Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The standards of success for Husky Football 2013

Comments

• Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited May 2013

Any way you look at it, Sark is not likely to meet any of our expectations. Does anybody really believe we will start playing well on the road? Does anyone believe we won't get blown out a couple of times this year? This year is going to be no different than any other year under Sark. We will win a really tough game or two, lose an unfathomable game, get blown out a couple times and call it a season with a record of 7-6. All we can do is pray a change happens after the season.

I think nothing new or surprising will happen. We'll see moderate improvement generally but will fail to meet expectations. Defense will be about the same, offense will be better. We'll be 8-5. I predict a +6-7ppg margin of victory, 3 10-20 pt losses, 1 very close loss and 1 7-10pt loss. It will placate a lot of people but further show that Sark will never be a championship coach.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,246
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Texas A&M was 7-6 in 2011 but their point differential was +11ppg. They had numerous very close losses. Thus, they were in position to make a significant jump in W/L the next season

Texas A&M fired their "2011" seven win coach and hired a twelve win coach. Regardless of point differential, seven wins did not meet their expectations, and they knew with their move to the SEC that they'd get destroyed if they didn't make a change. Their significant jump was primarily the result of the coaching staff change.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited May 2013
    Agreed. Football is not a game of horseshoes with soft metrics. The metrics are unforgiving: Win-Loss.

A&M wanted to compete in the SEC. A seven win team from a weaker conference (Big-12) is going to get killed in the SEC.

The problem at Washington is Upper Campus. They really don't care; they haven't for a long time. If a fair number of tickets are sold, that's all anyone really wants.

Southerdawg said:

Texas A&M fired their "2011" seven win coach and hired a twelve win coach. Regardless of point differential, seven wins did not meet their expectations, and they knew with their move to the SEC that they'd get destroyed if they didn't make a change. Their significant jump was primarily the result of the coaching staff change.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,636
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They wouldn't be remodeling the stadium if they didn't care. They do care. They want to succeed.

The problem is they don't know how to build a hardcore football program with high standards and that includes a marketing department that sets the tone. We've got limp-wristed academic and artistic types in charge of the program and its marketing.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2013

They wouldn't be remodeling the stadium if they didn't care. They do care. They want to succeed.

The problem is they don't know how to build a hardcore football program with high standards and that includes a marketing department that sets the tone. We've got limp-wristed academic and artistic types in charge of the program and its marketing.

Mostly agree. They do care and really do want to succeed, but the marketing department does not set the tone. Their job is to maximize exposure and revenues. Unfortunately, this marketing bunch reflects the attitudes and ineptitude of those who really are responsible for setting the tone; the AD and the head coach. If the AD wants a hardcore program, he hires a head coach who either executes that vision or gets replaced. If the AD really wanted a hardcore football program, Sark and the marketing department would already be gone.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2013

Mostly agree. They do care and really do want to succeed, but the marketing department does not set the tone. Their job is to maximize exposure and revenues. Unfortunately, this marketing bunch reflects the attitudes and ineptitude of those who really are responsible for setting the tone; the AD and the head coach. If the AD wants a hardcore program, he hires a head coach who either executes that vision or gets replaced. If the AD really wanted a hardcore football program, Sark and the marketing department would already be gone.
    When you're walking to CenturyLink Field and have to pass beneath a horrifying gauntlet of Crazy Larry images, that sets a tone. One of which my psyche still hasn't recovered.
  • Options
    Founders Club

When you're walking to CenturyLink Field and have to pass beneath a horrifying gauntlet of Crazy Larry images, that sets a tone. One of which my psyche still hasn't recovered.

That made me laugh :)

Woodard is an idiot for letting that Crazy Larry crap get beyond a concept, and the douche bags who came up with it should have been fired on the spot.
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    Actually, neither one of us know, "if they care." What we do know, without question is they do care about selling tickets. Whether they connect that with having a hardcore, successful team is open to debate.

We also know they are clueless and inept about how to be successful. Does it really matter if they care? Probably not - the results are the same.

• Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,108
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Not a chance Pool Boy fires him for anything other than an absolute disaster - say 3 wins. If Bag'0'Dicks Sark even sniffs .500 he is safe.

Only hope is that a sub .500 season starts getting some attention and forces Full Retard Woody's hand in a couple seasons.

We are screwed.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,236
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Talked to a Coug friend last night. He asked what I thought about the upcoming season and why I didn't renew tickets. I simply said 3 straight years of 7-6 sucks. He said Sark should get fired if he goes 7-6 again.

Even Cougs can see what Doogs can't.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Talked to a Coug friend last night. He asked what I thought about the upcoming season and why I didn't renew tickets. I simply said 3 straight years of 7-6 sucks. He said Sark should get fired if he goes 7-6 again.

REAL Cougs want Sark to stay at UW forever.

Hi Harv!
  • Options
    Founders Club

REAL Cougs, ducks, Beavers, Trees, Bears, Trojans, Bruins, Utes, Buffs, SunDevils and Wildcats, want Sark to stay at UW forever.

Hi Harv!
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I can't agree with you here. Finally getting around to renovating Husky Stadium 20-30 years late into a first class football facility says really nothing about UW's commitment to bringing back competitive championship football onto the field........ providing that we continue to keep buying enough tickets and donating enough money to pay the AD bills, which apparently we will. As long as the revenue generating product sells and stays out-of-trouble with the media, Sark and Woodward can be under no real pressure from UW administrators to get better and win more games. The pressure if there ever is any again at Montlake will always come from where should:..... from coaches and players and from us, if there are any of us left who insist on winning more than moral victories.

Getting back to where Husky Football was in 1991-92 takes just one bold (for UW) move as a first step. That is to hire the best football intrinsic athletic director money can buy while giving him the university's full commitment to get us back to the gridiron dominance that we deserve and which is our true legacy. You may recall that before the stadium renovation was approved and funded and before Mark Emmert went to the NCAA to ply his elixers, UW administrators led by Dr. Snakeoil went through the motions of searching for football demolition man Todd Turner's replacement. That phony search was eventually dropped with the promotion of intern Woodward to the fulltime position of AD-in-training.

No university serious about it's football would hire an AD-in-training who in turn knew only enough about football to hire a head coach-in-training. If we're lucky, UW has become the Kent State of west coach football and Sark will be moving up Dawgfather style when his training is completed,..... or out to be replaced by another Woodward training hire. I do believe that many season ticket buying and Tyee donating Huskyfans are close to burnout on the football mediocrity and likely will have difficulty digesting more 7-6 Sarkball while coughing up more bucks. It may be fatalist, but I don't see any pressure for more winning coming from the new stadium nor from a UW administration that's not fully committed to winning big. That must come from the coaches and players and a fire self-started in their bellies to win.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Tailgater said:

I can't agree with you here. Finally getting around to renovating Husky Stadium 20-30 years late into a first class football facility says really nothing about UW's commitment to bringing back competitive championship football onto the field........ providing that we continue to keep buying enough tickets and donating enough money to pay the AD bills, which apparently we will. As long as the revenue generating product sells and stays out-of-trouble with the media, Sark and Woodward can be under no real pressure from UW administrators to get better and win more games. The pressure if there ever is any again at Montlake will always come from where should:..... from coaches and players and from us, if there are any of us left who insist on winning more than moral victories.

Getting back to where Husky Football was in 1991-92 takes just one bold (for UW) move as a first step. That is to hire the best football intrinsic athletic director money can buy while giving him the university's full commitment to get us back to the gridiron dominance that we deserve and which is our true legacy. You may recall that before the stadium renovation was approved and funded and before Mark Emmert went to the NCAA to ply his elixers, UW administrators led by Dr. Snakeoil went through the motions of searching for football demolition man Todd Turner's replacement. That phony search was eventually dropped with the promotion of intern Woodward to the fulltime position of AD-in-training.

No university serious about it's football would hire an AD-in-training who in turn knew only enough about football to hire a head coach-in-training. If we're lucky, UW has become the Kent State of west coach football and Sark will be moving up Dawgfather style when his training is completed,..... or out to be replaced by another Woodward training hire. I do believe that many season ticket buying and Tyee donating Huskyfans are close to burnout on the football mediocrity and likely will have difficulty digesting more 7-6 Sarkball while coughing up more bucks. It may be fatalist, but I don't see any pressure for more winning coming from the new stadium nor from a UW administration that's not fully committed to winning big. That must come from the coaches and players and a fire self-started in their bellies to win.

That's well said and I can't argue with any of it.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tailgater said:

That's well said and I can't argue with any of it.
    Tailgater has always been one of my favorite posters. Always well thought out.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,432
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BertWinthropBertWinthrop Member Posts: 38
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Gettin' real sick of the mediocre bullshit around Montlake. If Sark can't find a way to win on the road, he needs his ass out the door after this upcoming failed season. Makes me want to get on a big drunk and throw pointed objects at breakable shit!
  • Options
    HarveyRoadHarveyRoad Member Posts: 121
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary

Gettin' real sick of the mediocre bullshit around Montlake. If Sark can't find a way to win on the road, he needs his ass out the door after this upcoming failed season. Makes me want to get on a big drunk and throw pointed objects at breakable shit!

Now would be an acceptable time for you to walk away from this website and find a cup o' tea that suits you. 'Cause this ain't it.

HTH