Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which Husky game made you a fan for life?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,549
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited April 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
I already had strong interest by age 7, but at age 9 when the Huskies played USC on Nov 17,1979, was epic for me. Huskies lost 24-17, after having first and goal at the USC 2 yard line. Trojans won the Rose Bowl bid. But I was a fanatic at that point.

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,169
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The Rose Bowl game where Jaques Robinson went wild got me interested but not hooked. The Orange Bowl against Oklahoma I think really did the trick for me.
  • Options
    Founders Club

The Rose Bowl game where Jaques Robinson went wild got me interested but not hooked. The Orange Bowl against Oklahoma I think really did the trick for me.

Jacque ran wild in that game too
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Naturally gravitated to watching UW when I was young because they won. The game that cemented it for me was my first time going to Husky Stadium when Dillon broke all sorts of records in the first quarter against SJSU. I was hooked at that point. The stadium was incredible to 11 year old CokeGreaterThanPepsi.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2015
    There was a game - tape delayed and aired on Sunday a fter a Seahawks game - in 1979 versus UCLA.

That was the game that captured me .... I was 9.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd say I first became interested in Ricks first year. They lost to BYU. Tui overthrew a ball out of the end zone on the last play of the game. I remember Rick ran onto the field and grabbed Tui and it was obvious he was telling him something like keep your head up or some inspirational shit. And I just thought that's the kind of coach I want to root for.

Then the Rose Bowl team the next year was impossible not to fall in love with.

But I'd say what cemented it was the next years first game against Michigan. Reggie Williams first game. A blocked FG returned for a touchdown and an Omare Lowe pick 6. I remember screaming as loud as I could and I could not hear myself at all. The stadium was crazy. Unfortunately I was hooked after that.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First game Nebraska 1990, second OSU when Nip ran for 217 with 278 all purpose yards
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,704
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Home against the Ducks in 1990. I was a casual UW fan to that point but had no loyalty. I caught on to the excitement a bit after hearing about the destruction of SC (friends were at the game), then lucked into crazy good student section tickets for the Oregon game. It was my first CFB live game and I was hooked. I actually got the kick in the ass I needed to jump start my post high school life that day. Probably be pumping gas like a Duck (ROTFLMAO!!) right now without that experience.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    84 orange bowl. Listening to the radio broadcast from a bus.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2000 Miami game
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,965
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2015
    I remember watching the '85 Orange Bowl and not knowing what was going on or even understanding football, but my brothers and dad were into it. I believe my oldest brother had transferred from Whitman to UW at that point to get away from Fleenor and Fatters.

The '86 THE Ohio St gayme really got me though. That was a good 10-3 OSU team with Spielman and Cris Carter too. On paper they probably had equal or even greater talent, and the Dawgs destroyed them in the cold September rain (don't miss that).

Chris Chandler had a really good debut. I always thought he was underrated and was overshadowed by Billy Joe Camaro, Brunell, Brock Huard, and Tui. He led the fucking FALCONS to a Super Bowl.
  • Options
    Founders Club

1925 Rose Bowl against Bama

*That was actually the 1926 Rose Bowl game.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

the 1994 Oregon game

You mean like the 1994 Oregon game? ;)
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    '81. USC. Windstorm. Fred Small.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Oregon State game of 2013. Watching Coach Sark lead the boys in one of his famous "blowouts" confirmed that he was the next Don't James
  • Options
    seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The apple cup to get to Jacque's rose bowl and then the rose bowl were pretty amazing for a five year old. But it was the bowl game against florida when the dawgs made emmit smith quit that made the huskies my #1 and the seahawks #2
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,500
    The National Championship Game in 2016 when we beat Oregon for the 2nd time in a season.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,959
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I was already a 'fan' because we had picked Huskies vs Cougars on the playground in 1st grade. But it was cemented at my first home game in 1986 vs UCLA. I was 8 years old, it was hotter than shit. My parents made hats out of newspaper to block the sun. Rick Fenny, Chris Chandler and Lonzel Hill did the rest.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,774
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1996 Holiday Bowl. Because Corey Dillon is that much of a badass, despite the mediocre coaches, and because it was badass to get beat by a coach and then hire him away. If UW was serious about football they would have offered Chip a million young asian men plus whatever Phil was paying him to turn this shit show around.