Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Woody nominated for national athletic director of the year

Comments

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    I've said it before. Woodward fell ass-backwards into the one good decision he's made as AD: Hiring Petersen. Simple fact.

I'm extremely bullish on Husky Football these days. I can't fucking wait for the season to start. But Woodward ain't got nuthin' to do with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    TTJ said:

I've said it before. Woodward fell ass-backwards into the one good decision he's made as AD: Hiring Petersen. Simple fact.

I'm extremely bullish on Husky Football these days. I can't fucking wait for the season to start. But Woodward ain't got nuthin' to do with it.

A ton of revisionist history going on in here. It's getting to be like revenge of the nerds around here.

Woodward deserves credit for Petersen but giving him credit for Sark choosing to LEAVE! is a little asinine IMO.
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

A ton of revisionist history going on in here. It's getting to be like revenge of the nerds around here.

Woodward deserves credit for Petersen but giving him credit for Sark choosing to LEAVE! is a little asinine IMO.
    Agreed.

OTOH, he deserves REAL credit for the stadium, IMO. Long before the HHB DIAFF, everyone there was convinced the Dawgs were destined to end up at the CLink for good. Woodward pulling that off (along with the long overdue beisbol park) are major poonts in his favor to me.

I'm not ready to give him ADOTY, but he's trending pretty heavily in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I'll go so far as to say I hope we keep him, and I never thought I'd be saying that.
    Agreed with all of that. I think Woodward is going in the right direction. I'm aware Sark leaving so shortly and Petersen coming here so shortly didn't occur over night either.

However, I think many are too quick to crown his ass. If not for Pat HadenFS we still have Sark as our head coach for two more years of lame dick football.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited May 2014
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

I'd hit it.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    dnc said:

OTOH, he deserves REAL credit for the stadium, IMO. Long before the HHB DIAFF, everyone there was convinced the Dawgs were destined to end up at the CLink for good. Woodward pulling that off (along with the long overdue beisbol park) are major poonts in his favor to me.

Is it established (or even assumed) that the stadium project would never have happened but for Woodward's influence? I honestly don't know the answer.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,073 Founders Club
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

Agreed.

OTOH, he deserves REAL credit for the stadium, IMO. Long before the HHB DIAFF, everyone there HARV was convinced the Dawgs were destined to end up at the CLink for good. Woodward pulling that off (along with the long overdue beisbol park) are major poonts in his favor to me.

I'm not ready to give him ADOTY, but he's trending pretty heavily in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I'll go so far as to say I hope we keep him, and I never thought I'd be saying that.
    ftfy
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    If he doesn't get the award, or if he does get the award, I don't a fuck. It changes nothing in the past or future.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,564 Swaye's Wigwam

If he doesn't get the award, or if he does get the award, I don't a fuck. It changes nothing in the past or future.

it gives FREE PUB! on our way to the Natty this year

you're off the bandwagon, just like the Seahawks. You ain't getting back on
    I have a question about the bandwagon?

Is the bandwagon accessible for those in wheelchairs or do they discriminate against PLSS so he can't ever get on the bandwagon?
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    Are these the same guys that put Barbara Hedges into the Athletic Director's Hall of Fame? Just trying to put things in perspective...

Barbara Hedges served as the director of athletics at the University of Washington from 1991-2004. In 1996-97, Hedges became the first female President of NACDA and in 1998 she was the first female to be named to the Board of Directors of the National Football Foundation. Among her accomplishments, Hedges' led the Washington "Campaign for the Student-Athlete," which raised more than $100 million for capital improvements.The campaign provided monies for the renovation of the basketball arena (Hec Edmundson Pavilion-Bank of America Arena), created a Husky Hall of Fame, built a $29 million indoor practice facility and a $18 million academic and crew facility (completed in 2005). She also helped secure a $1 million gift from the Seattle Seahawks to install FieldTurf in Husky Stadium. Hedges was also committed to gender equity, making the Washington campus one of the national leaders in providing equal opportunities for both male and female student-athletes. With a focus on the future success of student-athletes, Hedges started the "Total Student-Athlete Program," which was devoted to leadership training, mentor programs, career opportunities and community service. She also introduced the "U-Wired" program, which allowed student-athletes access to laptop computers while traveling for intercollegiate competition. During her career, Hedges served on numerous committees and boards and has been the recipient of awards in athletics and in the community.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get there. Woodward has gotten results.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get there. Woodward has gotten backed into results.
    AZDuck said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get there. Woodward has gotten backed into results.
    I am amused a Duck would talk about backing into results.

Duck Gawds bless Phil Knight for what he has done.

The fact is ... with a lot of talented folks going through that program ... it wasn't shit until Uncle Phil opened his wallet.

Luck, money, or skill ... someone had to execute when chance met opportunity.
    In sports you always need a little luck. I mean Don James was turned away by Colorado the year prior to his hire at UW.

Sports is always about luck which nobody wants to talk about. Sometimes lucky breaks go your way and sometimes they don't(James resigning 2 weeks before a season).

UW got lucky to get Petersen but if he becomes the coach we all think he'll be then nobody will remember it was "lucky". Instead Woodward will be a legend and rightly so.

However, crowning Woodward right now feels a bit premature. I wouldn't be surprised in five years though he is considered a top AD. Depends what he does with the basketball program to really figure it out.

In sports you always need a little luck. I mean Don James was turned away by Colorado the year prior to his hire at UW.

Sports is always about luck which nobody wants to talk about. Sometimes lucky breaks go your way and sometimes they don't(James resigning 2 weeks before a season).

UW got lucky to get Petersen but if he becomes the coach we all think he'll be then nobody will remember it was "lucky". Instead Woodward will be a legend and rightly so.

However, crowning Woodward right now feels a bit premature. I wouldn't be surprised in five years though he is considered a top AD. Depends what he does with the basketball program to really figure it out.

this