Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"OKG" is racist according to Oregon

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread is fucking embarassing.

I'm actually surprised at the level of reasonable conversation. Impressed that even ballz didn't go aids on the thread. Disappointed caps lock DDY hasn't made an appearance though.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

This thread is fucking embarassing.

How's that any different than any other thread here?

Strong argument.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    just fucking win
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

That's because you're white and see things through the white people lens.

Oh, we just happened to not recruit Tre'Shaun (Sav'ell's friend) and we are just happening to not recruit Gee Scott and DJ Rodgers (insert white people 'case by case basis' excuse here). And now Justin Flowe, Kayvon and Darnell Washington are all guys that haven't really been on our radar.

And, under Pete we have gotten one white parent or African parents on almost everyone... white people are like 'this is nitpicky' because they don't understand how stupid that sounds to people who live in black culture (which is not a monolith). This is like a little kid thinking that them saying they didn't eat a cookie when chocolate chips are all over their face is convincing.

White people are like 'HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF RACISM' and black people are like 'uh, look around'.

I don't think Pete is a racist, but I think Pete defines OKG in such a way that it so heavily slants toward slow strategy 'at least one white or African' parent, private school light skin u kids.

If you don't understand the difference between Kevin King's household and Aaron Fuller's or Ariel Ngata's then you just aren't really familiar with modern black life in America on any level.

This is dumb. Rogers and Gee Scott are half white, so your "we only recruit players with 1 white parent, polynesians, or black kids with African names" schtick doesnt really apply.

Ive said it before...our recruiting is impacted by demographics. We dont have as many black players because not a ton of black people live on the west coast. Also, you dont see a ton of polys and a chinese american safety at fucking Iowa or Kentucky.

This shit is actually really embarrassing for some here and is very flawed
    This is fucking retarded. Seattle is way more diverse than Eugene. Demographics have nothing to do with it. Oregon is pulling in kids of all races from all parts of the country. You can get anyone to go anywhere with a good enough sales pitch. We're just using a sales pitch that only appeals to slow strategy try-hards. Oregon's staff could have persuaded Thibodeaux to live on the fucking moon before our staff could have persuaded him to live in Seattle. Not saying I want Oregon's staff, so don't twist, but it's all about the sales pitch.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

That's because you're white and see things through the white people lens.

Oh, we just happened to not recruit Tre'Shaun (Sav'ell's friend) and we are just happening to not recruit Gee Scott and DJ Rodgers (insert white people 'case by case basis' excuse here). And now Justin Flowe, Kayvon and Darnell Washington are all guys that haven't really been on our radar.

And, under Pete we have gotten one white parent or African parents on almost everyone... white people are like 'this is nitpicky' because they don't understand how stupid that sounds to people who live in black culture (which is not a monolith). This is like a little kid thinking that them saying they didn't eat a cookie when chocolate chips are all over their face is convincing.

White people are like 'HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF RACISM' and black people are like 'uh, look around'.

I don't think Pete is a racist, but I think Pete defines OKG in such a way that it so heavily slants toward slow strategy 'at least one white or African' parent, private school light skin u kids.

If you don't understand the difference between Kevin King's household and Aaron Fuller's or Ariel Ngata's then you just aren't really familiar with modern black life in America on any level.

This is dumb. Rogers and Gee Scott are half white, so your "we only recruit players with 1 white parent, polynesians, or black kids with African names" schtick doesnt really apply.

Ive said it before...our recruiting is impacted by demographics. We dont have as many black players because not a ton of black people live on the west coast. Also, you dont see a ton of polys and a chinese american safety at fucking Iowa or Kentucky.

This shit is actually really embarrassing for some here and is very flawed
    This is fucking retarded. Seattle is way more diverse than Eugene. Demographics have nothing to do with it. Oregon is pulling in kids of all races from all parts of the country. You can get anyone to go anywhere with a good enough sales pitch. We're just using a sales pitch that only appeals to slow strategy try-hards. Oregon's staff could have persuaded Thibodeaux to live on the fucking moon before our staff could have persuaded him to live in Seattle. Not saying I want Oregon's staff, so don't twist, but it's all about the sales pitch.
    It's hard.

It takes a minute.

It's a process.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

This reminds me of a time when I was a young, impressionable college student, and I went to CVS to purchase some household products.

I had recently removed my long, shaggy hair, and was having a tough time keeping it in place. So among the items on my list was something to help with that. But I didn't know what hair product was best for me, and the riches of capitalism had me staring at an overwhelming amount of products and brands. Hair spray. Texturizing paste. Mousse? No way I could afford to try them all. I had to pick one. And I needed it to be the right choice so that I could elevate my odds of having sex with women.

"You look a bit lost there, young man" I heard somebody say behind me as I was reading the label on a bottle of LA Looks medium hold hair gel. I turned around to see a well-dressed African American man who appeared to be in his mid 30s. I smiled and replied "yeah, look at all these choices. They all seem to be calling for me. But I don't know what to get." The man motioned for me to step aside as he crouched down to grab a circular container from the bottom shelf. He then handed it to me. "Murray's Pomade. Are you sure...?" I said, noticing that the label featured 2 African Americans sporting well-groomed afro hairstyles. Had the man not noticed the white skin encompassing my entire body? "Trust me" the man replied, and then walked away.

After I finished shopping, I came home and applied Murray's Pomade to my hair for the first time. It was then and there that I knew I found the right hair product for me. I chose to trust the words of a man who was not only of a different race than me, but was recommending a product that appeared to be designed and marketed toward people of different race than myself. And it paid off. God bless America.

Bro, whatchu know bout surf hair?!

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Disparate impact.

I answered the thread in the very first reply. In two words.

Everyone that replied afterward should DIAFF.

No, Pete and staff are not intentionally racist.

Yes, their recruting approach has an adverse effect which is plainly visible in our roster composition compared to Oregon, UCLA, USC.

Yes, we will be negatively recruited based on that outcome regardless of intent.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Disparate impact.

I answered the thread in the very first reply. In two words.

Everyone that replied afterward should DIAFF.

No, Pete and staff are not intentionally racist.

Yes, their recruting approach has an adverse effect which is plainly visible in our roster composition compared to Oregon, UCLA, USC.

Yes, we will be negatively recruited based on that outcome regardless of intent.
    Not to be ignored and swept under the rug. Needs to be addressed bluntly. Take the gloves off Pete.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

lawsandl said:

I don't think Pete is a racist. But it's like saying 'i don't think Pete actually wants his dog to bit people' - if the dog bites people and Pete explains it away every time as a product of unique circumstances, you have to be like 'does Pete REALLY want the dog not to bite people if he's not doing anything to prevent it?'

Yeah, there may be an issue of bias and you didn’t throw the racist term around but more referring to the negative recruiting. Btw, I heard it was a player saying this and not the staff at Oregon. That was the insinuation at 247, I was told.
    I actually heard from a relatively reliable source that it was a concerted effort by the staff. I don't know specifically who.

But honestly, the data is damning. So, it's an easy point to make. If I were Oregon, the first fucking thing I would say to Sav'ell's parents is - 'we know you want your son to play close to home. How about playing somewhere that isn't using him up and doesn't respect him or his culture? Almost all players on UW have one white parent and usually the white parent was dominant in acculturating the kids. It's a white washed program. Here, we don't think there's anything wrong with being black, and we aren't trying to turn Sav'ell into a white guy.'
    1) This type of recruiting strategy isn't happening unless it comes from the top. It may be something that Cristobal isn't directly doing to make sure that he retains distance, but if this was something he didn't endorse this wouldn't happen. I can speak for myself personally that if I was a head coach and it got back to me that I had staff members advancing this kind of narratives they'd be fired on the spot. This would also be known and communicated well in front. This doesn't happen by coincidence.

2) Data can be skewed and leveraged for whatever narrative that you want to spin if you want to advance a faulty message.

3) I'd be surprised to hear anybody tied into UW under Pete that views him or his staff "using up players" ... in fact it's pretty easy to argue that so much of what they do is to sustain their players.

This whole narrative that Oregon's advancing makes me sick and honestly pissed off. It's absolutely fucking loser talk.
    I'm going to disagree with you on the first point. Cristoballs may not have any idea this happened and came from one of his coaches. I agree that with your business background, you'd fire the guy on the spot but Meathead Mario might not know and if he finds out, he'll tell the coach to knock it off but still keep him staff.
    It’s a fair point that it probably is a non-zero chance that Mario is in the dark here

Just seems like this is more coordinated than a one off ... but that’s just my logical slow strategy mind working
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    We have an expression in Russian, something like "It's more than true. It actually happened."

Because perception is truth, and if enough people believe in something it becomes the truth.

Any sane person knows that the Washington football program is not racist, but because of the approach they take there is enough to create doubt. This is nothing new, it's been a view held by some recruits and once there is a seed planted it can grow. Chip Kelly was accused of racism. Is Chip Kelly racist? It didn't matter because LaSean McCoy said that, and that alone was enough to make it newsworthy.

As for negative recruiting, whoever said that it comes from a position of weakness is wrong. Every single program does it, and Saban, Dabo, and Urban will take a steaming dump on any program if it means getting the teen boy who increases their chances of winning. Every fucking program thinks they're the only one who recruits like angels, when everyone is using every advantage possible.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Our roster makeup is not that much different than the other conference teams...jesus fucking christ
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

As for negative recruiting, whoever said that it comes from a position of weakness is wrong. Every single program does it, and Saban, Dabo, and Urban will take a steaming dump on any program if it means getting the teen boy who increases their chances of winning. Every fucking program thinks they're the only one who recruits like angels, when everyone is using every advantage possible.

some people and programs do negative recruiting with a little more decorum or skill.
  • Options

Our roster makeup is not that much different than the other conference teams...jesus fucking christ

You said that but as usual you just take your opinions as fact without providing any evidence.

I disagree.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019

You said that but as usual you just take your opinions as fact without providing any evidence.

I disagree.
    It's because I watch a lot of football. You don't, it's okay.

No one else is providing any evidence either. It's not like there is data on the racial makeup of CFB teams to cite.......you look at the roster pictures for all teams and put the data together, champ
  • Options

I disagree.
    It's because I watch a lot of football. You don't, it's okay.

No one else is providing any evidence either. It's not like there is data on the racial makeup of CFB teams to cite.......you look at the roster pictures for all teams and put the data together, champ
    LOL OK. If there wasn't a difference in makeup of Oregon and UW rosters then negative recruting wouldn't work, would it?