Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grantland headline - The Quiet Genius of Oregons Mark Helfreich

I can't link on my phone but this is real, not a troll.

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited October 2014
    All in all, a pretty good article. Bellotti, Peterman, and Helfrich are part of the Jim Sochor coaching tree from UC Davis. Helfrich and Peterman were both on Bellotti's staff in the mid-90's... Peterman as wide recievers coach, Helfrich as GA.

Remains to be seen how good Helfrich really is (he's 11-2 so far against non-shit-tier competition)*

* counts Tennessee, Virginia, Texas and Michigan State as non-shit-tier competition since they play in Power 5 conferences.
    edited October 2014

I am going to reserve my judgment on Helfrich until he no longer has Mariotta.

And that's fair*

* although Hekfrich deserves credit for Mariota's recruitment since he discovered him riding the pine at St. Louis HS in Honolulu before anyone else and got him an Oregon offer before he was even the starter there
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

I am going to reserve my judgment on Helfrich until he no longer has Mariotta.

This

And who cares if some grandpa and his brat didn't get a slap on the ass and a 5 minute recruiting convo?

They'll still be duck fans anyways, and I guarantee they'd enjoy wins more than losses

Stupid fucking article/10

Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

We'll see next fall. Right now people say Morgan Mahalak is the next guy at QB.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited October 2014
    The good news for Oregon is two-fold. Metrics guy told me that any team with that great of a run, tends to at least be top 25 for the next 5 years. Also, it will take probably 3 years for the Chip Kelly effect to fade. The bad news is they had Chip, we had Sark. Now we have Pete and they have Helfrich.

They've also hired from within and the next hire will likely be an outside hire. The assumption is Uncle Phil will just pay for whoever the best hire is. I'm not so sure there will be a great fit available. I think their next coach will struggle to match even Helfrich's record.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Boosters are such dorks, wtf is wrong with these people.
  • CanardCanard Member Posts: 504

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Don't know if you've heard but the Dark Ages are over.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

The good news for Oregon is two-fold. Metrics guy told me that any team with that great of a run, tends to at least be top 25 for the next 5 years. Also, it will take probably 3 years for the Chip Kelly effect to fade. The bad news is they had Chip, we had Sark. Now we have Pete and they have Helfrich.

They've also hired from within and the next hire will likely be an outside hire. The assumption is Uncle Phil will just pay for whoever the best hire is. I'm not so sure there will be a great fit available. I think their next coach will struggle to match even Helfrich's record.

lot of assumptions in you scenario
    Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Don't know if you've heard but the Dark Ages are over.

I actually agree with this fucktard.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    How does an actual Duck know so much about football? Pretty amazing to me, @AZDuck‌. You seem to be really dialed into Oregon football for being an actual Duck.