into thinking they are expensive. Thoughts?

Wise choice if it helps with the ladies.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Went to the Rolex AD in Doha today. Great tim. Piles of sweet watches. Here is the ultra rare Daytona Cheetah. One of the ugliest watches I have ever seen, but the only tim I have ever seen it anywhere so I figured I'd share.

OH MY GOD!!! MY EYES!!!!

And I thought the Rainbow one was ugly.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    That Cheetah totally caters to Arab Sheikhs. The gaudier the better...
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good Lord, that looks like something a third grader would design.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Jebus.

Caught myself reading half of this thread and I intend to read through the rest ... but felt the urge to just comment "fuck youse guys ... fuck all the pictures ... fuck you Swaye for making me think I need to start collecting beautiful watches ..."

I need another goddamn cool hobby like I need another hole in my head. Damn.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    animate said:

Jebus.

Caught myself reading half of this thread and I intend to read through the rest ... but felt the urge to just comment "fuck youse guys ... fuck all the pictures ... fuck you Swaye for making me think I need to start collecting beautiful watches ..."

I need another goddamn cool hobby like I need another hole in my head. Damn.

Come to the dark side.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

U guyz sum small ballas

Come on. I'm at least a medium baller?

• Options
    Founders Club
    Here is a watch I have been looking at lately. Absolute top level finishing. Makes a Rolex look like a Casio. Great watch. Stunning blue.