Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"OKG" is racist according to Oregon

Comments

• Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2019

I don't think Pete is a racist. But it's like saying 'i don't think Pete actually wants his dog to bit people' - if the dog bites people and Pete explains it away every time as a product of unique circumstances, you have to be like 'does Pete REALLY want the dog not to bite people if he's not doing anything to prevent it?'

Yeah, there may be an issue of bias and you didn’t throw the racist term around but more referring to the negative recruiting. Btw, I heard it was a player saying this and not the staff at Oregon. That was the insinuation at 247, I was told.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

That's because you're white and see things through the white people lens.

Oh, we just happened to not recruit Tre'Shaun (Sav'ell's friend) and we are just happening to not recruit Gee Scott and DJ Rodgers (insert white people 'case by case basis' excuse here). And now Justin Flowe, Kayvon and Darnell Washington are all guys that haven't really been on our radar.

And, under Pete we have gotten one white parent or African parents on almost everyone... white people are like 'this is nitpicky' because they don't understand how stupid that sounds to people who live in black culture (which is not a monolith). This is like a little kid thinking that them saying they didn't eat a cookie when chocolate chips are all over their face is convincing.

White people are like 'HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF RACISM' and black people are like 'uh, look around'.

I don't think Pete is a racist, but I think Pete defines OKG in such a way that it so heavily slants toward slow strategy 'at least one white or African' parent, private school light skin u kids.

If you don't understand the difference between Kevin King's household and Aaron Fuller's or Ariel Ngata's then you just aren't really familiar with modern black life in America on any level.
    This. It’s similar to how coach k only used to recruit kids with 2 parents (2 dads ?!)
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Meek said:

so, are you guys saying that Smalls avoided coming to UW this weekend because he's now drifting (drifted?) away from being interested in UW?

I see that Emeka was tweeting from Oregon this weekend as well.

How bad is this situation fellas?

Well, it's not GOOD.
  • Options
    lawsandl said:

I don't think Pete is a racist. But it's like saying 'i don't think Pete actually wants his dog to bit people' - if the dog bites people and Pete explains it away every time as a product of unique circumstances, you have to be like 'does Pete REALLY want the dog not to bite people if he's not doing anything to prevent it?'

Yeah, there may be an issue of bias and you didn’t throw the racist term around but more referring to the negative recruiting. Btw, I heard it was a player saying this and not the staff at Oregon. That was the insinuation at 247, I was told.
    I actually heard from a relatively reliable source that it was a concerted effort by the staff. I don't know specifically who.

But honestly, the data is damning. So, it's an easy point to make. If I were Oregon, the first fucking thing I would say to Sav'ell's parents is - 'we know you want your son to play close to home. How about playing somewhere that isn't using him up and doesn't respect him or his culture? Almost all players on UW have one white parent and usually the white parent was dominant in acculturating the kids. It's a white washed program. Here, we don't think there's anything wrong with being black, and we aren't trying to turn Sav'ell into a white guy.'
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've kinda come so far!
  • Options
    genzhuskygenzhusky Member Posts: 7
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    OKG system is basically asking for yes men and there is no room for overt individuality or personalities who can disrupt the system. It just so happens that this OKG mantra does not extend to a specific demographic. So like its not straight up racism, but you can argue that the system disadvantages or discriminates against the recruitment of African Americans. I'm not saying that I believe this but in today's PC culture everything is racist and it's honestly really easy to make the argument that OKG is racist. Personally I don't care how they act as long as they can ball but as long as Pete is the coach, his OKG system will stay in some capacity.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Meek said:

so, are you guys saying that Smalls avoided coming to UW this weekend because he's now drifting (drifted?) away from being interested in UW?

I see that Emeka was tweeting from Oregon this weekend as well.

How bad is this situation fellas?

Well, it's not GOOD.
    There's obviously work that needs to be done to blow the narrative that others are trying to advance out of the water.

As big of an issue to me is the fact that during Spring Ball we largely go off the radar when it comes to really being front and center with recruits. We essentially allow other programs to run around unchecked during this period and it leaves us with work to do afterwards. The cost/benefit of this is for a different discussion.

Point being that there's work that needs to be done ... and possibly more work than normal.

It's quite obvious at this point that Oregon will do just about anything to try to tear us down. Negative recruiting in the end is generally a losing strategy and comes from a position of weakness. But UW does need to be aware of what is going on around them. It's one thing to focus on yourself and do what you do better than others. But on the other end, you got to understand what your competitors are doing around you. That's why there is that whole keep your friends close and enemies closer.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    lawsandl said:

Domicillo said:

lawsandl said:

I am a Duck fan and this is part and parcel of the “everything is racist” cultural milieu.

Part and parcel of the “I don’t acknowledge inherent biases“ culture
    Bias is different than racism and it’s important enough to distinguish between the two.
    Exactly why I said that, cause there is a whole segment of society today that see's anytime someone points out that something may be biased against a different racial group, their default response is "Are you calling me racist?". When asking people to recognize that the language we use, the processes in place or the manner in which we reach out may not appeal the same way to African American households, isn't calling someone racist. It's asking people to recognize that it exists and if we want to avoid that perception we need to actively change how we go about it.

There's a reason every time @Dennis_DeYoung has brought up this issue over the past couple years, he has to preface it with "I don't think Pete is racist". Because Pete isn't racist, but he has a major blind spot if he thinks his messaging and the perception of it is being received equally across all racial and other demographic lines.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I wonder how @RachaelDoyleDuckTiger feels about this?

Prolly pritty, pritty good.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

lawsandl said:

I actually heard from a relatively reliable source that it was a concerted effort by the staff. I don't know specifically who.

But honestly, the data is damning. So, it's an easy point to make. If I were Oregon, the first fucking thing I would say to Sav'ell's parents is - 'we know you want your son to play close to home. How about playing somewhere that isn't using him up and doesn't respect him or his culture? Almost all players on UW have one white parent and usually the white parent was dominant in acculturating the kids. It's a white washed program. Here, we don't think there's anything wrong with being black, and we aren't trying to turn Sav'ell into a white guy.'
    1) This type of recruiting strategy isn't happening unless it comes from the top. It may be something that Cristobal isn't directly doing to make sure that he retains distance, but if this was something he didn't endorse this wouldn't happen. I can speak for myself personally that if I was a head coach and it got back to me that I had staff members advancing this kind of narratives they'd be fired on the spot. This would also be known and communicated well in front. This doesn't happen by coincidence.

2) Data can be skewed and leveraged for whatever narrative that you want to spin if you want to advance a faulty message.

3) I'd be surprised to hear anybody tied into UW under Pete that views him or his staff "using up players" ... in fact it's pretty easy to argue that so much of what they do is to sustain their players.

This whole narrative that Oregon's advancing makes me sick and honestly pissed off. It's absolutely fucking loser talk.
  • Options
    This is how I know you’re white...

lawsandl said:

Oh, we just happened to not recruit Tre'Shaun (Sav'ell's friend) and we are just happening to not recruit Gee Scott and DJ Rodgers (insert white people 'case by case basis' excuse here). And now Justin Flowe, Kayvon and Darnell Washington are all guys that haven't really been on our radar.

And, under Pete we have gotten one white parent or African parents on almost everyone... white people are like 'this is nitpicky' because they don't understand how stupid that sounds to people who live in black culture (which is not a monolith). This is like a little kid thinking that them saying they didn't eat a cookie when chocolate chips are all over their face is convincing.

White people are like 'HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF RACISM' and black people are like 'uh, look around'.

I don't think Pete is a racist, but I think Pete defines OKG in such a way that it so heavily slants toward slow strategy 'at least one white or African' parent, private school light skin u kids.

If you don't understand the difference between Kevin King's household and Aaron Fuller's or Ariel Ngata's then you just aren't really familiar with modern black life in America on any level.

This is dumb. Rogers and Gee Scott are half white, so your "we only recruit players with 1 white parent, polynesians, or black kids with African names" schtick doesnt really apply.

Ive said it before...our recruiting is impacted by demographics. We dont have as many black players because not a ton of black people live on the west coast. Also, you dont see a ton of polys and a chinese american safety at fucking Iowa or

This shit is actually really embarrassing for some here and is very flawed
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    edited April 2019

lawsandl said:

This is dumb. Smalls and Gee Scott are half white, so from your own "we only recruit players with 1 white parent, polyesians, or black kids with African names" schtick doesnt really apply.
    Sav'ell was raised in a two African American parent household. Gee was raised in a variety of single parent household arrangements in which his African American father has played the predominant role in his athletic identity and the structure of his life. They absolutely fit the "schtick".
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've kinda come so far!

Rapp’s family?
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

lawsandl said:

1) This type of recruiting strategy isn't happening unless it comes from the top. It may be something that Cristobal isn't directly doing to make sure that he retains distance, but if this was something he didn't endorse this wouldn't happen. I can speak for myself personally that if I was a head coach and it got back to me that I had staff members advancing this kind of narratives they'd be fired on the spot. This would also be known and communicated well in front. This doesn't happen by coincidence.

2) Data can be skewed and leveraged for whatever narrative that you want to spin if you want to advance a faulty message.

3) I'd be surprised to hear anybody tied into UW under Pete that views him or his staff "using up players" ... in fact it's pretty easy to argue that so much of what they do is to sustain their players.

This whole narrative that Oregon's advancing makes me sick and honestly pissed off. It's absolutely fucking loser talk.
    Avalos would be Small’s position coach. You think he’s bad mouthing Peterson?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,054
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019
    This is ridiculous. Maybe we need to offer this guy to put this issue to bed.

Yeah, he's raw, but I can see him becoming a key contributor by his junior season, not to mention his effect on recruiting.