Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,740 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I think Smalls has been talked up a bit too much by certain Twitter pros. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it into 4 games in 2020. The base is there though, if he works hard he could be special

Yep, Smalls is going to be the victim of the same thing McDaniels has been victimized by - outsized expectations due to being overhyped.

In Smalls' case he'll be around long enough to live up to those expectations, if belatedly.

In McDaniels' case I wouldn't be surprised if he's disliked by most of the fanbase when he goes pro.

People don't realize they are doing these kids a disservice when they build these massive expectations.
    So you’re telling me that customized twitter videos sent to teenagers is not a good idea?
  • DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    I love how every year we talk about how we have these 4 stars in our class that should be 5 stars and we try and convince everyone and then we get our first 5 star since Shaq fucking Thompson and people are really out here trying to make a case that he isn't a 5 star hahahah
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

I love how every year we talk about how we have these 4 stars in our class that should be 5 stars and we try and convince everyone and then we get our first 5 star since Shaq fucking Thompson and people are really out here trying to make a case that he isn't a 5 star hahahah

He is not likely an impact guy initially. So what? He is still gong to be a great player if he puts in the time. There are people out there that our offended if you don’t think Smalls is going to have a major impact as a true freshman.

Not all 5 stars make an immediate impact.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Because he’s not?
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,444 Standard Supporter

"DE/LB Sav’Ell Smalls really underwhelmed this week. He wasn’t as athletic as advertised and he was dwarfed by many other defensive ends. He had a solid game and is an active player but is he a five-star?"
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,740 Swaye's Wigwam

dtd said:

"DE/LB Sav’Ell Smalls really underwhelmed this week. He wasn’t as athletic as advertised and he was dwarfed by many other defensive ends. He had a solid game and is an active player but is he a five-star?"
    The lack of athleticism is concerning. If he was underwhelming because he was raw or because he had no pass rushing moves, that’s fixable. If he’s a mediocre athlete combined with some prima donna in him, it’s not a good combination.

If he was going anywhere but UW he would be a bust. 5 star, but he’s really a mid level recruit for us. There has been nothing in two years to be especially optimistic about.
    Looks like he needs to hit the weights and he looked visibly gassed.

I think he has some intangibles you can’t teach.

Work ethic? Does he want it bad enough?

Can lake or other coach motivate and coddle him into a Star... dare I say a man.... an nfl prospect.

They obviously feel they can and so LIPO.
  • TheironshiekTheironshiek Member Posts: 167
    It’s tough to judge from these games, the D seems to be at a huge disadvantage vs the O
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,024

It’s tough to judge from these games, the D seems to be at a huge disadvantage vs the O

Yup, which is why the practices are more improtant.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,064
    The game grades from bleacher report gave him a B+, which is what several other 5* guys were graded. The only other pac 12 guys I saw on the list were a Stanford K and that 2nd Oregon qb commit who both got the lowest grades
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

The game grades from bleacher report gave him a B+, which is what several other 5* guys were graded. The only other pac 12 guys I saw on the list were a Stanford K and that 2nd Oregon qb commit who both got the lowest grades

Great news, but
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,064
    dnc said:

Great news, but
    I know, but I couldn't find anything else. FWIW, BR is not the same as it used to be
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Great news, but
    I know, but I couldn't find anything else. FWIW, BR is not the same as it used to be
    Agree, it's moved up to a C site from a D-.

FTR since people like to misread stuff, I still think Smalls is going to be very very good.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    I find all these objective comments to be racist and mean. Show some home town pride guys
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

dtd said:

The lack of athleticism is concerning. If he was underwhelming because he was raw or because he had no pass rushing moves, that’s fixable. If he’s a mediocre athlete combined with some prima donna in him, it’s not a good combination.

If he was going anywhere but UW he would be a bust. 5 star, but he’s really a mid level recruit for us. There has been nothing in two years to be especially optimistic about.
    Looks like he needs to hit the weights and he looked visibly gassed.

I think he has some intangibles you can’t teach.

Work ethic? Does he want it bad enough?

Can lake or other coach motivate and coddle him into a Star... dare I say a man.... an nfl prospect.

They obviously feel they can and so LIPO.
    I thought his size and athleticism were the intangibles that couldn’t be taught. News that he is nothing special in this categories is not good.

These games are meaningless, but I would feel better if he dominated, as would everyone here.