Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This ones going to be hard for some of you to answer

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

ntxduck said:

If we lay a turd and then run the table Paul Finebaum will be spewing SEC ejaculate on every sound bite he can infect.

That’s likely worse case scenario, I’d honestly rather have another 2017 than 12-1 and miss the playoffs because the pac-12 is so weak.

So TSIO if we start 0-1, are you knew hear?

On the contrary, I’m well versed in HCH think.

That’s the whole point of the thread. When will you be championship ready? If not now when? How long will you let this go on?

Are you WASHINGTON or Okalahoma State?

I’m more of a Pete fan than 99% of huskies. That being said, they’ll never be championship ready until he gets his head bashed in by Bama/uga/Clemson a couple more times and realizes he needs to change his recruiting strategy.

Okgs are good enough to win the pac (because the conference sucks). They’re not good enough to compete with the top 2-3 teams in the country.
    Edit: Meant to quote Mike and fucked it up, not going to bother to fix it.

I have no doubt that this boared will be full of hot takes if Petermen goes another season with 10 wins that ends on a flat note. The reality though is that the rest of the fanbase and uppercampus won't get rid of him unless the wheels really come off. So what are you really asking? What HH's collective expectations are or should be? What our? responses to different scenarios should be? Gnashing of teeth, excuse making, calling for heads, etc.? There are plenty of threds where it's been discussed. The general consensus seems to be at the very least winning a NY6 bowel to pacify real questions about the programs direction.

The general consensus is also that we are a tier 2 program that can challenge for a NT given a good to great coach and a good to great QB. We currently lack the latter and barring some extremely lucky breaks won't be getting that done this year. Looking at QB depth though 2019 and beyond could be special. We did however luck into a coach that is good to great that considers UW his final destination job which can happen given our advantages and quite honestly, the lowered scrutiny & demand from uppercampus and the local media so long as the program is "clean" and "doing it right".

All that said, fuck off and drink bleach.
    Thanks for your thoughtful response. Seems to be difficult to get around here bar a few of you. I do appreciate the self deprecating “insert year will be special.” That does seem to be the underling thought from most of you even if you don’t come right out and say it.

Lots of “in the future” comments or “some day we will get there”

One note I’ll take exception to is the idea that Pederson is a great coach. Do great coaches lose their bowl games every year? Lose to ASU, every year?

Already quoted me as saying Petermen is "Good to great". DNC gave plenty of reasons for at the very least "good". He hasn't earned "great" at UW yet. All indications are that he's on track to do so though.
    Loses all his bowl games, not any impressive OOC wins and loses to ASU every year, most would say unexpectedly.

Sounds like Mike Bellotti, a little bit. Ha ha.

Bellotti was a GREAT coach. Axe Mosster.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

If we lay a turd and then run the table Paul Finebaum will be spewing SEC ejaculate on every sound bite he can infect.

That’s likely worse case scenario, I’d honestly rather have another 2017 than 12-1 and miss the playoffs because the pac-12 is so weak.

That’s the whole point of the thread. When will you be championship ready? If not now when? How long will you let this go on?

I’m more of a Pete fan than 99% of huskies. That being said, they’ll never be championship ready until he gets his head bashed in by Bama/uga/Clemson a couple more times and realizes he needs to change his recruiting strategy.

Okgs are good enough to win the pac (because the conference sucks). They’re not good enough to compete with the top 2-3 teams in the country.

I have no doubt that this boared will be full of hot takes if Petermen goes another season with 10 wins that ends on a flat note. The reality though is that the rest of the fanbase and uppercampus won't get rid of him unless the wheels really come off. So what are you really asking? What HH's collective expectations are or should be? What our? responses to different scenarios should be? Gnashing of teeth, excuse making, calling for heads, etc.? There are plenty of threds where it's been discussed. The general consensus seems to be at the very least winning a NY6 bowel to pacify real questions about the programs direction.

The general consensus is also that we are a tier 2 program that can challenge for a NT given a good to great coach and a good to great QB. We currently lack the latter and barring some extremely lucky breaks won't be getting that done this year. Looking at QB depth though 2019 and beyond could be special. We did however luck into a coach that is good to great that considers UW his final destination job which can happen given our advantages and quite honestly, the lowered scrutiny & demand from uppercampus and the local media so long as the program is "clean" and "doing it right".

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Seems to be difficult to get around here bar a few of you. I do appreciate the self deprecating “insert year will be special.” That does seem to be the underling thought from most of you even if you don’t come right out and say it.

One note I’ll take exception to is the idea that Pederson is a great coach. Do great coaches lose their bowl games every year? Lose to ASU, every year?

Already quoted me as saying Petermen is "Good to great". DNC gave plenty of reasons for at the very least "good". He hasn't earned "great" at UW yet. All indications are that he's on track to do so though.
    Loses all his bowl games, not any impressive OOC wins and loses to ASU every year, most would say unexpectedly.

Mike was a Miami loss to Nebraska away from winning a national title in a golf cart and new letterman’s jacket.

That was once in 15 years. I’m told that’s good enough to coach WASHINGTON.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

As suspected.

Very predictable and the main reason I don’t post here very much.

Yeah, you really should die in a fire.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I’m just hoping we? can win a semifinal game so we? get permission to pop off again.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2018

It's just a matter of time until UW and Petersen start winning big bowl games. As every new Freshman class is added to the roster the talent level and quality depth Pete has to work with gets better and better. Soon there won't be a team in the nation with an obvious talent advantage over UW and that's when I expect UW to start winning their bowl games against top-10 or top-5 teams.

However, it's strange to me that a quook would even bring up this topic. You talk about winning big bowl games as if that's something Oregon is doing right now. Oregon lost their bowl game in embarrassing fashion to Boise State. The Chip Kelly/Mariota era might as well be 20 years ago because that's how far away Oregon is from being able to beat a team like Alabama or Penn State. Now who's living in the past?

Taking shots at Oregon isn’t going to change the fact that this will be year 5 without a major bowl win for UW under Peterson. Been told for a long time around here it shouldnt take this long. Oregon hasn’t won a Rose Bowl in 3 years and apparently the program is dead. Very strange how you all judge other programs vs what I see as low expectations for UW.

You allegedly have the best head coach in the conf and apparently year over year better recruiting...

Just wondering when you’ll expect more or if getting there is good enough. It seems to be.

USC just beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl like 18 months ago with blindfolds on. What’s the problem in Seattle?

It's pretty fucking simple.

1. Petersen has never had an elite QB talent to work with. Cyler Miles was garbage. Browning is Browning.

2. Petersen out kicked his coverage the last two seasons playing bowl opponents with more talent than he had.

3. To answer your question I expect more 2019 and beyond when the talent at QB and the roster talent will be where they need to be to win big bowl games.

4. Year 5 hasn't occurred yet. Playoffs in his 3rd year with Jake Browning at QB is damn impressive.

5. USC had Sam Darnold.

6. Go ahead and keep trying to push the narrative Petersen can't win big games. Nobody here is worried about it because we all know Browning is an anchor on UW's potential and they won't be able to ascend to the next level until he's gone.
  • Options

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Mike was a Miami loss to Nebraska away from winning a national title in a golf cart and new letterman’s jacket.

Miami would have run Oregon off the field.

STOp.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited August 2018

It is a good season

It's the type of seasons you want to have consistently and then when the stars align or you have a great senior qb (not Browning) then you can go farther.

Agreed, which makes him Mike Bellotti 2.0 and that's really really good for UW.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    I think his hypo was that NU somehow beats the Fighting Butch Davises and Oregon beats CU as happened. Then the pundits would have split the title for that year most likely
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    I think his hypo was that NU somehow beats the Fighting Butch Davises and Oregon beats CU as happened. Then the pundits would have split the title for that year most likely
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

So in fifteen years as HC Bellotti was once a Nebraska not getting slaughtered by Miami away from a possible half natty that OBK wouldn't recognize.

Sounds like a hell of a coach.
    the odds of Nebraska and Eric Crouch beating Miami were slightly worse than Oregon doing it, since Oregon at least had the threat of the forward pass.

I've said it for years: best thing that could have happened to Oregon was NOT being in that Rose Bowl. Belotti knew it too. His smirk notwithstanding, there was nothing to lose with playing the "hold me back" card at the Rose Bowel, because it wasn't like it was going to change anything. That way, Oregon had a nice Fiesta Bowel win and could play the "woulda coulda shoulda" card and avoid having to actually face one of the most deep, talented, balanced and weakness-free cfb teams of the modern era.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

So in fifteen years as HC Bellotti was once a Nebraska not getting slaughtered by Miami away from a possible half natty that OBK wouldn't recognize.

Sounds like a hell of a coach.
    the odds of Nebraska and Eric Crouch beating Miami were slightly worse than Oregon doing it, since Oregon at least had the threat of the forward pass.

I've said it for years: best thing that could have happened to Oregon was NOT being in that Rose Bowl. Belotti knew it too. His smirk notwithstanding, there was nothing to lose with playing the "hold me back" card at the Rose Bowel, because it wasn't like it was going to change anything. That way, Oregon had a nice Fiesta Bowel win and could play the "woulda coulda shoulda" card and avoid having to actually face one of the most deep, talented, balanced and weakness-free cfb teams of the modern era.
    The 2001 Huskies were still a very competitive program coming off a Rose Bowl win. Rick had a couple of stinkers like UCLA who always beats us and Oregon State which poured dirt on his grave. Note that we? beat ASU and USC that year. Should have beat Texas. There is one outlier on the schedule and that was the Canes. They didn't want to punish Nebraska so they took the second half off. The Huskies found out what it was like to see them mad.

They wouldn't have cared enough to hang 65 on Oregon but it wouldn't have been close either.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    You are right. That Miami game has tended to suggest that Washington sucked that year. While they weren't quite as tuff on D as the 2000 crew, it was still a very solid and capable team. That Holiday Bowl as I recall was one of the best bowels of the season. Very entertaining game and demonstrates the value of having a QB with the "it" factor. Applewhite was never going to see the inside of an NFL locker room, but as a college QB the kid had brass ones and a knack for the big play. Guysm like Tui, Steve Walsh, Smif, Detmer, et. al ... those kinds of players who don't have NFL bodies but who get it done in college like cool cucumbers. I'll take those guysm at that position any day over the physical specimens, who more often than not are not great college QBs.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oregon fans would give their left nuts to have Petersen as Ducks coach. And so would the women.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

As suspected.

Very predictable and the main reason I don’t post here very much.

And I was about to give a serious answer but then this........

If you lurked around a bit you'd know there have been hundreds of posts on the failures against Bama and PSU and concern about recruiting being good enough to win those games going forward. Would we care if it happens again? Hell yes

Should he be fired? Let's not be stupid here
    This is the Ducks FANS forum. Why would I go to any of he other ones? It’s exactly why I asked why we had this new forum as it’s so narrow in scope. Again I trust the moderators have a plan so I’m fine with that. For now. Personal opinion I like one big forum with all topics. Who wants to go clicking around looking for the perfect sub forum to post their thoughts?

Back to the topic, seems like you wouldn’t want him around just winning Northern titles. Wouldn’t have been good enough for the Washington I grew up watching.

It may be now, though. Certainly seems like it. Luckily it coincided with the worst Oregon teams in almost a generation. Because otherwise I think you’d be singing a different tune.
    He's going into his 5th year. No, winning the north isn't enough. And the whole down Oregon thing is meaningless.

He is what his record is. Losing to Stanford last year was his worse loss. The UW I grew up watching didn't win every game or win the league every year. Go through the shit pile of coaches that we have and we'll appreciate Pete until we don't

That's a serious answer
    Disagree. ASU was your worst loss.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Still would have won the north
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    This is correct. Same way UW won theirs.

• Options
    TheHB said:

Oregon fans would give their left nuts to have Petersen as Ducks coach. And so would the women.

Um, no. We already had our White Bellotti.

Can’t speak for the women though as that would be sexist. But I’d certainly tell them how stupid and wrong they are.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.

UW didn't need some other team to lose so we could backdoor into our natty.

Not the same.

This is like UW needing BYU to looser in 1984, other than the fact Michigan was actually competitive in that one unlike Nebraska.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.

UW didn't need some other team to lose so we could backdoor into our natty.

Not the same.

This is like UW needing BYU to looser in 1984, other than the fact Michigan was actually competitive in that one unlike Nebraska.
    What natty?