Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If you guys are right about recruiting

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,590
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Oregon will rule the Pac 12 not UW

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

This is not true.

The claim (at least from DDY/Coker) is not that recruiting is all that matters. The claim is that recruiting and coaching both matter, and since we now have elite coaching we are just elite recruiting away from legitimate contention.

It's not a particularly chinsightful or revolutionary claim, they just have to keep making it because people seem to keep missing the point.

Oregon doesn't have elite coaching. They aren't going to be better than us.
    I get your point, but I would argue that our coaching may actually not be Elite. It is good, to be sure, and elite on the D side of the ball, but our offensive philosophy is a pile of wet garbage and our ST this year looked like peanut butter being squished out a fat womans armpit. Not elite.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

This is not true.

The claim (at least from DDY/Coker) is not that recruiting is all that matters. The claim is that recruiting and coaching both matter, and since we now have elite coaching we are just elite recruiting away from legitimate contention.

It's not a particularly chinsightful or revolutionary claim, they just have to keep making it because people seem to keep missing the point.

I get your point, but I would argue that our coaching may actually not be Elite. It is good, to be sure, and elite on the D side of the ball, but our offensive philosophy is a pile of wet garbage and our ST this year looked like peanut butter being squished out a fat womans armpit. Not elite.
    We are one of 4-5 progrums to get into a NY6 bowl every year for the last 3 years. I would say that’s elite. Now we gotta fucking win.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2019

Swaye said:

This is not true.

We are one of 4-5 progrums to get into a NY6 bowl every year for the last 3 years. I would say that’s elite. Now we gotta fucking win.
    Disafucking-gree young padawan. Getting to NY6 Bowls in the worst P5 conference of the last decade, and then LOSING all three games is not Elite. What the fuck are you smoking? Our coaching staff is good, maybe very good. They have done quite well all thigns considered, but Elite? Not a fucking chance. Had they won 2 of those three bowls we could make an argument for it.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    You fags have a very low standard for Elite. Or you do not understand what Elite means. Elite means top of the top. Dabo. Saban. Elite. We lose every big game we play. That't not Elite. Jesus. Our standards get lower every year.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

This is not true.

Disafucking-gree young padawan. Getting to NY6 Bowls in the worst P5 conference of the last decade, and then LOSING all three games is not Elite. What the fuck are you smoking? Our coaching staff is good, maybe very good. They have done quite well all thigns considered, but Elite? Not a fucking chance. Had they won 2 of those three bowls we could make an argument for it.
    We’ve been at a significant talent disadvantage. Jake Browning was never capable of beating anyone good. That’s Pete’s fault for not recruiting anyone better than him. Look our staff is elite at talent development. That’s Pete’s MO. That’s about 9/10 of being an elite coach (excluding recruiting). If you don’t think people it a top 5-6 coach in America than I can’t help you.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

This is not true.

They may not be (probably aren't) elite in game coaches/strategists, but that's not all there is to coaching. It is an elite staff at setting culture, developing talent, getting the kids to buy in, etc. This isn't to say that all 11 coaches or whatever are elite (though most are), it's just to say that as a whole it stacks up with the best staffs in the nation in those areas.

There aren't five coaching staffs I'd take over ours if we are not considering recruiting and we are counting Socha (which we should). It's an elite staff at coaching.

It's not elite at recruiting yet, which is why recruiting is what these guys are banging on.

I agree about the ST disaster, especially. That has to be fixed, stat.
    Okay, then let's follow your argument for fun. I will grant you we have several Elite coaches and Elite segments of our program. But, hard to be Elite overall when recruiting is spotty in areas, in game management decisions are questionable (remember halftime against Ohio State?), and Special Teams sucks ass. That's like saying "Hey, that Ford Focus is Elite, except that it is slow, and most of the interior trim sucks, and it leaks oil after three years, but other than all that, it's pretty Elite!"
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

You fags have a very low standard for Elite. Or you do not understand what Elite means. Elite means top of the top. Dabo. Saban. Elite. We lose every big game we play. That't not Elite. Jesus. Our standards get lower every year.

You really think we haven't won anything by now if we had elite recruiting?

It's not a flawless coaching staff. With the right players it doesn't have to be. Did you see Bama's fake field goal yesterday?

It's a staff that if it had the talent of an average top 10 program would win and win big. I'm surprised that you disagree with that.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

It's not a flawless coaching staff. With the right players it doesn't have to be. Did you see Bama's fake field goal yesterday?

It's a staff that if it had the talent of an average top 10 program would win and win big. I'm surprised that you disagree with that.
    I don't disagree with your last assessment. I agree they probably would win with better. But probably is the important word there. I have no way of knowing exactly how this would play out. I see poor in game management at times, atrocious special teams, and a lack of a killer instinct/fun. That is what my eyes tell me, and none of it is Elite. We have Paopao. Case closed.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

This is not true.

They may not be (probably aren't) elite in game coaches/strategists, but that's not all there is to coaching. It is an elite staff at setting culture, developing talent, getting the kids to buy in, etc. This isn't to say that all 11 coaches or whatever are elite (though most are), it's just to say that as a whole it stacks up with the best staffs in the nation in those areas.

There aren't five coaching staffs I'd take over ours if we are not considering recruiting and we are counting Socha (which we should). It's an elite staff at coaching.

It's not elite at recruiting yet, which is why recruiting is what these guys are banging on.

Okay, then let's follow your argument for fun. I will grant you we have several Elite coaches and Elite segments of our program. But, hard to be Elite overall when recruiting is spotty in areas, in game management decisions are questionable (remember halftime against Ohio State?), and Special Teams sucks ass. That's like saying "Hey, that Ford Focus is Elite, except that it is slow, and most of the interior trim sucks, and it leaks oil after three years, but other than all that, it's pretty Elite!"
    First of all I'm not claiming it's an elite staff if we are including recruiting. I'm saying outside of recruiting it is elite.

Secondly, you are only looking at UW's flaws without realizing how flawed every staff out there is. No staff is perfect.

Fuck, Tosh Lupoi is the DC at Alabama.

Everybody has weaknesses, UW certainly does. But if we fixed the recruiting weakness the rest of what our staff does is easily good enough to put us in the top 5.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

Dennis as his character currently stands is a deadman walking rolling... He just doesn't realize it yet. Dennis will have to drop the edgelord racist meme or he will see himself become the new Seattle times enemy to UW football if the recruiting website actually takes off.

- Legitimate paid service with a focus on UW recruiting
    - constantly pushing the idea that Pete is actually racist
    - being a UW fan that wants the best for UW

Pick two

If the Seattle Times, KG/Doogman, or some random Bama recruiting blog writing articles about Kaho was going around talking about "the troubling racism of OKG and Pete" everyone here would be pissed about how Seattle is such a cucked sports town that actively sabotages UW football since Don James.

I'M REALLY SERIOUS MAN. PETE HATES BLACK PEOPLE. CAN YOU TELL I AM SO SERIOUS!?!?! I KNOW HE HATES THEM HE IS HITLER.

Also - this is fucking stupid - basically 'don't criticize Pete' - okay, enjoy that. I'm sorry my joking around about a topic you hold dear to your heart (hatred of black people by white people) is hitting too close to home for you to see the humor, but i guess you will have to live through it.

Also they told me our site would be up by now and I'm really hungover and very sad it's not.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I don't disagree with your last assessment. I agree they probably would win with better. But probably is the important word there. I have no way of knowing exactly how this would play out. I see poor in game management at times, atrocious special teams, and a lack of a killer instinct/fun. That is what my eyes tell me, and none of it is Elite. We have Paopao. Case closed.
    Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. I still love you Chief.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

This is not true.

First of all I'm not claiming it's an elite staff if we are including recruiting. I'm saying outside of recruiting it is elite.

Secondly, you are only looking at UW's flaws without realizing how flawed every staff out there is. No staff is perfect.

Fuck, Tosh Lupoi is the DC at Alabama.

Everybody has weaknesses, UW certainly does. But if we fixed the recruiting weakness the rest of what our staff does is easily good enough to put us in the top 5.
    Okay, but you still have to fix ST and get an offensive philosophy that works. I will give you this, hard to tell if it our offensive philosophy that is fucked, or it is personnel. But we have Eason next year, so that should resolve some of that. Agree to disagree (lulz). I just don't think they are Elite until they win something. I know you are expressly trying to disconnect winning from this argument by saying there are two halves at play to win, coaching and horses. We haven't had the horses, so it isn't fair to judge the winning side of the equation. I can't separate it. Win or GTFO, nothing else matters.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. I still love you Chief.