Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grantland headline - The Quiet Genius of Oregons Mark Helfreich

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014
    AZDuck said:

I can live with Bellotti levels of good (7-9 win seasons, punctuated by occasional 10-11 win seasons) for a while. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle with the new hire. Nobody thought Jimmy Johnson was all that great after Schnelly. People thought even less of Dennis Erickson, yet he was able to keep Miami winning at a high level for a while. That and all the cocaine.

Lambright's trend was downward. That remains to be seen with Helftroof

I'm surprised you can live with the Bellotti level after experiencing the Chip level. I think @PDXDuckFan said the same thing (insert gay smiley here). He thinks 10-3 is a great season. As someone who is a fan of a team that is currently a 7-9 win team, let me tell you... It sucks. If that is how it is going to be, I would say you are better off winning 5 one season, firing Helfrich and getting a new coach.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Bellotti did about as well as Chip's best in Year 7 (vice Year 3 for Chip)... he also had a couple of other top 10 teams, won a couple conference titles. I don't think that is settling for mediocrity, rather an understanding that Oregon is unlikely to become Alabama.

I'm not happy about last year's 11-2 because it really should have been 12-1 given the talent on the roster and the opponents. I just don't think that we know the full story on Helfridhctsjh just yet.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,625 Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

I swim in this pond a lot

gurgle
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,625 Standard Supporter

AZDuck said:

I swim in this pond a lot

Just gurgle one time, it's all we ask
    god damnit
    Gee, you're slow
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    AZDuck said:

Bellotti did about as well as Chip's best in Year 7 (vice Year 3 for Chip)... he also had a couple of other top 10 teams, won a couple conference titles. I don't think that is settling for mediocrity, rather an understanding that Oregon is unlikely to become Alabama.

I'm not happy about last year's 11-2 because it really should have been 12-1 given the talent on the roster and the opponents. I just don't think that we know the full story on Helfridhctsjh just yet.

Or 12-2 with a loss in the Rose Bowl.
  • CanardCanard Member Posts: 504

AZDuck said:

I can live with Bellotti levels of good (7-9 win seasons, punctuated by occasional 10-11 win seasons) for a while. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle with the new hire. Nobody thought Jimmy Johnson was all that great after Schnelly. People thought even less of Dennis Erickson, yet he was able to keep Miami winning at a high level for a while. That and all the cocaine.

I'm surprised you can live with the Bellotti level after experiencing the Chip level. I think @PDXDuckFan said the same thing (insert gay smiley here). He thinks 10-3 is a great season. As someone who is a fan of a team that is currently a 7-9 win team, let me tell you... It sucks. If that is how it is going to be, I would say you are better off winning 5 one season, firing Helfrich and getting a new coach.
    We've all watched you chasing that high for fourteen years now. It ain't pretty. I'm giving Slingblade a pass for last year since he was new to the role and Mariota got banged up. This season we've had three scholarship OTs felled and thus far the staff has schemed around it rather than make excuses.

The one thing helfried absolutely has on Kelly is that he enjoys recruiting and tolerates the rubber chicken circuit. Those two traits buy him a lot of rope with THE donor.

And if anything, Hellboy has an easier bar to clear. Chip had to finish the regular season #1 or 2. Now it's only a top 4 finish required. If he somehow lasts through the current postseason structure, helman's is only looking at having to finish top 6 or 8.

The Ducks have been ranked in the top fifteen for five years running as of this week. Hellacious is over 20% of that streak and growing. It's easier to get to the top when you're always hanging around there pre-and-post-season.

• CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    AZDuck said:

Another overlooked point is that the snactions cloud is no longer hanging over Oregon as a negative recruiting tactic on the part of certain chinless wonders and others. As Hellenistic actually discovered Mariota, and urged Chip to offer him before MM ever started a game, I'm willing to LIPO on that front too. Chip didn't score the abundance of talent he may have otherwise due to the NCAA becoming a drag on the brand.

It will be interesting to see how recruiting goes with hellfire.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    AZDuck said:

So, what... we're just going to ignore the fact UW has a $2.5 Billion endowment vs. $1/2 billion for Oregon?

Oregon's athletic department endowment is somewhere north of $150 million - which has nothing to do with the $560 million university endowment. And yeah, Phil.

I like to pretend the Trustees have no control over departments and finances within their University. It's what I like to do.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Predicting the demise of Oregon is so first decade of this century

They have earned the benefit of the doubt. They care about football and it shows.

IF UW ever gets it right we could have a NW golden age rivalry. It was close and hate filled when both teams generally sucked pre James. Since James came and then UW dropped football one side or the other has dominated.

It would nice to see both good, but I'll settle for just UW being good. I'm classy like that.

I just think it is a bit early to put the genius tag on Helfired.

I think Helf is another Mike Bellotti, but with more toys and more prestige to recruit with. He won't be great, he won't be terrible. That gets you a long tenure in Eugene.

AZDuck said:

So, what... we're just going to ignore the fact UW has a $2.5 Billion endowment vs. $1/2 billion for Oregon?

Oregon's athletic department endowment is somewhere north of $150 million - which has nothing to do with the $560 million university endowment. And yeah, Phil.

I like to pretend the Trustees have no control over departments and finances within their University. It's what I like to do.
    @Sarkastic - the structure of the UO is very different than you might expect. First, the UO was governed by a statewide board until this year. The first thing the new board did was get rid of the president hired by the state board two years ago. Knight isn't on the board, but you know he has representation. Also, the athletic department is supported by a private foundation which is not controlled by the university. Actually, the university has a substantial endowment which is not controlled by the board, since the state does not provide much support. That may be changing with the new board.

TLDR - pm me if you really care
    Please provide a link proving University of Oregon Athletics are not governed by the University of Oregon.

Thank you in advance.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Please provide a link proving University of Oregon Athletics are not governed by the University of Oregon.

Thank you in advance.

Officially, the University in charge.

Reality is much different.
    I see. You cannot. Which is what I suspected in the first place.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Canard said:

AZDuck said:

We've all watched you chasing that high for fourteen years now. It ain't pretty. I'm giving Slingblade a pass for last year since he was new to the role and Mariota got banged up. This season we've had three scholarship OTs felled and thus far the staff has schemed around it rather than make excuses.

The one thing helfried absolutely has on Kelly is that he enjoys recruiting and tolerates the rubber chicken circuit. Those two traits buy him a lot of rope with THE donor.

And if anything, Hellboy has an easier bar to clear. Chip had to finish the regular season #1 or 2. Now it's only a top 4 finish required. If he somehow lasts through the current postseason structure, helman's is only looking at having to finish top 6 or 8.

The Ducks have been ranked in the top fifteen for five years running as of this week. Hellacious is over 20% of that streak and growing. It's easier to get to the top when you're always hanging around there pre-and-post-season.

Shut up Canard. Recruiting was good under Chip and it will be good under Helfrich. Either he will win big or he won't. We'll find out.
    And the President is telling the faculty senate to GTFO... and the President is good buddies with...

connect the dots and read all the links
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Don't know if you've heard but the Dark Ages are over.

I actually agree with this fucktard.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
    Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

And $$$$$$$$ is pretty much everything when trying to find a good coach.
    That must be why USC and Michigan have such great coaches. Oregon has plenty of money to hire a great coach, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you can't get the guy(s) you want. Sometimes the great hire on paper doesn't work out. It's an inexact science.
    USC and Michigan epically failed, and did not improve despite spending big $$$. Hoke and Sark were joke hires, and both coaches constantly get ridiculed on this board. Citing either school is FS