Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The standards of success for Husky Football 2013

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It all depends. It's all about progress. Right now, there has been little progress made, despite the talent improving (Except for OL, and until this recruiting class, the DL). If we went 8-4, but didn't get blown out by 30+, I would agree that progress was being made and Sark could get another year.

I am just tired of all the shit about us being "so close." Teams that are "so close" don't get blown out like we did vs LSU, Oregon, and Arizona. They don't play like we did against Cal, Colorado, and WSU. I get tired of all the Doogs that think we are winning 10 because this is Sark's 5th year, blah, blah. We are so far from being a championship contender. Right now, we are the third best team in the North, probably to most outsiders the fourth. I'm not seeing a team that is "so close."
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited March 2013

It all depends. It's all about progress. Right now, there has been little progress made, despite the talent improving (Except for OL, and until this recruiting class, the DL). If we went 8-4, but didn't get blown out by 30+, I would agree that progress was being made and Sark could get another year.

I am just tired of all the shit about us being "so close." Teams that are "so close" don't get blown out like we did vs LSU, Oregon, and Arizona. They don't play like we did against Cal, Colorado, and WSU. I get tired of all the Doogs that think we are winning 10 because this is Sark's 5th year, blah, blah. We are so far from being a championship contender. Right now, we are the third best team in the North, probably to most outsiders the fourth. I'm not seeing a team that is "so close."

The only way 8-4 is acceptable is if the computer rankings have us in the top 20 bc the losses were very close and most of the wins were blowouts. Those are the 8-win teams that jump to 11 wins the next season, provided they return most of their talent.

Schedule wise- you basically have Illinois instead of LSU. That gets you to 8-4 instead of 7-5, which is why you really need to go 9-3 to show material improvement.

Go 2-3 against UO, Stan, ASU, UCLA and OSU and win the rest and thats 9-3. Win one out of UO, Stan and ASU and they'll have a chance to be 7-2 with UCLA, OSU and WSU left.

Anything less than 8-4 should be an automatic firing. And the offense should have to be substantially better for Sark to keep his job.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only way 8-4 is acceptable is if the computer rankings have us in the top 20 bc the losses were very close and most of the wins were blowouts.

Schedule wise- you basically have Illinois instead of LSU. That gets you to 8-4 instead of 7-5, which is why you really need to go 9-3 to show material improvement.

Go 2-3 against UO, Stan, ASU, UCLA and OSU and win the rest and thats 9-3. Win one out of UO, Stan and ASU and they'll have a chance to be 7-2 with UCLA, OSU and WSU left.

I agree with you Slater. That was my point. I'm tired of getting our asses handed to us. If we went 8-4 with no loss greater than 21 or so, I would not be livid at the thought of Sark returning (Although, he is a very, very average coach). That is not going to happen and more than likely we will have another 7-5 season with a couple blow out losses, but will be stuck watching this soft, undisciplined football for another year. Right now, if I had to bet, we will go 0-4 in conference road games. We will probably hear the injury and youth excuse again. Rinse and repeat. At some point, it is time to sack up and at least compete for the Pac 12 North title, but anyone who is not a delusional homer knows we are far behind Oregon and Stanford, and equal (at best) with OSU.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,246
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    A 21 point loss is still a blowout. That's not competitive. Competitive is winning all the games "you're supposed to win", winning better than half of your "toss ups", winning a game or two "you're not supposed to win", and only losing by margins that leave the outcome of those games in question until very late in the the game. And in every game, impose your fucking will on the opponent, leaving them bruised and battered enough that they don't want anything to do with you again.
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Illinois away is no gimme for this team. I'll actually be surprised if we win that game....sad. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,119
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If we don't win the 2012 and 2014 Rose Bowl this year I am not sure I can support Sark any longer.

Or we will win half our games, he will recruit some wide receivers and kids who can't play linebacker or DE and I'll eat his shit and smile.

I am not sure which I want anymore.
  • Options
    vadawg said:

Illinois away is no gimme for this team. I'll actually be surprised if we win that game....sad. Hope I'm wrong.

Illinois is the Colorado of the Big10. I could certainly see us struggling and then pulling away. If we lose that game then Sark should be fired on the spot and left in Illinois to walk home.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

vadawg said:

Illinois is the Colorado of the Big10. I could certainly see us struggling and then pulling away. If we lose that game then Sark should be fired on the spot and left in Illinois to walk home.
    I think we will eek out a win but agree with vadawg that nobody should chalk it up as a gimme.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,236
    Founders Club

vadawg said:

It'll be a long walk from Soldier Field to Joeys.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

vadawg said:

allegedly
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    vadawg said:

No road game is a gimme if we can lose to WSU. Sark's road record is terrible. I think we will go 0-4 in conference road games this year, 1-3 at best.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

vadawg said:

The 2012 Apple Cup says hello.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

vadawg said:

allegedly

not sure what you're implying, but... i have been to a restaurant on south lake union called Joey's one time and during that one visit was propositioned by a drunk ho to meet her in the bathroom for some sex. quality place for recruiting.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

vadawg said:

allegedly

not sure what you're implying, but... i have been to a restaurant on south lake union called Joey's one time and during that one visit was propositioned by a drunk ho to meet her in the bathroom for some sex. quality place for recruiting.
    Yeah, but did you take her up on it and did your boss warn you not to do it ever again or you'd be fired?

ALLEGEDLY.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Meek said:

vadawg said:

allegedly

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    9 wins would require 2 road wins if the Huskies go undefeated at home, including probable "upset" wins over BSU, Oregon, and Arizona. Sark has had difficulty getting more than one road win in the past two seasons and with a probable (tenth straight) loss to Oregon, he would need 3 road wins to have a shot at 9 total. That would mean Husky wins at Illinois, Oregon State, and either UCLA or ASU.

The thing is, if the 2013 Huskies with questions at QB, WR, and both offensive and defensive lines can get a win over BSU right out of the shute, Sark could have something to field that he hasn't had yet. That would be a good balanced team with strengths in all phases of his game, offense, defense, special teams, and sideline coaching. BSU will be improved, perhaps much improved, over what the 2012 Huskies couldn't quite beat in the MAACO Bowl. Peterson's teams always play well and up to their capability on the road and he will have the Broncos better prepared for the season opener in Husky Stadium than they were in Las Vegas. BSU does not start their seasons slow.

Wins in the first two games will tell a lot as would a loss in either. Except for more progress on defense, I don't have expectations for anything much different from last year. The offensive staff will be different and perhaps that will help, let us hope so,....... but I think the 2013 Huskies are likely to struggle getting to more than six wins. If I'm wrong, it will mean that Sark and staff have found the way to start a season fast and prepare the Huskies for getting off the bus at each and every road venue.

• Options
    Hate to go AuburnDawg on you, but we return way more guys than Boise, are playing at home and had the better players at the bowl game. And Illinois is awful.

I also don't see questions at WR. Its going to be strong. Kasen will have a much better year and James Johnson and Kevin Smith are healthy. JJ is a strong #2 and Smith is a good athlete who has showed it at times. With ASJ, JJ and Kasen, Mickens would be an effective #4. And you'd figure at least one of the three true freshman will make an impact.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BSU did graduate a large number of seniors at least by our standards, but the local Spring news here in Boise is that although most were contributers, fewer than we think were starters or #2 backups in 2012.

As for the Husky WR corp, it is (based on what we saw last year) comprised primarily of one returning starter, Kasen Williams. And contrary to this Spring's expert information, KP is above average in speed and WR skills....... just short on help from his teammates. Until they can prove themselves healthy and as good as you think they are with starter caliber performances in actual 2013 game action, JJ and Smith will continue to stand on the sidelines as returning non-factors in our passing attack. I would expect Campbell to contribute more if Sark ever finds a way or inclination to get the slot WR position back to some level of relevance. After all the recruiting hype, Mickens was a disappointment last season, but could still breakout and become something in the future. ASJ isn't on the roster or in the program at present and really didn't show-up in 2012 as the super all-World TE everybody expected. Still, he could be great as we've obviously seen, but at this point like all suspensions ASJ can't be counted on. As for the three incoming freshmen, recruiting hype from media and insider experts doesn't ever seem to score many points......... but there's always hope and I'm everready to be surprised.

Whatever potential Husky Football has at the offensive skill positions in 2013, be it for passing or running the football, it's likely to remain somewhat stymied if substantial improvement in the interior offensive line, tackle to tackle, doesn't show up starting with the very first possession in newly renovated Husky Stadium. Funny how that works in football, but most of the Huskies' offensive shortcomings last season can be traced directly to the OL performances which far too often were simply pathetic against competitive defenses. Not controlling or at least holding their own in the trenches renders just about everything else in Sark's game to be less than we should expect.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2013
    Oh nice, Tailgater is here with his knowledgeable and always accurate insights. I can't wait for Section14A, Davef, and the rest of the gang to start posting here as well!
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Section14a Fucking Stupid ever decides to join and start posting, he's going to quit on the motherfucking spot.