Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Woody nominated for national athletic director of the year

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited May 2014
    "AZDuck, how are you ahead? How the fuck do you think? Your football and basketball programs have an endless money pit and ties to Nike (and their marketing)."
    Whatever, our AD makes the most money out of all ADs in the conference now... this figure is independent of Phil Knight largesse because I don't think he has to pay for liquor, food, hookers or blow while he's listening to play calls in his headphones in his luxury suite.

And my final poont that you are Dooging it up in this thread is that my comment that Woody isn't one of the best ADs in the country ended up with you guys talking about Whoregon (lol!).
    Coming in 4th place is always special.
    And just think, if Pat HadenFS hadn't hired Sark away, your fanbase would have been fine with 4th place, world without end, until the end of fucking time with the lecherous Armenian.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    AZDuck said:

And just think, if Pat HadenFS hadn't hired Sark away, your fanbase would have been fine with 4th place, world without end, until the end of fucking time with the lecherous Armenian.

He's right, you know.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

AZDuck said:

True but you can't get on those fans when it sounds like you were also fine with 4th place, world without end, until the end of fucking time with the lecherous Brooks either.

UW used to have standards. Oregon, not so much.
    edited May 2014
    Not the case. There was the famous post-Cotton Bowl meeting between the Oregon AD, Mike Bellotti, and some big donors about what it would take for Oregon to become a consistent winner.

People at Oregon want to win, and they think they know the formula. There's some debate there, as part of the "Oregon way" is supposed to be "hire from within," which looks shaky with the Helfrich hire. Still, he deserves another season to win the conference and my confidence.

Overall, the results are pretty good, we don't have a single shitty varsity program at the university right now. Our weakest sport was women's basketball, but they fired the coach. We have one of the highest Directors' Cup scores with one of the lowest numbers of varsity sports in competition - so our guys are doing okay. I'm still not a Mullens fan however.

AZDuck said:

True but you can't get on those fans when it sounds like you were also fine with 4th place, world without end, until the end of fucking time with the lecherous Brooks either.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    AZDuck said:

Not the case. There was the famous post-Cotton Bowl meeting between the Oregon AD, Mike Bellotti, and some big donors about what it would take for Oregon to become a consistent winner.

People at Oregon want to win, and they think they know the formula. There's some debate there, as part of the "Oregon way" is supposed to be "hire from within," which looks shaky with the Helfrich hire. Still, he deserves another season to win the conference and my confidence.

Overall, the results are pretty good, we don't have a single shitty varsity program at the university right now. Our weakest sport was women's basketball, but they fired the coach. We have one of the highest Directors' Cup scores with one of the lowest numbers of varsity sports in competition - so our guys are doing okay. I'm still not a Mullens fan however.

AZDuck said:

Huh? You just spent 2 pages minimizing the effect Phil Knight had and now you are bringing up Phil Knight as to why you finally turned the corner? No fucking shit. We all covered this already.

Getting to be like revenge of the nerds around here.
    Learn to read, Cockus.

Knight's important. But he isn't the only thing that makes the UO AD work. It's kind of like how LA has an economy outside of Hollywood and Arizona has an economy outside of meth. The biggest piece, sure, but far from the only one.

The only thing that can fuck us up now is us. Fortunately for you, we have a bean-counter in the AD role who might do just that. Unfortunately for you, UO is set to get something like $3-4BN from Uncle Phil's estate when he kicks the neon green bucket.

But enough about us. Tell me again why Woody is so awesome (the poont of this thread). Because he hired Peterman?

AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

Huh? You just spent 2 pages minimizing the effect Phil Knight had and now you are bringing up Phil Knight as to why you finally turned the corner? No fucking shit. We all covered this already.

Getting to be like revenge of the nerds around here.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2014
    I don't care how we got Petersen, woody gets the credit 100%. Woody is the best AD since Lude by hiring CP and getting the Stadium done...both game changers. Best believe he has a plan for the hoops program knowing Romar is on the hot seat.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club
    edited May 2014
    AZDuck said:

"You guys weren't shit in the 90's."
    Pac-10 1990's Standings:

Washington: 82 wins
    Arizona: 71 wins
    UCLA: 70 wins
    UO: 70 wins
    USC: 69 wins
    ASU: 63 wins
    Stanford: 61 wins
    Wazzu: 53 wins
    Cal: 51 wins (Cal is too high)
    Oregon State: 29 wins

Nobody else was as good as Washington in the 1990's, but we were in the top tier of the "rest" (UCLA, UO, USC, ASU)

Is anyone else surprised to see AZ second? They had really good years in '93 and '98, but besides that made a few minor bowels.

So it's not a hijack, Uncle Phil defacto runs whOregon. This was obvious by the early 2000s. WIW. I can't wait until Oregon hits its 8-4 level again.
  • GulagDawgGulagDawg Member Posts: 200
    Has Woody fixed the fucking schedule yet?
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club

So you are saying Gary Crowton backed into Chip Kelly?

Or did he maximize where chance met opportunity?

I believe it was Chip Kelly who backed into him. And yes, he maximized the opportunity.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    Some major league pressing in this thread.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    We all know it comes down to coaching not money.

Until Chip showed up Oregon was somewhat close to fading. He took the program to another level. Phil's money wasn't that instrumental for football. Belotti's performance was boosted because the conference sucked during much of his tenure.

Helfrich went 11-2 with perhaps the best roster in the country. How the fuck did he lose to Stanford and get manhandled when the same Stanford team barely beat UW? Then Oregon had a lackluster effort against Utah before getting plungered against Arizona and then barely beating a one dimensional Oregon St squad. He clearly lost the team after the Stanford game.

Helfrich is going to win enough to keep his job for a few years but Oregon has peaked for a long time. Their hire within thing will be fucked and they won't be able to find someone to match Petersen. They think they will be able to buy a great coach but getting a great coach is very tough. The Saban to Bama, Meyer to Florida type moves are rare. The Petersen to UW type moves are rare. Look at how many shitty coaches USC, UW, Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA, Alabama have hired in recent times. After Helfrich is shit canned in 3-4 years Oregon will have to hire a DeRuyter or Wilcox type and hope they evolve. A top 10 established coach is not going to jump ship for a 7-8 win program with limited historical tradition. Its just a fact. Coaches know Washington can be great because of a long history and dominant recruiting position. Oregon is great because of Chip Kelly, not because of Oregon's history or Oregon high school football.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Oregon is about to crash. They'll probably beat us this season and next. But their long-term trajectory is heading down. I'm talking about 5-10 years. The other thing is if they fall back out of the top 10 their recruiting will suffer because of their reliance on a national base. You aren't getting 4-5 star recruits from the south when you are no longer a top 5 program.
  • @AZDuck‌ is dialed into Photoshop, outside of that a lot of twisting from our feathered friend.
    Photoshop?! Everything I do I do with MS-Paint and Powerpoint.

@AZDuck‌ is dialed into Photoshop, outside of that a lot of twisting from our feathered friend.

Again, the doogery in this thread is that you guys are talking about Oregon.

DNC- if I could have found an easy-to-use list of conference wins, I would have used it and probably not posted what I did. Touche.

@Go_OR_Ducks sez that Oregon leads the conference in small donations, and I believe him because that statement validates my Quookish worldview. Fuck off

Also, someone said that Woody is the best UW AD since Lude. Talk about damning with faint praise.