Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sa'Vell Smalls, 6* 2020 BUCK, Seattle (Kennedy), WA (SIGNED)

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He plays like a guy who's been able to dominate all of his competition by just being a better athlete. Versus a lot of kids from talent rich states who've had to learn technique to succeed against more athletic competition
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Do you guys realize how much damage this racist crap will do to the program? It will take at least 2000 tagged videos and retweets to undo the damage

So we caused 15 minutes worth of damage?

DAMN
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

NEsnake12 said:

He plays like a guy who's been able to dominate all of his competition by just being a better athlete. Versus a lot of kids from talent rich states who've had to learn technique to succeed against more athletic competition

This is why it could be good for him. I don’t think the 5 star ranking as a sophomore was good for him development wise. Or having a coach that says, “The disrespect is unreal” because he’s ranked as the 4th best player in the country.
    It's absurd that a coach would say that. What a horrible motivation tool and of course he's going to end up coddled after that.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

NEsnake12 said:

This is why it could be good for him. I don’t think the 5 star ranking as a sophomore was good for him development wise. Or having a coach that says, “The disrespect is unreal” because he’s ranked as the 4th best player in the country.
    It's absurd that a coach would say that. What a horrible motivation tool and of course he's going to end up coddled after that.
    absurd but not unexpected because a high school coach of a player like that will either be the kid's leader or will waterski behind the kid's reputation for his own personal gain in a lot of cases. His coach acted like Savvy's best choice as agent but actually probably held him back from reaching his potential.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

He’s probably going to be good because he has the talent, but nobody seems to ever be overly impressed with his play. The camp at PLU was the same thing. He didn’t really stand out.

I think Tryon is a pretty good comparison for Smalls, and I would be happy with that. It’s going to take some time, but with good coaching, he will improve and eventually be good.

Getting worked in the Under Armour camp and when he gets to UW could be good for him. I do think he’s lived off the hype a bit too much and not been as focused as he should be at being the best player possible.
    This is a good comparison, however I think Smalls' development ends up being a bit quicker than Tryon's, and I think Smalls has a slightly higher ceiling. I predict Smalls' career to go something like:

Freshman - Mostly spot playing time, 1-3 sacks and a handful of tackles (not too dissimilar from what we got from Latu, but maybe slightly better)
    Sophmore - Makes a big jump in development and fills one of the Tryon/Bowman spots full time, 5-8 sacks with some occasional splash plays, Honorable mention all-Pac 12
    Junior - Takes another step forward and is all-Pac 12 1st team with 10+ sacks and leaves early for the NFL
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

He’s probably going to be good because he has the talent, but nobody seems to ever be overly impressed with his play. The camp at PLU was the same thing. He didn’t really stand out.

I think Tryon is a pretty good comparison for Smalls, and I would be happy with that. It’s going to take some time, but with good coaching, he will improve and eventually be good.

Getting worked in the Under Armour camp and when he gets to UW could be good for him. I do think he’s lived off the hype a bit too much and not been as focused as he should be at being the best player possible.
    This is a good comparison, however I think Smalls' development ends up being a bit quicker than Tryon's, and I think Smalls has a slightly higher ceiling. I predict Smalls' career to go something like:

Freshman - Mostly spot playing time, 1-3 sacks and a handful of tackles (not too dissimilar from what we got from Latu, but maybe slightly better)
    Sophmore - Makes a big jump in development and fills one of the Tryon/Bowman spots full time, 5-8 sacks with some occasional splash plays, Honorable mention all-Pac 12
    Junior - Takes another step forward and is all-Pac 12 1st team with 10+ sacks and leaves early for the NFL
    That’s kind of how I feel. I think once the light comes on he will be good, but he’s not at that point yet. Glad we got him and he’s definitely the best DE/OLB prospect we have had sign with us. He will be big enough to be stout against run and explosive enough to be a great pass rusher.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Look at his feet, tho. He has the athleticism and his body and feet work in sync. Tryon didn’t look like this in HS or even his freshman year.

Savvy just needs some Kwat/Malloe coaching.

He’ll be Josh Shirley his frosh year and a terror the rest.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,706
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hot chicks can be found anywhere and everywhere. I love me some cowgirls with a little meat on them and there are a fair bunch of them where I live.

When I'm in Seattle
    dnc said:

I think Tryon is the complete opposite comp. Tryon was a physical late bloomer who nobody wanted because he didn't emerge athletically until his senior year but was still completely raw.

Smalls was a physical man child who the sole world wanted by halfway through his sophomore year and probably coasted a bit thanks to being coddled and having everything come too easy for him for awhile.

I think Smalls will take a year before he dominates to rediscover his work ethic and adjust to playing at a level where he isn't the best player just by showing up. But he isn't going to have to grow into his body or learn to play football like Tryon did after getting here.

He'll make an impact quite a bit sooner than Tryon did IMO.

Agree. I'm not sure his ceiling is higher though. Tryon is taller, heavier, longer limbed, and probably similar as far as athletic measurables. Hes a freak prospect.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    I think we're all saying kind of the same thing. Smalls has some work to do, but the tools are there and he's going to get great coaching.

For a late bloomer, Tryon made 2nd team all Pac-12 in his rs-So year, and is probably a good candidate to go pro and be a day 2 pick after next season.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,757
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Hot chicks can be found anywhere and everywhere. I love me some cowgirls with a little meat on them and there are a fair bunch of them where I live.

When I'm in Seattle

dnc said:

I think Tryon is the complete opposite comp. Tryon was a physical late bloomer who nobody wanted because he didn't emerge athletically until his senior year but was still completely raw.

Smalls was a physical man child who the sole world wanted by halfway through his sophomore year and probably coasted a bit thanks to being coddled and having everything come too easy for him for awhile.

I think Smalls will take a year before he dominates to rediscover his work ethic and adjust to playing at a level where he isn't the best player just by showing up. But he isn't going to have to grow into his body or learn to play football like Tryon did after getting here.

Agree. I'm not sure his ceiling is higher though. Tryon is taller, heavier, longer limbed, and probably similar as far as athletic measurables. Hes a freak prospect.
    Whoops.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

dnc said:

I don’t think Tryon was that much more raw coming into UW. I think the athleticism was always there, he just played for a terrible high school program and was largely ignored because of that.

Smalls is far from a finished product. His high school career basically stalling out after his sophomore year wasn’t because he developed early, but more because he was ranked high, got really caught up in the hoopla. He also had shitty coaching as Tryon did too.

I agree Smalls will make an impact before Tryon. It took Tryon until late in his redshirt freshman year to do anything. Smalls won’t redshirt, but I doubt he plays that much with Tryon, Bowman, Latu, and possibly Trice in front of him. I hope he flashes this year, but I won’t count on it. I will count on him his soohomore year.

Some pretend like Bowman sucks because he’s white, short, and was a walk-on, but he’s a solid player that was All Pac 12 2nd team this year. He might even be better than solid. He was 2nd on the team in tackles for loss and 2nd in sacks behind Tryon. He also forced 3 fumbles. Tryon and Bowman are getting the majority of the snaps outside and Latu should have a larger role in year two as well.
    Bowman is going to be 2020's guy that turns out really good but people pretend is terrible
    I am the king of this game.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Bowman is a solid player. He's the ideal 20-25 snaps a game give it full effort. Since we've got better depth coming in we don't need him trying to carry the majority of the load.