Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

First and Sad...

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,021
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

I'd feel safer if a few teachers on campus were knowingly armed, or had access to guns in strategically located gun safes within the school. Radical? Who GAF. Cowards like this crazy little fucker thrive when they know there won't be anyone shooting back at them. Let it be known that some teachers are well-trained and armed, and most of these shootings don't happen.

Yes if there is one thing that mass shooters that usually commit suicide are scared of, it's dying.

No one has done this expecting to get away.
    I think that's well known. The idea is to stop them immediately. Waiting for help to arrive means more time for the killer to carry out his crime. Average response time in most larger cities to a high priority call is 8 minutes. Rural areas can be 20 minutes to and hour.
    No The answer is to stop it before it happens. You can't rely on someone off site to stop it once it starts. Almost all of these little fucks have laid a trail of bread crumbs as to what they are going to do, but no one steps up and turns them in.
    The best way to stop it before it happens is to take away the guns.
    Everyone's?

How?
    Modify the second amendment to ban assault rifles.

This will never happen of course, because we have chosen to make gun fanatics more important than children.
    To you everything is an assault weapon. Take a peek a a guy I know named Jerry. Competed with him many times. This is what someone can do with a 6 shot revolver. Is this now an assault weapon? The Boobs of the world would call it one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
    Meanwhile...what the Founders had in mine when they wrote the damn thing.

So by that logic we are only allowed free speech if you speak it or print it on a one page at a time printing press. Computers the internet, telephones etc. are all not eligible for protection under the 1st amendment.

Your vehicle doesn't require a search warrant nor your computer or phone. We could go on but you get the idea.

They knew exactly what they were doing having just overthrown a tyrannical monarchy.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

There is no solution that fits today, but there is a real simple way to shape the future.

You make a permanent Brady Bill. No long rifle magazine larger than 5 rounds, rimfires 10 rounds, and handguns 10 rounds. You do a one time government buy back for magazines larger than that. Of course that won't get rid of more than 25% of the current ones in circulation but it's a start.

Second you have to obtain a license to buy a firearm and you have to get it renewed every 5 to 7 years like a drivers license. If a doctor thinks you are too dangerous to society to own a gun you lose your gun buying privileges until they thing you are good again, just like driving. Your guns aren't ever taken away. You just can't buy any if you lose your license.

Stable, law abiding citizens can still own a zillion guns and use them as tools like they are intended.

Easy peasy. Won't ever fucking happen.

Which of these would have stopped the shooting? None of them.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,041
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

I'd feel safer if a few teachers on campus were knowingly armed, or had access to guns in strategically located gun safes within the school. Radical? Who GAF. Cowards like this crazy little fucker thrive when they know there won't be anyone shooting back at them. Let it be known that some teachers are well-trained and armed, and most of these shootings don't happen.

Yes if there is one thing that mass shooters that usually commit suicide are scared of, it's dying.

I think that's well known. The idea is to stop them immediately. Waiting for help to arrive means more time for the killer to carry out his crime. Average response time in most larger cities to a high priority call is 8 minutes. Rural areas can be 20 minutes to and hour.
    No The answer is to stop it before it happens. You can't rely on someone off site to stop it once it starts. Almost all of these little fucks have laid a trail of bread crumbs as to what they are going to do, but no one steps up and turns them in.
    Everyone's?

How?

This will never happen of course, because we have chosen to make gun fanatics more important than children.
    To you everything is an assault weapon. Take a peek a a guy I know named Jerry. Competed with him many times. This is what someone can do with a 6 shot revolver. Is this now an assault weapon? The Boobs of the world would call it one.

So by that logic we are only allowed free speech if you speak it or print it on a one page at a time printing press. Computers the internet, telephones etc. are all not eligible for protection under the 1st amendment.

Your vehicle doesn't require a search warrant nor your computer or phone. We could go on but you get the idea.

They knew exactly what they were doing having just overthrown a tyrannical monarchy.
    Not all technological advancements are equal in their lethality.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

Everyone's?

How?

Not all technological advancements are equal in their lethality.
    It's not technology it's morality that's the problem.

No one calling for a ban on large trucks today though. Deadly hunks of unbelievable power.

Gasoline too. A couple Molotov cocktail couple kill hundreds.

If we ban everything humans can kill with we'll all be in wheelchairs and limbless.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

This is your ideal society?
    Pragmatic is the word you're looking for.
    Personally, I think trying to solve the root problem is better than accepting guns in schools and teachers trained as shooters as pragmatic.
    That's fair. How do you plan to solve the mental health crisis in America? More drugs clearly isn't working.

In the interim, we need a pragmatic solution that will work. This solution is the pink elephant the left doesn't want to talk about.
    I think the mental health crisis is about societal conditions, and probably largely driven by media as some have said. That is an extremely complex problem that cannot be solved quickly.

But in the interim, in fact in the interim and beyond, I think a civilian ban on assault weapons/magazines is pragmatic. Standard capacity semi auto handguns and standard capacity recreational weapons can stick around with background checks and some level of pre-sale mandatory safety training. I don't think anyone will ever convince me that an assault weapon is practical and necessary outside of military or paramilitary use.
    They are for defense against a tyrannical government. The right to arms and self defense is an inalienable right that existed prior to the constitution and is considered God given. You can't revoke it. Ever.
    Jesus why didn't you just say that earlier? I posted like 6 times for no fucking reason.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

Everyone's?

How?

The strict constructionists hate you now.

PS: that's kinda the point. Spending time thinking about what someone was thinking 200 years ago lost its appeal about 100 years ago. Principles to be applied in the age in which they are considered. And today, the idea that your gun collection is a legitimate buffer against a modern-day government and military is frankly silly and contrived.

When everyone had the same, inaccurate, hard af to load, pea shooters and a few family and friends could put up a fight against a military regiment? Yeah, different story.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

Everyone's?

How?

PS: that's kinda the point. Spending time thinking about what someone was thinking 200 years ago lost its appeal about 100 years ago. Principles to be applied in the age in which they are considered. And today, the idea that your gun collection is a legitimate buffer against a modern-day government and military is frankly silly and contrived.

When everyone had the same, inaccurate, hard af to load, pea shooters and a few family and friends could put up a fight against a military regiment? Yeah, different story.

That's what it is for. Since you don't think it's useful everyone should lose their rights. Got it.

Odd the Japanese didn't think it silly in WWII.

"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

Admiral Yamamoto.

FYI rapid fire kick ass guns existed a long time ago. Here is one from the early 1700's long before the revolution. They knew what deadly was . HTH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

Personally, I think trying to solve the root problem is better than accepting guns in schools and teachers trained as shooters as pragmatic.
    That's fair. How do you plan to solve the mental health crisis in America? More drugs clearly isn't working.

In the interim, we need a pragmatic solution that will work. This solution is the pink elephant the left doesn't want to talk about.
    I think the mental health crisis is about societal conditions, and probably largely driven by media as some have said. That is an extremely complex problem that cannot be solved quickly.

But in the interim, in fact in the interim and beyond, I think a civilian ban on assault weapons/magazines is pragmatic. Standard capacity semi auto handguns and standard capacity recreational weapons can stick around with background checks and some level of pre-sale mandatory safety training. I don't think anyone will ever convince me that an assault weapon is practical and necessary outside of military or paramilitary use.
    So you support a ban of assault weapons from local police forces? including federal agencies like Bureau of Land Management?

If so, I'm willing to trade.

If not, I'm going to cling to the 2nd Amendment with every fiber of my being.
    Paramilitary use includes SWAT so technically that part of the police force would be fine. I don't think regular patrolmen need assault weapons, but I could be talked in to high capacity mags for their service weapons along with the pump shotty that most have in the back of the squad car. That should be plenty to suppress a shooter until SWAT gets there. I don't know why the BLM would need AR's, but if there was a case I would listen.

The irony about police is that from a 2nd amendment, protecting yourself from tyranny standpoint, the militarization of local police forces is something citizens should be 100x more worried about than the federal government.
    I like this post

I think somewhere in this thread someone answered my question and said the kid got the gun legally.

I'm in favor of changing that law today

I don't think everything is a slippery slope. I think insane people probably should not have guns

#Courage

AR 15 or AK 47 type weapons should be very hard to obtain after vigorous vetting

To out law a gun we need to be specific. To just say "assault rifle" won't stand the test. List the guns you want to ban all together and go from there.

Guns are like most issues these days. They work better for fundraising than they do for getting a resolution.

Everybody does it

We're fucked

Go DAWGS
    I support this post.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

Everyone's?

How?

I guess you missed Wolverines
    Missed it? Red Dawn is only the greatest movie in the history of cinema.
  • Options
    dflea said:

Hey look - this shit is complicated.

Sledog, aas much as I want to light him on fire and use a stealroller to put him out with - isn't wrong. Our founders may very well have written the 2nd amendment as is, regardless of advances in technology - because it was written to allow people to oppose a tyrannical government. Of course they couldn't have predicted the feds would have nuclear warheads and Abrams tanks one day - their intent was to allow citizens to oppose the government. Without seeing school shootings, they may have been all down with the citizen owning ANY fucking weapon because that's what it would take to oppose a corrupt government.

I know this - no fucking citizen or group of citizens is going to take on the government at this point. We've gone way the fuck past that point. One platoon, let alone one carrier group, could put down ANY oppostion you could possibly imagine. At this point, citizens owning weapons that hold 30 rounds or have automatic fire capability are just using the 2nd amendment to enable mass killings. I say that as someone who has hunted and owned firearms since I was 12 years old, and still supports 2nd amendment rights and shooting and hunting as recreation.

If gun owners don't get on board with reasonable restrictions on firearm possession, then unreasonable restrictions are going to get rammed right down our fucking throats. Some of you may think that's OK to go down fighting - likely that's the faggots that don't own guns, they just idolize them - but I am never going to think it's OK to hand over my fucking guns because you fucking retards couldn't see the writing on the wall and put reasonable restrictions in place to minimize the odds of another mass shooting.

Get on board gun owners. The time is now. If we don't start supporting laws that keep guns out of the hands of kooks, then we're going to have even tougher restrictions foisted upon us by people that think no guns is the only answer. Is your dipshit buddy with the watermelon shooting AR-15 more important to you than your Ruger M77 .270 that you killed your first elk with? Well, you'd better decide - because it's coming to that.

This shit is fucking serious. It's not a time for the likes of salemcooger and his worthless commentary. If this continues, then even the NRA isn't going to be able to stem the rising tide of unrest over these mass shootings - especially those involving kids.

I'd be even more concerned had I not lost all my firearms in that unfortunate boating accident years ago.

Fuck all you assholes for making get all serious and shit. I don't like doing that, but I thought time called for it. One way or another, this shit can't keep going on.

probably the most important point raised, especially for the gun crowd.

From what I read tonight, we're talking about an adopted Autistic kid on SSRIs who lost his mom to the fucking flu a year ago and his dad to something else before that. A kid with a long record of problems at school. THAT kid was able to buy a semi auto for a few hundy, LEGALLY, in less than an hour's time.

And we're here salemkewging ourselves through a 2nd amendment debate and musing about the good old days when bullying was ok.

Jeebus. Where's Ms. Vashon? Someone should tell her there's a retard party up in here.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Semi and full auto firearms have been around for well over a hundred years. Prior to 1932 you could walk in to your local gun shop or hardware store and buy a Thompson sub machine gun or a Browning BAR.

My point is guns haven't really changed at all but somehow we have. Kids used to take their guns to school in rural areas so they could hunt to and from school and were usually racked in the school office. We didn't have school shootings. What's different? The way children are raised? Massive use of prescription psychotropic drugs? Kids on Ritalin? The thought of being remembered for their act?

I don't know. There are more than 8 million AR 15's out there and millions more of the many other various semi autos. The government doesn't know where they are. You can not go get them unless someone is willing to search every home in the entire country and that won't work either. You can't outlaw what you can't control or find. Mexico cops just recovered a big stash of AK's, ammo, grenades and claymore mines near our border. Hundreds of thousands of people sneak in to our country every year. So those that say "legalize drugs we can't stop them" think this stupid horse shit will work.

It's a people problem not a gun problem.

I typed this long ass post on my phone so don't bitch!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,939
    Sledog said:

Semi and full auto firearms have been around for well over a hundred years. Prior to 1932 you could walk in to your local gun shop or hardware store and buy a Thompson sub machine gun or a Browning BAR.

My point is guns haven't really changed at all but somehow we have. Kids used to take their guns to school in rural areas so they could hunt to and from school and were usually racked in the school office. We didn't have school shootings. What's different? The way children are raised? Massive use of prescription psychotropic drugs? Kids on Ritalin? The thought of being remembered for their act?

I don't know. There are more than 8 million AR 15's out there and millions more of the many other various semi autos. The government doesn't know where they are. You can not go get them unless someone is willing to search every home in the entire country and that won't work either. You can't outlaw what you can't control or find. Mexico cops just recovered a big stash of AK's, ammo, grenades and claymore mines near our border. Hundreds of thousands of people sneak in to our country every year. So those that say "legalize drugs we can't stop them" think this stupid horse shit will work.

Two things immediately come to mind:

Kids stare endlessly into screens. Studies are already showing the brain synapses are wiring themselves different than in the past. Let alone socialization and coping skills that *real* human interaction provide.

Second - the massive amounts of prescription drugs being given to kids has to be affecting their brain development. Just has to. That Ritalin shit has addictive capabilities and lord knows the long term affect on the brain. Coupled with massive screen time, I have to think this is a cocktail for disaster.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,041
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

salemcoog said:

Sledog said:

Everyone's?

How?

I guess you missed Wolverines
    Missed it? Red Dawn is only the greatest movie in the history of cinema.
    Fucking traitor.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

They are for defense against a tyrannical government. The right to arms and self defense is an inalienable right that existed prior to the constitution and is considered God given. You can't revoke it. Ever.
    Are you reading the Quran or some shit? Cause that's not in the Bible I read.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

My point is guns haven't really changed at all but somehow we have
    . Kids used to take their guns to school in rural areas so they could hunt to and from school and were usually racked in the school office. We didn't have school shootings. What's different? The way children are raised? Massive use of prescription psychotropic drugs? Kids on Ritalin? The thought of being remembered for their act?

Wut? That's right, contrary to what I watch on the history channel, they did have fully automatic weapons in the 1700s when the Constitution was written. And tanks and attack helicopters.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

LebamDawg said:

don't see how something like this can happen in a drug free and gun free zone. the kid probly didn't take his anti-depressants or he took too many...

THIS is the issue. We bitch and moan about gun control - but, honestly, how many of these fucks have serious mental issues that we(?) have been shamed into pitying and handling with kid gloves?

Some of these fucks needs lobotomized or institutionalized. I don't have the answer for who decides or how that happens - but extracting these poor tormented souls from the general populace certainly would decrease this kind of shit from happening.

Not really a fan of people control any more than I'm a fan of gun control.

It's not like one would be any easier or constitutionally sound than the other, either.
    But if we? were serious it has to be both. Content control too. A lot of things we aren't willing to give up. Its far easier to offer ts and ps or rail about gun control. Neither of which does much

If you go back to before mass consumption of media we were a far less violent country.

Aren't violent crime rates down these days?

I'm sure there are cherry picked statistics that say that, compared to 1975 or something. But that's the shit politicians love to say to paper over the fact that some asshole just killed a bunch of innocent kids, as though those killings represent a statistical improvement since the old, more violent days. So, all you people who didn't get shot can relax, because you're actually quite safe. Statistically.
    Or it could be that violent crime is down.
    And what does it matter to the parents of 17 dead kids in Florida?

Or you? Or me?
    I didn't say it did. Race said we're more violent today. Crime statistics say otherwise. It's just that school shootings are a kind of violence we didn't see before.

Are you going to need to argue about that now?
    I'm not so much arguing as questioning the relevance of those stats in light of the nature of these attacks. One person with a semi-auto is one hell of a lot more dangerous and violent than some French Connection era mother fuckers armed with a cheap Saturday Night Specials. I see that "but crime is actually down" stat a lot, which I think is employed as a distraction, much like - dare I say it - when someone starts lobbing Chicago's black-on-black murder rate into a discussion of police shootings of black people. In that case, both sides hyperbolize the fuck out of things, and the facts get overshadowed by rhetoric.

In these specific mass-shooting cases, I think we need to start expecting them, training for them, and - maybe I'm all alone in this - training school teachers and administrators how to shoot and authorizing a number of them to have access to gun safes inside schools. Pre-School and Soccer moms are coming for my head this very second. But the fact is that everyone is helpless for too many minutes until police arrive, and they usually don't reach an active shooter for several minutes even after their arrival.

I have one kid still in HS, and they get their share of gun threats and security lockdowns at his school. Would I feel more protected against a mass shooting if a couple service veterans in the building had access to weapons hidden in a gun safe somewhere in or near their classrooms? Absolutely. No two ways about it. Otherwise, they're all sitting ducks. All of them. Completely defenseless.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Alexis said:

I read that the school has 3000 students. Add to that, what, 100 teachers or so, and some more staff members. That is basically the size of a small town like Algona. (Southend bitches!) Why the fuck would anyone think that a small towns worth of people, all of whom are at the most fucked up age imaginable, would be able to police themselves? Especially adding in the fact that the grown ups in this equation have absolutely no ability or authorization to discipline the kids anymore.

Why the fuck aren't there 3 cops employed at this school, or at least 2 and 2 security guards. And if cost is an issue, then fire one of the 3 vice principals, or teach him to be a security guard.

I like the way you think. (Faggy Wink ;))