Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some watch shots

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@swaye, so here's an Omega vs Rolex question: So, obviously these are the 2 most recognizable luxury brands for professional watches. And MSRP on a new Omega Seamaster is $5,000 and a SS Submariner Date is $8500 (not that you can go into a store and buy it whenever you want). Is there really a difference between the two in terms of quality of movement and other material used that makes the Rolex command a lot more or is it all cache?

I guess I'm a loser because Connery wore Rolen and Piece and Daniel Craig wore Omega.

https://youtu.be/NoRstEITESg

This video does a great job at comparing the two, this guy is obviously annoyed with the reality of the Rolex market, but he breaks it down nicely

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Good chit, @Doogles. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

@swaye, so here's an Omega vs Rolex question: So, obviously these are the 2 most recognizable luxury brands for professional watches. And MSRP on a new Omega Seamaster is $5,000 and a SS Submariner Date is $8500 (not that you can go into a store and buy it whenever you want). Is there really a difference between the two in terms of quality of movement and other material used that makes the Rolex command a lot more or is it all cache?

I guess I'm a loser because Connery wore Rolen and Piece and Daniel Craig wore Omega.

This video does a great job at comparing the two, this guy is obviously annoyed with the reality of the Rolex market, but he breaks it down nicely

Whole lot of butthurt in that video. The Omega is a fantastic watch. I've owned an older version of the Seamaaster and an Aqua Terra. And a Railmaster. And 3 Speedmasters. Love Omega. And he is not wrong, Rolex are impossible to get - unless you like 3 year waiting lists or paying way over MSRP. That said, it is very telling there is a line 3 years long to get the Rolex and you can walk into any Omega boutique in the world and there are 30 SMPs staring back at you. Both great watches. The Omega, as I said, is technically superior. But who among us saturation dives to 600 feet? lulz. Nobody uses any of these divers to anywhere near their capability. So whatever. I'd be happy with either. But Rolex is Rolex.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Doogles said:

Whole lot of butthurt in that video. The Omega is a fantastic watch. I've owned an older version of the Seamaaster and an Aqua Terra. And a Railmaster. And 3 Speedmasters. Love Omega. And he is not wrong, Rolex are impossible to get - unless you like 3 year waiting lists or paying way over MSRP. That said, it is very telling there is a line 3 years long to get the Rolex and you can walk into any Omega boutique in the world and there are 30 SMPs staring back at you. Both great watches. The Omega, as I said, is technically superior. But who among us saturation dives to 600 feet? lulz. Nobody uses any of these divers to anywhere near their capability. So whatever. I'd be happy with either. But Rolex is Rolex.
    He has a couple of great lines near the end that sum it up nicely, "Because sometimes, better doesn't matter...they may be better, but the real question is, 'do they make you feel good'? That is what it's all about."
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

I could not find a general watch thread (I'm too lazy to search) so I'll ask here. For my watch whores, is this an ok watch as far as being on the cheap end? There are several variations on color/strap.

@BleachedAnusDawg check out Seiko presage for a classy kick ass automatic. Here's a link it took me a few seconds to look up for one at Macy's

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-mens-automatic-presage-stainless-steel-bracelet-watch-40.5mm

Edit: that link is broken, but here is another I found on eBay on a leather strap so it's more similar to your original pic at a better price, used though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/174059503088

I actually really like this watch.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What do you watch aficionados think about these watches for the pours?
    https://shop.filippoloreti.com/collections/mens-watches
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm skeptical of anything that costs less than $1K and ain't made in Switzerland. But I don't know shit about watches.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This thread is gayer than full blown AIDS, bad for our brand IMO.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I'd pay a hundred or two hundred more and get a Hamilton, Tissot, or Seiko. The three entry brands in this thread are pretty much the best at that price point. But, as Yella said, if you can I'd just wait and save and get over a grand and buy an Oris. I have strong takes on best of breed at various price points.

250-1000 Hamilton, Seiko
    1000-3000 Oris or NOMOS
    3000-7500 Omega or Grand Seiko
    7500-60000 Rolex
    18000-80000 Audemars Piquet
    22000-111000 Patek Philippe

That pretty much sums it up right there.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    This one, while nice, is a little busy for my taste. I think I prefer just a basic face without extra marks or dials, etc.
    Swaye said:

Tissot and Hamilton are considered entry level "nice watches." My first "nice" watch was actually a Hamilton many years ago. I love them. I have never bonded as much with Tissot, but they make a fine watch at their price point.

Appreciate the input, Watch Sensei. I have, quite literally, never owned or worn a watch in my life. Probably will never buy anything high-end, but am thinking about something that looks nice enough for work that can still be worn casually on occassion. Needs to be 36-40mm range in size because I do not have big, meaty rowers wrists.
    Every man should have a nice watch. Doesn't have to cost a thousand bucks (or tens of thousands). Just something nice that suits you. Good luck in your hunt. Take a look at Oris. Touch more expensive, but absolutely stellar entrance into "real" watches.

edit: And don't be afraid to buy used. Some fantastic deals to be found on used timepieces. You can find watches that were originally 3 grand for less than half that.
    What are good sites to shop used watches? I check eBay occasionally but there are a bunch of seemingly random sites I've never heard of that I find myself going down the rabbit hole on. I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling the trigger if I found my deal on any of them.

It's not made anymore, but I've been half-assed shopping this one on and off for years;

TAG has some really nice watches. I do tend to agree with @YellowSnow though that once you are paying TAG dollars you should stretch a touch more and get an Omega. TAGs are nice. Omegas are legendary.
    That's all well and good if I was interested in such a hawt take. I don't care for the look of the Omegas so there's no value there for me. The Kirium makes my dick hard so I was wondering if there are sites to avoid or stick to in shopping for a used one.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    This one, while nice, is a little busy for my taste. I think I prefer just a basic face without extra marks or dials, etc.
    Swaye said:

Tissot and Hamilton are considered entry level "nice watches." My first "nice" watch was actually a Hamilton many years ago. I love them. I have never bonded as much with Tissot, but they make a fine watch at their price point.

Appreciate the input, Watch Sensei. I have, quite literally, never owned or worn a watch in my life. Probably will never buy anything high-end, but am thinking about something that looks nice enough for work that can still be worn casually on occassion. Needs to be 36-40mm range in size because I do not have big, meaty rowers wrists.
    Every man should have a nice watch. Doesn't have to cost a thousand bucks (or tens of thousands). Just something nice that suits you. Good luck in your hunt. Take a look at Oris. Touch more expensive, but absolutely stellar entrance into "real" watches.

edit: And don't be afraid to buy used. Some fantastic deals to be found on used timepieces. You can find watches that were originally 3 grand for less than half that.
    What are good sites to shop used watches? I check eBay occasionally but there are a bunch of seemingly random sites I've never heard of that I find myself going down the rabbit hole on. I don't know that I'd be comfortable pulling the trigger if I found my deal on any of them.

It's not made anymore, but I've been half-assed shopping this one on and off for years;

TAG has some really nice watches. I do tend to agree with @YellowSnow though that once you are paying TAG dollars you should stretch a touch more and get an Omega. TAGs are nice. Omegas are legendary.
    That's all well and good if I was interested in such a hawt take. I don't care for the look of the Omegas so there's no value there for me. The Kirium makes my dick hard so I was wondering if there are sites to avoid or stick to in shopping for a used one.
    Try Authentic Watches or Jomashop if you are fine with grey (no TAG warranty with these two but cheap prices) or for preowned just use Chrono24. I took the liberty of finding all the used blue dials for sale in the USA. There are 5 of them.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?countryIds=US&dialColor=710&dosearch=true&maxAgeInDays=0&pageSize=60&priceFrom=0&priceTo=-1&query=tag+kirium&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I'd pay a hundred or two hundred more and get a Hamilton, Tissot, or Seiko. The three entry brands in this thread are pretty much the best at that price point. But, as Yella said, if you can I'd just wait and save and get over a grand and buy an Oris. I have strong takes on best of breed at various price points.

250-1000 Hamilton, Seiko
    1000-3000 Oris or NOMOS
    7500-60000 Rolex

I’d add Ball to the second category for a Swiss watch. There’s a growing German market you should also look into: Damasko, Stowe, Muhle Glashutte, Laco, and Steinhart produce quality watches in the ‘I can’t/won’t afford a Rolex’ category.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

USMChawk said:
    Swaye said:

Try Authentic Watches or Jomashop if you are fine with grey (no TAG warranty with these two but cheap prices) or for preowned just use Chrono24. I took the liberty of finding all the used blue dials for sale in the USA. There are 5 of them.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?countryIds=US&dialColor=710&dosearch=true&maxAgeInDays=0&pageSize=60&priceFrom=0&priceTo=-1&query=tag+kirium&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0
    Add Gnomon and Long Island Watches to the list of reputable sellers.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

Swaye said:

250-1000 Hamilton, Seiko
    1000-3000 Oris or NOMOS
    7500-60000 Rolex

I’d add Ball to the second category for a Swiss watch. There’s a growing German market you should also look into: Damasko, Stowe, Muhle Glashutte, Laco, and Steinhart produce quality watches in the ‘I can’t/won’t afford a Rolex’ category.
    Ball does make a nice watch. And to be fair i did mention NOMOS. But yes, Glashutte in general is one fire.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,510
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Can anyone find this for cheaper than here? I'm having a hard time finding the exact same model from place to place.

https://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-01-733-7671-4461-07-5-18-87fc.html
  • Options
    Founders Club

Can anyone find this for cheaper than here? I'm having a hard time finding the exact same model from place to place.

https://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-01-733-7671-4461-07-5-18-87fc.html

Dude that's a sharp watch. I checked all my normal places and I can't find it anywhere else cheaper than 1200 bucks. I'm not saying it isn't out there cheaper but I can't find it cheaper at any of the normal places.

Use this as a search string in Google if you want to be really exhaustive:

oris 01 733 7671 4461-07 5 18

Nice watch. Good luck. Great dial. And Oris!