Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ST comments do not have a downvote option anymore?

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club
    edited April 2014

BREAKING NEWS: Portland is still the most pussified city in the most pussified state in the union.

crisped
    agreed

Two pantywastesare arguing with me on FB because I called out stay-at-home dads. One lives in Portland, one Suckattle, but both are from Seattle.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,921 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

If you have to compare your city to Portland to validate it, you've already lost the war.

Portland is constantly comparing itself to Seattle...with sandy results

See Sven for more details
    Pretty sure it was the other way around in this thread, and you brought up the comparison.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited April 2014
    Modest Mouse > Soundgarden

Nirvana was as much a Portland product as a Seattle one. They played as many early gigs in Portland as Seattle.

Seriously, this is the most $75K argument I have ever fucking heard.

Which I think makes this entire argument $75K x $75K.

If you can't see that the lesbian bookstore in Portlandia is the essence of the entire PNW, then I can't help you.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

If you have to compare your city to Portland to validate it, you've already lost the war.

Pretty sure it was the other way around in this thread, and you brought up the comparison.
    True, but great sample size of one. I was speaking more generally.

I actually like Portland, Eugene, and the state of Oregon, but I know lots of poasters on here were born in that region so I tried to ruffle some feathers
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

Nirvana was as much a Portland product as a Seattle one.

holy fucking shit.

No, just no on these two points.

AiC>>> Pearl Jam>> Soundgarden>> Mudhoney>>>>>>Nirvana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Modest Mouse

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    AZDuck said:

Nirvana was as much a Portland product as a Seattle one. They played as many early gigs in Portland as Seattle.

If you can't see that the lesbian bookstore in Portlandia is the essence of the entire PNW, then I can't help you.

I stopped reading after that nonsense. You omissions of Pearl Jam and Jimmy Hendrix speaks volumes.

Oh and Portland has Ever Clear so that is minus points in itself.

AZDuck said:

I stopped reading after that nonsense. You omissions of Pearl Jam and Jimmy Hendrix speaks volumes.

Seattle also has The Presidents of the USA and the Foo Fighters, though I'm not a fan of either band. Dave Grohl is talented, though. Kenny G tears up the jazz scene, but again, not that big a fan.

Seattle also has a rap scene. Sir Mix-A-Lot in the 90's, Macklemore (whether you like him or hate him) has made a fuckton of money and publicity, lots of good underground artists now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

AZDuck said:

Seattle also has The Presidents of the USA and the Foo Fighters, though I'm not a fan of either band. Dave Grohl is talented, though. Kenny G tears up the jazz scene, but again, not that big a fan.

Seattle also has a rap scene. Sir Mix-A-Lot in the 90's, Macklemore (whether you like him or hate him) has made a fuckton of money and publicity, lots of good underground artists now.
    I don't count Foo Fighters since Grohl isn't from here and I believe none of the other members are either.

However, your point is still on. AZDuck was just quooking it up like usual.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,921 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

True, but great sample size of one. I was speaking more generally.

I actually like Portland, Eugene, and the state of Oregon, but I know lots of poasters on here were born in that region so I tried to ruffle some feathers
    You can pump your own gas.
    All other 90's grunge bands were just trying to be Nirvana. Nirvana was copying the Pixies.

Jimi Hendrix is in his own category.

DON'T PUMP MY GAS DOG

holy fucking shit.

AiC>>> Pearl Jam>> Soundgarden>> Mudhoney>>>>>>Nirvana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Modest Mouse

PJ was and is rebranded classic rock

so?!

they're awesome
    upvoted for actual LOL

AZDuck said:

Of all the stupid shit splattered over this site, nay the Internet, this is stupidest, most splattered shit. I don't even have a problem with Modest Mouse really. Of all bands with the vocal stylings of an epileptic during a sneezing fit, they're up near the top. But MM is making bad coffee in the Lebanese-owned lobby Starbucks whilst Soundgarden is doing hookers-n-blow in the penthouse of One Rockatomi Plaza. To say anything else is AZDuckFS.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

All other 90's grunge bands were just trying to be Nirvana. Nirvana was copying the Pixies.

DON'T PUMP MY GAS DOG

You got the Pixies and Hendrix part right. Nirvana was also copying The Melvins, who way pre-date Nirvana. AiC, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone (more glam than grunge but still), Gruntruck, Green River, Mudhoney, and on and on either came before or essentially at the same time.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

AZDuck said:

Nirvana was as much a Portland product as a Seattle one.

holy fucking shit.

Flip Pearl Jam and Nirvana and that's my list.

In fairness to me, I hate grunge
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    AZDuck said:

DON'T PUMP MY GAS DOG

Right. And Duck fans started hating UW when RN let the Dawgs dance on the O.