Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Covington student sues Washington Post for $250 million

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,252
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I keep hearing from the Left that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of your words. Anyways, unless the Post decides to make this a principled stand about free speech they'll likely settle. I'd bet even $500k is a lot to that kid and his family. No need to pay ten times that just to beat it in court and get a bunch of potential bad press.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Frivolous lawsuit.

For frivolous reporting. WaPo fucked up.
    Sure. But damages are going to be difficult to document in a case like this.
    He ain't getting a quarter billion but I bet he gets a nice seven figure settlement.
    This.

The 250 mil figure was derived because that was what Bezos purchased the Post for. This has settlement written all over it. I would be surprised if it's less than $4-5 million. Drop in the bucket for Bezos, but the kid will be living large.
    At this point I’m less than convinced that it would survive a summary judgment motion and/or a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim. But if it does, discovery would be an enormous undertaking. (The complaint contains more speculation about facts than concrete assertions.). Bezos can afford it; can the other side?
    For something of this nature and the potential reward, most lawyers have no problem in doing contingency deals. The kid's family will pay little to nothing unless he wins something.
    The biggest motivation here for the attorneys is the profile of the case.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I keep hearing from the Left that freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of your words. Anyways, unless the Post decides to make this a principled stand about free speech they'll likely settle. I'd bet even $500k is a lot to that kid and his family. No need to pay ten times that just to beat it in court and get a bunch of potential bad press.

Bezos has attorneys on staff that deal with this shit on a regular basis. How do you get fighting this would cost him/WP $5 million?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    There are numerous quotes in the complaint from the Post. You lied O'Keefed.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

I didn’t say there were no partial quotations. Is there even one complete sentence quoted in the entire pleading?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,590
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

That kid is a joke.

Going to be a rich joke IMO
    Did Jeff wire him money today?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

I didn’t say there were no partial quotations. Is there even one complete sentence quoted in the entire pleading?
    Wow, you didn't read the entire complaint did you O'Keefed. Man I pity your clients.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Wow, you didn't read the entire complaint did you O'Keefed. Man I pity your clients.
    So your answer is No. That’s my recollection too.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,858
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

dflea said:

Frivolous lawsuit.

He ain't getting a quarter billion but I bet he gets a nice seven figure settlement.
    This.

The 250 mil figure was derived because that was what Bezos purchased the Post for. This has settlement written all over it. I would be surprised if it's less than $4-5 million. Drop in the bucket for Bezos, but the kid will be living large.
    Lots of handies for $5 Million.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2019
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Frivolous lawsuit.

Maybe. I just read the complaint though. You would think the Post would be extensively quoted in a case of defamation seeking $200 million in punitive damages. But the Post isn’t quoted very much or at much length. Instead, the theory seems to be what the Post knew or should have known. The word “malice” is thrown around, but it seems closer to a negligent reporting claim.
    On January 19, 20 and 21, the Post ignored the truth and falsely accused Nicholas of, among other things, “accost[ing]” Phillips by “suddenly swarm[ing]” him in a “threaten[ing]” and “physically intimidat[ing]” manner as Phillips “and other activists were wrapping up the march and preparing to leave,” “block[ing]” Phillips path, refusing to allow Phillips “to retreat,” “taunting the dispersing indigenous crowd,” chanting “build that wall,” “Trump2020,” or “go back to Africa,” and otherwise engaging in racist and improper conduct which ended only “when Phillips and other activists walked away.”

Why you always check O'Keefed's claims. Shocking, he lied.
    You’re making my point, blob. That paragraph is just about the only substantive allegation and the quotations are so choppy that you have to fully accept the characterization of the quotations as perfectly true to construct any argument. There are no lengthy statements quoted in their original context. The complaint goes on for pages without much more than conclusory statements about the Post’s alleged motivation.
    Does the fact that he's a minor have any impact? I assume not, but in the court of public opinion it could be a huge blow to the Post. They might just settle to shut the kid up.
  • Options

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Frivolous lawsuit.

Maybe. I just read the complaint though. You would think the Post would be extensively quoted in a case of defamation seeking $200 million in punitive damages. But the Post isn’t quoted very much or at much length. Instead, the theory seems to be what the Post knew or should have known. The word “malice” is thrown around, but it seems closer to a negligent reporting claim.
    On January 19, 20 and 21, the Post ignored the truth and falsely accused Nicholas of, among other things, “accost[ing]” Phillips by “suddenly swarm[ing]” him in a “threaten[ing]” and “physically intimidat[ing]” manner as Phillips “and other activists were wrapping up the march and preparing to leave,” “block[ing]” Phillips path, refusing to allow Phillips “to retreat,” “taunting the dispersing indigenous crowd,” chanting “build that wall,” “Trump2020,” or “go back to Africa,” and otherwise engaging in racist and improper conduct which ended only “when Phillips and other activists walked away.”

Why you always check O'Keefed's claims. Shocking, he lied.
    You’re making my point, blob. That paragraph is just about the only substantive allegation and the quotations are so choppy that you have to fully accept the characterization of the quotations as perfectly true to construct any argument. There are no lengthy statements quoted in their original context. The complaint goes on for pages without much more than conclusory statements about the Post’s alleged motivation.
    Does the fact that he's a minor have any impact? I assume not, but in the court of public opinion it could be a huge blow to the post. They might just settle to shut the kid up.
    I’m not aware of any reason his being a minor makes any difference legally.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,804
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Is HH another ambulance chaser?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Find the lies. I do chuckle at you monkeys screaming about their lies. Point to incomplete sentences, but won't actually show the lies. For the idiots out there. A quote that says “build that wall,” could be prefaced with "reports State the kids chanted build that Wall". Which is a factual statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/newssearch/?datefilter=All Since 2005&query=Covington Phillips maga hat&sort=Relevance&utm_term=.5b13b1c40689
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,804
    2001400ex said:

Find the lies. I do chuckle at you monkeys screaming about their lies. Point to incomplete sentences, but won't actually show the lies. For the idiots out there. A quote that says “build that wall,” could be prefaced with "reports State the kids chanted build that Wall". Which is a factual statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/newssearch/?datefilter=All Since 2005&query=Covington Phillips maga hat&sort=Relevance&utm_term=.5b13b1c40689

Monkeys? Racist fuck!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

No, my answer is you're a liar.

“Phillips, who fought in the Vietnam War, says in an interview ‘I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn’t allow me to retreat.’”
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Bezos has attorneys on staff that deal with this shit on a regular basis. How do you get fighting this would cost him/WP $5 million?
    Sure, but opportunity cost is a real thing and so are the optics. Sometims it's better to take the L and move on. I'm not surprised if you don't understand that.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

No, my answer is you're a liar.

“Phillips, who fought in the Vietnam War, says in an interview ‘I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn’t allow me to retreat.’”
    So the Complaint included a complete quotation of a sentence spoken by someone other than the Post. You really aren’t helping your argument.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

Sure, but opportunity cost is a real thing and so are the optics. Sometims it's better to take the L and move on. I'm not surprised if you don't understand that.
    I’m betting the lawyers on staff don’t qualify for overtime. But if Bezos wants to spend millions on outside counsel, he’s not going to suffer.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2019
    Did a law get passed that prohibits a newspaper from being shit?

Then I don't see the kid winning because he won't be able to document any damages. To what - the reputation he didn't have? Has his future income stream been damaged?

I don't see a 7 figure settlement coming out of this.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

2001400ex said:

I’m betting the lawyers on staff don’t qualify for overtime. But if Bezos wants to spend millions on outside counsel, he’s not going to suffer.
    So I guess you don't know what opportunity cost is. Not surprised.