Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vegas terror attack

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    BearsWiin said:

AZDuck said:

Goddamn. 400+ yards. If he was using an AR, I'm surprised the 5.56 rounds still had enough juice to kill at that range.

Going off memory, the effective range of the 55-grain FMJ 5.56mm round is about 500 meters. Muzzle velocity of about 3000fps, and small cross-section means that air drag doesn't slow it down too quickly. Obviously hard to hit a single target at 500 meters without a serious scope, but easy to hit something, anything, when firing indiscriminately into a crowd.
    TM for the M4 states that maximum effective range for area targets is 600 meters. This guy had elevation and certainly an easy target to aim at, just surprised he hit so many.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

BearsWiin said:

AZDuck said:

Goddamn. 400+ yards. If he was using an AR, I'm surprised the 5.56 rounds still had enough juice to kill at that range.

Going off memory, the effective range of the 55-grain FMJ 5.56mm round is about 500 meters. Muzzle velocity of about 3000fps, and small cross-section means that air drag doesn't slow it down too quickly. Obviously hard to hit a single target at 500 meters without a serious scope, but easy to hit something, anything, when firing indiscriminately into a crowd.
    TM for the M4 states that maximum effective range for area targets is 600 meters. This guy had elevation and certainly an easy target to aim at, just surprised he hit so many.
    You can download the Strelok or Applied Ballistics app and know your drop in thirty seconds. Every range finder has an angle arc compensator in it now out to 800 yards.

One click of the button for range, another click for holdover. It's really that simple. There wasn't much wind so you're only talking maybe a half an MOA of drift.

It's hard to fail at shooting these days.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hondo''s president out blaming the NRA this morning
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

BearsWiin said:

AZDuck said:

You can download the Strelok or Applied Ballistics app and know your drop in thirty seconds. Every range finder has an angle arc compensator in it now out to 800 yards.

One click of the button for range, another click for holdover. It's really that simple. There wasn't much wind so you're only talking maybe a half an MOA of drift.

well fuck me with my iron sights and Kentucky windage, huh?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If I had my druthers, we'd be closer to Great Britain- i.e., Shotguns and Hunting Rifles only - and to own any fireman, you have to have a doc certify that you aren't nuts. That said, this isn't realistic in the US, but the idealist in me would like to see something like a complete semi automatic rifle (maybe semi shot guns too) ban; and extremely intrusive regs on handgun ownership + limits on magazine capacity- i.e., if you want to own a piece you have to go through the ringer. Obviously with something like this you're talking about a massive buy back program. Moving on to illegally owned guns - significant jail time/fines if you break the rules. Alas, this is all a pipe dream so feel free to WTF all you want.

The gun control regimes that work best are none (e.g., Japan) or extremely restrictive (e.g., UK) BUT we could be doing a hell of a lot better than we are now. 10 rifles in a Las Vegas hotel room is not a well regulated militia guaranteeing our liberty.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

BearsWiin said:

AZDuck said:

well fuck me with my iron sights and Kentucky windage, huh?
    Well that's fine for shooting deer out to 150 yards.
  • Options
    How about this - every gun be registered and licensed and have transactions tracked with title registered with the state, you know, like cars.

And then have everyone who wants to own and fire a gun take a gun safety course and submit an affidavit or a doctor's certification that he isn't crazy or extremely depressed. A prescription for Prozac is fine, a prescription for Lithium would be disqualifying. And then give them a license. You know, like cars.

And yeah, magazine capacity and fire capacity of weapons should probably be looked at.

But really, I think the onus needs to fall on our 2nd Amendment enthusiasts. You like guns? Cool!

Tell us how to make them reasonably safe and protect the general public, and you can keep them!
  • Options
    The shooter was in possession of an illegal weapon and used it for illegal purposes.

Not a single additional gun law would have done shit.
  • Options
    doogie said:

The shooter was in possession of an illegal weapon and used it for illegal purposes.

Bullshit.

https://youtu.be/MtoAunyUaFU
  • Options
    Are you just going to hang on that emotion or try to provide some logic to back up your claim
  • Options
    BTW isis now claiming credit for the shooting
  • Options
    ISIS claims credit for everything. It's one of the traits they share with the President.

And we'll wait to see about "illegal weapon." An AR-15 is super easy to mod to make automatic. And a shooter that is even slightly trained can achieve a rate of fire that is as fast as the "burst" setting on the military version, the M-4.

Also, who knows about whether gun registration and licensing would have been effective or not. Registration, licensing, and safety laws have dramatically lowered the death rate for cars since 1960. I think we should try to do the same with guns.

But really, I think the onus is on everyone who thinks that the current non-system of firearms regulation is good should tell the rest of us how we can stop having mass shootings all the fucking time.

It's doable, the evidence is out there.
  • Options
    No, they dont. That's sort of the point
  • Options
    doogie said:

No, they dont. That's sort of the point

que?

what is the "they" and what is the "that," and what is "the point"?

There is no definite subject or object in either of your sentences.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    doogie said:

Fuck you are stupid. Educate yourself.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    2001400ex said:

doogie said:

Fuck you are stupid. Educate yourself.
    Wow even more baseless emotion void of coherent thought

You could list a specific gun law that would have been in place on Friday that would have prevented this shooting
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,745
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    AZDuck said:

Shooter was 64 year old white guy. As usual.i knew it wasn't Muslims because he actually hit his targets. Also, his name was "Steven Paddock." Not really Mooslumy. Maybe a recent convert, but more likely a pissed off old white and rich guy.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/02/554976369/section-of-las-vegas-strip-is-closed-after-music-festival-shooting

It would be wrong to politicize this tragedy by discussing the relationship between easy access to firearms and mass shootings in the United States.

Run over to the gun store and buy a machine gun. Let me know how that goes.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

I am just wondering what the motivator was at this point...recent muslim convert as old white guy? Racist? Anti NWO nut job? Antifa loser who wanted to kill rednecks at a country concert? Pissed off gay guy who hates Trump? Pissed off Trump supporter who hates gays? Or maybe just some mentally deranged lunatic who didn't have a cause but wanted to kill people?

Country music is mostly conservatives. It'll be interesting to see what the motive is.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Swaye said:

I am just wondering what the motivator was at this point...recent muslim convert as old white guy? Racist? Anti NWO nut job? Antifa loser who wanted to kill rednecks at a country concert? Pissed off gay guy who hates Trump? Pissed off Trump supporter who hates gays? Or maybe just some mentally deranged lunatic who didn't have a cause but wanted to kill people?

Country music is mostly conservatives. It'll be interesting to see what the motive is.
    GOP softball teams are mostly conservative too so what's your point
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

ISIS claims credit for everything. It's one of the traits they share with the President.

And we'll wait to see about "illegal weapon." An AR-15 is super easy to mod to make automatic. And a shooter that is even slightly trained can achieve a rate of fire that is as fast as the "burst" setting on the military version, the M-4.

Also, who knows about whether gun registration and licensing would have been effective or not. Registration, licensing, and safety laws have dramatically lowered the death rate for cars since 1960. I think we should try to do the same with guns.

But really, I think the onus is on everyone who thinks that the current non-system of firearms regulation is good should tell the rest of us how we can stop having mass shootings all the fucking time.

It's doable, the evidence is out there.

I see you still don't know anything about firearms or the laws pertaining to them.