Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Woody nominated for national athletic director of the year

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Not Quooking this shit up.

If I thought your AD was good I would say so. I think Peterman is a great coach and will likely be a difference maker in our little rivalry. But the fact remains that Sark was here for the long haul until Pat Haden FS took him off your hands, your basketball program is a #flamingshittydreckfest and building a stadium is a nice accomplishment, but really only checks the block when one considers the size of UW and the resources at its disposal.

Phil Knight didn't find Chip Kelly, Gary Crowton did. (!)

topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get there. Woodward has gotten backed into results.
    I am amused a Duck would talk about backing into results.

Duck Gawds bless Phil Knight for what he has done.

The fact is ... with a lot of talented folks going through that program ... it wasn't shit until Uncle Phil opened his wallet.

Luck, money, or skill ... someone had to execute when chance met opportunity.

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

If I thought your AD was good I would say so. I think Peterman is a great coach and will likely be a difference maker in our little rivalry. But the fact remains that Sark was here for the long haul until Pat Haden FS took him off your hands, your basketball program is a #flamingshittydreckfest and building a stadium is a nice accomplishment, but really only checks the block when one considers the size of UW and the resources at its disposal.

topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get there. Woodward has gotten backed into results.

The fact is ... with a lot of talented folks going through that program ... it wasn't shit until Uncle Phil opened his wallet.

So you are saying Gary Crowton backed into Chip Kelly?

Or did he maximize where chance met opportunity?

Many teams went after Peterman ...

The stadium could have been built years ago had previous leaders understood who pays the bills.

From what I hear Romar is a great coach who only needs the right draw to get to the final four.

Here is what you are missing.

The road to success is littered with people who got to the one and failed.

Woody got the stadium built, he got Peterman hired ...

Everything looks easy ... after it's done.

Hell he is even getting baseball talked about on a Halfbrain bored ...
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    Gladstone said:

Rebuilt stadium. Dumped Sark. Hired Petersen. Now fire Romar and he has my vote.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,564 Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

Go poast on a board about a university you understand
    This thread gives me hope for the future. It's nice to know that even HHBs will write checks for mediocrity and back a known POS like Woody as long as he is right once every eight years.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,564 Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

This thread gives me hope for the future. It's nice to know that even HHBs will write checks for mediocrity and back a known POS like Woody as long as he is right once every eight years.

Thanks for proving my point you fucking moron.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Congratulations to PGOS for winning the HardcoreHusky Doog O' The Week!

Saying Woody has done a good job is not being a doog. It's calling a spade a spade.

Saying Woody has done a good job is not being a doog. It's calling a spade a spade.
    That's not what earned you the HHDOTW award.

You earned it for your lameass response to a legitimate take calling Woodward mediocre. AZDuck made some legitimate points and you gave a typical Grinolds response.

You earned it for your lameass response to a legitimate take calling Woodward mediocre. AZDuck made some legitimate points and you gave a typical Grinolds response.
    Mediocre ADs dont get the stadium done with the clusterfuck university beurocracy. Mefiocre ADs dont hire peterman.

And yes, woody needs to fire romar and remodel hec ed. Still a good ad.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

Uncle Phil is heading into the final two minutes of his fourth quarter. That is what gives me hope.
    topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

Uncle Phil is heading into the final two minutes of his fourth quarter. That is what gives me hope.
    topdawgnc said:

AZDuck said:

Are you trying to steal the HHDOTW from PGOS?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    AZDuck said:

The Oregon AD or Phil Knight's assistant hired Helfrich and Altman. Those aren't looking like great hires. Jeremy Foley at Florida has a mantle full of championships in football and basketball. He also hired Ron Zook and Will Muschamp. I would love to see the AD with a perfect track record.

The only sport that truly matters at UW is football. The rest is a luxury, with basketball being at the top of the list. Woodward hired a highly sought after coach and got the stadium built for cheap. Football is how he earns his keep.

You can quibble all you want over how he did it, but ultimately it makes no fucking difference if he fired Sark or Sark left for USC.

This topic is still alive? Christ.

It's awfully cloudy out for late September.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club
    Woodward has definitely improved at his job since 2008. I feel kind of bad having called him "Pool Bitch" a few times, but that's my passion for winning. I know the award is probably ultra faggy and p.c., so it encompasses 287 Olympic sports, and we're probably doing well in those. In terms of the money sports, he's done okay, maybe decent, but retaining Romar after three years of missing the tournament is a bad move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Ehh AZDuck was pressing and not really making legitamite points. He wasn't giving Woodward credit for Petersen which he deserves.

He's also coming off as hypocritical since Oregon was nothing until Knight so happenly decided to be in their program. He even dismissed that point.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    AZDuck said:

I hate it when @AZDuck‌ is right.
    For my ignorant friends, a requote:

Hiring Peterman = great
    Hiring and keeping Sark for five fucking years = horrible
    Basketball = dumpster fire
    Stadium = great, but well overdue

Summary = mediocre, but trending up.
    The Oregon AD or Phil Knight's assistant hired Helfrich and Altman. Those aren't looking like great hires. Jeremy Foley at Florida has a mantle full of championships in football and basketball. He also hired Ron Zook and Will Muschamp. I would love to see the AD with a perfect track record.
    The fuck?

The guy at Dook or maybe whoever's in charge at Stanford (Sears Cups holla)... but Helfrich is still an unproven commodity and Altman is looking pretty fucking good. Woody isn't even a top 50% AD. Oregon has gone from being near last in the Pac-12 in revenue to the top in the last few years, and I don't even think our AD is that great.

How we are ahead of you fucks who are located in the middle of the largest city in the PNW with a 70K stadium and twice as many living alumni (320K for UW vs. 160K for UO)... our guys are doing some shit right. And that is argument one for why your guy isn't all that.

It really amuses me that so many people think that building the stadium is a great accomplishment. Getting the stadium done is what I would call "minimal competence." Let's see, the UW owns the land, and has for over a century. There was already a stadium there, so zoning wasn't really an issue. It was a matter of knocking heads and getting donors to open up their pocketbooks, and of the 320K UW alums worldwide, 215K live in the state of Washington.

Earth to so-called halfbrains, your AD isn't all that great.

I'm hearing that Peterman wanted the UW job more than the AD wanted Peterman, so there's that as well. But please, let this guy and his cronies continue to run your AD. We probably need another ten years or so to really solidify our position as the premiere sports program in the NW.