Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"OKG" is racist according to Oregon

Comments

• Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

This is ridiculous. Maybe we need to offer this guy and his friends to put this issue to bed.

Having you been reading the thread? Africans don't count.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2019
    What exact part of the okg pitch is coming off as racist? Serious question.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

This is ridiculous. Maybe we need to offer this guy to put this issue to bed.

Yeah, he's raw, but I can see him becoming a key contributor by his junior season, not to mention the recruiting effect.

Looks smarter than Benji Olson at least.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,184
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

This is ridiculous. Maybe we need to offer this guy and his friends to put this issue to bed.

Having you been reading the thread? Africans don't count.
    He's from Detroit.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    genzhusky said:

OKG system is basically asking for yes men and there is no room for overt individuality or personalities who can disrupt the system. It just so happens that this OKG mantra does not extend to a specific demographic. So like its not straight up racism, but you can argue that the system disadvantages or discriminates against the recruitment of African Americans. I'm not saying that I believe this but in today's PC culture everything is racist and it's honestly really easy to make the argument that OKG is racist. Personally I don't care how they act as long as they can ball but as long as Pete is the coach, his OKG system will stay in some capacity.

Pretty sure that we don't look for "yes men" in the program

We look for people willing to work their ass off, willing to put the work in to develop, and are going to embrace the process. The rest we only care about if you can play.
  • Options
    Domicillo said:

lawsandl said:

Domicillo said:

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

Part and parcel of the “I don’t acknowledge inherent biases“ culture
    Bias is different than racism and it’s important enough to distinguish between the two.
    Exactly why I said that, cause there is a whole segment of society today that see's anytime someone points out that something may be biased against a different racial group, their default response is "Are you calling me racist?". When asking people to recognize that the language we use, the processes in place or the manner in which we reach out may not appeal the same way to African American households, isn't calling someone racist. It's asking people to recognize that it exists and if we want to avoid that perception we need to actively change how we go about it.

There's a reason every time @Dennis_DeYoung has brought up this issue over the past couple years, he has to preface it with "I don't think Pete is racist". Because Pete isn't racist, but he has a major blind spot if he thinks his messaging and the perception of it is being received equally across all racial and other demographic lines.
    I largely agree with what you're saying ...

I get a little sideways when people start talk about "messaging" and "appeal" type things ... I get why it is important, etc. and been through a number of different examples via trainings that this stuff becomes so transparent.

The reality is that we're never going to all speak some kind of universal language. It's not going to happen. And there's so many different ways that people grew up, etc. that you're never going to be able to convey and connect in someone else's language at all times.

But to your point, I think that what is highlighted may be nuanced and change depending on the subject. That's a very fair point.

I don't think that Pete has a blind spot as much as that there are characteristics of what he's looking for that doesn't probably correlate as well to certain segments. I don't think it's race driven as much as what Dennis has pointed out regarding slow vs fast strategy.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I think Pete believes in melanin inequality.
  • Options
    lawsandl said:

Tequilla said:

lawsandl said:

I don't think Pete is a racist. But it's like saying 'i don't think Pete actually wants his dog to bit people' - if the dog bites people and Pete explains it away every time as a product of unique circumstances, you have to be like 'does Pete REALLY want the dog not to bite people if he's not doing anything to prevent it?'

Yeah, there may be an issue of bias and you didn’t throw the racist term around but more referring to the negative recruiting. Btw, I heard it was a player saying this and not the staff at Oregon. That was the insinuation at 247, I was told.
    I actually heard from a relatively reliable source that it was a concerted effort by the staff. I don't know specifically who.

But honestly, the data is damning. So, it's an easy point to make. If I were Oregon, the first fucking thing I would say to Sav'ell's parents is - 'we know you want your son to play close to home. How about playing somewhere that isn't using him up and doesn't respect him or his culture? Almost all players on UW have one white parent and usually the white parent was dominant in acculturating the kids. It's a white washed program. Here, we don't think there's anything wrong with being black, and we aren't trying to turn Sav'ell into a white guy.'
    1) This type of recruiting strategy isn't happening unless it comes from the top. It may be something that Cristobal isn't directly doing to make sure that he retains distance, but if this was something he didn't endorse this wouldn't happen. I can speak for myself personally that if I was a head coach and it got back to me that I had staff members advancing this kind of narratives they'd be fired on the spot. This would also be known and communicated well in front. This doesn't happen by coincidence.

2) Data can be skewed and leveraged for whatever narrative that you want to spin if you want to advance a faulty message.

3) I'd be surprised to hear anybody tied into UW under Pete that views him or his staff "using up players" ... in fact it's pretty easy to argue that so much of what they do is to sustain their players.

This whole narrative that Oregon's advancing makes me sick and honestly pissed off. It's absolutely fucking loser talk.
    Avalos would be Small’s position coach. You think he’s bad mouthing Peterson?
    You never know who is or isn't unless you are in the room. And likewise, hard to know how much validity any of this has when you aren't in the room.

In the course of a person's career, there are going to be a handful of times where you have an ethical decision about the manner in which you go about doing things, who you work for, etc. If this is happening at Oregon this is probably one of those times for Avalos.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,184
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019

This is how I know you’re white...

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

That's because you're white and see things through the white people lens.

Oh, we just happened to not recruit Tre'Shaun (Sav'ell's friend) and we are just happening to not recruit Gee Scott and DJ Rodgers (insert white people 'case by case basis' excuse here). And now Justin Flowe, Kayvon and Darnell Washington are all guys that haven't really been on our radar.

And, under Pete we have gotten one white parent or African parents on almost everyone... white people are like 'this is nitpicky' because they don't understand how stupid that sounds to people who live in black culture (which is not a monolith). This is like a little kid thinking that them saying they didn't eat a cookie when chocolate chips are all over their face is convincing.

White people are like 'HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF RACISM' and black people are like 'uh, look around'.

I don't think Pete is a racist, but I think Pete defines OKG in such a way that it so heavily slants toward slow strategy 'at least one white or African' parent, private school light skin u kids.

If you don't understand the difference between Kevin King's household and Aaron Fuller's or Ariel Ngata's then you just aren't really familiar with modern black life in America on any level.

This is dumb. Rogers and Gee Scott are half white, so your "we only recruit players with 1 white parent, polynesians, or black kids with African names" schtick doesnt really apply.

Ive said it before...our recruiting is impacted by demographics. We dont have as many black players because not a ton of black people live on the west coast. Also, you dont see a ton of polys and a chinese american safety at fucking Iowa or

This shit is actually really embarrassing for some here and is very flawed
    Okay. What does that have to do with our recruiting demographics vs say, Auburn.

Look at all the Pac 12 teams. They all have slightly more white people, more mixed people, and way way more polynesians than schools from the big 12 or SEC. We also had a Chinese all american player...Saban doesnt because he is a racist?

It's demographics, that's it. Some here way overthink it.
    Bingo. It's like saying Saban hates white people. Which he does.