Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some watch shots

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

animate said:

Watch nerd question:

where do these brands "rank" if Timex = 1 and let's say Rolex is a = 10 ...

Movado
    Tag Heuer
    Casio (lol)
    Breitling
    IWC
    Seiko
    Longines-Wittnauer ...

Movado (1 expensive fashion watch)
    Tag Heuer (3 for their mall stuff and 5 for their legit in house stuff - some good heritage with Heuer in the old days)
    Casio (lol) (-1)
    Breitling (used to be a solid 7 to 8, now the company is in bad shape and I'd put them at a 5)
    IWC (8 all day long - great watches)
    Seiko (Seiko is a 3, but Grand Seiko is an 8)
    Longines-Wittnauer ... 4
    No Omega? Hurtful
    I left out Omega because it's a sore spot for me.

I borrowed my dad's old Omega, vintage 1960's and I think I lost it. I've felt guilty for decades ...

All the above watches I've either owned or wanted to buy (IWC)

Movado - mid 90's. Girlfriend loved them ...
    Tag - mid 90's. Bought it because I thought it would be cool to have a heavy ass diver's watch even though I never dove.
    Casio/Timex - various Early 80's and on for sports and hiking
    Breitling - mid 90's irc because Letterman had one.
    Seiko kinetic - when they first came out because the marketing was cool.
    Longines-Wittnauer - back in the day when I used to play lots of tennis ....
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    animate said:

Swaye said:

animate said:

Watch nerd question:

where do these brands "rank" if Timex = 1 and let's say Rolex is a = 10 ...

Movado
    Tag Heuer
    Casio (lol)
    Breitling
    IWC
    Seiko
    Longines-Wittnauer ...

Movado (1 expensive fashion watch)
    Tag Heuer (3 for their mall stuff and 5 for their legit in house stuff - some good heritage with Heuer in the old days)
    Casio (lol) (-1)
    Breitling (used to be a solid 7 to 8, now the company is in bad shape and I'd put them at a 5)
    IWC (8 all day long - great watches)
    Seiko (Seiko is a 3, but Grand Seiko is an 8)
    Longines-Wittnauer ... 4
    No Omega? Hurtful
    I left out Omega because it's a sore spot for me.

I borrowed my dad's old Omega, vintage 1960's and I think I lost it. I've felt guilty for decades ...

All the above watches I've either owned or wanted to buy (IWC)

Movado - mid 90's. Girlfriend loved them ...
    Tag - mid 90's. Bought it because I thought it would be cool to have a heavy ass diver's watch even though I never dove.
    Casio/Timex - various Early 80's and on for sports and hiking
    Breitling - mid 90's irc because Letterman had one.
    Seiko kinetic - when they first came out because the marketing was cool.
    Longines-Wittnauer - back in the day when I used to play lots of tennis ....
    CSB for real.

Just buy a Rolex Sub and call it a day.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm posting this here, just for those who are following this thread and may not have necessarily seen my "I get packages..." thread. There are more pictures in that thread.

• Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm posting this here, just for those who are following this thread and may not have necessarily seen my "I get packages..." thread. There are more pictures in that thread.

Congrats! Looking good Billy Ray!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @spuden. Next, I want to get this very same model except white dial & TT. Then, I'll work my way into a Sub and a GMT master before closing in on a Daytona some day.

This one is fucking fantastic, but I would prefer it with a metal bracelet.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    Yep, a blue dial DJ is a glorious way to start your Rolex collection. And a full PM Daytona would be a glorious way to conclude it one day. If I may, some watches you may want to check out on the way through the adventure...

Bluesy Sub TT

Batman GMT

Pepsi GMT

Yachtmaster II Chocolate dial TT

No Date Sub

Sky Dweller (any dial but they do make a white dial TT that you could go for instead of the DJ white TT since you already have a DJ - I could probably help you get this from an AD as well - they are hard as hell to find)

PM Daytona (Rose Gold or Yellow Gold on bracelet)

Day Date: The big dog. EL Presidente. The top Rolex in the stable. The King. Long live the King.

Just ideas my friend.
  • Options
    Swaye - Congrats on the Blue Sky D!!! Post a pic here when you get there chance. That’s an awesome watch! I thought getting a GMT would satisfy my Rolex itch, but now I’m even more obsessed with finding the next one.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    spuden said:

Swaye - Congrats on the Blue Sky D!!! Post a pic here when you get there chance. That’s an awesome watch! I thought getting a GMT would satisfy my Rolex itch, but now I’m even more obsessed with finding the next one.

I didn't want to step on Bazey's big day! I picked up the SkyD Blue the same day he got my shipment to him of the DJ41 Blue.

Full collection as it stands today:

So, adding more to the collection huh? What are you interested in right now? I love talking watches!
  • Options
    That’s a great looking watch Swaye. I bet in person the blue is amazing.

At first I thought isn’t be a one and done with the Coke, but I now realize I want another one. At some point I’d like to get a Sub no date, but with how difficult they are to obtain at retail, I may also look at getting the 14060 rather than new. Although there’s really not much of a difference in price it seems between a good condition 14060 and 114060. I also took a look at the Vacheron Constantin Overseas in blue after you mentioned it and l really liked, but haven’t seen in person. The Sub would probably be better for me though.

I’m probably not in the market until at least after Christmas or maybe spring, but my wife is due in mid-April, so I’m thinking I could perhaps parlay that into another watch for myself...or try and convince her she’s look great in a Sub and “give” to her...for my use, although that might be a dangerous tactic to try and employ.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    spuden said:

That’s a great looking watch Swaye. I bet in person the blue is amazing.

At first I thought isn’t be a one and done with the Coke, but I now realize I want another one. At some point I’d like to get a Sub no date, but with how difficult they are to obtain at retail, I may also look at getting the 14060 rather than new. Although there’s really not much of a difference in price it seems between a good condition 14060 and 114060. I also took a look at the Vacheron Constantin Overseas in blue after you mentioned it and l really liked, but haven’t seen in person. The Sub would probably be better for me though.

I’m probably not in the market until at least after Christmas or maybe spring, but my wife is due in mid-April, so I’m thinking I could perhaps parlay that into another watch for myself...or try and convince her she’s look great in a Sub and “give” to her...for my use, although that might be a dangerous tactic to try and employ.

Hey buddy! The VC Overseas is STUNNING in blue and can still be found for around 18K. That's a great watch and i love the easy release straps and the fact that it comes with bracelet, alligator and rubber from the factory.

I have owned a 14060 lug hole case and I loved it (2 liner as well). Regret getting rid of that. I will add another no date one day. That's the Steve McQueen Rolex and too classic to ignore in a nice collection.

Long term your collection could use both. Have the vintage GMT and no date Sub as "classic" watches, and two of the most enduring designs in the world, then add a VC Overseas as your baller watch one day.

Dangerous game to promise it to the wife. Heh. She just might wear the hell out of it. Lucky for me Mrs. Swaye wanted a true "women's watch" and I got her a nice TT 31MM Datejust with Mother of Pearl dial and diamond markers - the quintessential "ladies" baller Rolex. No sharing for this redman!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    @spuden old picture of my 14060 2 liner for you. Was a great watch. I shouldn't have gotten rid of it. I'm a known dumbass.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Thanks for the suggestions, Swaye.

Yes, I saw the bluesy Sub on the Rolex Instagram a month or so ago and was instantly drawn to it. That's _the_ sub I would get. Wish I had the money right now. I'll just have to wait and then keep an eye on DavidSW & other grays.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

spuden said:

I didn't want to step on Bazey's big day! I picked up the SkyD Blue the same day he got my shipment to him of the DJ41 Blue.

So, adding more to the collection huh? What are you interested in right now? I love talking watches!
    Holy fuck I love you
  • Options
    Founders Club

I

Swaye said:

spuden said:

Fuck @Swaye it’s like the Hunt for Red October for you these days. The Subs are defecting from the fleet left and right.
    It's a GMT world we are just living in it.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

So, is Orkin hiring? My career choices suddenly seem suspect.

Always.

• Options
    Love the no date 2 liner Swaye. Agree you shouldn’t have let that one go, but you could always pick up another sometime. I think a classic no date Sub is probably what I’ll do. Too bad I waited so long to start buying...seems like I started right at peak prices and scarcity for Rolexes. Poor timing on my part. But this piss poor football season has allowed me to interest myself in something new, watches. I went to the Maryland Michigan game yesterday and just enjoyed watching a game with zero expectations of a come from ahead loss...then went home and watched that shot show. Luckily my wife had the smarts to change the recording since local Fox decided to show the Nats parade instead of college football...Thank you Larry Scott. But got back for kick off anyway.
  • Options
    Lol Swaye. the shot of your collection is kind of ridiculous...that is pretty baller dude.