Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Bowman is not bad, but he has some limitations. But he is the best we got so we had to play him. He probably would have been a better DT
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Hot chicks can be found anywhere and everywhere. I love me some cowgirls with a little meat on them and there are a fair bunch of them where I live.

When I'm in Seattle

dnc said:

I think Tryon is the complete opposite comp. Tryon was a physical late bloomer who nobody wanted because he didn't emerge athletically until his senior year but was still completely raw.

Smalls was a physical man child who the sole world wanted by halfway through his sophomore year and probably coasted a bit thanks to being coddled and having everything come too easy for him for awhile.

I think Smalls will take a year before he dominates to rediscover his work ethic and adjust to playing at a level where he isn't the best player just by showing up. But he isn't going to have to grow into his body or learn to play football like Tryon did after getting here.

He'll make an impact quite a bit sooner than Tryon did IMO.

Agree. I'm not sure his ceiling is higher though. Tryon is taller, heavier, longer limbed, and probably similar as far as athletic measurables. Hes a freak prospect.
    Whoops.
    Haha. No idea wtf that first part was about. This thread has had some twists and turns though.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Bowman is not bad, but he has some limitations. But he is the best we got so we had to play him. He probably would have been a better DT

I wish we would go back to lining up like we did in 2014 at times. Two big DT’s, a guy like Bowman or Latu at DE In the Andrew Hudson role and Tryon/Smalls in the Kikaha role. Latu would be much better served in a role like that than standing up a few yards off the LOS. He could get to 290 easily. If he was a NFL player getting ready for the draft, he would be a 3-4 DE or the run stopping DE in a 4-3.

Against air raid teams, Latu and Bowman can even play inside since most of those teams don’t run the ball much.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,996
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

I think Tryon is the complete opposite comp. Tryon was a physical late bloomer who nobody wanted because he didn't emerge athletically until his senior year but was still completely raw.

Smalls was a physical man child who the sole world wanted by halfway through his sophomore year and probably coasted a bit thanks to being coddled and having everything come too easy for him for awhile.

I think Smalls will take a year before he dominates to rediscover his work ethic and adjust to playing at a level where he isn't the best player just by showing up. But he isn't going to have to grow into his body or learn to play football like Tryon did after getting here.

I don’t think Tryon was that much more raw coming into UW. I think the athleticism was always there, he just played for a terrible high school program and was largely ignored because of that.

Smalls is far from a finished product. His high school career basically stalling out after his sophomore year wasn’t because he developed early, but more because he was ranked high, got really caught up in the hoopla. He also had shitty coaching as Tryon did too.

I agree Smalls will make an impact before Tryon. It took Tryon until late in his redshirt freshman year to do anything. Smalls won’t redshirt, but I doubt he plays that much with Tryon, Bowman, Latu, and possibly Trice in front of him. I hope he flashes this year, but I won’t count on it. I will count on him his soohomore year.

Some pretend like Bowman sucks because he’s white, short, and was a walk-on, but he’s a solid player that was All Pac 12 2nd team this year. He might even be better than solid. He was 2nd on the team in tackles for loss and 2nd in sacks behind Tryon. He also forced 3 fumbles. Tryon and Bowman are getting the majority of the snaps outside and Latu should have a larger role in year two as well.
    Bowman is going to be 2020's guy that turns out really good but people pretend is terrible
    I am the king of this game.
    Buddy... you’re now king of sleepless nights, chapped nips and the occasional pity reach around.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

A side note about Bowman is that he’s played well against good teams. Played well in the conference title game last year and was our lineman of the game. Sack in the Rose Bowl. Tackle for loss and a fumble recovery against Penn State.

So that should kill the bullshit we say about overachievers (it won’t tho) that they don’t play well against good competition because in our toughest games Bowman has performed.

Yeah, if you get him the right match up he has produced very well
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

dnc said:

I don’t think Tryon was that much more raw coming into UW. I think the athleticism was always there, he just played for a terrible high school program and was largely ignored because of that.

Smalls is far from a finished product. His high school career basically stalling out after his sophomore year wasn’t because he developed early, but more because he was ranked high, got really caught up in the hoopla. He also had shitty coaching as Tryon did too.

I agree Smalls will make an impact before Tryon. It took Tryon until late in his redshirt freshman year to do anything. Smalls won’t redshirt, but I doubt he plays that much with Tryon, Bowman, Latu, and possibly Trice in front of him. I hope he flashes this year, but I won’t count on it. I will count on him his soohomore year.

Some pretend like Bowman sucks because he’s white, short, and was a walk-on, but he’s a solid player that was All Pac 12 2nd team this year. He might even be better than solid. He was 2nd on the team in tackles for loss and 2nd in sacks behind Tryon. He also forced 3 fumbles. Tryon and Bowman are getting the majority of the snaps outside and Latu should have a larger role in year two as well.
    Bowman is going to be 2020's guy that turns out really good but people pretend is terrible
    Buddy... you’re now king of sleepless nights, chapped nips and the occasional pity reach around.
    @dnc true?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

@dnc true?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    NTD, BB
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    No mention of Smalls at the Under Armour practices. Are the ranking the players again for a final one?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

No mention of Smalls at the Under Armour practices. Are the ranking the players again for a final one?

Ask @dnc
  • Options

I would guess yes
  • Options
    Confirmed: There will be another rankings update.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Confirmed: There will be another rankings update.

All right we get it. Turn it down a notch and stop being so mean
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, Biggins said they do one after the all america games. I think he said Garbers, Murao, and Redman will likely see the biggest rise. He also said he likes Smalls where hes at but I bet he goes down to a 4 star