Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vegas terror attack

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2017

If I had my druthers, we'd be closer to Great Britain- i.e., Shotguns and Hunting Rifles only - and to own any fireman, you have to have a doc certify that you aren't nuts. That said, this isn't realistic in the US, but the idealist in me would like to see something like a complete semi automatic rifle (maybe semi shot guns too) ban; and extremely intrusive regs on handgun ownership + limits on magazine capacity- i.e., if you want to own a piece you have to go through the ringer. Obviously with something like this you're talking about a massive buy back program. Moving on to illegally owned guns - significant jail time/fines if you break the rules. Alas, this is all a pipe dream so feel free to WTF all you want.

The gun control regimes that work best are none (e.g., Japan) or extremely restrictive (e.g., UK) BUT we could be doing a hell of a lot better than we are now. 10 rifles in a Las Vegas hotel room is not a well regulated militia guaranteeing our liberty.

You really don't have to go that far to find a firearms regulation regime that works much better than ours. Just look to Canada. They're most like us, rich and post-industrial, frontier mentality, etc. and they have extremely restrictive regulations on handguns, less so for long guns. Per capita firearm homicide rate 1/7 of the US. These high-profile sensational mass shootings get a lot of attention, but it's the mundane handgun shootings that pile up the homicide and injury stats. Concealability and portability mean that people can stick handguns under their shirts or in their door pockets and escalate otherwise low-level conflicts to lethal levels very quickly, or worry about the other guy doing the same. This is also what makes cops so jumpy when dealing with mundane things like traffic stops; you want to cut down on police shootings, get rid of handguns.

Obviously this guy used long guns, which aren't used very often but are sensationalized when they are used. Magazine capacity restrictions might work, as cutting availability would likely keep many, but not all, from getting higher capacity magazines. There are still illegal means, and black markets, but one would have to be more seriously motivated than your average crank to go through those channels.

Every time one of these shootings occurs we hear a lot about mental health. We tend to think that somebody who does this kind of thing must be mentally ill or crazy, and that there must be signs beforehand that we can pick up on. I'm not so sure. Humans are naturally impulsive, and we tend to overreact when we get angry. Mix easily lethal firearms into the equation, and we get deadly crimes of passion from domestic disputes to traffic altercations. Again, most committed with handguns. Problem-solving through gunplay is also prevalent in popular culture, so we're operating in an environment where people may feel like gun use is an acceptable form of self-expression, whether impulsive or, as it seems in this instance, planned. (not blaming popular culture or society here, but that kind of thing does resonate with some who feel angry or aggrieved)
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Sledog said:

Watching the video the rate of fire sounds like about 5-600 RPM. That would match the AK. The M-16 is as high as 750 RPM. Could be any number of guns though. Possible it's a semi-auto with a crank trigger device or slide fire stock. Rate of fire seems to vary. Just watched another video with a pretty long string of fire. Pretty consistent. If this is an ISIS op, guy doesn't fit the profile, any kind of weapon would be possible. Guns are easy to get over the border.

yeah that barrel wouldn't melt at all with that rate of fire
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Watching the video the rate of fire sounds like about 5-600 RPM. That would match the AK. The M-16 is as high as 750 RPM. Could be any number of guns though. Possible it's a semi-auto with a crank trigger device or slide fire stock. Rate of fire seems to vary. Just watched another video with a pretty long string of fire. Pretty consistent. If this is an ISIS op, guy doesn't fit the profile, any kind of weapon would be possible. Guns are easy to get over the border.

Wrong way. Guns go south, drugs go north.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

Who da fuck knows. Charles Whitman type? But wifey I'd a "person of interest."

Also, OBK, I like guns and am probably a better shot and know much more about them than you do.

Regulation to ensure public safety of a dangerous instrumentality =\= confiscation.

I'm fucking tired of mass murders happening every time some whack job gets it in his head to blow people away. It's fucking preventable terrorism.

Because there would never be such a thing as a black market
    Lifelong gun owner and hunter here.

This argument has never made a ton of sense to me. Yes, there would be a black market. However in places that don't have monthly horrific mass casualty shootings, they too have a black market for guns. So what's your point?

On a related note, >75% of the people I know that own ARs are giant pussies who think big cool guns will make their cocks get bigger. Most of them are barely above welfare and work minimum wage jobs because they barely graduated high school but somehow can afford a $1000 gun.

I do have a few buddies that have ARs and they swear they're a boatload of fun though.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

Also, OBK, I like guns and am probably a better shot and know much more about them than you do.

Regulation to ensure public safety of a dangerous instrumentality =\= confiscation.

I'm fucking tired of mass murders happening every time some whack job gets it in his head to blow people away. It's fucking preventable terrorism.

This argument has never made a ton of sense to me. Yes, there would be a black market. However in places that don't have monthly horrific mass casualty shootings, they too have a black market for guns. So what's your point?

On a related note, >75% of the people I know that own ARs are giant pussies who think big cool guns will make their cocks get bigger. Most of them are barely above welfare and work minimum wage jobs because they barely graduated high school but somehow can afford a $1000 gun.

I do have a few buddies that have ARs and they swear they're a boatload of fun though.
    They are ridiculous fun. That said, i haven't shot mine in a couple years now.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

dhdawg said:

I'm gonna wait until we find out how these guns were acquired before I start that debate.

How the fuck was this guy able to transport 12 AR's into his hotel room in vegas?

You could pack 6 into a suit-hanger bag, rather easily.
    Golf and ski bags could smuggle the long guns in quite nicely as well.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

I get a kick out of seeing the militia types strutting around in their camo gear with ARs, as if resisting government oppression is like some fucking weekend paintball game.

Back in 1992 I went up to a shooting expedition in the high desert with a bunch of well-armed guys (one who brought a homemade 3" cannon strapped broadside in the back of his stakebed truck). Shot somebody's AR while we were up there; very low recoil, kept on the target nicely. Much better than my SKS! Also went full-auto with a modified M1 carbine; several guys up there had filed down some piece in the receiver mechanism that allowed semi-auto to become full auto. If you know what you're doing, it seems easy to convert a lot of the semi-autos out there.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,237
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

They are a boatload of fun. Lightweight, very little recoil, and reasonably accurate, though IMO, if you're used to shooting bolt action hunting rifles, you will be a little disappointed with the latter. A decent bolt action .22-250 with a good scope is much more impressive in terms of power and accuracy. Or even better, a barrel eating .22 swift, the veritable varmint vaporizer.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

They are a boatload of fun. Lightweight, very little recoil, and reasonably accurate, though IMO, if you're used to shooting bolt action hunting rifles, you will be a little disappointed with the latter. A decent bolt action .22-250 with a good scope is much more impressive in terms of power and accuracy. Or even better, a barrel eating .22 swift, the veritable varmint vaporizer.

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

I have a .22-250 and yes, it is perfect for eradicating gophers from the fields.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,237
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Woof said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

I have a .22-250 and yes, it is perfect for eradicating gophers from the fields.
    That's my favorite round. Makes me look like a better shot than I really am. Very flat trajectory, and great range for a small caliber round. Great for gophers and Coyotes.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,972
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

If I had my druthers, we'd be closer to Great Britain- i.e., Shotguns and Hunting Rifles only - and to own any fireman, you have to have a doc certify that you aren't nuts. That said, this isn't realistic in the US, but the idealist in me would like to see something like a complete semi automatic rifle (maybe semi shot guns too) ban; and extremely intrusive regs on handgun ownership + limits on magazine capacity- i.e., if you want to own a piece you have to go through the ringer. Obviously with something like this you're talking about a massive buy back program. Moving on to illegally owned guns - significant jail time/fines if you break the rules. Alas, this is all a pipe dream so feel free to WTF all you want.

The gun control regimes that work best are none (e.g., Japan) or extremely restrictive (e.g., UK) BUT we could be doing a hell of a lot better than we are now. 10 rifles in a Las Vegas hotel room is not a well regulated militia guaranteeing our liberty.

You really don't have to go that far to find a firearms regulation regime that works much better than ours. Just look to Canada. They're most like us, rich and post-industrial, frontier mentality, etc. and they have extremely restrictive regulations on handguns, less so for long guns. Per capita firearm homicide rate 1/7 of the US. These high-profile sensational mass shootings get a lot of attention, but it's the mundane handgun shootings that pile up the homicide and injury stats. Concealability and portability mean that people can stick handguns under their shirts or in their door pockets and escalate otherwise low-level conflicts to lethal levels very quickly, or worry about the other guy doing the same. This is also what makes cops so jumpy when dealing with mundane things like traffic stops; you want to cut down on police shootings, get rid of handguns.

Obviously this guy used long guns, which aren't used very often but are sensationalized when they are used. Magazine capacity restrictions might work, as cutting availability would likely keep many, but not all, from getting higher capacity magazines. There are still illegal means, and black markets, but one would have to be more seriously motivated than your average crank to go through those channels.

Every time one of these shootings occurs we hear a lot about mental health. We tend to think that somebody who does this kind of thing must be mentally ill or crazy, and that there must be signs beforehand that we can pick up on. I'm not so sure. Humans are naturally impulsive, and we tend to overreact when we get angry. Mix easily lethal firearms into the equation, and we get deadly crimes of passion from domestic disputes to traffic altercations. Again, most committed with handguns. Problem-solving through gunplay is also prevalent in popular culture, so we're operating in an environment where people may feel like gun use is an acceptable form of self-expression, whether impulsive or, as it seems in this instance, planned. (not blaming popular culture or society here, but that kind of thing does resonate with some who feel angry or aggrieved)
    Agree. I'm fine with a near hand gun ban along the Canader model. And if you absolutely need to own one, then we're going to put you through the ringer.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

I get a kick out of seeing the militia types strutting around in their camo gear with ARs, as if resisting government oppression is like some fucking weekend paintball game.

Back in 1992 I went up to a shooting expedition in the high desert with a bunch of well-armed guys (one who brought a homemade 3" cannon strapped broadside in the back of his stakebed truck). Shot somebody's AR while we were up there; very low recoil, kept on the target nicely. Much better than my SKS! Also went full-auto with a modified M1 carbine; several guys up there had filed down some piece in the receiver mechanism that allowed semi-auto to become full auto. If you know what you're doing, it seems easy to convert a lot of the semi-autos out there.
    It doesn't work that way. Much more difficult to do than most think. The few guns that were easier to convert were taken off the market 20+ years ago and civilian AR's were modified so military parts won't work.

The fact that a well equipped machine shop can turn out a sub-machine gun in hours negates any control. With today's machinery they could build anything if they really want to.

Odd how the IRA never has a problem getting machine guns, grenades and explosives in gun free Britain. The French have recovered loots of AK's and worse from mosques around Paris. Objects aren't the problem people are.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Mosster47 said:

If 250 round magazines didn't exist and only five round magazines were accessable to the public like how they are sold in "hunting AR's" today then this shooting still happens, but is much slower and much less lethal.

You could say they would make their own (they wouldn't) or they would get them from outside the US (not likely).

People have ALWAYS gone crazy and guns have always existed. Look at the mass shooting numbers during the Brady Bill era and compare them to the period after them. When crazy has way more fucking rounds without having to stop to reload or even aim to wipe out hordes of people that's a common sense foul.

Why can't you walk into Wal-Mart and buy a hand grenade? You know the fucking answer, but there is a pause when people talk about taking away 250 round barrel magazines. That's fucking retarded. News flash, an AR with 250 rounds is much more deadly than a hand grenade, yet hand grenades are way too dangerous to sell to the general public.

I own more guns than 90% of America, but I'm not stupid. This has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.

Send over one a them 'thar 250 round magamazines will ya Shmarty pants?

250 round belts yes, magazines no.

This was Nevada where machine gun ownership is legal. But that means he passed an extensive FBI background check. IIRC there have only been 2 murders committed with legally owned machine guns. There's about 250,000 of them in the country.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,972
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

Your point on the market for the AR's matches my perception. I like guns that go bang as much as the next guy, but most of those dudes seem like a bunch of pussies that want to play soldier boy. That said, when the Zombie Apocalypse comes I'll probably die first, because my Remington 870 short barrel only holds 8 in the tube and it's not very fun to shoot (00 Buck kicks like a motherfucker).
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    AZDuck said:

Sledog said:

Yes that's why a US law enforcement officer was murdered. About 100 Mexicans have died because of those guns but you don't care about brown people.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Woof said:

Tequilla said:

AZDuck said:

Your point on the market for the AR's matches my perception. I like guns that go bang as much as the next guy, but most of those dudes seem like a bunch of pussies that want to play soldier boy. That said, when the Zombie Apocalypse comes I'll probably die first, because my Remington 870 short barrel only holds 8 in the tube and it's not very fun to shoot (00 Buck kicks like a motherfucker).
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

Agree. I'm fine with a near hand gun ban along the Canader model. And if you absolutely need to own one, then we're going to put you through the ringer.
    Please to be moving to Canada.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

AZDuck said:

Sledog said:

Yes that's why a US law enforcement officer was murdered. About 100 Mexicans have died because of those guns but you don't care about brown people.
    Well we all know how much you are concerned for the welfare of our Mexican neighbors.

Anyway, the gun that killed the Border Patrol officer that you seem to be concerned with was purchased in Phoenix, smuggled into Mexico, and carried back into the US by drug smugglers.

Which would seem to prove my point. Drugs go north, guns go south.