Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Julius Irvin, 4* 2018 DB, Anaheim (Servite), CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Unless you want to live in Chicago there is zero reason for Irvin to attend ND.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    pat_hm said:

Not everyone wants to live in Seattle for the rest of their lives. I’m from up there and have been down in LA since 2009..it’s a great place to live dispite what the sentiment in the Northwest is about the region. As a few people have mentioned there are plenty of advantages as a USC alumni in Southern California. Just like for UW grads in Seattle. There’s no denying the track record of the past 5 years of UW’s w/ DBs in the NFL however USC offers a lot as well. Incredibly strong network in this region. I’m sure that’s why his father is pushing for USC; the opportunities post career are immense.

About as many as UCLA, And every other D1 university in LA
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Sounds like Saban will be making a west coast swing next week to pick up Irvin, Taylor-Stewart, and Griffin and take them out east for the next 4 years.

It's good to be king.
  • Options
    AF9705AF9705 Member Posts: 181
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    pat_hm said:

Lol, what?

Chicago is two hours from Notre Dame.

And there are a lot of people that would disagree with you that there is no reason to attend ND...

But Irvin isn’t going to ND so it doesn’t matter.

He just visited Bama so if they open the wallet he could end up there but he still looks like he is not leaving the west coast.

He wants USC. If they dig the other two kids at his position then he is all UW’s.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 757
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    With Saban in home, Dr. J is headed to Tuscaloosa.
  • Options
    AF9705 said:

pat_hm said:

Lol, what?

And there are a lot of people that would disagree with you that there is no reason to attend ND...

He just visited Bama so if they open the wallet he could end up there but he still looks like he is not leaving the west coast.

He wants USC. If they dig the other two kids at his position then he is all UW’s.
    In terms of concentration of graduates you're going to find more ND alumni in Chicago than Seattle or LA. I have a number of friends who attended ND and found jobs in Chicago due to alumni networks. It would be same with Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. Not sure where the lol is coming from...I'm not saying a ND degree is worthless on the west coast; I just think it carries more clout in the midwest. I'm aware that South Bend is two hours from Chicago; with that said no one says there, Chicago is closest major metropolis hence the migration to Chicago. That is the difference between UW/USC, a majority of said graduates end up settling in Seattle/LA.

This is all a mute point now that it sounds like it's a battle between USC/UW/Bama.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    edited January 2018

Sounds like Saban will be making a west coast swing next week to pick up Irvin, Taylor-Stewart, and Griffin and take them out east for the next 4 years.

It's good to be king.

Fucking Pac-12 pussy programs with your bullshit tv network and bullshit neutral site championship game. Special fuck you to Mark Helfrich for not recruiting Tua.

We should get USC's sloppy seconds not waiting until after USC, Bama, FSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc run train on the entire West coast.
  • Options

pat_hm said:

Not everyone wants to live in Seattle for the rest of their lives. I’m from up there and have been down in LA since 2009..it’s a great place to live dispite what the sentiment in the Northwest is about the region. As a few people have mentioned there are plenty of advantages as a USC alumni in Southern California. Just like for UW grads in Seattle. There’s no denying the track record of the past 5 years of UW’s w/ DBs in the NFL however USC offers a lot as well. Incredibly strong network in this region. I’m sure that’s why his father is pushing for USC; the opportunities post career are immense.

I'd say UCLA and USC are comparable. However the LMU's, Cal State Schools (Northridge, Riverside etc), LBSU's, Pepperdines etc don't hold as much clout as USC/UCLA. It's all networking. There's a reason that the Mater Dei's, Campbell Hall's, of the world funnel kids to USC..it's the same reason kids go there for film/music. They've got a ton of money and strong alumni networks.

Let's just say I can see why kids buy into USC..they offer a lot.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2018
    BaldwinIV said:

pat_hm said:

nah USC owns LA, their alumni take care of each other. same shit with UW and seattle. UCLA is the most emotionless, apathetic alumni group you'll ever find
    Agree. The business mba network isn't bad though. Outside of that? Pretty much non-existent.

USC is much more like UW with the cult like following.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It’s because USC feeds into the Hollywood ecosystem and all the UCLA brainiacs go up to Silicon Valley.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    AF9705 said:

pat_hm said:

AF9705 said:

pat_hm said:

Lol, what?

In terms of concentration of graduates you're going to find more ND alumni in Chicago than Seattle or LA. I have a number of friends who attended ND and found jobs in Chicago due to alumni networks. It would be same with Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. Not sure where the lol is coming from...I'm not saying a ND degree is worthless on the west coast; I just think it carries more clout in the midwest. I'm aware that South Bend is two hours from Chicago; with that said no one says there, Chicago is closest major metropolis hence the migration to Chicago. That is the difference between UW/USC, a majority of said graduates end up settling in Seattle/LA.

This is all a mute point now that it sounds like it's a battle between USC/UW/Bama.
    ND only had around 120,000 living alumni, which is about 5 years worth at large universities. So you have to look at percentages with ND not numbers.
    Obviously a lot of midwestern kids end up at ND so the Midwest will have the largest percentage. But according to the ND alumni association it’s not as many as you would think.
    About 35% live in the Midwest.
    About 25% live in the Northeast.
    About 15% live on west coast.
    About 10% in the southeast.
    About 5% southwest.
    About 5% overseas.
    About 5% other/unknown.

But we are talking about football players, not normal student, in which most end up back working where they are from if not in NFL.
    A ND degree opens doors everywhere, not just Chicago or Midwest.

Either way it doesn’t matter because Irvin is not going to ND.

What I’m hearing is USC is going the “hey, what’s up? What you doing this weekend? Keep Saturday open, I might be available to go out,” route.
    UW is going the “hey baby, I need you now, I love you, please come over,” route.

It’s going to be interesting to see how it ends up.
    I love begging.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    AF9705 said:

pat_hm said:

AF9705 said:

pat_hm said:

Lol, what?

ND only had around 120,000 living alumni, which is about 5 years worth at large universities. So you have to look at percentages with ND not numbers.
    Obviously a lot of midwestern kids end up at ND so the Midwest will have the largest percentage. But according to the ND alumni association it’s not as many as you would think.
    About 35% live in the Midwest.
    About 25% live in the Northeast.
    About 15% live on west coast.
    About 10% in the southeast.
    About 5% southwest.
    About 5% overseas.
    About 5% other/unknown.

But we are talking about football players, not normal student, in which most end up back working where they are from if not in NFL.
    A ND degree opens doors everywhere, not just Chicago or Midwest.

Either way it doesn’t matter because Irvin is not going to ND.

What I’m hearing is USC is going the “hey, what’s up? What you doing this weekend? Keep Saturday open, I might be available to go out,” route.
    UW is going the “hey baby, I need you now, I love you, please come over,” route.

It’s going to be interesting to see how it ends up.
    Your stats basically confirm that the major city/metro area in the US with the largest concentration of ND alums is Chicago.
  • Options
    MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment

It's good to be king.

I read this as Satan will be making a west coast swing.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Confucius said:

AF9705 said:

Been out of it for a while, but can update the following...
    ND is out of it. He was set to sign early with them but now they are fourth & moved on.
    UW jumped back into it. The family wants him on West Coast, & they are still fighting with USC.
    Bama is interesting because they want him & he is interested, but I just don’t see him leaving the West Coast without some typical Bama shannanigans.
    I still think if USC wants him & sweet talks him he ends up there. Then a tie between UW & Bama.

Confucius say woe onto Notre Dame's dilapidation. Donors make monuments more splendid than the actual dormitories and facilities, and counted the old men of their descent dearer than the names of their current players. Tired, broken coaches sit in aged halls musing on recruiting or in high-called towers asking questions of the priests.
    STAY
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Confucius said:

AF9705 said:

Been out of it for a while, but can update the following...
    ND is out of it. He was set to sign early with them but now they are fourth & moved on.
    UW jumped back into it. The family wants him on West Coast, & they are still fighting with USC.
    Bama is interesting because they want him & he is interested, but I just don’t see him leaving the West Coast without some typical Bama shannanigans.
    I still think if USC wants him & sweet talks him he ends up there. Then a tie between UW & Bama.

Confucius say woe onto Notre Dame's dilapidation. Donors make monuments more splendid than the actual dormitories and facilities, and counted the old men of their descent dearer than the names of their current players. Tired, broken coaches sit in aged halls musing on recruiting or in high-called towers asking questions of the priests.
    Only thing missing was Haiku format.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    This thread has gone horribly awry
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,100
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If by chance and all likelihood he doesn't pick UW, I hope he loses the receipt for the hat on the table.