Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dill Johnson MSU transfer

Comments

• Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

113 receptions the last two seasons for Johnson, yeah he was playing in the air raid but still an impressive stat. McMillan had 118 the last two seasons and Rome had 116.

And he left because he wasnt getting enough touches.

Which is kind of interesting, because he will compete with at least Davis, maybe Ngata or Newton, for touches.

It's interesting the staff brought in Ngata at all
    Interesting indeed, I think you’re right about one or two of the depth guys transferring out of the logjam. I would guess Ngata was brought in because he’s a bit of a savant in pass pro, but doesn’t bring much else to the table. None of these guys are the complete back that can catch the ball, pick up blitzes and be reliable in short yardage like Grubb/DeBoer are looking for out of that position. Tybo Rogers would be that guy but he’ll need to sit for a year or two before he can be counted on
    Ummm Johnson is.

not a big fan of PFF but to each their own
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I could honestly see Cam Davis selling the couch. He's been solid, not great. With DeBoer bringing in a bunch of RB transfers for the 2nd year in a row, Cam might see an opportunity to be THE GUY somewhere like SJSU

Maybe but he's dreaming if he thinks he can be "the guy". He's kind of a one trick pony...run into someone really hard or elude them, go out of control and fall forward for a decent gain but with yards left out there.

He's a fast, explosive dude with slow reactions/vision and no balance. I'd rather he recognize what he offers and stay. I'd also like to see him return more kicks.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

RTD said:

Nice work by the staff to turn over the RB room. Looking for Pickle Rick Newton, and Dill Johnson to be the guys next year with Ngata and Sam Adams Jr as the depth guys.

It'll be Johnson and Davis. Rich will have a limited role like this year but he still brings value.
    Wasn't sure what to make of Davis coming off the Alamo.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

113 receptions the last two seasons for Johnson, yeah he was playing in the air raid but still an impressive stat. McMillan had 118 the last two seasons and Rome had 116.

Which is kind of interesting, because he will compete with at least Davis, maybe Ngata or Newton, for touches.

Interesting indeed, I think you’re right about one or two of the depth guys transferring out of the logjam. I would guess Ngata was brought in because he’s a bit of a savant in pass pro, but doesn’t bring much else to the table. None of these guys are the complete back that can catch the ball, pick up blitzes and be reliable in short yardage like Grubb/DeBoer are looking for out of that position. Tybo Rogers would be that guy but he’ll need to sit for a year or two before he can be counted on
    Ummm Johnson is.

Im sure your football casual genius knows much more.
  • Options

I could honestly see Cam Davis selling the couch. He's been solid, not great. With DeBoer bringing in a bunch of RB transfers for the 2nd year in a row, Cam might see an opportunity to be THE GUY somewhere like SJSU

what is this take? he's getting a 140+ touches again here next year.
  • Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Ummm Johnson is.

Im sure your football casual genius knows much more.
    Ok!
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,566
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Then why did Johnson bother transferring in?

Something is weird with this RB room but I definitely trust the coaches
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,566
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Everyone wished Taulapapa was more athletic. Well, here ya go.

Tualapapa looked athletic as fuck against Texas
    He really did.

His 42 yd Touchdown required speed and power and he held off the DB at the end by outrunning him, I was shocked.
    He showed a gear that wasn't seen previously all year. He looked like a legit NFL back
  • Options

Then why did Johnson bother transferring in?

Something is weird with this RB room but I definitely trust the coaches
    It'll be the same situation with Taulapapa? Johnson probably gets 180+ touches and Davis 140+. Keeping good RBs (they both are) fresh is important for later in the year.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Adams, Sunday, Dumas, Nixon out?
    Davis, Johnson, Newton, Rogers, Ngata in?

No point having Nixon if you bring in Ngata.

I was optimistic about Dumas but I guess not happening. Can Adams switch to safety yet?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Adams, Sunday, Dumas, Nixon out?
    Davis, Johnson, Newton, Rogers, Ngata in?

No point having Nixon if you bring in Ngata.

I was optimistic about Dumas but I guess not happening. Can Adams switch to safety yet?
    From watching Ngata highlights he is nothing like Adams or Nixon. They are both way, way faster.

I don't see what his role is and won't until fall I suppose.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Every season atleast one running back goes out with injury, DeBoer likes his role guys, I can see 1 or two leaving, i think overall the stable is really solid. I'm not sure we beat Oregon or Texas without Towelpopper, I very much TYFYS
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Is this guy going to be a headache if he doesn't get the number of touches he thinks he should next year?