Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If you guys are right about recruiting

1235»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Pumpeii on record for UO to go 500 yards a game and 40 points

Taking action on that bet now

They'll hit that mark against the refuse they play same as us? Utah, Stanford, UW and maybe ASU will put a damper on them with good defense

As bad as the Pac is it should be a good race. Just pretend there isn't a playoff that none of us will make and fight for the legendary Pac 12 crown

hear! hear! [seriously]

IDGAF about playoffs? [Mora Senior.gif] until some team that I'm remotely interested in is involved.

True story: I actually did not watch the game. I just don't fucking care about Alabama and Clemson. My cfb ass-in-couch season was over after the Rose Bowl, and my off-season natty season started.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

False premise post. False premise poster.

Not really. USC just took our wide outs. Oregon beat us on signing day and got our pass rushers

How long do we wait to dominate recruiting so our elite coach can win a Bowl game?
    I DON'T WANT TO WAIT. Fuck man - what do you think I'm advocating? More tim for Pete?

FUCKING FIRE BONER, PAOPAO, GREGGY and HARRIS. NOW.

GET GUYS WHO CAN FUCKING RECRUIT.

I don't get it. We need more talent to win big. If Oregon gets more talent than us, we should fucking shut the fucking program down.

It turns out you need to look like Ohio State, Groz. We have to recruit on that level. GET THOSE FUCKING GUYS.

Do you think this is some way of excusing Pete for fucking up Cal? Because it's not.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    HFNY said:

No one is above criticism and that includes Peterson.

Coaching staff has been very good but recruiting could be a tick better and same for coaching. It's important to remember that recruiting has shown a solid trend every year. Dare I say go for a few edgy 4 or 5 star recruits for 2020 who need help in the OKG department?

And the bottom line is that the offense needs to get more explosive because other teams we've lost to in bowl games have more of that next level talent (Alabama, Penn State, and Ohio State). It's not impossible to out scheme them but it's sure easier when you have multiple horses too.

What that in mind, I'm interested to see how Spiker and Osborne look in spring ball, Ahmed too. Still pissed that Hamden didn't target Bryant at all in the 1st half of the Rose Bowl. Anyone know how Devin Culp has been looking?

Lastly, Cameron Davis is actually the highest rated RB of the Keith B. era, that bodes well: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/cameron-davis-208198#school-interests

Ratings cannot be really used on individual players. I like Cam, but a kid's rating is only generally predictive. What you need is a TALENTED ROSTER.

If Cam is beating OUT Stephen Carr and Najee Harris, then fucking right - he's an ace. If he's beating out Bijan Robinson and Sam Adams, so be it.

But - actually Boner is a fucking ass recruiter and should've been fired after he didn't get Stephen Carr or Najee Harris.

PM TO RACE (I'm being serious here): Unlike Pete—who is almost impossible to replace—getting another RB coach is actually not particularly difficult. So, if they can't recruit, can them. It's not the same as 'firing the assistants' to SAVE the coach. It's firing the assistants because they are holding the coach back.

Firing Boner won't SAVE Pete's job. It's not in trouble. That's why real programs purge the last guy on the bench every year (probably the last 3 guys). Because these guys are replaceable easily.

As you've said yourself @RaceBannon - the coach sets the culture. The whole thing is the head coach. Once you have the right one, keep him.

Who gives a fuck about the TE coach? You think Paopao has justified his spot? lol - fuck no. You think we can't get a fucking GA to coach guys to block?

Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Pumpeii on record for UO to go 500 yards a game and 40 points

Taking action on that bet now

They'll hit that mark against the refuse they play same as us? Utah, Stanford, UW and maybe ASU will put a damper on them with good defense

As bad as the Pac is it should be a good race. Just pretend there isn't a playoff that none of us will make and fight for the legendary Pac 12 crown

Ok Race I'll make an adjustment...42.5 ppg
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Yup...Oregon is back. I saw Cristal-balls offense.. with everybody back on line I expect 225-250 on ground next year...very physical, downhill attack. With best qb in pac expect 250-300 thru the air as well. 40+ points per. Oregon is going to be very good
    I was arguing with @RaceBannon during the 1880s.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

WRDawg said:

All of this is moot... we were the better team on the field despite the result. Oregon has out recruited Washington for the last decade pretty much. Pete has done more with less, but our good hasn't been good enough! Poor crunch time decisions by coach and a lackadaisical noodle arm leading the charge

Look, I'm not going to pretend like I've not invoked this concept. I have. When Miami outrushed, outpassed, dominated and outeverything'd Penn State in the '86 Fiesta Bowl and despite all that could not overcome their QB's apparent need to throw 5 picks - 5 BAD picks - I said and say, they were the better team on the field despite the result. But I also still have to say, winners win.

The box score of this year's Oregon game does not look like the box score of the '86 Fiesta Bowl. There's no doubt that Washington was the better team in 2018. Don't twist. But that day, on that field, in that game, Oregon played Washington straight up and circumstances gave them a chance to win, and they took it. That's football man.

All jokes aside, would I put $$ on Cristobal proving himself to be Pete's equal in time? No. Pete is a really good coach, and it's hard to be a really good coach. That's why there aren't that many of them. So on odds alone, he probably won't be in Pete's class.

But it was his first season, he improved them in some areas, and the jury is out. And like I told you fuckers, the guy can recruit, and that matters too. If he turns out to be a shit coach and all he does is recruit, then yeah it's all sizzle and hype.

And I have to tell ya: the whole "does more with less" bit is played out. If Washington is the program it says it is, then the poor mouth routine has to stop. It's fine for Boise State. Not for Washington. If Pete can't recruit now, he never will.
    Here's the thing, this just reeks of "Sark beating #3 USC". Seemed like a big deal at the time but it turned out to be a good but flawed USC. Is there anyone on this boared that didn't see 2018 Washington as being good but flawed?

We? lost to Cal! like we? always do and what turned out to be a 7-5 Auburn, we could have easily lost to UCLA as well.

It was a good win for Oregon but that fact is telling. One good home win against a flawed team in a paper soft season and at least one completely awful loss to the best stanford team of our lifetimes. Take out the Washington win for a moment and consider a 7-4 record with 3 wins spotted against exhibition teams. It's not exactly as if Oregon is bare cupboard talent wise either.

I agree Mario is an ace recruiter, early results say he's a mediocre coach. Worst case scenario for Dwags is that Mario keeps selling the sizzle, recruiting top classes, and then gets canned for someone competent who gets to walk into a program with 30+ blue chips already on the roster. That's what I'd actually be worried about.
    I didn't say it was a great win. I was just debating the "we were the better team on the field" bit, which just flatly isn't true.

Oregon isn't bare, but it's thin at a few spots, WR being the most pronounced. Herbert locked in on one guy all season long, which made their passing game one-dimensional, which made it more and more anemic as the season wore on. It's Quooky, but I don't really hold much water in the Stanford game. That kind of unraveling has happened to every program and they really had been handling Stanford for most of the game. I just don't think there's enough there to really say one way or the other. Like I said, just on statistical probability alone, he's probably not going to prove to be a great coach. So I think the criticism of the hire that's fair is, why did you hire an unproven guy?

The completely awful loss was the one to Arizona. If there's one game that Cristobal has to explain, it's that one.
    Man you really did convert to quookisim
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,981
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

False premise post. False premise poster.

Not really. USC just took our wide outs. Oregon beat us on signing day and got our pass rushers

How long do we wait to dominate recruiting so our elite coach can win a Bowl game?
    I DON'T WANT TO WAIT. Fuck man - what do you think I'm advocating? More tim for Pete?

FUCKING FIRE BONER, PAOPAO, GREGGY and HARRIS. NOW.

GET GUYS WHO CAN FUCKING RECRUIT.

I don't get it. We need more talent to win big. If Oregon gets more talent than us, we should fucking shut the fucking program down.

It turns out you need to look like Ohio State, Groz. We have to recruit on that level. GET THOSE FUCKING GUYS.

Do you think this is some way of excusing Pete for fucking up Cal? Because it's not.
    Oh hey Dennis, almost didn’t see you there. Back at full strength with your all caps fuckings. At least we didn’t have any JFC’s... oh there it is, the very next post.

Normal is normal.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    edited January 2019

HFNY said:

No one is above criticism and that includes Peterson.

Coaching staff has been very good but recruiting could be a tick better and same for coaching. It's important to remember that recruiting has shown a solid trend every year. Dare I say go for a few edgy 4 or 5 star recruits for 2020 who need help in the OKG department?

And the bottom line is that the offense needs to get more explosive because other teams we've lost to in bowl games have more of that next level talent (Alabama, Penn State, and Ohio State). It's not impossible to out scheme them but it's sure easier when you have multiple horses too.

What that in mind, I'm interested to see how Spiker and Osborne look in spring ball, Ahmed too. Still pissed that Hamden didn't target Bryant at all in the 1st half of the Rose Bowl. Anyone know how Devin Culp has been looking?

Lastly, Cameron Davis is actually the highest rated RB of the Keith B. era, that bodes well: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/cameron-davis-208198#school-interests

Ratings cannot be really used on individual players. I like Cam, but a kid's rating is only generally predictive. What you need is a TALENTED ROSTER.

If Cam is beating OUT Stephen Carr and Najee Harris, then fucking right - he's an ace. If he's beating out Bijan Robinson and Sam Adams, so be it.

But - actually Boner is a fucking ass recruiter and should've been fired after he didn't get Stephen Carr or Najee Harris.

PM TO RACE (I'm being serious here): Unlike Pete—who is almost impossible to replace—getting another RB coach is actually not particularly difficult. So, if they can't recruit, can them. It's not the same as 'firing the assistants' to SAVE the coach. It's firing the assistants because they are holding the coach back.

Firing Boner won't SAVE Pete's job. It's not in trouble. That's why real programs purge the last guy on the bench every year (probably the last 3 guys). Because these guys are replaceable easily.

As you've said yourself @RaceBannon - the coach sets the culture. The whole thing is the head coach. Once you have the right one, keep him.

Who gives a fuck about the TE coach? You think Paopao has justified his spot? lol - fuck no. You think we can't get a fucking GA to coach guys to block?

Jesus Christ.
    Why torture ourselves with this stuff? We lost 4 games this year because our offense, particularly the passing game, is 2nd rate against top-tier defenses. The inconsistent play from the WRs, the underutilization of TEs as pass catchers, and too much lateral passing from a weak-armed QB kept the offense stuck in 2nd gear all year. UW was destined to struggle in the pass game given the QB and the receiving corps because those two struggled to execute plays, period. Shitty or no separation, Jake locking onto his favorite guys (so much for his vaunted "read progression" to use Millen's favorite phrase). Jake had a B arm and a B- brain. We've all been pavlov'd into lowered QB standards by watching him for 4 years. A good QB can vastly improve an offense, and a really good QB can turn a program into a national contender, case in point, Minshew.

"We were better in 2016." No shit! 2016 was special because of the dual threat of Ross and Pettis on the field at the same time. Both of those guys could, unlike the present UW receivers, consistently and reliably CATCH THE FUCKING BALL. Are you paying attention, Mr. Ballroom? I cannot believe how many fans are puzzled about why 2017 & 2018 didn't look like 2016. It's called execution, and even when Jake and his WRs executed this past year, it was still retarded, late, awkward, lame, risky and half-assed because Jake has no fucking accuracy, can't his a crossing route to save his life, and, despite all his time in the film room, can't spot open receivers and instead tried to force passes to double-covered receivers way too often. He grades out at a B- for talent but gets bumped up to a B for effort and toughness. His 4 year motto is "At least I tried."