Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSiO Episode #32: Texas, Tequila, and Regional Recruiting Data...

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

We're going to have to get a site to host data, but just to show you guys... this is the top 25 states in terms of 4+* players per year and how many of those players each state has per million people.

St. - 4+/yr - 4+/mil
    Tex. - 57.80 - 2.10
    Calif. - 47.20 - 1.20
    Fla. - 43.40 - 2.08
    Ga. - 31.40 - 3.04
    Oh. - 21.40 - 1.82
    La. - 15.40 - 3.28
    Va. - 12.60 - 1.50
    Ala. - 12.00 - 2.50
    N.C. - 9.80 - 0.98
    Mich. - 9.60 - 0.96
    Penn. - 9.40 - 0.74
    Ill. - 8.80 - 0.66
    Miss. - 8.60 - 2.88
    Tenn. - 8.60 - 1.32
    N.J. - 8.40 - 0.94
    Md. - 8.00 - 1.34
    S.C. - 5.80 - 1.16
    Ariz. - 5.40 - 0.78
    Ind. - 4.80 - 0.76
    Mo. - 4.75 - 0.80
    Okla. - 4.20 - 1.06
    Wash. - 4.20 - 0.58
    Ut. - 4.00 - 1.32
    D.C. - 3.00 - 4.40

Pretty sure iDawg still has his gridiron stats site that is gathering cobwebs
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

Glad to see a new Podcast.

Here's a question for you boys: As of today from strictly a recruiting standpoint, would we have been better to have just ripped the band aid off w/ Jimmy Lake leaving to be the DC at Cal, as there can't be any top level DB who thinks Lake will be here after this season?

We may have been better off with Jimmy Lake leaving late last year. It is really hurting our 2018 DB recruiting.
    That's all you needed to say

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    so, did I get a fucking shout out or what?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851

We're going to have to get a site to host data, but just to show you guys... this is the top 25 states in terms of 4+* players per year and how many of those players each state has per million people.

St. - 4+/yr - 4+/mil
    Tex. - 57.80 - 2.10
    Calif. - 47.20 - 1.20
    Fla. - 43.40 - 2.08
    Ga. - 31.40 - 3.04
    Oh. - 21.40 - 1.82
    La. - 15.40 - 3.28
    Va. - 12.60 - 1.50
    Ala. - 12.00 - 2.50
    N.C. - 9.80 - 0.98
    Mich. - 9.60 - 0.96
    Penn. - 9.40 - 0.74
    Ill. - 8.80 - 0.66
    Miss. - 8.60 - 2.88
    Tenn. - 8.60 - 1.32
    N.J. - 8.40 - 0.94
    Md. - 8.00 - 1.34
    S.C. - 5.80 - 1.16
    Ariz. - 5.40 - 0.78
    Ind. - 4.80 - 0.76
    Mo. - 4.75 - 0.80
    Okla. - 4.20 - 1.06
    Wash. - 4.20 - 0.58
    Ut. - 4.00 - 1.32
    D.C. - 3.00 - 4.40

Tl Dr:

States with most amount of black people, states with highest black percentage of population.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

Here's a question for you boys: As of today from strictly a recruiting standpoint, would we have been better to have just ripped the band aid off w/ Jimmy Lake leaving to be the DC at Cal, as there can't be any top level DB who thinks Lake will be here after this season?

So this is a great question and one that we started diving into during this pod ... and honestly, I fully expect that we'll be revisiting this question a few times between now and the end of the year.

It's the definition of a LIPO to me because regardless of which side of the argument you fall on, there are great opinions that are completely logical.

On one hand, Jimmy Lake is a fantastic DB coach and a tremendous recruiter. While it seems inevitable that he'll move on at some point given that he has some long term career ambitions, why you'd ever want to move on from him seems really stupid. Assuming he lands a really strong class this year leading into the early Signing Day this argument seems fucktarded.

On the other hand, the evidence is pretty clear so far that we have exactly ZERO DB recruits whereas last year we had 2 in place at this time. Moreover, for many of the top kids on the West Coast, we're not really in the discussion for them ... which is fairly strange when your program just put 3 kids out in the top 45 of the draft and to varying degrees each of the 3 could have very easily been a 1st round pick (Sidney if he didn't tear his Achilles was likely a sure thing, Kevin fell due to DBs being an abundance position in the draft so teams were able to trade back, and Budda was right there in the mid 30's). The longer we look to be in trouble at DB, the more this becomes an issue. As we hypothesized in setting the stage for the 2018 class, one area we expected to struggle was at DB and it is playing out.

Me personally, I probably lean a bit to the argument that we may have been better off for Jimmy to be elsewhere assuming that we miss on most of our 2018 targets. If the class turns out really good, we get them locked by the early Signing Day, and Lake leaves after the fact, it's really hard to complain then.

But unquestionably at this point, we're walking a really tight line on DB recruiting this year. The great news is that while we are breaking in some new players this year the position group on the whole is young and very talented. But if we miss this year, and assuming Lake leaves, it will put pressure on whoever Lake's replacement is (likely Gerald Alexander) to come in and hit the ground running.
    This is some truly doogtastic shit. We are better with Jimmy Lake. This is a made up argument.
    It's far from an easy question ... it's really a gray answer versus an easy black or white

Honestly it will depend on what the DB class looks like this year
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

So this is a great question and one that we started diving into during this pod ... and honestly, I fully expect that we'll be revisiting this question a few times between now and the end of the year.

It's the definition of a LIPO to me because regardless of which side of the argument you fall on, there are great opinions that are completely logical.

On one hand, Jimmy Lake is a fantastic DB coach and a tremendous recruiter. While it seems inevitable that he'll move on at some point given that he has some long term career ambitions, why you'd ever want to move on from him seems really stupid. Assuming he lands a really strong class this year leading into the early Signing Day this argument seems fucktarded.

On the other hand, the evidence is pretty clear so far that we have exactly ZERO DB recruits whereas last year we had 2 in place at this time. Moreover, for many of the top kids on the West Coast, we're not really in the discussion for them ... which is fairly strange when your program just put 3 kids out in the top 45 of the draft and to varying degrees each of the 3 could have very easily been a 1st round pick (Sidney if he didn't tear his Achilles was likely a sure thing, Kevin fell due to DBs being an abundance position in the draft so teams were able to trade back, and Budda was right there in the mid 30's). The longer we look to be in trouble at DB, the more this becomes an issue. As we hypothesized in setting the stage for the 2018 class, one area we expected to struggle was at DB and it is playing out.

Me personally, I probably lean a bit to the argument that we may have been better off for Jimmy to be elsewhere assuming that we miss on most of our 2018 targets. If the class turns out really good, we get them locked by the early Signing Day, and Lake leaves after the fact, it's really hard to complain then.

But unquestionably at this point, we're walking a really tight line on DB recruiting this year. The great news is that while we are breaking in some new players this year the position group on the whole is young and very talented. But if we miss this year, and assuming Lake leaves, it will put pressure on whoever Lake's replacement is (likely Gerald Alexander) to come in and hit the ground running.
    This is some truly doogtastic shit. We are better with Jimmy Lake. This is a made up argument.
    Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm sure you are correct on this. We're better with Lake than without Lake in a vacuum anyway. But this is a year with a very good in state corner which helps if the recruiting really is an issue.

And beyond that, Lake is a fucking monster as a coach. And this is arguably the most important year for our DB coach in decades. We have a great team coming back with experience basically everywhere except for CB. These young corners have talent but are unproven. I'd much rather have Lake to walk them through their transition into being on the field when it matters (and making some inevitable mistakes) than any other DB coach in college football. He'll coach them up, and if he was to leave this offseason the new DB coach will inherit tons of talent and plenty of experience on top of that.

If he had left last offseason I would be a lot less optimistic for 2018.
    All very good points ...

Gordon is basically UW vs Stanford ... which would be true with or without Lake IMO
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,299
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

It's far from an easy question ... it's really a gray answer versus an easy black or white

All this speculation would be interesting if we actually had roster spots in the secondary to fill beyond Ezekiel Turner.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

St. - 4+/yr - 4+/mil
    Tex. - 57.80 - 2.10
    Calif. - 47.20 - 1.20
    Fla. - 43.40 - 2.08
    Ga. - 31.40 - 3.04
    Oh. - 21.40 - 1.82
    La. - 15.40 - 3.28
    Va. - 12.60 - 1.50
    Ala. - 12.00 - 2.50
    N.C. - 9.80 - 0.98
    Mich. - 9.60 - 0.96
    Penn. - 9.40 - 0.74
    Ill. - 8.80 - 0.66
    Miss. - 8.60 - 2.88
    Tenn. - 8.60 - 1.32
    N.J. - 8.40 - 0.94
    Md. - 8.00 - 1.34
    S.C. - 5.80 - 1.16
    Ariz. - 5.40 - 0.78
    Ind. - 4.80 - 0.76
    Mo. - 4.75 - 0.80
    Okla. - 4.20 - 1.06
    Wash. - 4.20 - 0.58
    Ut. - 4.00 - 1.32
    D.C. - 3.00 - 4.40

Pretty sure iDawg still has his gridiron stats site that is gathering cobwebs
    What's an iDawg?
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

AZDuck said:

so, did I get a fucking shout out or what?

NO
    maybe next time, then
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

Disagree
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

Disagree
    So if we get an underwhelming DB class and Lake leaves after the season, you don't have any issues with the down stream implications?

Or put a different way, you see the short term upside to Lake as being more valuable than the long-term holes in the secondary?