Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So Greg Gaines

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Your wife or husband has to make enough to justify child care costs otherwise one should stay home and raise the little rug rats. Staying home can be a considerable sacrifice in today's world where our value is in our work in a lot of cases

Like I said mine were pre grown so they were 10 and 12. I was self employed at the time and remained so for the duration. I'd be in the field when they were in school and at the home office when they got home from school. My wife worked

To my wife's credit, I told her she had to make more or be a stay at home mom. She managed to flip her job to a much more lucrative one even while pregnant. We also totally lucked out on our daycare which is cheap by market standards around here while also probably being the highest quality care around. Lots of luck involved.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

dflea said:

Meek said:

I'll speak for the oppressed minority. I absolutely love my kids. Might have another couple more.

Anytime you have a chance to pass on your toxic masculinity you have to do it.

in THIS economy??????

You must be rich.
    Far from it, I'm sure I'm safely in the bottom half of HH incomes. Maybe I'll see things different later on but at this point my kids haven't been particularly expensive.
    You haven't added it up, aren't counting opportunity costs, or they aren't very old. Kids cost you a fortune.

I agree that having kids is great and it's really the only thing of significance I've ever done in my life. It's also the most basic human task. Reproduce - or some retarded fucker will and the gene pool will get shallower. We don't have a shortage of people but we do have a shortage of good people.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. One kid is out the door already and the other isn't far behind. Then I'm going to come over to their place and eat all their fucking food and drink their liquor.

Definite plenty of opportunity costs but those are very worthwhile to me.

Like I said, they're young, I'm sure it will get more expensive as they grow up. But also, we plan on not spoiling the hell out of them. Thankfully I have a wife whose a bit of a minimalist so she's on bored with not giving them everything they want.

I think a big part of the "kids are so expensive" thing is plenty of moms like to spend a shitload of money on them. Well that and child support is a bitch. Thankfully I am in neither of those situations.
    This is true, however child care is a bitch. I'm guessing if yours are 3 and 4 and you aren't bitching about the costs of child care then you don't have those.
    It's basically another mortgage. After school care too.

The have kids young vs have kids old thing can go two ways. Have kids young, you miss more of your 20s, they may suck your money dry when you don't have much, but you hit freedom from them with more of your life left and aren't responsible for them when you're presumably earning more during the back half of your career.

Have them old, you get your party 20s but also need to save a decent amount to get the compound interest benefit, then when you're at peak earnings you're also at peak kid expenses.

#firstworldproblems

FWIW I went the have kid mid-20s, stop at 1 (snip!), wife work from home route. College is looming which looks ugly. But then I'm free and clear and hopefully not dead.
    Wifey is primarily a stay at home mom (#opportunitycost). She works two days a week, one of those is my off day so I get a Daddy Day to do fun and stupid shit with them when she's not around to tell me to knock it off. So we only pay childcare one day a week, and thankfully she makes more than enough in that one day to justify it.

We could be pretty ballin if she worked full time since she makes more per hour than I do. But this way she gets to get out some, I still get to be the breadwinner and we still live comfortably enough. Our kids won't ever have the most or nicest stuff but they're going to have a much better life than most kids just by virtue of being with a parent far more often than not.

Our life isn't for everybody but it works pretty damn well for us.
    You get paid by the hour? Unless you’re an attorney or a consultant, you’re not “ballin”
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

This thread has become really gay, so I will now participate in it.

I have a stay-at-home wife raising our kid, and there will be 1-2 more in the future.

Hard to resist a bleached anus...
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

whlinder said:

dflea said:

Meek said:

I'll speak for the oppressed minority. I absolutely love my kids. Might have another couple more.

Anytime you have a chance to pass on your toxic masculinity you have to do it.

in THIS economy??????

You must be rich.
    Far from it, I'm sure I'm safely in the bottom half of HH incomes. Maybe I'll see things different later on but at this point my kids haven't been particularly expensive.
    You haven't added it up, aren't counting opportunity costs, or they aren't very old. Kids cost you a fortune.

I agree that having kids is great and it's really the only thing of significance I've ever done in my life. It's also the most basic human task. Reproduce - or some retarded fucker will and the gene pool will get shallower. We don't have a shortage of people but we do have a shortage of good people.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. One kid is out the door already and the other isn't far behind. Then I'm going to come over to their place and eat all their fucking food and drink their liquor.

Definite plenty of opportunity costs but those are very worthwhile to me.

Like I said, they're young, I'm sure it will get more expensive as they grow up. But also, we plan on not spoiling the hell out of them. Thankfully I have a wife whose a bit of a minimalist so she's on bored with not giving them everything they want.

I think a big part of the "kids are so expensive" thing is plenty of moms like to spend a shitload of money on them. Well that and child support is a bitch. Thankfully I am in neither of those situations.
    This is true, however child care is a bitch. I'm guessing if yours are 3 and 4 and you aren't bitching about the costs of child care then you don't have those.
    It's basically another mortgage. After school care too.

The have kids young vs have kids old thing can go two ways. Have kids young, you miss more of your 20s, they may suck your money dry when you don't have much, but you hit freedom from them with more of your life left and aren't responsible for them when you're presumably earning more during the back half of your career.

Have them old, you get your party 20s but also need to save a decent amount to get the compound interest benefit, then when you're at peak earnings you're also at peak kid expenses.

#firstworldproblems

FWIW I went the have kid mid-20s, stop at 1 (snip!), wife work from home route. College is looming which looks ugly. But then I'm free and clear and hopefully not dead.
    Wifey is primarily a stay at home mom (#opportunitycost). She works two days a week, one of those is my off day so I get a Daddy Day to do fun and stupid shit with them when she's not around to tell me to knock it off. So we only pay childcare one day a week, and thankfully she makes more than enough in that one day to justify it.

We could be pretty ballin if she worked full time since she makes more per hour than I do. But this way she gets to get out some, I still get to be the breadwinner and we still live comfortably enough. Our kids won't ever have the most or nicest stuff but they're going to have a much better life than most kids just by virtue of being with a parent far more often than not.

Our life isn't for everybody but it works pretty damn well for us.
    That was the exact way I grew up. Then as the youngest once I got to school my mom went back to work. I had a great childhood. Never had nice shit but had parents that care.

But without the drive for having kids that every human has, I decided as an adult I’m going to have the nice shit I didn’t have as a kid.

I had a great childhood, but my adulthood is way fucking better so far.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I was under the impression that in Obama's America white people aren't allowed to have children
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,293
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I was under the impression that in Obama's America white people aren't allowed to have children

You’d be surprised how many old white people encourage me to have more white babies because they don’t think there are enough of them anymore.

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whlinder said:

You’d be surprised how many old white people encourage me to have more white babies because they don’t think there are enough of them anymore.

No more kids unless both the parents and the child can enjoy the fruits of slow strategy life.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,831
    My mom was a stay at home mom. When my parents bought a house she was working but the bank would not even consider the income she brought in. They knew when kids came women would stay at home.

My wife stayed at home as well. That's how I wanted it. I didn't want someone else raising my kids. Screw the village, too many idiots.