Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2022]

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

dannarc said:

He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

feels like all the 5*s we? get dont turn out to be 5*s when they get on the field.

maybe its coaching, maybe rankings are shit, maybe abundance?
    Reggie Williams and Shaq Thompson panned out.

Huard probably won’t.
    Smalls never should have been a 5*. That was obvious to everyone except the dawgman guys and tbsr’s that Jack off to rankings.

I can’t think of any others. Kasen williams and Buddha baker were fringe guys that ended up 4*.
    Wasn't Kavario Middleton one of the highest ranked recruits of all time to UW? He was a top50 national player.
    Ended as a 4*. He actually had legit talent. No drive or discipline though. He should have made millions.
    Great hands but he probably always ran about a 5.0 40. Not sure he was fast enough to be truly special.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Houhusky said:

dannarc said:

He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

feels like all the 5*s we? get dont turn out to be 5*s when they get on the field.

Huard probably won’t.
    Smalls never should have been a 5*. That was obvious to everyone except the dawgman guys and tbsr’s that Jack off to rankings.

I can’t think of any others. Kasen williams and Buddha baker were fringe guys that ended up 4*.
    Wasn't Kavario Middleton one of the highest ranked recruits of all time to UW? He was a top50 national player.
    Ended as a 4*. He actually had legit talent. No drive or discipline though. He should have made millions.
    Great hands but he probably always ran about a 5.0 40. Not sure he was fast enough to be truly special.
    Fans go to games. Cynics complain.

For regular posters here, seems like a cynic to fan ratio of about 5 to 1.

Oh but I've been sooo burned by PETERMAN, Jen is the WORST, DOOGS SUCK, the Athletic Department is SOO INCOMPETENT.

Get over yourself and go to the game. I swear the old guard here acts like a bunch of too cool adolescents. I'm sure there are some here so jaded that they actually want UW to LOSE on Saturday, but I'm not sure that's many. How about admit that you'd like us to win and get your lazy ass to the game. And quit with the "I've been so heartbroken I just can't care anymore". Seriously, that's your mental toughness level? GET to the GAME.

And yeah, this isn't Softy, isn't Jen, isn't anyone other than a fan whose hung around on this board long enough to feel the need to call your BS. Yes, you.
    GRUNDLE STOp
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Huard's a non factor and is was obvious. during his first start. The only QB that has ever played a game that bad since Fouch was maybe Lindquist. It was that bad.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because he really had not received anything in the form of decent coaching until this spring. He still sucks until he doesn't, but I'd like to see him after a year with Grubb, the murderer of families on vacation.
    Exactly. He sucks, badly, but his story is not necessarily finished.
    It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves. .
    Um...wrong and fuck you Roadie. I don't care about his fucking ranking. I leave open the possibility that every player can still come around until they can't with no ranking bias at all. If you actually paid attention to my posts you'd know that.

It takes a lot before I'll completely dismiss a player. Huard hasn't had a lot of time to prove he's hopeless. Your assessment of his athletic ability and arm are both wrong and due to your own determination to be right.
    Morris has a better chance of being a good starter than Huard.
    I have to disagree with this. Morris has had 2 seasons. Huard had one game, although it was fucking god awful, under maybe the worst offensive scheme and coaching the program has ever seen. LIPO in 2 years.
    This is where I'm at as well. Morris is a known...very well known. We just got to see it two weeks ago.

When Penix gets hurt, either Huard has had a light bulb come on and UW might finish the season on a reasonable note, or Morris takes over and UW struggles to get bowl eligible. I don't think UW can beat anyone left on the schedule with Morris at QB.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 335
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Huard's a non factor and is was obvious. during his first start. The only QB that has ever played a game that bad since Fouch was maybe Lindquist. It was that bad.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because he really had not received anything in the form of decent coaching until this spring. He still sucks until he doesn't, but I'd like to see him after a year with Grubb, the murderer of families on vacation.
    It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves. .
    Um...wrong and fuck you Roadie. I don't care about his fucking ranking. I leave open the possibility that every player can still come around until they can't with no ranking bias at all. If you actually paid attention to my posts you'd know that.

It takes a lot before I'll completely dismiss a player. Huard hasn't had a lot of time to prove he's hopeless. Your assessment of his athletic ability and arm are both wrong and due to your own determination to be right.
    I have to disagree with this. Morris has had 2 seasons. Huard had one game, although it was fucking god awful, under maybe the worst offensive scheme and coaching the program has ever seen. LIPO in 2 years.
    We can argue about this all we want but at the end of the day are either of them going to be QBs on teams that contend for titles? Probably not. The ceiling for Morris and Huard looks to be middle of the conference type QBs. Game managers, not difference makers. If either of those two is your starting QB you're probably going 7-6.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    On teh flip, weº have seen a decent game or two out of Morris, under the same offense/corching constraints. We™ have seen zero from Huard.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

On teh flip, weº have seen a decent game or two out of Morris, under the same offense/corching constraints. We™ have seen zero from Huard.

true but morris had 16 games
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

We can argue about this all we want but at the end of the day are either of them going to be QBs on teams that contend for titles? Probably not. The ceiling for Morris and Huard looks to be middle of the conference type QBs. Game managers, not difference makers. If either of those two is your starting QB you're probably going 7-6.
    In order for UW to win a REAL bowl game/playoff UW has to have an athletic mobile QB. The game has moved on from statues and UW isn't likely to ever have the talent to cover for a statue's deficiencies in an actual big game.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club
    I've been championing Penix since last spring. That being said, we need to see him under pressure and leading UW to big wins, before we crown him as NFL-ready. Secondly, unless he has an incredible 2022 season, coming back for another year and proving durability could really help his draft status.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2022
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

This is where I'm at as well. Morris is a known...very well known. We just got to see it two weeks ago.

When Penix gets hurt, either Huard has had a light bulb come on and UW might finish the season on a reasonable note, or Morris takes over and UW struggles to get bowl eligible. I don't think UW can beat anyone left on the schedule with Morris at QB.
    Colorado? Okay, last year but . . . . . . . . . New coaches.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

I've been championing Penix since last spring. That being said, we need to see him under pressure and leading UW to big wins, before we crown him as NFL-ready. Secondly, unless he has an incredible 2022 season, coming back for another year and proving durability could really help his draft status.

You get paid in college now...

His injury history will prevent him from being picked really early next draft unless he leads UW to 11+ wins (he wont). Sign a 250K-500K NIL deal, take out some injury/draft insurance, comeback and maybe he can play himself into the real 1st or 2nd round money.

All of this depends on him actually being good, not just an ok QB that can beat up Portland and Kent.

UCLA fans have watched Dorian Thompson-Robinson look like a great future NFL athletic QB against pre season opponents every year for the past 8 years only to collapse and play like shit in the regular season.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Don't give a rat's ass if he is NFL anything - I want him Heisman QB ready and lead UW to some meaningful wins. Screw his afterlife

Edit: for now
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

dannarc said:

Huard probably won’t.

Figured he could have played a few years in the nfl. Off the field stuff was his problem. ASJ was no burner himself.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

dannarc said:

Huard probably won’t.

Figured he could have played a few years in the nfl. Off the field stuff was his problem. ASJ was no burner himself.
    Both of those guys could run well enough for their size if they worked on it and stayed in shape...and out of trouble.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Penix is NOT a NFL QB. Zero chance he gets drafted. He is a very good college QB which is fine because I care about how he plays for WASHINGTON…. Not the ducking Bears or Raiders.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Penix is NOT a NFL QB. Zero chance he gets drafted. He is a very good college QB which is fine because I care about how he plays for WASHINGTON…. Not the ducking Bears or Raiders.
    If Jack Brownsox can stick in the league as a practice guy / borderline 3rd stringer, Penix can have his cup of coffee if he stays healthy. Penix has much better NFL measurables/skills.