Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Offseason Natty Thread: Portals, Assistant Coaches, Leopard Jackets, etc.

Comments

• OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 583
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

OreDawg said:

If Orlondo stays in Canada, likely means he just really didn’t want to go back to CFB, but DeBoer misread his interest.

If he goes to another CFB program, it means we are cheap fucks and We aren’t going anywhere until Jen Cohen is gone.

In isolation sure, no big deal. Orlondo was quoted recently as prizing "work-life balance", so if he stays in the CFL it's likely that that's just due to him being one of the rare breed of coaches who actually cares about his individual and family well-being.

But contextually that'd be a big fucking failure by Deboner. All signs seem to indicate that we were waiting on Orlondo to decide, and if Deboner wasn't able to get a read or answer from him in that period then he miscalculated terribly and wasted two weeks of other potential assistants going elsewhere, and recruiting defensive prospects.
    The only way it’s not a massive fuck up is if he’s got someone else in his pocket that is also a great hire. If it’s Inge it’s a big fuckup. Maybe DeBoner is just being deliberate and wants to give himself every chance to make the right hire, but to me he’s scrambling until proven otherwise. Personally I’d call Daronte Jones today.
  • PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited December 2021
    Even if it is a fuck up… steinauer apparently hates recruiting. Even if he was a pretty decent coordinator we need the entire staff to recruit, especially since Lincoln Riley is apparently doing everything to can to keep Donte Williams at USC. BTP’s defense was always that Williams as co-DC could pick up the recruiting slack for steinauer. Now that’s not a defense anymore.

And it makes sense for a guy who hates recruiting but isn’t good enough to be an nfl coordinator to stay in the cfl especially if he’s enjoying success on the field there.
  • honeybadger40honeybadger40 Member Posts: 60
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2021

Fatters just said the same on Dawgman. Really disappointing if true. We really are going to have the entire Fresno staff + Junior aren't we?

This is what happens when UW is cheap AF and your head coach doesn't have connections at the P5 level.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,061
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Beno4Life said:
    Do you prefer “Dollar Tree” Tom Herman?

• HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 992
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Go get Jeff Choate.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Go get Jeff Choate.

Choate was my favorite Petersen guy the day he showed up at UW. He has a kind of scruffy, tuff yet engaging personality, and showed it was effective at recruiting.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Go get Jeff Choate.

Choate was my favorite Petersen guy the day he showed up at UW. He has a kind of scruffy, tuff yet engaging personality, and showed it was effective at recruiting.
    He and kwat sucked really bad this past year. Not sure why you’d want to overpay for him now.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Go get Jeff Choate.

He and kwat sucked really bad this past year. Not sure why you’d want to overpay for him now.
    Well, I didn't say that. I was referring to what I thought six years ago.

What he did in one season under Sark means nothing to me though. Zero.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Word on the Discord is Huff is staying as OL coach
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 992
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

chuck said:

Go get Jeff Choate.

Hard to know how much if that is just Kwat's fault, or even Sark's fault, or just the Texas cultures fault. It might take more than one year to improve the culture of a defense at Texas even if they've been getting tons of overrated 4* and 5* guys for the last few years.

But Choate was a great DL coach and is a great recruiter. What option do we have that is better now that we whiffed on the guy for whom we were waiting 2 weeks?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Go get Jeff Choate.

Perhaps DeBoer is giving Huff another year to secure Conerly and Brailsford and then showing him the door next offseason if the oline performance doesn’t dramatically improve
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

Go get Jeff Choate.

Hard to know how much if that is just Kwat's fault, or even Sark's fault, or just the Texas cultures fault. It might take more than one year to improve the culture of a defense at Texas even if they've been getting tons of overrated 4* and 5* guys for the last few years.

But Choate was a great DL coach and is a great recruiter. What option do we have that is better now that we whiffed on the guy for whom we were waiting 2 weeks?
    I don’t know who but hiring someone currently failing at their job is not the answer.

Any coach involved is at fault. They did dipshit things and got dipshit results. Like when a team is trying to run out the clock let’s play two deep safeties obnoxiously deep. Sound familiar?

The defense gave up leads consistently and just wasn’t very good overall. Sucked at angles and tackling among many other things. They make a ton of money now too so you would have to pay Choate more than he is worth.
    Get Nabou back also. Agbo is my second favorite in state guy behind Conerly, guess he’s gone though
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Perhaps DeBoer is giving Huff another year to secure Conerly and Brailsford and then showing him the door next offseason if the oline performance doesn’t dramatically improve
    DeBoer keeping Huff and Adams probably has more to do with keeping the young WR and OL from portaling while giving them a chance to coach under a new offensive scheme (with a new attitude).

The fact that we're keeping Huff and dropped Vega means they're liking making a shift on OL philosophy.