Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chris Steele

Comments

• Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    MakaDawg said:

Anyone bragging about how their secondary played against UW's offense is a fucking idiot.

Anyone who thinks Oregon's secondary is better than UW's is a fucking idiot.

Anyone saying Chris Steele isn't a talented recruit and/or UW shouldn't want him is also a fucking idiot.

I'm dumber just for having read this thread, so now I too am a fucking idiot.

Thank you for your fucking service.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    bl

Oregon is fucking doing the damn thing in recruiting. If we recruited just 50% more like Oregon, we'd be Clemson. Instead we are going to be Stanford. Woohoo.

I'm not sure whether Cristobal can really coach. I don't know what's going to happen when they have success, etc... but he understands what they understand in the SEC: it's about getting a roster stacked with talent. That is the first step.

They are doing that. I wish we'd gotten Chris Steele, Kayvon and whomever else. DJ Johnson, etc.

If Cristobal is an average coach, then they will probably end up looking like USC or UCLA under Mora or Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze I think is a good comparison point.

If he gets good OCs and DCs he can be a really good coach. If that's the case, they are going to be Clemson west and we are going to be Harbaugh/Early Shaw-era Stanford.

Every year it will get easier for them to get talent. They care about it and they value it. Last year they got 50% of USC's normal class and 50% of UCLA's normal class.

Anyone that thinks they aren't a threat with this amount of talent and the recruiting juggernaut they are is fucking stupid.

I'm not saying they are going to win Natties with Cristobal. But unless he's a tard, with this talent, they should be pretty good.

Can he sustain? Handle success? Etc... who fucking knows?

In fairness to the board, @Dennis_DeYoung said he never gets worked up about Oregon because they will always be little brother and it’s not even worth discussing as a rivalry hence last years pre Oregon pod being titled “Who do we play this week, Oregon .... YAWN”

But I’m fairness to DDY I moved to Lake Oswego as a black kid the year when we went 0-12 and Oregon went to its first Rose Bowl since the Great Depression so I’d rather suicide bomb the entire state of Oregon then still win a Rose Bowl/Natty.

I also doubted Sav’ell could be swayed into thinking UDUB aka racist by people who live in a town who’s greater metro area has a grand total of negative 47 African American residents.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Oregon is fucking doing the damn thing in recruiting. If we recruited just 50% more like Oregon, we'd be Clemson. Instead we are going to be Stanford. Woohoo.

I'm not sure whether Cristobal can really coach. I don't know what's going to happen when they have success, etc... but he understands what they understand in the SEC: it's about getting a roster stacked with talent. That is the first step.

They are doing that. I wish we'd gotten Chris Steele, Kayvon and whomever else. DJ Johnson, etc.

If Cristobal is an average coach, then they will probably end up looking like USC or UCLA under Mora or Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze I think is a good comparison point.

If he gets good OCs and DCs he can be a really good coach. If that's the case, they are going to be Clemson west and we are going to be Harbaugh/Early Shaw-era Stanford.

Every year it will get easier for them to get talent. They care about it and they value it. Last year they got 50% of USC's normal class and 50% of UCLA's normal class.

Anyone that thinks they aren't a threat with this amount of talent and the recruiting juggernaut they are is fucking stupid.

I'm not saying they are going to win Natties with Cristobal. But unless he's a tard, with this talent, they should be pretty good.

So many fucking ifs. We are not Stanford, we have already surpassed anything they have done recently.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2019

Dude, we already know their coaching staff sucks at actually coaching. What happened against WSU, Arizona, and Utah were total debacles for Oregon. Their coaches got them all hyped up for the Stanford and UW games and then after those games they didn't have much left in the tank. That's some retarded Sark bullshit. Get the kids all hyped up for the big home games, and then shit themselves on the road when you can't replicate that same level of energy.

They are not doing shit in recruiting after they get exposed on the field this season. They will finish the regular season no better than 7-5 with a first round QB. Half their class will decommit, again. Just wait on it. UW under Sark. UCLA under Mora. USC under Kiffin, Sark, Helton. Tennessee under Butch Jones. Whatever comparison you want to use, they all fit. That's Oregon under Cristobal. Personally, I think Tennessee under Butch Jones is the best comparison because they recruit like the $EC in now and Cristobal is a loud mouthed arrogant prick like Butch Jones.

They suck at coaching and they're not bringing in better talent than UW. They're getting some talented guys but overall they're still weak at recruiting certain positions like ILB, D-line, WR (overrated WR recruits) and O-line (too many fat asses).
    What you saw with WSU and Arizona is pretty common with a young team with a less experienced coaching staff. Against WSU, Oregon came out flat from an emotional victory the week prior in an overtime game no less. I would actually like see what the win percentage is for teams that travel the following week after an overtime game. Even though they came out flat, Oregon did adjust well and got within a TD late from being down 27-0 at half. A great effort on a huge third down play for 37 yards on WSU's final drive prevented Oregon from having a game tying drive late.

Then they traveled the next week to Arizona, and had to try and dig themselves out of a deflating loss against WSU, this is where in a young team, the wheels can fall off (and they did). Even if it's common, the coaching staff needed to do better there. Oregon did not come out ready to play at all, and were mentally still in Pullman. For a first year coach, I'll let that slide, but it shouldn't happen again.

Utah? Shit, they should have won, but I wouldn't call it a debacle. UW played essentially the same team a couple weeks later and needed a pick six to win it.

Cristobal showed flashes at times during the season. Two specific moments:

1) He called a key timeout in the first half against Stanford. The analyst were mocking it, but it turned it useful on a third and goal adjustment that lead to a touchdown.

2) The most remembered one was the game winning touchdown run. Third and goal from the 6, Washington tipped their hat that they were in man coverage with help on Dillon Mitchell. Cristobal called timeout and adjusted the play call from a pass to a run, and set that up by putting Mitchell in motion which drew 2 Washington defenders out of the play giving Oregon a one man advantage on the right side of the line of scrimmage. As Mitchell went into motion, Oregon ran it right behind the trailing Washington defenders for a walk in score.

Cristobal was far from perfect, but he did show me that he wasn't completely incompetent. He at times could adjust to what the opponent was doing. This is a prove it year for Mario. Oregon will need to take a step forward or that seat is going to be pretty warm in 2020.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Jesus fucking Christ I never want to see StrongArm and DJFuck in another fucking thread again.

DJD: it’s “Mykael” not Michael and everyone on here knows him because he was by far & away the number 1 CB in the country who couldnt qualify anywhere but Oregon and ASU. I’ll give you a pass on because at least you don’t claim to be black while StrongArm hates all black kids who enjoy the fruits of their labor while claiming he’s black but just being weird about racial shit

Strong Arm: get the fuck back on your meds because you were doing so well up until like 3 days ago. Lenoir hasn’t been that good but Graham is one of if not the best CB in the PAC-12 because Heyward/Leavitt basically use the exact same DB development plan as Pete, see Colorado’s DB success when Leavitt was there.

He didn't make an all-conference team and he gets beat deep. You think this is the best returning corner in the conference?

https://youtu.be/ViXV4qGTZJ0

WTF? I don't hate black kids. I hate any and all kids who are narcissistic, self-absorbed, and attention seeking little fuck boys. Doesn't matter to me if they're black, white, or poly. That's not "enjoying the fruits of their labor". That's being a little attention seeking fuck boy. You enjoy the fruits of your labor when you get drafted to the NFL. That's when you've made it. Some of these high school kids haven't done shit and yet they want to be worshiped. It's getting out of hand. Most of those kinds of kids don't want to grind and put in the kind of work it takes to be successful. When things get hard they wanna transfer. When they don't play, it's the coaches fault. They see the shine but they don't want to grind. We want guys that are confident but at the same time humble grinders. UW recruits those guys and that's why we've had success, especially on defense. The offense will catch up as their talent level continues to rise.
  • Options

So many fucking ifs. We are not Stanford, we have already surpassed anything they have done recently.
    How many times has Pete compared this program to Boise State? If that isn’t trying to be small world successful instead of a Clemson, USC, Miami, Bama like dynasty, not sure what to tell ya.
  • Options
    Founders Club

How many times has Pete compared this program to Boise State? If that isn’t trying to be small world successful instead of a Clemson, USC, Miami, Bama like dynasty, not sure what to tell ya.
    If Petersen wanted this to be BSU he would have stayed in Boise. Hth
  • Options

Oregon is loading up on talented dbs that went to like 4 different high schools. They are very talented but Donte Williams does not scare me as a db coach.

Wouldn't say they're loading up yet. Graham and Lenoir have both been disappointments so far and both were high 4-star recruits. Either they were overrated to begin with or they have shit coaching or both.
    Very disappointing. They just played their sophomore year, and neither is Richard Sherman or prime Charles Woodson. Instead this is what we got from them last year:

Graham: 57 tackles, 3 INT, 18 PD
    Lenoir: 52 tackles, 3 INT, 9 PD

I expected more than 120 tackles and 6 INTs from Graham by now. He's knocked down more passes than anyone in two years of Pac-12 play, but that just means he's not intercepting them and getting thrown at a lot. On the list of the top-100 draft eligible prospects Thomas Graham is barely above scrub recruits like Najee Harris and Jeffrey Okudah.

But I'll take your word over my eyes and expert opinions, because you do have a great track record with predicting what will happen to Oregon CBs.

I watched Graham get his ass whooped against San Jose State, WSU, and Arizona. He also gave up a 50 yard bomb to Ty Jones against UW. You must have not been watching the games when that happened. How many of those pass break ups were against Oregon's cupcake nonconference schedule? How was Graham rated by PFF compared to Byron Murphy? Why wasn't he voted to an All-Conference team by the conference's coach's. Hmmmm? Graham is fine defending the short stuff but can be beat deep pretty easily. I'll take my eyes and the expert opinions of the conference's coaches over your likely skewed and misleading stats.

Dude, I'm on 247 reading other teams boards for info all the time. Last season your fan base was bitching about how disappointing your secondary was against WSU and Arizona and other games as well. Now you want to try to defend them when your own fan base put them on blast.

Oh, and Mykael Wright was a non-qualifier out of high school. He would have had to go JUCO if a school like Oregon didn't game the system for him and allow him to enroll at Oregon while simultaneously taking community college classes to become eligible. Just another way Oregon is bending, if not breaking the rules to get who they want.
    You are so fucking dumb. I'm even dumber because I try to explain things to you.

Your asshole got puckered up too quick, you didn't even get the poont of my reply. I never said they were good, I was showing you that they are far from disappointing. What the fuck do you expect from them by now? They've both already far surpassed the career of an average 4-star CB. Conference coaches didn't pick Graham for an all Pac-12 team, but the AP did. The conference coaches are really on top of things, that's why milk carton Jalen Jelks was first team all Pac-12 and the had a much better season Justin Hollins was honorable mention.

Likely skewed and misleading stats? You mean like you saying the stats were padded by non-con cupcakes, when all six of Graham's and Lenoir's interceptions came in conference play. 22/27 of the PDs came in conference play. Just so you know every time a secondary performs poorly it's solely on the two CBs, not because the team has to bring more guys in the box to stop the run or over blitzes. Dude, you don't have to lie about watching that much Oregon football - I promise you my opinion of you won't diminish if you don't watch.

And I'm glad to hear Oregon eased the academic requirements from the time you wrote that in September to the time Wright enrolled in January. WRIGHT GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL EARLY YOU HUMAN PINECONE. Have you ever heard of an early graduate not getting into school? Oregon and Washington both use the NCAA clearinghouse minimum, I've shown you the stats before on GPA and SATs for special exemption entrants (ie athletes) and Oregon's football team had average higher SAT and GPAs for special exemptions. There's no way you could get into an NCAA football program if you don't meet the clearinghouse minimum, which means any school can take you. And if you think there's no players on your team that had to have an athletic department exemption I have some really bad news for you.

If you're not dissapointed in Graham's performance so far then you just have lower standards than I do as a UW fan. If we get a guy who's damn near rated a 5-star and he gets on the field as a starter, I expect him not to get torched by San Joses State. But that's just me.

As far as Wright, he didn't graduate high school early. He's taking community college classes to fulfill high school requirements while simultaneously being enrolled at Oregon. That's coming straight from Oregon sources which I know you are familiar with but trying to lie about it now.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Oregon is loading up on talented dbs that went to like 4 different high schools. They are very talented but Donte Williams does not scare me as a db coach.

Wouldn't say they're loading up yet. Graham and Lenoir have both been disappointments so far and both were high 4-star recruits. Either they were overrated to begin with or they have shit coaching or both.
    Very disappointing. They just played their sophomore year, and neither is Richard Sherman or prime Charles Woodson. Instead this is what we got from them last year:

Graham: 57 tackles, 3 INT, 18 PD
    Lenoir: 52 tackles, 3 INT, 9 PD

I expected more than 120 tackles and 6 INTs from Graham by now. He's knocked down more passes than anyone in two years of Pac-12 play, but that just means he's not intercepting them and getting thrown at a lot. On the list of the top-100 draft eligible prospects Thomas Graham is barely above scrub recruits like Najee Harris and Jeffrey Okudah.

But I'll take your word over my eyes and expert opinions, because you do have a great track record with predicting what will happen to Oregon CBs.

I watched Graham get his ass whooped against San Jose State, WSU, and Arizona. He also gave up a 50 yard bomb to Ty Jones against UW. You must have not been watching the games when that happened. How many of those pass break ups were against Oregon's cupcake nonconference schedule? How was Graham rated by PFF compared to Byron Murphy? Why wasn't he voted to an All-Conference team by the conference's coach's. Hmmmm? Graham is fine defending the short stuff but can be beat deep pretty easily. I'll take my eyes and the expert opinions of the conference's coaches over your likely skewed and misleading stats.

Dude, I'm on 247 reading other teams boards for info all the time. Last season your fan base was bitching about how disappointing your secondary was against WSU and Arizona and other games as well. Now you want to try to defend them when your own fan base put them on blast.

Oh, and Mykael Wright was a non-qualifier out of high school. He would have had to go JUCO if a school like Oregon didn't game the system for him and allow him to enroll at Oregon while simultaneously taking community college classes to become eligible. Just another way Oregon is bending, if not breaking the rules to get who they want.
    You are so fucking dumb. I'm even dumber because I try to explain things to you.

Your asshole got puckered up too quick, you didn't even get the poont of my reply. I never said they were good, I was showing you that they are far from disappointing. What the fuck do you expect from them by now? They've both already far surpassed the career of an average 4-star CB. Conference coaches didn't pick Graham for an all Pac-12 team, but the AP did. The conference coaches are really on top of things, that's why milk carton Jalen Jelks was first team all Pac-12 and the had a much better season Justin Hollins was honorable mention.

Likely skewed and misleading stats? You mean like you saying the stats were padded by non-con cupcakes, when all six of Graham's and Lenoir's interceptions came in conference play. 22/27 of the PDs came in conference play. Just so you know every time a secondary performs poorly it's solely on the two CBs, not because the team has to bring more guys in the box to stop the run or over blitzes. Dude, you don't have to lie about watching that much Oregon football - I promise you my opinion of you won't diminish if you don't watch.

And I'm glad to hear Oregon eased the academic requirements from the time you wrote that in September to the time Wright enrolled in January. WRIGHT GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL EARLY YOU HUMAN PINECONE. Have you ever heard of an early graduate not getting into school? Oregon and Washington both use the NCAA clearinghouse minimum, I've shown you the stats before on GPA and SATs for special exemption entrants (ie athletes) and Oregon's football team had average higher SAT and GPAs for special exemptions. There's no way you could get into an NCAA football program if you don't meet the clearinghouse minimum, which means any school can take you. And if you think there's no players on your team that had to have an athletic department exemption I have some really bad news for you.

Stalin might be time to update the welcome message
  • Options

Please, tell me again, how well did his time end at Boise State? Did they build upon the talent that Hawkins & Kellen Moore built or did they max out trying to under recruit and outsmart Nevada, Fresno State, and Air Force.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Dude, we already know their coaching staff sucks at actually coaching. What happened against WSU, Arizona, and Utah were total debacles for Oregon. Their coaches got them all hyped up for the Stanford and UW games and then after those games they didn't have much left in the tank. That's some retarded Sark bullshit. Get the kids all hyped up for the big home games, and then shit themselves on the road when you can't replicate that same level of energy.

They are not doing shit in recruiting after they get exposed on the field this season. They will finish the regular season no better than 7-5 with a first round QB. Half their class will decommit, again. Just wait on it. UW under Sark. UCLA under Mora. USC under Kiffin, Sark, Helton. Tennessee under Butch Jones. Whatever comparison you want to use, they all fit. That's Oregon under Cristobal. Personally, I think Tennessee under Butch Jones is the best comparison because they recruit like the $EC in now and Cristobal is a loud mouthed arrogant prick like Butch Jones.

They suck at coaching and they're not bringing in better talent than UW. They're getting some talented guys but overall they're still weak at recruiting certain positions like ILB, D-line, WR (overrated WR recruits) and O-line (too many fat asses).
    So I have you jotted down for Oregon going 7-5. I will be sure and look you up on that at the end of the season. If I were you I would be dreaming up excuses already.😂
  • Options
    Founders Club

Please, tell me again, how well did his time end at Boise State? Did they build upon the talent that Hawkins & Kellen Moore built or did they max out trying to under recruit and outsmart Nevada, Fresno State, and Air Force.
    Fucking Lol. The talent Hawkins built? I can't tell if youre trolling or not. Hawkins had nothing to do with Petersen's multiple undefeated seasons and COY awards. His last two BSU teams werent his best, but that has shit to do with wanting to compete with the big boys on the biggest stage. He got to the fucking playoff in year 3.
  • Options
    PetermanPeterman Member Posts: 675
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I too like to cite total tackle numbers when lauding a cornerback's play
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2019
    Hey...Steele has a shitload of talent and Holland is really good. But Oregon's pass defense was ranked something like 90th last season so I'm not sure how this thread turned into bragging on the current Oregon DBs...

Talent will get you drafted...just ask 5* Iman Marshall who got drafted in, what, the 4th round?

Talent with coaching...now that's a different story...
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Arroyo has a lot to prove as an OC. I am sure Avalos will be an excellent coach. Cristobal just needs to be the CEO. If the Oregon offense sputters, hopefully Cristobal replaces Arroyo. My guess is Arroyo keeps his job and the offense does well. Herbert and the O went from a simple to a more complicated scheme. The 2nd year will have less fits and starts.

There are too many people that shoot straight and know what they’re talking about that endorse Arroyo and Avalos.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

What you saw with WSU and Arizona is pretty common with a young team with a less experienced coaching staff. Against WSU, Oregon came out flat from an emotional victory the week prior in an overtime game no less. I would actually like see what the win percentage is for teams that travel the following week after an overtime game. Even though they came out flat, Oregon did adjust well and got within a TD late from being down 27-0 at half. A great effort on a huge third down play for 37 yards on WSU's final drive prevented Oregon from having a game tying drive late.

Then they traveled the next week to Arizona, and had to try and dig themselves out of a deflating loss against WSU, this is where in a young team, the wheels can fall off (and they did). Even if it's common, the coaching staff needed to do better there. Oregon did not come out ready to play at all, and were mentally still in Pullman. For a first year coach, I'll let that slide, but it shouldn't happen again.

Utah? Shit, they should have won, but I wouldn't call it a debacle. UW played essentially the same team a couple weeks later and needed a pick six to win it.

1) He called a key timeout in the first half against Stanford. The analyst were mocking it, but it turned it useful on a third and goal adjustment that lead to a touchdown.

2) The most remembered one was the game winning touchdown run. Third and goal from the 6, Washington tipped their hat that they were in man coverage with help on Dillon Mitchell. Cristobal called timeout and adjusted the play call from a pass to a run, and set that up by putting Mitchell in motion which drew 2 Washington defenders out of the play giving Oregon a one man advantage on the right side of the line of scrimmage. As the Mitchell went into motion, Oregon ran it right behind the trailing Washington defenders for a walk in score.

Cristobal was far from perfect, but he did show me that he wasn't completely incompetent. He at times could adjust to what the opponent was doing. This is a prove it year for Mario. Oregon will need to take a step forward or that seat is going to be pretty warm in 2020.
    Lol, what a role reversal. Now Oregon fans are the ones making excuses about being young with an inexperienced coaching staff. Hmm, I remember them laughing at us when we said that about Sark's staff and roster. Everything you just posted is a bunch of bullshit excuses doogs used to say. "They came out flat after an emotional victory"and "had to try to dig themselves out of a deflating loss" and "young team". Holy shit that's amazing.

Oregon wasn't even that young. Veteran O-line outside of the LT. Junior at QB. Returning starters at WR and TE. Starting front seven were all returning starters. Entire secondary were returning starters. Most were Sophomores but they weren't first year starters. You were young at LT and RB and kinda young in the secondary and that's about it. Your best players were mostly Helfrich recruited veterans: Herbert, Dye, Amadi, Jelks, Hollins, Mitchell, and 3/5's of the O-line. Oregon was more veteran last season than young.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I just want to die
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

2) The most remembered one was the game winning touchdown run. Third and goal from the 6, Washington tipped their hat that they were in man coverage with help on Dillon Mitchell. Cristobal called timeout and adjusted the play call from a pass to a run, and set that up by putting Mitchell in motion which drew 2 Washington defenders out of the play giving Oregon a one man advantage on the right side of the line of scrimmage. As the Mitchell went into motion, Oregon ran it right behind the trailing Washington defenders for a walk in score.

Lol, what a role reversal. Now Oregon fans are the ones making excuses about being young with an inexperienced coaching staff. Hmm, I remember them laughing at us when we said that about Sark's staff and roster. Everything you just posted is a bunch of bullshit excuses doogs used to say. "They came out flat after an emotional victory"and "had to try to dig themselves out of a deflating loss" and "young team". Holy shit that's amazing.

Oregon wasn't even that young. Veteran O-line outside of the LT. Junior at QB. Returning starters at WR and TE. Starting front seven were all returning starters. Entire secondary were returning starters. Most were Sophomores but they weren't first year starters. You were young at LT and RB and kinda young in the secondary and that's about it. Your best players were mostly Helfrich recruited veterans: Herbert, Dye, Amadi, Jelks, Hollins, Mitchell, and 3/5's of the O-line. Oregon was more veteran last season than young.
    No one is saying Oregon was young overall last year. At corner Oregon was young. Stop with Sark. He said he was young 5 years running and the dude had issues that Cristobal doesn’t. Also, Sark wasn’t out recruiting Oregon.