Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which Husky game made you a fan for life?

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The most excited I remember being before a game was when Swaye's cousin's faced off on the ABC game of the week in a (real) injun death match.

(it was kinda a big deal to be on TV back then)

• Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,438
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2015
    haie said:

1996 Holiday Bowl. Because Corey Dillon is that much of a badass, despite the mediocre coaches, and because it was badass to get beat by a coach and then hire him away. If UW was serious about football they would have offered Chip a million young asian men plus whatever Phil was paying him to turn this shit show around.

I had to listen to this game on the radio because of a power outage. I remember Dillon having a monster first quarter. Still recall an interview question from a Colorado defender about Dillon, "in the big 12 we see running backs like him every week". Was the first season where I made it a point to watch each game. That game etched it in stone for me.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I forget the year but when we beat a undefeated coog team and spoiled the rose bowl.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    pawz said:

I was already a 'fan' because we had picked Huskies vs Cougars on the playground in 1st grade. But it was cemented at my first home game in 1986 vs UCLA. I was 8 years old, it was hotter than shit. My parents made hats out of newspaper to block the sun. Rick Fenny, Chris Chandler and Lonzel Hill did the rest.

Seriously? A game that ended in a tie is the one that did it for you?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    "All I saw was purple"

Been a Dawg from birth. Both parents were UW grads. Mom was a cheerleader and dad played basketball and baseball at UW. But that game, on a beautiful Seattle day, my 6th year at UW, having boated to the game on a 54' footer, seeing RoboQB eaten alive, watching the scoreboard to see if we were going to hold mighty USC to negative rushing yards.......forever the standard for UW dominance to me.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,549
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

I was already a 'fan' because we had picked Huskies vs Cougars on the playground in 1st grade. But it was cemented at my first home game in 1986 vs UCLA. I was 8 years old, it was hotter than shit. My parents made hats out of newspaper to block the sun. Rick Fenny, Chris Chandler and Lonzel Hill did the rest.

that game was in the rain and ended in a 17-17 tie
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I am 32 years old and I don't have a recollection of UW ever being very good. There was 2000, but I watched the Ducks beat the Huskies that year at Autzen. Same as it ever was.

I was at "The Pick." It was cool, but I was still really young and didn't realize how important that Rose Bowl trip was.

What did it for me was Husky Stadium in 1997. What a bunch of smug asshole fans UW had back in those days. It was three 14 year old kids and one of our mom's. The shit that grown ass men said to us was ridiculous. Now having spent a lot of time on message boards with the people who would have made up that caring fan base in those days I totally get it.

Anyway, UW had those $75k purple helmets and yellow pants. So, so many empty seats. Just a complete shit show in contrast to the mighty Husky football program we were all supposed to witness. Akili floats that pass up, Pat catches it, and what little pride Husky fans had left was gone. UW has maybe beaten Oregon three times since then.

That is what did it for me. UW turned into absolute shit and still completely is while Oregon is one of the elite programs in the country. Sure, Don James quitting started the bleeding but to actually be there when Husky football died was something truly special.

I went back in 2007 and most Husky fans wouldn't even look me in the eye. Many were complimentary of Oregon. Empathy and battered wife syndrome had set in. Fast forward to last season with UW's new "gem" of a coach with his All-American littered defense that would turn the tide. Oregon has to start coasting early in the 3rd quarter as their 19 year old running back was starting to run up the score on his own. Same as it ever was.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I remember watching the '85 Orange Bowl and not knowing what was going on or even understanding football, but my brothers and dad were into it. I believe my oldest brother had transferred from Whitman to UW at that point to get away from Fleenor and Fatters.

The '86 THE Ohio St gayme really got me though. That was a good 10-3 OSU team with Spielman and Cris Carter too. On paper they probably had equal or even greater talent, and the Dawgs destroyed them in the cold September rain (don't miss that).

Chris Chandler had a really good debut. I always thought he was underrated and was overshadowed by Billy Joe Camaro, Brunell, Brock Huard, and Tui. He led the fucking FALCONS to a Super Bowl.

That was first Husky game I went to (I think). I was 11 and remember more the cold and the peanuts politicians were giving out in front of the stadium. I started playing football as the late 80s/early 90s teams were kicking ass, and it was an easy aspiration. Shit I miss that.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

I am 32 years old and I don't have a recollection of UW ever being very good. There was 2000, but I watched the Ducks beat the Huskies that year at Autzen. Same as it ever was.

I was at "The Pick." It was cool, but I was still really young and didn't realize how important that Rose Bowl trip was.

What did it for me was Husky Stadium in 1997. What a bunch of smug asshole fans UW had back in those days. It was three 14 year old kids and one of our mom's. The shit that grown ass men said to us was ridiculous. Now having spent a lot of time on message boards with the people who would have made up that caring fan base in those days I totally get it.

Anyway, UW had those $75k purple helmets and yellow pants. So, so many empty seats. Just a complete shit show in contrast to the mighty Husky football program we were all supposed to witness. Akili floats that pass up, Pat catches it, and what little pride Husky fans had left was gone. UW has maybe beaten Oregon three times since then.

That is what did it for me. UW turned into absolute shit and still completely is while Oregon is one of the elite programs in the country. Sure, Don James quitting started the bleeding but to actually be there when Husky football died was something truly special.

I went back in 2007 and most Husky fans wouldn't even look me in the eye. Many were complimentary of Oregon. Empathy and battered wife syndrome had set in. Fast forward to last season with UW's new "gem" of a coach with his All-American littered defense that would turn the tide. Oregon has to start coasting early in the 3rd quarter as their 19 year old running back was starting to run up the score on his own. Same as it ever was.

tl;dr
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It wasn't really a game for me. It was players. Tom Flick, Paul Skansi, Danny Greene, Michael Jackson... the Jacque Robinson rose bowl was a big help, too.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I only remember the bad times

Im a fan cause my pops worked at the hospital and the doctors gave us free tickets #poorpeopleproblems
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,169
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For me, I became a tOSU fan for life when we beat the fuskies 41-14 in Seattle, Sept 4th, 1969.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,959
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

pawz said:

sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington/1986-schedule.html

Clearly I have the wrong game. I remember most it being hotter than shit in the sun - and the 3 aforementioned players. It had to be OSU or BYU that year then. (probably BYU)
  • Options
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:
    Is it still a money grab if @DerekJohnson doesn't poast it?
    If you can't see that Gladstone is one of my fake accounts, I can't help you.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Clearly I have the wrong game. I remember most it being hotter than shit in the sun - and the 3 aforementioned players. It had to be OSU or BYU that year then. (probably BYU)
    Even though the UCLA game was in November, it was actually sunny.

The tOSU game was raining.

You would remember BYU because they returned the opening kickoff for a td, and the halftime score was UW 42 BYU 7.

The game that was hotter than blazes was All I Saw Was Purple, which I believe is still the latest 90 degree day in Seattle history.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I took that 1986 loss to ASU about as hard as any loss ever.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2015

pawz said:

pawz said:

Even though the UCLA game was in November, it was actually sunny.

The tOSU game was raining.

You would remember BYU because they returned the opening kickoff for a td, and the halftime score was UW 42 BYU 7.

The game that was hotter than blazes was All I Saw Was Purple, which I believe is still the latest 90 degree day in Seattle history.
    Perhaps it was hot.....I was a bit "desensitized"......bloody marys on the boat and Wild Turkey in the stadium.......but best UW game I've ever personally witnessed. I was a student sitting in the best seats in the house. I really feel sorry for those of you who have come through the UW later. Shitty teams and lately, shitty seats. As much as old farts are not interesting, trust me when I say, that game was epic.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I was hooked on huskeye football after we destroyed the Fraudagain Ducks.