Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSiO Episode #32: Texas, Tequila, and Regional Recruiting Data...

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    I missed it. Is it on iTunes?
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    Swaye said:

I know you're all dying to hear my extended thoughts on the pod as well, so I'm just dropping by to say that you'll have my first 20-page draft by the end of September, when I might have finished listening to the first 2/3rds of it.

Can you add an index so I can avoid every page that mentions Texas?
    You mean the page that doesn't mention Texas?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    Ride Rhe Lightning Cunts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,788 Founders Club
    I take your love to mean that 1-31 has no mention of me. I brought art to HH dammit! ART! recognize butches!
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited July 2017

I take your love to mean that 1-31 has no mention of me. I brought art to HH dammit! ART! recognize butches!

@Tequilla is the only butch. Me and @CokeGreaterThanPepsi are both bottoms.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,167

We're going to have to get a site to host data, but just to show you guys... this is the top 25 states in terms of 4+* players per year and how many of those players each state has per million people.

St. - 4+/yr - 4+/mil
    Tex. - 57.80 - 2.10
    Calif. - 47.20 - 1.20
    Fla. - 43.40 - 2.08
    Ga. - 31.40 - 3.04
    Oh. - 21.40 - 1.82
    La. - 15.40 - 3.28
    Va. - 12.60 - 1.50
    Ala. - 12.00 - 2.50
    N.C. - 9.80 - 0.98
    Mich. - 9.60 - 0.96
    Penn. - 9.40 - 0.74
    Ill. - 8.80 - 0.66
    Miss. - 8.60 - 2.88
    Tenn. - 8.60 - 1.32
    N.J. - 8.40 - 0.94
    Md. - 8.00 - 1.34
    S.C. - 5.80 - 1.16
    Ariz. - 5.40 - 0.78
    Ind. - 4.80 - 0.76
    Mo. - 4.75 - 0.80
    Okla. - 4.20 - 1.06
    Wash. - 4.20 - 0.58
    Ut. - 4.00 - 1.32
    D.C. - 3.00 - 4.40

Pretty sure iDawg still has his gridiron stats site that is gathering cobwebs
    Just checked - doesn't look like it. Of course... my memory has cobwebs so maybe I forgot the right extension... .net right?
    In terms of the pod itself, yeah, the pre-emptive hating on Coker schtick is played out. If he is rambling and has gone no where you can call it out. The joke has reached 24 times however. You don't have to change the the dynamic without being repetitive. I think everyone (even Teq) actually brings something to the table. RC isn't the one to undermine though.

There was something that struck me as a logical inconsistency in the pod... of course it took 3 fucking hours over two days to listen to this so maybe this isn't quite right but basically point 1 was we need to pull 1-2 upper tier guys out of the region every year to close the talent gap and point 2 was we can't wait 10 years to build in-roads elsewhere because at that point we'll have already been successful enough that we will just have the cred to recruit top players.

So which is it- will we get there without recruiting out of the region or not?

If we do have to reach out of the region to pull kids where is it going to be?

Near east has no talent
    Middle east is tied to the big ten
    Far east doesn't know there is a Washington that isn't the capital of this country.
    Deep south sure as hell isn't coming here.
    Texas is aware we exists but just doesn't think anything (positive) of us.
    And now we've circled back around into the region which is the only place we have a real draw.

Like we'd really be just as good off running recruitment messages on Pac-12 Shandong.

There is no magic bullet here but a stance has to be taken - can we do it all in region or not. It almost sounded like someone wanted to say that with the right coaches we could scratch out a living in region but over the course of the marathon pod I don't remember that happening.

Also yeah, for all of us busy/adhd/married fucks more shorter pods is way better. Like I can't tell you whether two 1.5 hour pods is better than one 3 hour pod in your life, but in my life more shorter pods are better. When you do the conference review I'd rather 11 one hour rants about the other teams than 1 eleven hour manifesto. Like I'll still listen but I'll hate you and me the more for it.

In terms of haikus I really think Teq may have hit 17 syllables but I'm not sure. I went into this looking for a reason to give it to DDY but at the end it simply came down to @CokeGreaterThanPepsi had the best haiku
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    Mad_Son said:

In terms of the pod itself, yeah, the pre-emptive hating on Coker schtick is played out. If he is rambling and has gone no where you can call it out. The joke has reached 24 times however. You don't have to change the the dynamic without being repetitive. I think everyone (even Teq) actually brings something to the table. RC isn't the one to undermine though.

There was something that struck me as a logical inconsistency in the pod... of course it took 3 fucking hours over two days to listen to this so maybe this isn't quite right but basically point 1 was we need to pull 1-2 upper tier guys out of the region every year to close the talent gap and point 2 was we can't wait 10 years to build in-roads elsewhere because at that point we'll have already been successful enough that we will just have the cred to recruit top players.

So which is it- will we get there without recruiting out of the region or not?

If we do have to reach out of the region to pull kids where is it going to be?

Near east has no talent
    Middle east is tied to the big ten
    Far east doesn't know there is a Washington that isn't the capital of this country.
    Deep south sure as hell isn't coming here.
    Texas is aware we exists but just doesn't think anything (positive) of us.
    And now we've circled back around into the region which is the only place we have a real draw.

Like we'd really be just as good off running recruitment messages on Pac-12 Shandong.

There is no magic bullet here but a stance has to be taken - can we do it all in region or not. It almost sounded like someone wanted to say that with the right coaches we could scratch out a living in region but over the course of the marathon pod I don't remember that happening.

Also yeah, for all of us busy/adhd/married fucks more shorter pods is way better. Like I can't tell you whether two 1.5 hour pods is better than one 3 hour pod in your life, but in my life more shorter pods are better. When you do the conference review I'd rather 11 one hour rants about the other teams than 1 eleven hour manifesto. Like I'll still listen but I'll hate you and me the more for it.

In terms of haikus I really think Teq may have hit 17 syllables but I'm not sure. I went into this looking for a reason to give it to DDY but at the end it simply came down to @CokeGreaterThanPepsi had the best haiku

Thanks Tequila.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    Agree on the Coker point. Once Teq and DDY are fucked up he is the only one that makes salient points so please stop cutting him off.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    @Mad_Son

Does there have to be a conclusion drawn or consensus reached?

You are right in that themes throughout the pod was needing a few extra good players and likely needing to slightly expand our recruiting base. I fall into the line of thought that we need to expand and our ultimate long term success under Pete likely requires us to break norms. Pepsi and Dennis are skeptical that we will successfully do so. But the key in my mind is having that discussion and placing it on the table to get people thinking about it with historical facts supporting positions. It's likely a topic that will reoccur in pods over time as I expect our recruiting effort will be tied into this.

But to me, that's what makes the pod great is that you can have differing opinions that have logical reasons behind their stance. It's why over time we've been critical of Pease, Strausser, and now Malloe ... we look at the evidence and draw our conclusions.

Very fair point about the length of the pod ... we definitely don't walk into a pod thinking 3 hours. What I hope comes through in pods of that length is the passion that each of us have in discussing these topics as to varying degrees these are underlying issues for the program that will get us consistently into that elite range. There's no question listening back to the last hour that Dennis and I make it more challenging to find out points and conclusions ... apologies for that. They definitely are there but there's a lot more noise surrounding them than needed.

As for Pepsi, wasn't this board founded on the principal of the same joke being funny 81x in a row? To me, he's the Monty from Major League of the pod ... not the best color man in baseball for nothing. But you are right in that there are things that Pepsi sees that only he sees because that's who he is ...

Anyway, thanks for listening and the feedback
    Tequilla said:

@Mad_Son

Does there have to be a conclusion drawn or consensus reached?

You are right in that themes throughout the pod was needing a few extra good players and likely needing to slightly expand our recruiting base. I fall into the line of thought that we need to expand and our ultimate long term success under Pete likely requires us to break norms. Pepsi and Dennis are skeptical that we will successfully do so. But the key in my mind is having that discussion and placing it on the table to get people thinking about it with historical facts supporting positions. It's likely a topic that will reoccur in pods over time as I expect our recruiting effort will be tied into this.

But to me, that's what makes the pod great is that you can have differing opinions that have logical reasons behind their stance. It's why over time we've been critical of Pease, Strausser, and now Malloe ... we look at the evidence and draw our conclusions.

Very fair point about the length of the pod ... we definitely don't walk into a pod thinking 3 hours. What I hope comes through in pods of that length is the passion that each of us have in discussing these topics as to varying degrees these are underlying issues for the program that will get us consistently into that elite range. There's no question listening back to the last hour that Dennis and I make it more challenging to find out points and conclusions ... apologies for that. They definitely are there but there's a lot more noise surrounding them than needed.

As for Pepsi, wasn't this board founded on the principal of the same joke being funny 81x in a row? To me, he's the Monty from Major League of the pod ... not the best color man in baseball for nothing. But you are right in that there are things that Pepsi sees that only he sees because that's who he is ...

Anyway, thanks for listening and the feedback

You may have made the point (reaching out of region) and remained consistent however I think DDY agreed with that point then changed tune. Certainly I don't expect different people to always agree on every point.

In like Sark year two I remember doogs on dmc who loved our attempts to recruit nationally. DDY and I valiantly tried to explain the difficulty and costs of doing so and how it was a terrible idea (which of course proved true).

We're at a different point now though where we only need a couple guys and if we can get a foothold in a new territory that may be the sweet spot for incremental effort and having access to enough quality. I think our best bet is probably Texas due to recruit availability and culture (far from a perfect match but much closer than east coast for example). If we start winning championships then I think we could do stuff in the NE too where loyalties are weaker and our prestige can speak for itself.
    It's also worth noting that anther reason expanding to an additional region may work now (I'm not taking a stance yet but I'm open to it) is we are in a much better position and don't have to just sell snake oil as well as we're taking care of our bases first and this is a supplement, not the main course.
  • DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 603
    Mad_Son said:

It's also worth noting that anther reason expanding to an additional region may work now (I'm not taking a stance yet but I'm open to it) is we are in a much better position and don't have to just sell snake oil as well as we're taking care of our bases first and this is a supplement, not the main course.

I wonder to what extent Peterman is expanding the pool to make sure he has enough OKGs/good program fits to pick from

I mean, there's no question the talent should always be there in the west but maybe with a principled recruiting approach you need a bigger prospect pool and recruiting territory than the average top-tier program
  • DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 603

Mad_Son said:

I wonder to what extent Peterman is expanding the pool to make sure he has enough OKGs/good program fits to pick from

I mean, there's no question the talent should always be there in the west but maybe with a principled recruiting approach you need a bigger prospect pool and recruiting territory than the average top-tier program
    Taking this a bit further, maybe we need to consider an additional coefficient for "OKG-ness" in the expected value recruiting calculations that @Tequilla @CokeGreaterThanPepsi @Dennis_DeYoung talk about

This could swing the expected value pretty significantly away from non-OKG 3-star WA guys and more toward 3/4 star OKGs in TX and afield if OKG-ness is a major success factor

However I have been drinking this evening so what do I know