Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which Husky game made you a fan for life?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't say there was a single game that got me hooked. I've been a huge fan since I was 5 or 6. The first players I remember caring about where Napolean Kaufman, Richard Thomas, Bob Sapp, and Ritchie Chambers. I really hated Scott Greenlaw.

The first game I vividly remember was a 21-21 tie against USC when they had Keyshawn Johnson. I had been to games before, but that one sticks with me for some reason.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Probably the Michigan Rose Bowl when Empterman dominated. It's the earliest game I can remember where I was aware of who the Huskies were, before that they were just the purple team or the "the good guys".
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,219
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    That one where the dawgs beat the Coogs.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

I am 32 years old and I don't have a recollection of UW ever being very good. There was 2000, but I watched the Ducks beat the Huskies that year at Autzen. Same as it ever was.

I was at "The Pick." It was cool, but I was still really young and didn't realize how important that Rose Bowl trip was.

What did it for me was Husky Stadium in 1997. What a bunch of smug asshole fans UW had back in those days. It was three 14 year old kids and one of our mom's. The shit that grown ass men said to us was ridiculous. Now having spent a lot of time on message boards with the people who would have made up that caring fan base in those days I totally get it.

Anyway, UW had those $75k purple helmets and yellow pants. So, so many empty seats. Just a complete shit show in contrast to the mighty Husky football program we were all supposed to witness. Akili floats that pass up, Pat catches it, and what little pride Husky fans had left was gone. UW has maybe beaten Oregon three times since then.

That is what did it for me. UW turned into absolute shit and still completely is while Oregon is one of the elite programs in the country. Sure, Don James quitting started the bleeding but to actually be there when Husky football died was something truly special.

I went back in 2007 and most Husky fans wouldn't even look me in the eye. Many were complimentary of Oregon. Empathy and battered wife syndrome had set in. Fast forward to last season with UW's new "gem" of a coach with his All-American littered defense that would turn the tide. Oregon has to start coasting early in the 3rd quarter as their 19 year old running back was starting to run up the score on his own. Same as it ever was.

Short version:

I'm a fucking cunt who's entire life revolves around a runner up team of 20 year olds.

Says the guy on an internet message board that revolves around a group or 20 year olds that would suck a mile of dick to be relevant by November.

You're in over your head.

• Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

I am 32 years old and I don't have a recollection of UW ever being very good. There was 2000, but I watched the Ducks beat the Huskies that year at Autzen. Same as it ever was.

I was at "The Pick." It was cool, but I was still really young and didn't realize how important that Rose Bowl trip was.

What did it for me was Husky Stadium in 1997. What a bunch of smug asshole fans UW had back in those days. It was three 14 year old kids and one of our mom's. The shit that grown ass men said to us was ridiculous. Now having spent a lot of time on message boards with the people who would have made up that caring fan base in those days I totally get it.

Anyway, UW had those $75k purple helmets and yellow pants. So, so many empty seats. Just a complete shit show in contrast to the mighty Husky football program we were all supposed to witness. Akili floats that pass up, Pat catches it, and what little pride Husky fans had left was gone. UW has maybe beaten Oregon three times since then.

That is what did it for me. UW turned into absolute shit and still completely is while Oregon is one of the elite programs in the country. Sure, Don James quitting started the bleeding but to actually be there when Husky football died was something truly special.

I went back in 2007 and most Husky fans wouldn't even look me in the eye. Many were complimentary of Oregon. Empathy and battered wife syndrome had set in. Fast forward to last season with UW's new "gem" of a coach with his All-American littered defense that would turn the tide. Oregon has to start coasting early in the 3rd quarter as their 19 year old running back was starting to run up the score on his own. Same as it ever was.

Short version:

I'm a fucking cunt who's entire life revolves around a runner up team of 20 year olds.

Says the guy on an internet message board that revolves around a group or 20 year olds that would suck a mile of dick to be relevant by November.

Wrong again.

I am not "in," on any message board, and November is important to me for things other than watching boys run around in colorful unis.

Carry on, faggot. I don't want or need to compete with your internet boy prowess.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

Short version:

Wrong again.

I am not "in," on any message board, and November is important to me for things other than watching boys run around in colorful unis.

Carry on, faggot. I don't want or need to compete with your internet boy prowess.
    dis-a-fucking-gree
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

Short version:

Wrong again.

dis-a-fucking-gree
    With?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    college football is important. winning in November is important. If you disagree then fuck you
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,296
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    The last 11 years
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember watching the '85 Orange Bowl and kind of understanding even at 7 years old how important that was.

First game I went to was in '88 vs. Cal. Cary Conklin led a huge comeback. I think UW was behind 27-3 early in the 3rd quarter. Ended up winning 28-27 on a game winning FG as time expired.

Then the 1990 SC game. I was hooked after seeing the D play like that.

Seems like 25 years ago.

Wait....
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

CaptainPJ said:

Mosster47 said:

Short version:

Wrong again.

dis-a-fucking-gree
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PurpleJ said:

2000 Miami game

This and the '99 Stanford game.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Not a single game for me either. I remember Sixkiller, Jim Owens... I remember the bookstore selling 6 purple jerseys. The mid 70s Rose Bowl was huge for football here. Remember no fuckin NFL then, no 12s. The 2000 season was huge, esp the Miami game. I've never seen anything quite as nuts as that.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,362
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I'd say I first became interested in Ricks first year. They lost to BYU. Tui overthrew a ball out of the end zone on the last play of the game. I remember Rick ran onto the field and grabbed Tui and it was obvious he was telling him something like keep your head up or some inspirational shit. And I just thought that's the kind of coach I want to root for.

Then the Rose Bowl team the next year was impossible not to fall in love with.

But I'd say what cemented it was the next years first game against Michigan. Reggie Williams first game. A blocked FG returned for a touchdown and an Omare Lowe pick 6. I remember screaming as loud as I could and I could not hear myself at all. The stadium was crazy. Unfortunately I was hooked after that.

That Michigan game gets overlooked but that was an awesome game to be at.

For me the Colorado and Oregon games in 99, followed of course by the 2000 Miami game and subsequent season, and then that Michigan game plus home wins over Stanford and WSU, (both ranked top 10 at the time) was what got me on board for life.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    1984 Oregon game.

As a bonus, the 2008 Oregon game made me a fan of #Owen12 for life.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,420
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    My first Husky game I attended, with my uncle. We've had trouble pinpointing exactly what game it was, but I remember it was a Husky Fever game, pretty sure it was versus Oregon State in '87; I was seven years old. We walked across campus, checked out some of the buildings my uncle had classes in, and I remember my ears rang for days after that game. And with an Everett boy, Chris Chandler, @ QB?... I was hooked.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'd say I first became interested in Ricks first year. They lost to BYU. Tui overthrew a ball out of the end zone on the last play of the game. I remember Rick ran onto the field and grabbed Tui and it was obvious he was telling him something like keep your head up or some inspirational shit. And I just thought that's the kind of coach I want to root for.

Then the Rose Bowl team the next year was impossible not to fall in love with.

But I'd say what cemented it was the next years first game against Michigan. Reggie Williams first game. A blocked FG returned for a touchdown and an Omare Lowe pick 6. I remember screaming as loud as I could and I could not hear myself at all. The stadium was crazy. Unfortunately I was hooked after that.

Mine was the Michigan game after that.