Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grantland headline - The Quiet Genius of Oregons Mark Helfreich

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter

How does an actual Duck know so much about football? Pretty amazing to me, @AZDuck‌. You seem to be really dialed into Oregon football for being an actual Duck.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    AZDuck said:

I swim in this pond a lot

Just gurgle one time, it's all we ask
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Don't know if you've heard but the Dark Ages are over.

I agree. Phil will find someone to get it done. It's not going to be Heldrich. There is almost nothing to suggest he is a good coach. Failed OC at Colorado and anyone can be Chip's coordinator.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

I actually agree with this fucktard.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
    Coaching

is

everything
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    I think Roadie (and everyone else here besides Sven - he's the only one that would have fired Peterman at the 50 yard line after the Stanford game) is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking.

Helfrikth was more of a QB coach than the OC at both ASU and Colorado, and he's always done a pretty good job, except when Dan Hawkins was pushing his kid onto the depth chart.

I agree that prior to assuming duties at Oregon, he doesn't have much of a track record. Still, nothing here convinces me to come off of LIFPO just yet. You folks are engaging in confirmation bias for a coach who is 11-2 against non-shit-tier competition and is actually a pretty competent recruiter.

Still giving him his 15 games.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Canard said:

I actually agree with this fucktard.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
    Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

And $$$$$$$$ is pretty much everything when trying to find a good coach.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    edited October 2014
    So, what... we're just going to ignore the fact UW has a $2.5 Billion endowment vs. $1/2 billion for Oregon?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    I'm sick and tired of the Oregon wins because they have money bullshit.

Oregon wins because they have a Board of Trustees willing to support a President's quest to be the best at football. Period.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

I'm sick and tired of the Oregon wins because they have money bullshit.

Oregon wins because they have a Board of Trustees willing to support a President's quest to be the best at football. Period.

and that requires money
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,686 Founders Club
    I can't see a Kelly team getting reamed by a 7-5 AZ team and Stanfurd. Maybe it happened in 2009. After that, his teams were a machine. The four loss seasons are coming ...

So, what... we're just going to ignore the fact UW has a $2.5 Billion endowment vs. $1/2 billion for Oregon?

Oregon's athletic department endowment is somewhere north of $150 million - which has nothing to do with the $560 million university endowment. And yeah, Phil.

We only just got an independent board of trustees this year. It isn't the board - its the big cigars.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    AZDuck said:

I think Roadie (and everyone else here besides Sven - he's the only one that would have fired Peterman at the 50 yard line after the Stanford game) is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking.

Helfrikth was more of a QB coach than the OC at both ASU and Colorado, and he's always done a pretty good job, except when Dan Hawkins was pushing his kid onto the depth chart.

I agree that prior to assuming duties at Oregon, he doesn't have much of a track record. Still, nothing here convinces me to come off of LIFPO just yet. You folks are engaging in confirmation bias for a coach who is 11-2 against non-shit-tier competition and is actually a pretty competent recruiter.

Still giving him his 15 games.

I don't blame you for wanting to LIPO, but Helfrich is Lambright. He's not going to be a complete disaster, but thinking you are going to stay at the level you were with Chip is wishful thinking. Mariota is the only reason you have a chance this year. Guys like him are rare. I hope Helfrich wins 9 games every year and is just good enough to not get fired.
    edited October 2014
    I can live with Bellotti levels of good (7-9 win seasons, punctuated by occasional 10-11 win seasons) for a while. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle with the new hire. Nobody thought Jimmy Johnson was all that great after Schnelly. People thought even less of Dennis Erickson, yet he was able to keep Miami winning at a high level for a while. That and all the cocaine.

Lambright's trend was downward. That remains to be seen with Helftroof