Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The standards of success for Husky Football 2013

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,432
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    YOU WOULD HAVE FIRED DON JAMES!!!111!!
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The worst part is that 6-5 Duck team deserved a bowl more than any of Sark's teams have.

The team that almost got James fired in 1988 was better than any of Sark's teams too.

Oregon St and Hawaii approve this post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Fun fact I just looked up about James 1988 team that almost got him fired. In those 5 losses the Huskies lost by a combined 15 points.

Biggest loss of the year was to #2 UCLA 24-17. So James in the year that almost got him fired(who knows how close it really was) was pretty unlucky and we probably could have won 8-9 games that year.

While Sark has yet to have a season where the Huskies have outscored their opponents.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    Founders Club

Fun fact I just looked up about James 1988 team that almost got him fired. In those 5 losses the Huskies lost by a combined 15 points.

Biggest loss of the year was to #2 UCLA 24-17. So James in the year that almost got him fired(who knows how close it really was) was pretty unlucky and we probably could have won 8-9 games that year.

While Sark has yet to have a season where the Huskies have outscored their opponents.

In my heart that '88 team went 9-2
  • Options

In my heart that '88 team went 9-2
    Difference between the coaches is Sark actually thinks his team last year was 9-4. Meanwhile James didn't look at his team as a team who caught breaks but instead decided he needed to make some coaching adjustments and changes to his program.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I don't think James was in any serious trouble. He declined a raise. It was an integrity move; One I doubt Sark would make.

Of course, he bought himself a cushion with all the good teams he had. There were a few Rose Bowls & a few top 10 finishes... a bunch of top 20 finishes... Those always help.
  • Options

I don't think James was in any serious trouble. He declined a raise. It was an integrity move; One I doubt Sark would make.

Of course, he bought himself a cushion with all the good teams he had. There were a few Rose Bowls & a few top 10 finishes... a bunch of top 20 finishes... Those always help.

I also don't think he was in serious trouble because back then we had a good A.D. in Mike Lude. A lesser A.D. and he might have been fired.

Like I pointed out the team was 6-5 but when you lose 5 games by a combined 15 points you just had an unlucky year.

While Sark going 7-6 is the complete opposite. He was LUCKY to be 7-6 and in 2011 and especially in 2010 his Pythagorean W-L was like 4 to 5 wins.
  • Options
    RancidRancid Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I also don't think he was in serious trouble because back then we had a good A.D. in Mike Lude. A lesser A.D. and he might have been fired.

Like I pointed out the team was 6-5 but when you lose 5 games by a combined 15 points you just had an unlucky year.

While Sark going 7-6 is the complete opposite. He was LUCKY to be 7-6 and in 2011 and especially in 2010 his Pythagorean W-L was like 4 to 5 wins.
    "lol"

Mupphukkas be doogin left and right around here. Mods better watch that shit. Be creepin in and catch y'all unawares. Sven and Race hafta start a new Harvey dicksuck bored yet again.

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Kind of like how I said in the other thread, 8-5 is only good if you blowout teams in your wins and then you have close losses. You dismissed that in the other thread as doogish.

DJ had a track record though.
  • Options

Kind of like how I said in the other thread, 8-5 is only good if you blowout teams in your wins and then you have close losses. You dismissed that in the other thread as doogish.

DJ had a track record though.
    I never said that year was good. Just illustrating how that was rock bottom for James was still better than any Sark season.

HTH
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

That 1988 team is the squad that Don James publically announced at season's end did not deserve a post-season bowl invite even though they finished the regular season at 6-5, and there were no Big Sky FCS cupcakes such as EWU or Portland State on the schedule that season. Obviously, Sark would never consider keeping a 6-5 team home during the postseason, but DJ did.

That '88 Husky team was so mediocre that I skipped the UW-OSU game and attended my daughter's youth soccer state playoff, something I would never have done before. Thus, I missed out on one of the biggest upset losses in Husky Football history.

If DJ was on a hot seat in 1988, it must have been facetiously plugged in by the Dawgfather himself in one of his media whipping moods. If you don't believe that, take a look at the '87, '88, and '89 recruiting classes. 1987: B. Collins, E. Cunningham, W. Doctor, C. Fraley, D. Hall, D. Jones, G. Lewis, S. Malamala, A. Pierce, T. Powe, and K. Rongen; 1988: M. Bailey, J. Barry, M. Brunell, J. Clifford, S. Emtman, J. Fields, E. Harris, D. Hoffman, L. Kennedy, O. Mckay, D. Smith, and D. Turner; 1989: B. Bryant, H. Butler, D. Farr, J. Fontaine, B.J. Hobert, M. Jones, P. Kaligis, J. Kralik, A. Mason, S. Pahukoa, P. Pierson, and T. Smith.

Those of us who know Husky Football can recognize that those three classes were RS freshmen ('87), true freshman ('88), or prospects being recruited ('89 LOI's) during that supposedly infamous 1988 season and along with others formed the hardcore of our undefeated 1991 team that won an NC. Not only have new wave Doogs repeatedly derided 1988 as DJ's low watermark hotseat season, but they have also proclaimed on occasion that DJ's '87, '88, and '89 recruiting classes were at best unremarkable. This is Doog propaganda at it's silliest.

That's of course not how I remember it and in fact, the excitement over those kids becoming Huskies was such that I attended several Spring scrimmages in 1988, 1989, and 1990 and could hardly believe the athleticism and talent that the Dawgfather was assembling on the practice field. The media might not have understood or cared about good things happening at Montlake, but it's definite that DJ and staff as well as AD Lude knew in 1988 and were excited about what was coming down the pike and how bright the future looked for Husky Football during that dismal 1988 season.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

That 1988 team is the squad that Don James publically announced at season's end did not deserve a post-season bowl invite even though they finished the regular season at 6-5, and there were no Big Sky FCS cupcakes such as EWU or Portland State on the schedule that season. Obviously, Sark would never consider keeping a 6-5 team home during the postseason, but DJ did.

That '88 Husky team was so mediocre that I skipped the UW-OSU game and attended my daughter's youth soccer state playoff, something I would never have done before. Thus, I missed out on one of the biggest upset losses in Husky Football history.

If DJ was on a hot seat in 1988, it must have been facetiously plugged in by the Dawgfather himself in one of his media whipping moods. If you don't believe that, take a look at the '87, '88, and '89 recruiting classes. 1987: B. Collins, E. Cunningham, W. Doctor, C. Fraley, D. Hall, D. Jones, G. Lewis, S. Malamala, A. Pierce, T. Powe, and K. Rongen; 1988: M. Bailey, J. Barry, M. Brunell, J. Clifford, S. Emtman, J. Fields, E. Harris, D. Hoffman, L. Kennedy, O. Mckay, D. Smith, and D. Turner; 1989: B. Bryant, H. Butler, D. Farr, J. Fontaine, B.J. Hobert, M. Jones, P. Kaligis, J. Kralik, A. Mason, S. Pahukoa, P. Pierson, and T. Smith.

Those of us who know Husky Football can recognize that those three classes were RS freshmen ('87), true freshman ('88), or prospects being recruited ('89 LOI's) during that supposedly infamous 1988 season and along with others formed the hardcore of our undefeated 1991 team that won an NC. Not only have new wave Doogs repeatedly derided 1988 as DJ's low watermark hotseat season, but they have also proclaimed on occasion that DJ's '87, '88, and '89 recruiting classes were at best unremarkable. This is Doog propaganda at it's silliest.

That's of course not how I remember it and in fact, the excitement over those kids becoming Huskies was such that I attended several Spring scrimmages in 1988, 1989, and 1990 and could hardly believe the athleticism and talent that the Dawgfather was assembling on the practice field. The media might not have understood or cared about good things happening at Montlake, but it's definite that DJ and staff as well as AD Lude knew in 1988 and were excited about what was coming down the pike and how bright the future looked for Husky Football during that dismal 1988 season.

In 1988 I took a break from D&D and band practice and sat in a the rain in a half empty husky stadium to watch Arizona kick a field goal at the end of the game to beat UW 16-13.I said I wanted Don James fired that day. In was the low point of 15 years of following the huskies (hi puppy steele!). I was right that day, and don James knew it and felt the same way, he was failing. Rather than make excuses and go on a PR tour, he got to work and figured out what he was missing. No chest bumping players,no "aloha Brah"...he got to work, immediately. The results speak for themselves. Can Sark do the same? It doesn't look like it. If he doesn't do it starting in less than four weeks, he should resign. He won't. Nor will he be Fired. UW has changed. The fans have changed. What you see is what you get. Minnesota built a new stadium too.....
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    Founders Club
    "I skipped the UW-OSU game and attended my daughter's youth soccer state playoff, something I would never have done before. Thus, I missed out on one of the biggest upset losses in Husky Football history."

That was in 1985, not '88
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,432
    Swaye's Wigwam

"I skipped the UW-OSU game and attended my daughter's youth soccer state playoff, something I would never have done before. Thus, I missed out on one of the biggest upset losses in Husky Football history."

Other than that
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

You have kids. Ut oh.
  • Options
    santanasantana Member Posts: 75
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
  • Options
    santanasantana Member Posts: 75
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    6-6 and not fired would be a disaster
  • Options
    AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Here's how I view it...

1-5 wins disaster Agreed. Fired
    6 wins extremely disappointing Fired
    7 wins mediocrity defined, time for a new coach Agreed, but it won't happen
    8 wins decent season, time for a new coach Hotseat
    9 wins modestly successful season, Sark probably deserves another season Progress
    10 wins successful season, Sark would deserve another season
    11-13 wins Spectacular season; Sark would deserve extension and healthy raise

10+ wins and Sark IS the man.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Here's how I view it...

9 wins modestly successful season, Sark probably deserves another season Progress

Where's your preseason conference power rankings?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Here's how I view it...

Disagree. 10 wins and I'll support him staying around, but it's going to take much more than one above average season out of five to make Sark the man. He did a pretty good job in year one and has been below average each of the three years since. I like the defensive hires but he's going to have to do something more than one 10 win season to become anything close to the man.