Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deboer rumor, Deion & other notes

Comments

• Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,013
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Canadawg said:

current president loves football

The current president will do what it takes to keep DeBoer. Learned it in Cuba.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,462
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

doogville said:

If DeBoner leaves, just hire Grubb.

Lambright
    Gilby
    Lake

We should only hire those with head coaching experience
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There may be a nice timing if grubb leaves for 2 or 3 years and coaches a Big 12 team until Deboer gets the blue blood offer.

I think the list of teams he could leave for consists of Ohio State, SC, Michigan then a steep drop off to maybe half a dozen SEC teams for recruiting reasons but that he may or may not be interested in the SEC. I almost feel like the NFL will be the bigger threat
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,951
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Is my memory correct that “5 reasons” is what Jimmy wrote about Ty’s practice that got him banned? Am I mixing that up with something?

81% sure 5 reasons is not what got him banned.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,581
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If I’m AMC I try to sign him to an iron clad five year extension. Five years at 9 mil per and a massive, unreal buyout if he leaves before those five years. That would bring him to the end of his daughters time at UW, seven years in all and give DeBoer and the admin enough time to know if it’s all going to work. You could add in an extra year roll over clause if he hits certain incentives but I’m not sure either side would want it longer than the five years initially. If he’s regularly competing for B1G titles maybe he’s all in. If UW isn’t giving him the resources to do it he can trade up to a program with unlimited funds. It all feels right at the moment but almost all the playmakers are Pete guys. This would be a lucrative LIPO for both parties.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,543
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2023
    BearsWiin said:

Sounds like everyone understands that UW is a stepping-stone job, not a destination

We're talking about Michigan, Ohio St, Bama, Texas, and Florida.

So no we're not talking about stepping stone schools. Everyone is aware that UW isn't as trublu as those schools but then again I'll take just a group of 5-6 that could poach from us over whatever the fuck Cal's place is. Wilcox may make it a hat trick there and get fired and be successful at his next stop.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,005
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2023

BearsWiin said:

Sounds like everyone understands that UW is a stepping-stone job, not a destination

Kal hasn't been to a Rose Bowl for 60 years or something.

Head back to your knitting circle with the girls.
    The vacuum repair store opens at 9, he better get in there quick or he'll be in for it later.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,029
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2023
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,174
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    haie said:

If Michigan would have had to fire Harbaugh, or Ohio St/Bama opens up for some reason I'd be worried, but taking 7 mil which IIRC Petersen got to go rebuild the tire fire he just witnessed firshand just feels like wishful thinking by Sparttards.

Tennessee couldn't get Petersen.

Could 100% see MSU hiring Grubb though.

UW was a tire fire when he arrived
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,556
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

NEsnake12 said:

Deboer's daughter doesn't start college for another year FWIW. Not gonna be a factor in him staying or leaving if other schools pony up $10M+ a year

I don't see why it would make a difference either way. A guy who cares whether or not his adult daughter is in the same city as him so he can go watch a fucking softball game is not the same kind of psychopathic workaholic that is needed to succeed in college football.

Deboer is going to do what's best for his career, and it's up to AMC to convince him that staying, and getting a Brinks truck full of cash in the process, is the right path forward.
    You don't think her dad coaching at UW contributed to her picking UW as her school? Of course it did!
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

NEsnake12 said:

Deboer's daughter doesn't start college for another year FWIW. Not gonna be a factor in him staying or leaving if other schools pony up $10M+ a year

I don't see why it would make a difference either way. A guy who cares whether or not his adult daughter is in the same city as him so he can go watch a fucking softball game is not the same kind of psychopathic workaholic that is needed to succeed in college football.

Deboer is going to do what's best for his career, and it's up to AMC to convince him that staying, and getting a Brinks truck full of cash in the process, is the right path forward.
    Just my opinion but I think Fats is a whynotboth.gif kind of guy, which is why Tedford and Petersen recommended him to UW.

If you watch his interviews this year his approach isn't about just paying for better talent and rolling the same way Saban was. Doesn't mean he isn't obsessed with winning.

My only real concern is Washington State's bullshit NIL "ethics" laws or whatever he brought up. I don't know what they entail but he did mention that they're "pretty tight".

So I think it's more likely that an SEC blueblood could pull him because of the convenience with recruiting, but even then I don't think he's in favor of straight up paying for high school kids that have no played a down of cfb.

He mentioned that UW has a great locker room because the guys getting paid have earned it. I don't think he wants to deviate from that system very much. UW NIL just needs to improve a bit more but Seattle amenities make it close enough imo.
    I don't know enough about how the specifics of our NIL to compare it to others, but I have no problem believing that it'll be a huge factor in how Deboer maps his career. Having a stable and well-funded NIL is crucial to operating a program and sustaining success.

Watching your daughter play softball is not.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Plus, his daughter could always portal to ‘bama too