Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2022]

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Huard's a non factor and is was obvious. during his first start. The only QB that has ever played a game that bad since Fouch was maybe Lindquist. It was that bad.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because he really had not received anything in the form of decent coaching until this spring. He still sucks until he doesn't, but I'd like to see him after a year with Grubb, the murderer of families on vacation.
    Exactly. He sucks, badly, but his story is not necessarily finished.
    It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves.

At best he’s a shitty starter in the PAC 12. You’re not winning shit with Sam Huard as your QB. We will have another transfer come in next year or Kienholz will start from day 1 or at least midway thru the season. Huard isn’t even better than Morris. Add it up. DeBoer isn’t going to let Sam Huard be his starting QB.

He’s not a physically talented guy. Average arm. And on top of that, he’s horrible when he does play.
    I take no joy in agreeing with Roadie on this but it's the clear truth and has been.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Huard's a non factor and is was obvious. during his first start. The only QB that has ever played a game that bad since Fouch was maybe Lindquist. It was that bad.

I still will give him the benefit of the doubt because he really had not received anything in the form of decent coaching until this spring. He still sucks until he doesn't, but I'd like to see him after a year with Grubb, the murderer of families on vacation.
    It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves.

At best he’s a shitty starter in the PAC 12. You’re not winning shit with Sam Huard as your QB. We will have another transfer come in next year or Kienholz will start from day 1 or at least midway thru the season. Huard isn’t even better than Morris. Add it up. DeBoer isn’t going to let Sam Huard be his starting QB.

He’s not a physically talented guy. Average arm. And on top of that, he’s horrible when he does play.
    I take no joy in agreeing with Roadie on this but it's the clear truth and has been.
    There was a tim when the true freshman QB looking like shit only to actually practice and develop for the next 3-4 into a solid upper classman starter wasn't that uncommon.

But that was before this zoomer NIL and portal shit, Why invest in coaching up some underclassman QB? Send him off to the farm school in Fresno and buy him back in 2-3 years if he is any good.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

TheHB said:

It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves. .
    Um...wrong and fuck you Roadie. I don't care about his fucking ranking. I leave open the possibility that every player can still come around until they can't with no ranking bias at all. If you actually paid attention to my posts you'd know that.

It takes a lot before I'll completely dismiss a player. Huard hasn't had a lot of time to prove he's hopeless. Your assessment of his athletic ability and arm are both wrong and due to your own determination to be right.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Penix is actually eligible again next year, but he could go pro
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Never recruit a WA state QB again. I would rather have the 50th ranked QB in Texas or Florida than the #1 ranked in WA state.

This is the plight of the WA State 5-star.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

It’s over. The high school ranking is the only reason you guys treat him with these kid gloves. .
    Um...wrong and fuck you Roadie. I don't care about his fucking ranking. I leave open the possibility that every player can still come around until they can't with no ranking bias at all. If you actually paid attention to my posts you'd know that.

It takes a lot before I'll completely dismiss a player. Huard hasn't had a lot of time to prove he's hopeless. Your assessment of his athletic ability and arm are both wrong and due to your own determination to be right.

He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

• Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    The worst thing you can say about Huard is that he shows no moxie.

Regardless of the level of coaching he's received or the quality of opponents, Huard has not displayed the rugged mentality a good qb must have.

After that is his relative lack of above average physical traits.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Morris threw an Interception to a one handed man in triple coverage. He is not immune from this conversation.
    It was against a better opponent and Morris has never been the reason we have gotten blown out.

The Apple Cup would have been a two score loss at worst if Morris started.
    I don’t think the Oregon defense by that time was any better than wazzu. Arizona and colorado were also horribly quarterbacked games by Morris and I I am sure I could go back and find some more. He was just awful last year with the rest of the offense.

Who gives a shit about huards ranking? I am sure some tbsr’s somewhere do but His film on him showed countless downfield passes where wr’s never broke stride. ThAts a good trait regardless of who you are throwing to. Now his wr’s were great by high school standards and his film never showed him squeezing in to a tight window which is a valid concern.

He may well suck. But haener sucked too before going to Fresno. He was a well known turnover machine in practice. He is a good qb now under the current staff.

I am not worried if he sucks because this staff won’t play huard if he hasn’t earned it.

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dannarc said:

He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

feels like all the 5*s we? get dont turn out to be 5*s when they get on the field.

maybe its coaching, maybe rankings are shit, maybe abundance?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

This is the dumbest shtick. I've followed the program since I was a young child. My entire fucking life basically. There are many others in the same boat. And it's not a comparison about how long we have followed it, but fuck oh dear man. It means a lot or at least something to almost all of us here and the decline of the program along with erosion of college football has made almost all of us care less.Yet here we are still following it, yourself included.

We looked pretty good after a couple of shitty years of football and are enjoying it. I know it's your shtick but it's fucking stupid. You are likely right but it's tired man. This isn't Kim and co pumping up Sark or Ty Willingham getting a 4th year. You went to shit holes like Corvallis and Eugene in the 0-12 year. None of us care, but you have spent more money on this shitty program than just about anyone here. We get it, you are rich, but you are a doog like most here, and the obsession/interest with the dodging stuff is only done by retards like you and Boobs. It's corny. You have a script you follow religiously here, but you could say, it's too early to crown Deboer and I didn't like x,y,z about what I saw. Maybe after that you can mention that you never actually make any posts about the football being played and your posts today are the same tired bullshit. We are fans, we want UW to do well, and we are excited about what we saw. I do remember your 15 games prediction about Pete that you pulled outta your ass and he failed miserably in those first 15 games.

We aren't winning the natty and there is probably less than a 1% of Deboer ever winning a title. A lot of guys here have liked the organization and demeanor of DeBoer. Offense ran very smoothly after years of struggle. Defense didn't look all that great and there are some talent issues, mostly because of recruiting misses on both of our lines. Deboer has a good resume, every place or offense he has coached was better when he was there and worse when he left.

Yeah, it could be an overreaction after game one, but so far so good. Your bullshit about it being dooging nonsense really is retarded because everything so far has been good. And since we are fans of the program, we like it to do well and are excited about the progress and the future after game one. Personally, I like what I see, but I'll still stick with 8-9 wins like I did before the season. It is too early. We know we have a better coach and program than we did a year ago. Fuck off.
  • Options

dannarc said:

feels like all the 5*s we? get dont turn out to be 5*s when they get on the field.

Reggie Williams and Shaq Thompson panned out.

Huard probably won’t.
    Smalls never should have been a 5*. That was obvious to everyone except the dawgman guys and tbsr’s that Jack off to rankings.

I can’t think of any others. Kasen williams and Buddha baker were fringe guys that ended up 4*.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The worst thing you can say about Huard is that he shows no moxie.

Regardless of the level of coaching he's received or the quality of opponents, Huard has not displayed the rugged mentality a good qb must have.

After that is his relative lack of above average physical traits.

Ideally, every player on the field plays in a way you want them to. And if you're Georgia or Alabama, etc., you have a prayer of recruiting players that might have a prayer of doing so. When you're Washington (and therefore have Washington's upper campus, booster, and fan base support), you're going to have to compromise on something.

It's like video game characteristics. Every year, there are maybe a dozen players that max out the score in every important attribute, and they're all going to go where they can be paid. Below that, you're going have players who have, say, 5 out of 5 speed but 3/5 size and 4/5 burst. A good coach arranges those pieces on the field to maximal effect.

Short of having a legendary defense and OL/RB, no team is going anywhere without a QB that's good. UW will not pay enough for Trevor Lawrence. They're going to have to make do with a player that doesn't max out a few of the attributes. And this is where I part ways with most on Hardcore Husky.

For some reason, most here place a premium on the big-dick-gunslinger attribute. Morris was amazing for a hot minute because he threw a wobbly touchdown pass and then tapped his veins. Everybody forgets that he played like shit for the three quarters prior, thus necessitating the late winning drive.

To me, the most important characteristics for a quarterback are 1.) Decision making, 2.) Accuracy, 3.) Athleticism, 4.) Moxie. In that order. Browning was not Trevor Lawrence because he lacked category 3 (although sneaky good scrambler) and some might argue category 4, but he was the best quarterback at UW between perhaps Tui and Penis because he was great at category 1 and elite at category 2. Frowns when his kicker misses, though, so everyone hates him...

Morris throws a wobbly, inaccurate ball. Full stop. He's a 2/5 in the accuracy department, so nothing else really matters. I just don't thing that's something that can be fixed.

Huard played perhaps the worst game I've ever seen a starting quarterback play in the Apple Cup. That being said, his arm strength is decent, and he's accurate. Those things are important and can't really be coached. The hope is that the huge deficiency in category 1 (the most important, and thus why his Apple Cup was so abysmal) can either be coached out of him or was at least partially the result of a team that had quit. Point is, there's still at least hope for him, although I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

dannarc said:

Huard probably won’t.
    Smalls never should have been a 5*. That was obvious to everyone except the dawgman guys and tbsr’s that Jack off to rankings.

I can’t think of any others. Kasen williams and Buddha baker were fringe guys that ended up 4*.
    Wasn't Kavario Middleton one of the highest ranked recruits of all time to UW? He was a top50 national player.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

dannarc said:

Huard probably won’t.

Wasn't Kavario Middleton one of the highest ranked recruits of all time to UW? He was a top50 national player.
    Ended as a 4*. He actually had legit talent. No drive or discipline though. He should have made millions.
  • Options
    coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Never recruit a WA state QB again. I would rather have the 50th ranked QB in Texas or Florida than the #1 ranked in WA state.

This is the plight of the WA State 5-star.
    Loyal to the Californian soil!
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448

I think Huard has a chance to start in 2025 with 2 years left but it’s a long road ahead and he has to choose to take it. I’ll give him a full year under DeBoer and Grubb before I write him off entirely but it’s not looking good. Between our coaches and the transfer portal I’m not too worried about QB anymore, which is about the complete opposite place I’ve been since Rick.

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Penix is actually eligible again next year, but he could go pro
    Penix would be great in the XFL?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    chuck said:

chuck said:

TheHB said:

Morris has a better chance of being a good starter than Huard. If Huard was a run of the mill 3 star QB, he wouldn’t even be mentioned on these boards. The ranking comment was directly directly towards you. There are quite a few on here that pretend it matters and still has relevance.

His arm is average. He isn’t a runner so his athleticism is average. He has the weakest arm of our 3 QB’s and it isn’t close.