Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This ones going to be hard for some of you to answer

123457»

Comments

• Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Here's an ever harder question for Duck fans to answer:

If winning a national championship was so much easier before the BCS and CFB Playoff era, how come Oregon didn't win any?

Oregon sucked at football for 100 years. The vast majority of that was before any of us were born so who gives a fuck? Pretty sure that’s been established. What’s that got to do with Peterson winning anything now?

You ask a great question though, had anyone on this board ever made that claim about any of it being easy. We all know “it’s hard”

That said, you have to win two games against top 4 teams to win it now instead of waiting for the assistant athletic directors and USA Today columnists to vote based on highlights from ESPN or reading the newspaper game write ups in 1958.

You’re getting pretty far off track now. Try sticking to the subject.
    "You have to beat two top 4 teams now to win it" isn't an argument that it used to be easier?

Here's reality for you. There is only one best team every year out of all the teams. So the odds of being the best are still about the same as they always were before and after the BCS and playoff era. And guess how many times Washington has been the best team in the country? At least 3. Oregon? 0. Ouch.

And for fucks sake we are on page 6 of a thread in the Duck board on a Husky website. I'll post whatever the fuck I want.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Here's an ever harder question for Duck fans to answer:

If winning a national championship was so much easier before the BCS and CFB Playoff era, how come Oregon didn't win any?

Oregon sucked at football for 100 years. The vast majority of that was before any of us were born so who gives a fuck? Pretty sure that’s been established. What’s that got to do with Peterson winning anything now?

You ask a great question though, had anyone on this board ever made that claim about any of it being easy. We all know “it’s hard”

That said, you have to win two games against top 4 teams to win it now instead of waiting for the assistant athletic directors and USA Today columnists to vote based on highlights from ESPN or reading the newspaper game write ups in 1958.

You’re getting pretty far off track now. Try sticking to the subject.
    "You have to beat two top 4 teams now to win it" isn't an argument that it used to be easier?

Here's reality for you. There is only one best team every year out of all the teams. So the odds of being the best are still about the same as they always were before and after the BCS and playoff era. And guess how many times Washington has been the best team in the country? At least 3. Oregon? 0. Ouch.

And for fucks sake we are on page 6 of a thread in the Duck board on a Husky website. I'll post whatever the fuck I want.
    “At least 3”

“There’s only one champion”

And I thought Quooks were the ones who hated “facts”

Never disappointed by the doog army.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

If we lay a turd and then run the table Paul Finebaum will be spewing SEC ejaculate on every sound bite he can infect.

That’s likely worse case scenario, I’d honestly rather have another 2017 than 12-1 and miss the playoffs because the pac-12 is so weak.

So TSIO if we start 0-1, are you knew hear?

On the contrary, I’m well versed in HCH think.

That’s the whole point of the thread. When will you be championship ready? If not now when? How long will you let this go on?

Are you WASHINGTON or Okalahoma State?

I’m more of a Pete fan than 99% of huskies. That being said, they’ll never be championship ready until he gets his head bashed in by Bama/uga/Clemson a couple more times and realizes he needs to change his recruiting strategy.

Okgs are good enough to win the pac (because the conference sucks). They’re not good enough to compete with the top 2-3 teams in the country.
    Edit: Meant to quote Mike and fucked it up, not going to bother to fix it.

I have no doubt that this boared will be full of hot takes if Petermen goes another season with 10 wins that ends on a flat note. The reality though is that the rest of the fanbase and uppercampus won't get rid of him unless the wheels really come off. So what are you really asking? What HH's collective expectations are or should be? What our? responses to different scenarios should be? Gnashing of teeth, excuse making, calling for heads, etc.? There are plenty of threds where it's been discussed. The general consensus seems to be at the very least winning a NY6 bowel to pacify real questions about the programs direction.

The general consensus is also that we are a tier 2 program that can challenge for a NT given a good to great coach and a good to great QB. We currently lack the latter and barring some extremely lucky breaks won't be getting that done this year. Looking at QB depth though 2019 and beyond could be special. We did however luck into a coach that is good to great that considers UW his final destination job which can happen given our advantages and quite honestly, the lowered scrutiny & demand from uppercampus and the local media so long as the program is "clean" and "doing it right".

All that said, fuck off and drink bleach.
    Thanks for your thoughtful response. Seems to be difficult to get around here bar a few of you. I do appreciate the self deprecating “insert year will be special.” That does seem to be the underling thought from most of you even if you don’t come right out and say it.

Lots of “in the future” comments or “some day we will get there”

One note I’ll take exception to is the idea that Pederson is a great coach. Do great coaches lose their bowl games every year? Lose to ASU, every year?

Already quoted me as saying Petermen is "Good to great". DNC gave plenty of reasons for at the very least "good". He hasn't earned "great" at UW yet. All indications are that he's on track to do so though.
    Loses all his bowl games, not any impressive OOC wins and loses to ASU every year, most would say unexpectedly.

Sounds like Mike Bellotti, a little bit. Ha ha.

Bellotti was a GREAT coach. Axe Mosster.
    Mike was a Miami loss to Nebraska away from winning a national title in a golf cart and new letterman’s jacket.

That was once in 15 years. I’m told that’s good enough to coach WASHINGTON.

Miami would have run Oregon off the field.

STOp.
    I think his hypo was that NU somehow beats the Fighting Butch Davises and Oregon beats CU as happened. Then the pundits would have split the title for that year most likely
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

So in fifteen years as HC Bellotti was once a Nebraska not getting slaughtered by Miami away from a possible half natty that OBK wouldn't recognize.

Sounds like a hell of a coach.
    the odds of Nebraska and Eric Crouch beating Miami were slightly worse than Oregon doing it, since Oregon at least had the threat of the forward pass.

I've said it for years: best thing that could have happened to Oregon was NOT being in that Rose Bowl. Belotti knew it too. His smirk notwithstanding, there was nothing to lose with playing the "hold me back" card at the Rose Bowel, because it wasn't like it was going to change anything. That way, Oregon had a nice Fiesta Bowel win and could play the "woulda coulda shoulda" card and avoid having to actually face one of the most deep, talented, balanced and weakness-free cfb teams of the modern era.
    Not saying Oregon would have won, but they struggled mightily against BC and won a nail biter against VT. The Big East was absolute shit back then also.

I understand the over hyped memories of that team because of the number of players that had NFL success, but they aren't the 95 Nebraska that people make them out to be. That Huskers team would have raped, then murdered, then went back to repeatedly rape the corpse of said Miami team for months. Which was a ritual practiced by UW's most famous alumnus.

Other than that one team everyone has had nail biters, struggles, and close losses that have won an NC.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

If we lay a turd and then run the table Paul Finebaum will be spewing SEC ejaculate on every sound bite he can infect.

That’s likely worse case scenario, I’d honestly rather have another 2017 than 12-1 and miss the playoffs because the pac-12 is so weak.

That’s the whole point of the thread. When will you be championship ready? If not now when? How long will you let this go on?

I’m more of a Pete fan than 99% of huskies. That being said, they’ll never be championship ready until he gets his head bashed in by Bama/uga/Clemson a couple more times and realizes he needs to change his recruiting strategy.

Okgs are good enough to win the pac (because the conference sucks). They’re not good enough to compete with the top 2-3 teams in the country.

I have no doubt that this boared will be full of hot takes if Petermen goes another season with 10 wins that ends on a flat note. The reality though is that the rest of the fanbase and uppercampus won't get rid of him unless the wheels really come off. So what are you really asking? What HH's collective expectations are or should be? What our? responses to different scenarios should be? Gnashing of teeth, excuse making, calling for heads, etc.? There are plenty of threds where it's been discussed. The general consensus seems to be at the very least winning a NY6 bowel to pacify real questions about the programs direction.

The general consensus is also that we are a tier 2 program that can challenge for a NT given a good to great coach and a good to great QB. We currently lack the latter and barring some extremely lucky breaks won't be getting that done this year. Looking at QB depth though 2019 and beyond could be special. We did however luck into a coach that is good to great that considers UW his final destination job which can happen given our advantages and quite honestly, the lowered scrutiny & demand from uppercampus and the local media so long as the program is "clean" and "doing it right".

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Seems to be difficult to get around here bar a few of you. I do appreciate the self deprecating “insert year will be special.” That does seem to be the underling thought from most of you even if you don’t come right out and say it.

One note I’ll take exception to is the idea that Pederson is a great coach. Do great coaches lose their bowl games every year? Lose to ASU, every year?

Already quoted me as saying Petermen is "Good to great". DNC gave plenty of reasons for at the very least "good". He hasn't earned "great" at UW yet. All indications are that he's on track to do so though.
    Loses all his bowl games, not any impressive OOC wins and loses to ASU every year, most would say unexpectedly.

Mike was a Miami loss to Nebraska away from winning a national title in a golf cart and new letterman’s jacket.

STOp.
    I think his hypo was that NU somehow beats the Fighting Butch Davises and Oregon beats CU as happened. Then the pundits would have split the title for that year most likely
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

So in fifteen years as HC Bellotti was once a Nebraska not getting slaughtered by Miami away from a possible half natty that OBK wouldn't recognize.

the odds of Nebraska and Eric Crouch beating Miami were slightly worse than Oregon doing it, since Oregon at least had the threat of the forward pass.

I've said it for years: best thing that could have happened to Oregon was NOT being in that Rose Bowl. Belotti knew it too. His smirk notwithstanding, there was nothing to lose with playing the "hold me back" card at the Rose Bowel, because it wasn't like it was going to change anything. That way, Oregon had a nice Fiesta Bowel win and could play the "woulda coulda shoulda" card and avoid having to actually face one of the most deep, talented, balanced and weakness-free cfb teams of the modern era.
    Not saying Oregon would have won, but they struggled mightily against BC and won a nail biter against VT. The Big East was absolute shit back then also.

I understand the over hyped memories of that team because of the number of players that had NFL success, but they aren't the 95 Nebraska that people make them out to be. That Huskers team would have raped, then murdered, then went back to repeatedly rape the corpse of said Miami team for months. Which was a ritual practiced by UW's most famous alumnus.

Other than that one team everyone has had nail biters, struggles, and close losses that have won an NC.
    They beat a 3-8 WSU team 35-21 at home. They were mortal enough. They played five teams that finshed in the top 25, and had sloppy and unfocused games on the road against two of them
    that finished 8-4. Call the BE shit all you want, playing in Blacksburg, then and now, is never a walk. A guy with your coaching acumen should know that. The 91 Huskies played down to a 3-8 SC team. Shit happens.

However it would have gone down, nobody would have murdered that Miami team. Not as long as Vilma, Wilfork, McDougle and Reed were on the field. Moreover, Nebraska's history with teams that can run AND pass isn't pretty. Miami could do both very well, had HOFamers on the bench for depth, and could punch back hard on D, which was way too fast for anyone to just string shit outside out of the triple option, an offense for which Setting up the perimeter was a big priority. That's never been a recipe for success against an aggressive fast Miami D.

When that team was focused, which they had no problem doing when needed, it was lethal.

Nobody knows how these things would go down. Your predication seems stupid. No offense.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Anytime you can lose at home to Ty Willingham and try to argue yourself in to a natty is special
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    P
    dnc said:

I swear to god and on my twins lives that if Oregon tried to get Peterson tomorrow I would be disappointed and underwhelmed. Already know what he is. Can’t believe some of you think he’s special.

He’s honestly about 1 win better a year than Bellotti. Tops.

YRYK

Bellotti won a ten team conference 1.3 times in 14 years.

Petersen has won a 12 team conference once in 4 years.

Bellotti finished in the top 5 of the rankings once in 14 years.

Petersen has finished in the top 5 of the rankings once in 4 years.

So far Petersen has failed to surpass Bellotti's accomplishments. There's no reason to think he ever will.
    https://youtu.be/6VZhSkREYBc
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2018

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

They beat a 3-8 WSU team 35-21 at home. They were mortal enough. They played five teams that finshed in the top 25, and had sloppy and unfocused games on the road against two of them
    that finished 8-4. Call the BE shit all you want, playing in Blacksburg, then and now, is never a walk. A guy with your coaching acumen should know that. The 91 Huskies played down to a 3-8 SC team. Shit happens.

However it would have gone down, nobody would have murdered that Miami team. Not as long as Vilma, Wilfork, McDougle and Reed were on the field. Moreover, Nebraska's history with teams that can run AND pass isn't pretty. Miami could do both very well, had HOFamers on the bench for depth, and could punch back hard on D, which was way too fast for anyone to just string shit outside out of the triple option, an offense for which Setting up the perimeter was a big priority. That's never been a recipe for success against an aggressive fast Miami D.

When that team was focused, which they had no problem doing when needed, it was lethal.

Nobody knows how these things would go down. Your predication seems stupid. No offense.
    Irving Fryar was the MVP of the 1st Cane Championship. He was an ugly fuck too. Pretty sure that ball was afraid of those gangly hands. However the Canes endeavored to persevere to that 1st Natty. To say they didn’t win it on the field is foolish. Just as 81% or better of the Nattys that were won on the field before the CFP.

Unfortunately things went from bad to worse for the poor Fryar. Got caught up in that whole cocaine culture in New England. Imagine the irony there... right?

He did recover though and had like a 8-9 year NFL career. I know because I used to play fantasy football in the early 90s and I picked him up as a FA. I haven’t played fantasy since. Imagine Fantasy Football without no inter web. I won the league 2 outta 3 years. Basic bitch but FIRST! to the Sports Page Monday morn to pick up studs and then dump chumps. Great era of the league. Somehow won one of them with Stan fucking Humphries after Randall broke his leg week1. Real grinder I was.

https://youtu.be/h98_beH9V_8
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

AZDuck said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

STOp.
    YRYK, I read it wrong.

Irving Fryar was the MVP of the 1st Cane Championship. He was an ugly fuck too. Pretty sure that ball was afraid of those gangly hands. However the Canes endeavored to persevere to that 1st Natty. To say they didn’t win it on the field is foolish. Just as 81% or better of the Nattys that were won on the field before the CFP.

Unfortunately things went from bad to worse for the poor Fryar. Got caught up in that whole cocaine culture in New England. Imagine the irony there... right?

He did recover though and had like a 8-9 year NFL career. I know because I used to play fantasy football in the early 90s and I picked him up as a FA. I haven’t played fantasy since. Imagine Fantasy Football without no inter web. I won the league 2 outta 3 years. Basic bitch but FIRST! to the Sports Page Monday morn to pick up studs and then dump chumps. Great era of the league. Somehow won one of them with Stan fucking Humphries after Randall broke his leg week1. Real grinder I was.

https://youtu.be/h98_beH9V_8
    This game is the reason why I always yawn a little when people go all ape shit about great Nebraska teams. I'm sure @Mosster47 knows this given the levels at which he has coached, but 1995 may not necessarily be the most dominant season they've turned in. Consider that 83 Husker team and these scores: 44-6; 56-20; 84-13; 42-10; 63-7; 14-10; 34-13; 69-19; 51-25; 72-29; 67-13; 28-21. They killed pretty much everybody, and Mike Rosier ran for embarrassing yards. The Miami team they ran into had only a handful of legit NFL guys (Kosar, Kevin Fagan, Eddie Brown, and Alonzo Highsmith) and a bunch of other guys you've not heard of. The 81 and 82 teams were actually more talented, in that they also had Jim Kelly, Fred Marion, Ronnie Lippett and some other dudes who had nice NFL careers.

Miami was never behind, and forced this remarkably dominant team into fumbleroosky trickeration efforts to stay with them.

Miami ran the ball on them for 1 buck 50 or so, and Kosar passed for over 300. Boom. Nebraska could not handle pro style passing teams, and Kosar was always a ridiculously accurate passer - college and pro. Coupled with a spirited effort on defense, and you got what you got.

The 95 team may or may not have been better than the 83 team - beating the crap out of soft af no defense "fun and gun" Florida doesn't do it for me - but whatever difference there was between 83 and 95 Nebraska pales by comparison to the talent difference between 83 Miami and 01 Miami.