Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vegas terror attack

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,046
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

BearsWiin said:

If I had my druthers, we'd be closer to Great Britain- i.e., Shotguns and Hunting Rifles only - and to own any fireman, you have to have a doc certify that you aren't nuts. That said, this isn't realistic in the US, but the idealist in me would like to see something like a complete semi automatic rifle (maybe semi shot guns too) ban; and extremely intrusive regs on handgun ownership + limits on magazine capacity- i.e., if you want to own a piece you have to go through the ringer. Obviously with something like this you're talking about a massive buy back program. Moving on to illegally owned guns - significant jail time/fines if you break the rules. Alas, this is all a pipe dream so feel free to WTF all you want.

The gun control regimes that work best are none (e.g., Japan) or extremely restrictive (e.g., UK) BUT we could be doing a hell of a lot better than we are now. 10 rifles in a Las Vegas hotel room is not a well regulated militia guaranteeing our liberty.

You really don't have to go that far to find a firearms regulation regime that works much better than ours. Just look to Canada. They're most like us, rich and post-industrial, frontier mentality, etc. and they have extremely restrictive regulations on handguns, less so for long guns. Per capita firearm homicide rate 1/7 of the US. These high-profile sensational mass shootings get a lot of attention, but it's the mundane handgun shootings that pile up the homicide and injury stats. Concealability and portability mean that people can stick handguns under their shirts or in their door pockets and escalate otherwise low-level conflicts to lethal levels very quickly, or worry about the other guy doing the same. This is also what makes cops so jumpy when dealing with mundane things like traffic stops; you want to cut down on police shootings, get rid of handguns.

Obviously this guy used long guns, which aren't used very often but are sensationalized when they are used. Magazine capacity restrictions might work, as cutting availability would likely keep many, but not all, from getting higher capacity magazines. There are still illegal means, and black markets, but one would have to be more seriously motivated than your average crank to go through those channels.

Every time one of these shootings occurs we hear a lot about mental health. We tend to think that somebody who does this kind of thing must be mentally ill or crazy, and that there must be signs beforehand that we can pick up on. I'm not so sure. Humans are naturally impulsive, and we tend to overreact when we get angry. Mix easily lethal firearms into the equation, and we get deadly crimes of passion from domestic disputes to traffic altercations. Again, most committed with handguns. Problem-solving through gunplay is also prevalent in popular culture, so we're operating in an environment where people may feel like gun use is an acceptable form of self-expression, whether impulsive or, as it seems in this instance, planned. (not blaming popular culture or society here, but that kind of thing does resonate with some who feel angry or aggrieved)
    Agree. I'm fine with a near hand gun ban along the Canader model. And if you absolutely need to own one, then we're going to put you through the ringer.
    Please to be moving to Canada.
    I've stated here on many occasions that we need to "absord" most of Canada into the Union (leave out Quebec and the Maritimes). Manifest Destiny and no need to move.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Sledog said:

BearsWiin said:

If I had my druthers, we'd be closer to Great Britain- i.e., Shotguns and Hunting Rifles only - and to own any fireman, you have to have a doc certify that you aren't nuts. That said, this isn't realistic in the US, but the idealist in me would like to see something like a complete semi automatic rifle (maybe semi shot guns too) ban; and extremely intrusive regs on handgun ownership + limits on magazine capacity- i.e., if you want to own a piece you have to go through the ringer. Obviously with something like this you're talking about a massive buy back program. Moving on to illegally owned guns - significant jail time/fines if you break the rules. Alas, this is all a pipe dream so feel free to WTF all you want.

The gun control regimes that work best are none (e.g., Japan) or extremely restrictive (e.g., UK) BUT we could be doing a hell of a lot better than we are now. 10 rifles in a Las Vegas hotel room is not a well regulated militia guaranteeing our liberty.

You really don't have to go that far to find a firearms regulation regime that works much better than ours. Just look to Canada. They're most like us, rich and post-industrial, frontier mentality, etc. and they have extremely restrictive regulations on handguns, less so for long guns. Per capita firearm homicide rate 1/7 of the US. These high-profile sensational mass shootings get a lot of attention, but it's the mundane handgun shootings that pile up the homicide and injury stats. Concealability and portability mean that people can stick handguns under their shirts or in their door pockets and escalate otherwise low-level conflicts to lethal levels very quickly, or worry about the other guy doing the same. This is also what makes cops so jumpy when dealing with mundane things like traffic stops; you want to cut down on police shootings, get rid of handguns.

Obviously this guy used long guns, which aren't used very often but are sensationalized when they are used. Magazine capacity restrictions might work, as cutting availability would likely keep many, but not all, from getting higher capacity magazines. There are still illegal means, and black markets, but one would have to be more seriously motivated than your average crank to go through those channels.

Every time one of these shootings occurs we hear a lot about mental health. We tend to think that somebody who does this kind of thing must be mentally ill or crazy, and that there must be signs beforehand that we can pick up on. I'm not so sure. Humans are naturally impulsive, and we tend to overreact when we get angry. Mix easily lethal firearms into the equation, and we get deadly crimes of passion from domestic disputes to traffic altercations. Again, most committed with handguns. Problem-solving through gunplay is also prevalent in popular culture, so we're operating in an environment where people may feel like gun use is an acceptable form of self-expression, whether impulsive or, as it seems in this instance, planned. (not blaming popular culture or society here, but that kind of thing does resonate with some who feel angry or aggrieved)
    Agree. I'm fine with a near hand gun ban along the Canader model. And if you absolutely need to own one, then we're going to put you through the ringer.
    I've stated here on many occasions that we need to "absord" most of Canada into the Union (leave out Quebec and the Maritimes). Manifest Destiny and no need to move.

If we? absorb them, they adopt our? laws, not the other way around. And if we're? going to bother with absorbing that country of annoying persons, Quebec and the rest need to be absorbed as well.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

BearsWiin said:

If we? absorb them, they adopt our? laws, not the other way around. And if we're? going to bother with absorbing that country of annoying persons, Quebec and the rest need to be absorbed as well.
    That's a good question my friend. We can let the lawyers sort it out.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Sledog said:

BearsWiin said:

That's a good question my friend. We can let the lawyers sort it out.
    To the victors go the spoils my fren.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    While the focus here is for better screening as to who has weapons and what kind is correct. We need to have a more comprehensive background check on weapons purchases and also hard line custody responsibility for what those weapons do. Meaning that if you let someone use your weapon and they do something, you're as culpable as the shooter.

But what the best prevention method will always be is paying attention when someone you know or are an acquaintance, co worker or neighbor is losing it. This guys brother who lives in FLA is shocked that it happened but He probably hasn't talked to him nor seen him for a long time. However I'm sure someone at his work or neighbors probably saw something off with him. With the exception of this Universal cesspool, People need to speak up when someone is showing signs of going off of the rails.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Gopnik is a little over-the-top, but du Rivage's book/thesis sounds very interesting
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,555
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    tragic event - my first thought was OJ got released the day before? Conincidence? that is how this website has chinfluenced my thought processes
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Mosster47 said:

If 250 round magazines didn't exist and only five round magazines were accessable to the public like how they are sold in "hunting AR's" today then this shooting still happens, but is much slower and much less lethal.

You could say they would make their own (they wouldn't) or they would get them from outside the US (not likely).

People have ALWAYS gone crazy and guns have always existed. Look at the mass shooting numbers during the Brady Bill era and compare them to the period after them. When crazy has way more fucking rounds without having to stop to reload or even aim to wipe out hordes of people that's a common sense foul.

Why can't you walk into Wal-Mart and buy a hand grenade? You know the fucking answer, but there is a pause when people talk about taking away 250 round barrel magazines. That's fucking retarded. News flash, an AR with 250 rounds is much more deadly than a hand grenade, yet hand grenades are way too dangerous to sell to the general public.

I own more guns than 90% of America, but I'm not stupid. This has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.

Send over one a them 'thar 250 round magamazines will ya Shmarty pants?

250 round belts yes, magazines no.

This was Nevada where machine gun ownership is legal. But that means he passed an extensive FBI background check. IIRC there have only been 2 murders committed with legally owned machine guns. There's about 250,000 of them in the country.
    So you're saying that stringent backround checks and regulation of firearms saves lives?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    Mosster47 said:

The Brady Bill needs to come back and not have a time limit.

I loved how they reported that it isn't terrorism or linked to terrorism. Only brown people can be terrorists. If you tell white people that white people are terrorists you can't sell them fear anymore.

This is over-simplified bullshit. It's terrorism when it's linked to a political cause or ideology and intended to intimidate, coerce, or just plain deter or kill opposition to one's own cause. It comes in all shapes and sizes when the relationship is established. If there isn't that relationship, then there's no cause to call it Terrorism.

Let's make everything about race, though.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

It would be wrong to politicize this tragedy by discussing the relationship between easy access to firearms and mass shootings in the United States.

Guns kill people, people don't kill people POTD.
    Just think of how many people this asshole could have killed by hurling knives and ninja stars from his hotel balcony instead of spraying the crowd with rifle fire.
    Automatic weapons and high capacity magazines are WMD's, period. They shouldn't be available to the general public regardless of their background check capabilities.
    This, I agree with. Notable absence of conspiracy theories and presumed inherent racism.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Mike "WTF" Damone lives!

His relentless wtf''s without comment have been quite chincensitive and have hurt my feelings
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Maybe he was just Chinsensed over a YouTube video
  • Options
    Why not take them at their word and drop a few 500lb bombs on top of them in response?

Lesson: Don't take credit for work that isn't yours. Cheaters get punished.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe but there is no way this is some fuck who just snapped. Way too much planning. He's a terrorist. Just a matter of who was pulling his strings