Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grantland headline - The Quiet Genius of Oregons Mark Helfreich

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2014

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Don't know if you've heard but the Dark Ages are over.

I actually agree with this fucktard.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
    Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

And $$$$$$$$ is pretty much everything when trying to find a good coach.
    That must be why USC and Michigan have such great coaches. Oregon has plenty of money to hire a great coach, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you can't get the guy(s) you want. Sometimes the great hire on paper doesn't work out. It's an inexact science.
    USC and Michigan epically failed, and did not improve despite spending big $$$. Hoke and Sark were joke hires, and both coaches constantly get ridiculed on this board. Citing either school is FS
    Huh? The point was that having money does not always equal making a good hire. What are you not understanding?
  • CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    Hires are are extra stupid when picking the fruits of Pete Carrol's coaching shrubbery, or scraping the bottom of the "Micigan Man" barrel.

You should know all about that first one.

There aren't many coaches out there who'd turn down the big office at the H-D complex.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,655
    Canard said:

Hires are are extra stupid when picking the fruits of Pete Carrol's coaching shrubbery, or scraping the bottom of the "Micigan Man" barrel.

There aren't many coaches out there who'd turn down the big office at the H-D complex.

Which is why you guys are FS for settling for Helfrich.
    dnc said:

Canard said:

Chip tapped Hellbilly as his successor. Is Chip fucking stupid?
    Canard said:

How many coaches turned down Texas? It can happen to any school. Maybe it will happen at Oregon, maybe it won't. Either way it will be interesting. There's nothing to get salty about Canard.
    dnc said:

Canard said:

dnc said:

Canard said:

Being a great head coach doesn't make you a great evaluator head coaching ability.
    True. Also, when was the last time a departing head coach recommended a successor who was an HC at another school? It's never happened. Every head coach wants his guy to replace him, both as a favor to the loyal assistant and as further validation of his own success. If Oregon had hired say, Brian Kelly, Chip isn't getting anymore credit for what goes on there after a couple years. But if Helfrich succeeds, Chip looms over the program as long as Helfrich is there.

Same thing if they hired Brian Kelly.
    Chip didn't have to endorse anyone.

"I'm doing a Pete Carroll to a different pro bird team, suckas!!!!"
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    AZDuck said:

Bellotti did about as well as Chip's best in Year 7 (vice Year 3 for Chip)... he also had a couple of other top 10 teams, won a couple conference titles. I don't think that is settling for mediocrity, rather an understanding that Oregon is unlikely to become Alabama.

I'm not happy about last year's 11-2 because it really should have been 12-1 given the talent on the roster and the opponents. I just don't think that we know the full story on Helfridhctsjh just yet.

Bump.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    FUCK YEAH 8-4 HERE WE COME

MICHIGAN STATE IS SO PISSED RIGHT NOW
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

There are Quooks that deserve 0-12. That grandfather story was awesome. It almost makes Phil Bleenor look good. Anyways, it's all over with Helfrich. Duck fans can say LIPO and I don't blame them because they still have a good thing going, but it's not going to end well. I love that he is Oregon's coach. Mariota is masking some serious issues. How many games would they win without him?

You've somehow gone 4-1 with two flaming bags of dog shit at QB. The facilities are all built and the war chest is permanently full. If Helfrich can't get it done, someone else will.

Oregon is going to be good for the long-haul. They've spent too much money not to be. So long as Phil Knight is doing blow off of freshman anus, the Ducks will be relevant.
    Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

That must be why USC and Michigan have such great coaches. Oregon has plenty of money to hire a great coach, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you can't get the guy(s) you want. Sometimes the great hire on paper doesn't work out. It's an inexact science.
    USC and Michigan epically failed, and did not improve despite spending big $$$. Hoke and Sark were joke hires, and both coaches constantly get ridiculed on this board. Citing either school is FS
    Huh? The point was that having money does not always equal making a good hire. What are you not understanding?
    Not always, but most of the time I'd take having money over not having money in a coaching search. The stats back me up. You used the 2 big examples where big name coaches demanded big time money and sucked.

What are you not understanding?

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

Not always, but most of the time I'd take having money over not having money in a coaching search. The stats back me up. You used the 2 big examples where big name coaches demanded big time money and sucked.

Water is wet about rather having money than not. Stop going full fucktard. I never said Oregon won't be able to hire a great coach. I just said it doesn't always work out. Why do you hate Florida? Coaches turned down Texas too. If those schools get turned down, so can Oregon. Hiring coaches isn't as easy as just throwing money. Now, can we get back to praising Helfrich for his quiet genius?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

Water is wet about rather having money than not. Stop going full fucktard. I never said Oregon won't be able to hire a great coach. I just said it doesn't always work out. Why do you hate Florida? Coaches turned down Texas too. If those schools get turned down, so can Oregon. Hiring coaches isn't as easy as just throwing money. Now, can we get back to praising Helfrich for his quiet genius?
    Well, walking down the road doesn't always work either. You could be hit by a fucking asteroid.

I agree, this is a water is wet argument on both sides.

So shut the fuck up and let Cornell suck your pecker in silence.

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

Well, walking down the road doesn't always work either. You could be hit by a fucking asteroid.

Get it together.

Gladstone said:

Canard said:

Coaching

is

everything
    No shit

Get it together.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,831 Founders Club

Oregon is really fucked and this could be the season their fans realize it. Better for them that they collapse now rather than see Helfrich win enough games to keep his job for a few seasons.

You're the worst kind of Husky fan. <$75K wink>
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,655
    Canard said:

dnc said:

Canard said:

dnc said:

Canard said:

Being a great head coach doesn't make you a great evaluator head coaching ability.
    True. Also, when was the last time a departing head coach recommended a successor who was an HC at another school? It's never happened. Every head coach wants his guy to replace him, both as a favor to the loyal assistant and as further validation of his own success. If Oregon had hired say, Brian Kelly, Chip isn't getting anymore credit for what goes on there after a couple years. But if Helfrich succeeds, Chip looms over the program as long as Helfrich is there.

Same thing if they hired Brian Kelly.
    Chip didn't have to endorse anyone.

"I'm doing a Pete Carroll to a different pro bird team, suckas!!!!"
    WJW.

It's sad to see how far you have fallen.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

Oregon has had an amazing run, being an elite program for 5-7 years. Their SRS over the last 8 years is #1 in the country. Its difficult for even USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc to sustain that type of success. The driving force was Chip and he's gone and not walking through that door.

Unfortunately, without a top flight coach they will never be near that level again. They could be top 25 for the next 5 years but it will feel like 6-6 because of where they just were.

Helfrich will have a better record than his replacement. Sometimes there isn't a great fit and sometimes you fuck up the hire. Having money doesn't mean everyone is interested and it doesn't mean you can hire a great coach. Oregon isn't USC, Texas or Alabama. By the time Helfrich is gone, who the fuck will want to coach a 7-8 win team? It might be an 8 win team this season. Certainly not some top 10 coach in the south or midwest. They could make a good hire but that doesn't mean they will return to elite status. As RD said, people said no to Texas and people said no to USC last season and in 2000.

Oregon is really fucked and this could be the season their fans realize it. Better for them that they collapse now rather than see Helfrich win enough games to keep his job for a few seasons.

Solid post chest, agree with most of it, but do think it's a stretch to use SRS to compare Oregon's run to runs USC, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc, have had. SRS is biased towards offensive production, which favors teams in conferences like the PAC, where defense is typically less than stellar. Oregon has had a great run, they've won a lot of games, but the teams you're comparing them to are teams that tend to win multiple national championships during their runs, with physical, dominating teams, kryptonite to the Kelly and Sling Blade duck teams. Anyway, no disrespect meant to Oregon or your post, just not a fan of SRS or any other statistical measures as a lone means to rank college football teams. Doing so results in an incomplete analysis.